• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Strategy on staying more than one night in a town

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 fall
I had heard/read that staying in the Albergues is limited to one night and then they kick everyone out early to get ready for the next day's guest? If so how best to arrange staying multiple nights in a place?
- stay in the next Albergues in town
- stay in a private hostel/hotel in those towns
- stays are not limited, just talk to the owners
- any other strategies/ thoughts?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Municipal and church albergues will usually allow only one night's stay unless you are sick or injured. Private albergues are more likely to allow longer stays. If you are walking the Camino Frances in the main season then you should have plenty of private options to choose from - especially in larger towns where most people would choose to spend two or more nights. Simply moving from one municipal/parish albergue to another in the same town would be an abuse of the system in my opinion.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Municipal and church albergues will usually allow only one night's stay unless you are sick or injured. Private albergues are more likely to allow longer stays. If you are walking the Camino Frances in the main season then you should have plenty of private options to choose from - especially in larger towns where most people would choose to spend two or more nights. Simply moving from one municipal/parish albergue to another in the same town would be an abuse of the system in my opinion.
Thanks, so private albergues sound like the way to go. When you stay more than one night would you leave your stuff there or take it with you around town? Guess this would depend on their facilities if they have lockers or not?

Thanks, so private albergues sound like the way to go. When you stay more than one night would you leave your stuff there or take it with you around town? Guess this would depend on their facilities if they have lockers or not?
On the occasions where I have stayed two nights in the same place I leave my pack, sleeping bag and so on in the albergue during the day but always keep my valuable items on my person at all times: passport, wallet, credencial and mobile phone. It's very unlikely that a thief would have much interest in the rest of my gear.

I have seen all three options you suggest used at various times. My own preference is to find a hotel.

The other approach to spending more time in some place is to plan a short day before that place, and then perhaps a short day afterwards. I find mornings are less useful for sightseeing, as fewer places you might want to visit will open early in the day. But if you stay in a hotel, hostel or private albergue, you won't be required to leave quite as early as you would in an albergue

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Honestly, i apreciate a bit of privacy when staying in the bigger cities for an extra day. So for me it is usually Airbnb and the likes. On rare occasions, hotels. That all depends on how the pricing and my mood is.
My walking family and me also shared an Airbnb / Appartment on a few occasions. If you can fill the beds, it can be almost as cheap as an albergue.

So it's a kind of balance. How much you willing to spend. How much you want or need to isolate. Do you want to involve other people. What day or public holiday is it?
There's many options and variables, but you'll find something. Be sure of that.

I have seen all three options you suggest used at various times. My own preference is to find a hotel.

The other approach to spending more time in some place is to plan a short day before that place, and then perhaps a short day afterwards. I find mornings are less useful for sightseeing, as fewer places you might want to visit will open early in the day. But if you stay in a hotel, hostel or private albergue, you won't be required to leave quite as early as you would in an albergue
I like this option. Thanks for the input.

In municipal albergues you generally cannot stay more than 1 night unless you are sick/injured… and then only if permitted to extend. In private albergues it varies. Also - many albergues do want everyone to leave during cleaning hours. Personally - if sick or injured, I think it is better to stay in a private room somewhere if at all possible to you don’t get others sick and so you can rest. If planning to stay 2 nights for any reason - I am more likely to get a private room so I don’t have to worry about cleaning hours and can come and go as I please and rest when I want to rest. If I wanted to save money - I might get a private room the first night somewhere with a later checkout and then a municipal bed the next night. I know many who did that -

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are many private albergues where you can stay more than one night. But you will probably have to vacate for a while when they clean.
Over the years I have probably stayed 10 or more times in an albergue for two days. Each time I was asked to leave when they cleaned up. I could always leave my backpack and just take my valuables that are in my moneybelt.

I can think of 2 two reasons, why a Pilgrim's may switch from one place to the other in the same town. First, it's a Pilgrim's is not quite familiar with the system, and after the first night, finds out that they can't spend a second night. Secondly, if money is really really tight, so the Pilgrim's needs to spend the first night in a more expensive municipal or parish albergue.

I had heard/read that staying in the Albergues is limited to one night and then they kick everyone out early to get ready for the next day's guest? If so how best to arrange staying multiple nights in a place?
- stay in the next Albergues in town
- stay in a private hostel/hotel in those towns
- stays are not limited, just talk to the owners
- any other strategies/ thoughts?
There is a regular hostel in Burgos where you can stay for days on end. It's not as inexpensive as the albergues, but it's central and affordable. There may be other non-pilgrim hostels in other places as well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a regular hostel in Burgos where you can stay for days on end. It's not as inexpensive as the albergues, but it's central and affordable. There may be other non-pilgrim hostels in other places as well.
You could also get an apartment. A 1 bedroom is sometimes 50-60 a night. Usually you will have a washer and can buy groceries and prepare some meals which also saves money over pilgrim meals. Try to hit big cities during the week. Prices are always higher on weekend.

You could also get an apartment. A 1 bedroom is sometimes 50-60 a night. Usually you will have a washer and can buy groceries and prepare some meals which also saves money over pilgrim meals. Try to hit big cities during the week. Prices are always higher on weekend.
Thanks about the weekday tip. Had not thought of that, but it is logical.

Here's a strategy: just keep going. I used a strategy where I did a short day into a city I wanted to explore. So, I stayed the night before at a location that was fairly close to the city. I hiked into the city and explored it to my hearts content, then I continued on the next day. I used that strategy for Leon, where I stayed in Puente Villarente the night before, and Burgos where I stayed in Atapuerca the night before. I did that for Logrono where I stayed at Torres del Rio, but I couldn't do it for Pamplona because I got a bed in Zubiri and if I continued I was afraid I would not get a bed. Still I managed to see all the sights I wanted to see in Pamplona (Hemingway Statue, Running of the Bulls Statue and Wound Ignatius Statue)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Privates aren't actually a LOT more expensive than an albergue if two or more people are sharing.
I leave my backpack but NEVER leave anything I can't afford to replace.
That means I take ALL electronics, cash, credit cards, passport, phone, etc, in a daypack.

That means I take ALL electronics, cash, credit cards, passport, phone, etc, in a daypack.
I prefer to wear trousers with zipped pockets and I carry all those items in those. There is a slight chance that I might put down a daypack somewhere and then walk off without it but I haven't quite reached the stage of mental confusion where I might inadvertently remove my trousers in public then leave them behind.

If the only people in the building are the owners or their staff, your property is safe.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I prefer to wear trousers with zipped pockets and I carry all those items in those. There is a slight chance that I might put down a daypack somewhere and then walk off without it but I haven't quite reached the stage of mental confusion where I might inadvertently remove my trousers in public then leave them behind.
Actually I carry a lot of this in my giant kangaroo Macabi Skirt pockets for the same reason. :)

Everyone's comments has given me lots to consider, not just about staying over, but bigger/more pockets and minimizing things that won't fit in pockets. I was planning on taking one of my camera's, but I'll have to re-think the options.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Everyone's comments has given me lots to consider, not just about staying over, but bigger/more pockets and minimizing things that won't fit in pockets. I was planning on taking one of my camera's, but I'll have to re-think the options.
I use a small shoulder bag for camera and documents etc.

I use a small shoulder bag for camera and documents etc.
Likewise. I can get my wallet, documents and my guidebook into shirt and trouser pockets, but for walking around towns and doing shopping I have a very light daypack that carries things I would otherwise have in my regular pack like my camera.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not sure how you would know that? There could be other "pilgrims" or ??
If you are staying in an albergue, it will be firmly closed from about 8 till 1 or 2 while they clean up. That's what I meant. Outside of those hours you have the same problem whether you stay one night or two. Otherwise, you have a private room, which you can lock.

Last edited:
I ran into an issue when I needed to take a injury related rest day in Burgos or Leon (this was 2015, the details are fuzzy). Hobbled into town and was told at the large municipal that we could only stay one night unless I had a doctors note. Seeing a doctor wasn't going to happen, after trying to track one down I ran into some major language issues/ and it may have been a Sunday. So on the morning of the second day, we lined up for the church run donative and got their two last beds. Our budget was pretty limited so private rooms were out of the question. Anyways it worked out, but I felt pretty anxious about it all.

ps. A camino angel was at our first albergue and she had just been to the doctor a few days before with the exact same issues and was able to tell me what she was told to do, and after the rest day, a compression thing and something topical, my ankle was fine for the rest of the CF.

I've had to stay multiple nights in both private and municipal albergues due to illness, injury (and once because I wanted to stay in town and extra night.) Always involved having to leave for a while for cleaning. I think I had to stay in Leon 3 nights, they were really nice about it, I was afraid to ask because the rule was one night only, I was having trouble walking.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back