• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stray dogs on the Caminos - article and video

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
A local tv station in Galicia has a report on the continuing problem of dogs following pilgrims on the Caminos and becoming separated from their owners. A major problem for some local authorities like Fisterra. The report notes that an animal rescue centre which works for the local authorities is currently housing nearly 450 dogs. Pilgrims are advised not to feed or pet dogs which are loose as that encourages them to follow pilgrims.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This has long been a problem; I was on the Primitivo when a dog began to follow a group of pilgrims for about 3km. Another pilgrim, a young officer from the German army, perceived what was happening and took it upon himself to walk the dog back to its home. He did so succesfully and I met him later in Fonsagrada, and was happy to stand him a cerveza (grande) while he waited for his albergue to open.

This has long been a problem; I was on the Primitivo when a dog began to follow a group of pilgrims for about 3km.
It also happened to me and another pilgrim on the Primitivo. We took the dog to the ayuntamiento in the next town and they tried to reunite it with the owner. Since then I have been careful to chase off any dogs which have tried to follow me. Happened again on the Frances this January.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think it might be a problem of cultural background and habits.

Where I live, it is very rare to see a dog roam around without its owner close by. If you find a dog here that is not accompanied by an owner, it is assumed that it is lost or homeless, and it's normal procedure to take it to a shelter (we don't have kill shelters here, so it's an easy decision since no harm will come to the animal), so it can be reunited with its owner or be adopted by someone else.

Also, in other countries owned dogs might not look as well cared for as one might expect from one's own country.

So the combination "roaming around all alone" + "not looking well groomed" + the fact that spain is a country that is (at least where I live) somewhat renowned for having many strays (prejudice?) might give some people the impression that the dog is homeless, while in fact it is not. And so they might think it's better to take it with them and bring it to a shelter than leave it behind. Not excusing the behaviour, just trying to find an explanation.

When I walked last year I noticed many flyers and posters that informed pilgrims about this problem. I think that's a good approach.

If all dogs were chipped and registered, that would also help reunite dogs with their owners when they accidentally get separated, may it be because of a pilgrim who misinterpreted the situation or something else.

Cats & Dogs need to be microchipped in Spain under article 11 of Ley Proteccion los Animales, which can be found on the Spanish government website (Gobierno de España)
Of course, if your dog isn’t chipped who can prove it’s your dog.
It is a good idea to chip them.

However, there has been discussions here at home to chip old people, too, for obvious reasons.

I hate the idea: If I want to leave, I don't want the Ms. to track me down.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nah. It’ll be great once we’re all chipped. No need for passports; no more “where’s my card”; no more “but I only stopped for one drink officer”: won’t even need to call home anymore- you’ll be on the live feed….

Aah for the simple life - chat monkeys feeding witty repartee straight into your earpiece and the bar service knowing what you want at the same moment you do

I think it might be a problem of cultural background and habits.

Where I live, it is very rare to see a dog roam around without its owner close by. If you find a dog here that is not accompanied by an owner, it is assumed that it is lost or homeless, and it's normal procedure to take it to a shelter (we don't have kill shelters here, so it's an easy decision since no harm will come to the animal), so it can be reunited with its owner or be adopted by someone else.

Also, in other countries owned dogs might not look as well cared for as one might expect from one's own country.

So the combination "roaming around all alone" + "not looking well groomed" + the fact that spain is a country that is (at least where I live) somewhat renowned for having many strays (prejudice?) might give some people the impression that the dog is homeless, while in fact it is not. And so they might think it's better to take it with them and bring it to a shelter than leave it behind. Not excusing the behaviour, just trying to find an explanation.

When I walked last year I noticed many flyers and posters that informed pilgrims about this problem. I think that's a good approach.

If all dogs were chipped and registered, that would also help reunite dogs with their owners when they accidentally get separated, may it be because of a pilgrim who misinterpreted the situation or something else.
I have fond memory of being still a good way from Los Arcos on a very hot day, probably 2014, when an energetic small dog bounded up the track. He ran well past us and I had the idea that he had been sent to check out how many pilgrims were still on the track, en route to "his" albergue. I'm not a doggie person but I did warm to his apparent dedication to task. He was probably just en route to meet his mates, but I favour my explanation.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.