• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Strava heat maps

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances from Le Puy-en-Velay ('10-12) from Montgenevre '14-15) from Vezelay ('18), from Seville 2020
Has anyone used Strava heat maps to navigate on VdlP? I'm starting in Sevilla. I will find albergues, etc. with Gerald Kelly's guide. The heat maps can tell me where I am, but do the paths most traveled pertain to the Camino? It worked for me on the Gr 5 in Alsace. Just wondering?

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A heat map for navigation is an unwise idea, it is not really designed for that purpose and lacks any kind of review. It might work, but on the VdlP you may just as likely get noise from a different (and more popular) local hike that coincides with the camino.

Good advice. I hope someone who has tried it on this particular trail can describe their experience.
P.S. I've relied on your advice, too. Thank you for that (belatedly).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Generally the yellow arrows (and other signposting) are enough. This heatmap thing doesn't seem like a good idea for following a little-frequented Camino. The Maps CZ app has the Via (if a little out of date).

Generally the yellow arrows (and other signposting) are enough. This heatmap thing doesn't seem like a good idea for following a little-frequented Camino. The Maps CZ app has the Via (if a little out of date).
Thanks. It seems that the experts are in agreement. Yesterday I looked at the maps in your 2023 VdlP guide and zoomed in with the heat maps. I found that, at least to Merida, the heat maps could confirm the route that is on paper. I always prefer the arrows, but sometimes they're not there when you need them. I'll definitely check out Maps CZ.
Still, there must be someone who has tried the heat maps. Where are you?

I have no idea what a heat map is and after trying to read the description of what it is I got bored. Just walk north until you and get a little past Zamora and decide what you want to do. If you want to go to Astorga and then keep walking north or if you want to to on the Sanabria than start walking west and a little north. Wise Pilgrim has an app with a GPS map that will keep you in the right direction. It really is easy;):)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks. It seems that the experts are in agreement. Yesterday I looked at the maps in your 2023 VdlP guide and zoomed in with the heat maps. I found that, at least to Merida, the heat maps could confirm the route that is on paper. I always prefer the arrows, but sometimes they're not there when you need them. I'll definitely check out Maps CZ.
Still, there must be someone who has tried the heat maps. Where are you?
If you send me an email to the address in the guide I can send you GPS tracks for the whole Via. Also the guide in PDF format.

I have no idea what a heat map is and after trying to read the description of what it is I got bored. Just walk north until you and get a little past Zamora and decide what you want to do. If you want to go to Astorga and then keep walking north or if you want to to on the Sanabria than start walking west and a little north. Wise Pilgrim has an app with a GPS map that will keep you in the right direction. It really is easy;):)
Very logical. I got it.

I'll definitely check out Maps CZ.
It's mapy.cz

There's a website version, and app versions for every platform. The Windows desktop version is great, but obviously you can't take that with you. Smartphone versions are good too, and I'd suppose the tablet versions to be even better.

The one version that's seriously out of date is the Windows Phone one.

Apart from that it's free, and the offline map downloads are free as well. It gets map updates every two months or so, except on Windows Phone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It might be worth looking at Wikilocs. They will probably have more than one person's VdlP and often with notes and extra info. I have used it on other caminos.

It might be worth looking at Wikilocs. They will probably have more than one person's VdlP and often with notes and extra info. I have used it on other caminos.
I'll have a look. Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.