• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Strategy for losing a toenail

Kasee

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: '22, '23, '24
Portugues: 23
Invierno: 24
Two weeks ago, I did a pretty hilly 18-mile training hike. Apparently, one corner of a toenail was a tiny bit too long and even though I didn't feel it while I was hiking, there was some pink under the toenail. (I'm a former marathon runner, so I keep my toenails super, super short. So this is a big surprise to me!) Over time, it's turned a very light purple, and I think that it's not enough to lose the toenail, but I'm not 100% sure.

I leave for my Camino in less than two weeks. If I'm on the trail and lose the nail, how do I protect the nailbed? My guess is that I should put some second skin (not Compeed) over the exposed nailbed and then tape over it. Will that be enough protection?

Thanks for your collective wisdom.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Two weeks ago, I did a pretty hilly 18-mile training hike. Apparently, one corner of a toenail was a tiny bit too long and even though I didn't feel it while I was hiking, there was some pink under the toenail. (I'm a former marathon runner, so I keep my toenails super, super short. So this is a big surprise to me!) Over time, it's turned a very light purple, and I think that it's not enough to lose the toenail, but I'm not 100% sure.

I leave for my Camino in less than two weeks. If I'm on the trail and lose the nail, how do I protect the nailbed? My guess is that I should put some second skin (not Compeed) over the exposed nailbed and then tape over it. Will that be enough protection?

When I was in the same situation on a Camino I just kept the nailbed nicely desinfected and then some Omnifix ( papertape) or a sterile compress wrapped around.
Never been a fan of second skin!

Happens to me routinely on a few of my toes.

As SabineP has suggested, a stretchy medical tape such a Omnifix adds protection. For my most problematic toe (one that is longer than it's neighbours and curls under a bit too) I also use a gel toe cap over the tape for added protection. It may feel bulky when first put on, but I actually never notice in when walking.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That happened to me in May, walking the West Highland Way... broken-in shoes had given me no problems and then there was that. My husband thought it looked like a blister under the nail and was dying to needle-prick the nail to relieve the pressure. Eventually, I let him do it. I put antibiotic ointment and a band-aid on in a way to keep pressure off the nail. Eventually, the nail came off with no pain. I'll tackle the Camino Frances in a few weeks. Good luck!

I have lost nails from a few smaller toes. The nail dies and a new nail is already growing to replace the old nail. Never experienced an exposed nail bed. I just keep the old one short. Hopefully you’ll not have to worry about an exposed nail bed.

I have lost nails from a few smaller toes. The nail dies and a new nail is already growing to replace the old nail. Never experienced an exposed nail bed. I just keep the old one short. Hopefully you’ll not have to worry about an exposed nail bed.
Thanks for your reply. Fingers crossed that if I lose the mail, it’ll be slow motion rather than all at once. 🙂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This year on the CP I blackened a big toe. When the nail came off, I protected the nail bed with a small patch cut from a gel toe protector in the shape of the nail bed, and taped it on with a paper dressing tape. After a few days, the skin hardened up enough not to need any additional cover.

Where I was at risk of developing a blister on a smaller toe, I used a gel toe protector on that as well.

They are readily available at pharmacies, although Portuguese and Spanish farmacias seem to put a premium on the price. I now carry one in my first aid kit.

This year on the CP I blackened a big toe. When the nail came off, I protected the nail bed with a small patch cut from a gel toe protector in the shape of the nail bed, and taped it on with a paper dressing tape. After a few days, the skin hardened up enough not to need any additional cover.

Where I was at risk of developing a blister on a smaller toe, I used a gel toe protector on that as well.

They are readily available at pharmacies, although Portuguese and Spanish farmacias seem to put a premium on the price. I now carry one in my first aid kit.
Thanks! Ordered gel toe protectors.

I just ordered some to bring with me. Thanks for the tip!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I have lost quite a few big toe nails. I have never had a problem after, the skin underneath dries out pretty quickly, even before the nail comes away. Goodluck

Having lost the nails on each big toe a few times, I have learned to keep the nailbed protected and moist to keep the new nail growth somewhat soft. I have used second skin for over 35 years.
My technique is leave the old nail in place, then only trim the very distal part of the nail as needed, and thus limit the possibility not an ingrown nail. I cut a generous portion of second skin and place it over the effected area and use the adhesive dressing for protective bulk padding, and if need be, reinforce with blister tape. This has worked well for toes, other blisters, abrasions, minor cuts, road rash, etc. Be sure to have plenty of the adhesive dressing and sheets of the second skin. If you are in the USA, Walgreens sells the second skin sheets labeled as " moist burn dressing". Omnifix Dressing Retention Tape is a roll of product that you need to cut or tear, and similar to the second skin adhesive covering.
Good luck.

I lost 8 toe nails while walking the Norte in 2019. Just ignored them and continued to march. Took a long time to grow back. Actually looking at my left foot right now , I see that I have still not completely grown back the two toenailsIi lost on the Primitivo in May of this year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have lost quite a few big toe nails. I have never had a problem after, the skin underneath dries out pretty quickly, even before the nail comes away. Goodluck
Thanks for the sanity check. Fingers crossed that I get to keep the nail.

I lost 8 toe nails while walking the Norte in 2019. Just ignored them and continued to march. Took a long time to grow back. Actually looking at my left foot right now , I see that I have still not completely grown back the two toenailsIi lost on the Primitivo in May of this year.
Yikes! Good to know that losing a toenail doesn't keep you from moving forward. Thanks for the info.

Having lost the nails on each big toe a few times, I have learned to keep the nailbed protected and moist to keep the new nail growth somewhat soft. I have used second skin for over 35 years.
My technique is leave the old nail in place, then only trim the very distal part of the nail as needed, and thus limit the possibility not an ingrown nail. I cut a generous portion of second skin and place it over the effected area and use the adhesive dressing for protective bulk padding, and if need be, reinforce with blister tape. This has worked well for toes, other blisters, abrasions, minor cuts, road rash, etc. Be sure to have plenty of the adhesive dressing and sheets of the second skin. If you are in the USA, Walgreens sells the second skin sheets labeled as " moist burn dressing". Omnifix Dressing Retention Tape is a roll of product that you need to cut or tear, and similar to the second skin adhesive covering.
Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I have second skin, paper tape, and gel toe caps. My thought was to use second skin as you suggested.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, from all the responses to your question, a toenail issue isn't a rarity. On the second day of my Camino, I walked downhill in wet shoes (I know, DUMB!) and found at the end of the day that my big toe nail was already loose. I didn't want to pull the nail off, so I just wrapped gauze around it with some tape to hold it in place. I had to do this every day, but it worked, and I took the nail off when I got home. After about a year, everything was back to normal. It really wasn't a problem for me, but maybe I was lucky. Don't worry, I won't send any pictures...

Well, from all the responses to your question, a toenail issue isn't a rarity. On the second day of my Camino, I walked downhill in wet shoes (I know, DUMB!) and found at the end of the day that my big toe nail was already loose. I didn't want to pull the nail off, so I just wrapped gauze around it with some tape to hold it in place. I had to do this every day, but it worked, and I took the nail off when I got home. After about a year, everything was back to normal. It really wasn't a problem for me, but maybe I was lucky. Don't worry, I won't send any pictures...
😂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I developed a blister under my second toe on the left foot, walking the hill down to Zubiri. My toe exploded by the time I was in Pamplona and I thought I would have to leave the Camino. Found out from a pilgrim that not only is my left foot way bigger than my right, but I also raise my fat toe and second toe as I walk thus scrapping the shoe top. He told me to wrap the second toe to the third and to buy my shoes according to my left foot size, wider and a tad larger. I did and was able to finish Camino. I been following that advice ever since. Been on many hikes with no problems! My toe nail did grow back but it took a long time to come out normal. Hope this helps! Buen Camino

I developed a blister under my second toe on the left foot, walking the hill down to Zubiri. My toe exploded by the time I was in Pamplona and I thought I would have to leave the Camino. Found out from a pilgrim that not only is my left foot way bigger than my right, but I also raise my fat toe and second toe as I walk thus scrapping the shoe top. He told me to wrap the second toe to the third and to buy my shoes according to my left foot size, wider and a tad larger. I did and was able to finish Camino. I been following that advice ever since. Been on many hikes with no problems! My toe nail did grow back but it took a long time to come out normal. Hope this helps! Buen Camino
Thank you! Glad your story had a happy ending.

Hi, I lost two big toe nails on the camino frances this year... I let the old nails pop off naturally, took about two months but meant the new nails had re grown a good bit first but I just kept them covered with a simple white breathable dressing with some soft cushioning over the nail part while finishing the CF. I was then doing the camino portuguese a few months later and one nail just popped off a week before I was due to leave so I had a new but very delicate new nail growing. Thought maybe not so wise to walk but my chiropodist advised to just keep it covered with a soft dressing so I did the same as on the camino frances and just covered with a small breathable dressing and it worked fine...no issues. I find if I bulk it too much with toe protectors etc, the shoes feels to compressed on me so the dressing added adequate protection but no bulk. Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was in a similar position and visited a farmacia. The lovely lady suggested a padding dressing and Topionic, an antiseptic liquid I had not seen in the UK. I kept the nail cut back and dressed but lifted it slightly and applied the Topionic under the nail, a few few gentle lifts allowed it to work its way underneath. By the time the nail was gone the nailbed was pretty toughened. The big thing is to avoid an infection, pain and discomfort we can live with

I was in a similar position and visited a farmacia. The lovely lady suggested a padding dressing and Topionic, an antiseptic liquid I had not seen in the UK. I kept the nail cut back and dressed but lifted it slightly and applied the Topionic under the nail, a few few gentle lifts allowed it to work its way underneath. By the time the nail was gone the nailbed was pretty toughened. The big thing is to avoid an infection, pain and discomfort we can live with
Thank you!

Kasee, with time to spare why not visit a podiatrist, especially one who focuses on sport podiatry. Me encanta mi doctora de pies (I love my podiatrist) and she has kept me on the caminos and trails for 7 years treating various but usually minor maladies. OK, the black big toenail was minor but the heel pain was not and my custom orthotics are lifesavers (sorry for being a little too dramatic).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I strongly suggest a visit to a podiatrist. You will find many in all the larger cities along the CF. Twice I’ve just knocked on the door without an appointment and was seen within an hour or so. The podiatrist will assess your unique situation and decide whether to save the toenail or to remove it as painlessly as possible. All in a sterile environment so as to avoid infection. She/he will also look at the other toes and your feet to check how things are going. These 2 visits made finishing pain-free my Caminos. Now when I walk the Camino I see a podiatrist BEFORE I get on the plane. I now arrive in Santiago with happy feet.

Well, the rest of the story is that the toenail made it back to California, where I saw a podiatrist who removed it. It was painless since it was barely hanging on as it was. That was October of 2022. I’m doing the Frances again in May and my new toenail will almost be completely regrown just in time!

Well, the rest of the story is that the toenail made it back to California, where I saw a podiatrist who removed it. It was painless since it was barely hanging on as it was. That was October of 2022. I’m doing the Frances again in May and my new toenail will almost be completely regrown just in time!
Have a great Camino Kasee! I’ve walked the Camino Frances 3 of the past 4 years in May so will be missing all those red poppies this year! My experience is that it gets better each time. Having healthy toes really helps!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have a great Camino Kasee! I’ve walked the Camino Frances 3 of the past 4 years in May so will be missing all those red poppies this year! My experience is that it gets better each time. Having healthy toes really helps!
Wonderful! We loved the Fall, and are super excited to see the poppies!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.