• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stray dogs on the Caminos - article and video

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
A local tv station in Galicia has a report on the continuing problem of dogs following pilgrims on the Caminos and becoming separated from their owners. A major problem for some local authorities like Fisterra. The report notes that an animal rescue centre which works for the local authorities is currently housing nearly 450 dogs. Pilgrims are advised not to feed or pet dogs which are loose as that encourages them to follow pilgrims.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This has long been a problem; I was on the Primitivo when a dog began to follow a group of pilgrims for about 3km. Another pilgrim, a young officer from the German army, perceived what was happening and took it upon himself to walk the dog back to its home. He did so succesfully and I met him later in Fonsagrada, and was happy to stand him a cerveza (grande) while he waited for his albergue to open.

This has long been a problem; I was on the Primitivo when a dog began to follow a group of pilgrims for about 3km.
It also happened to me and another pilgrim on the Primitivo. We took the dog to the ayuntamiento in the next town and they tried to reunite it with the owner. Since then I have been careful to chase off any dogs which have tried to follow me. Happened again on the Frances this January.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think it might be a problem of cultural background and habits.

Where I live, it is very rare to see a dog roam around without its owner close by. If you find a dog here that is not accompanied by an owner, it is assumed that it is lost or homeless, and it's normal procedure to take it to a shelter (we don't have kill shelters here, so it's an easy decision since no harm will come to the animal), so it can be reunited with its owner or be adopted by someone else.

Also, in other countries owned dogs might not look as well cared for as one might expect from one's own country.

So the combination "roaming around all alone" + "not looking well groomed" + the fact that spain is a country that is (at least where I live) somewhat renowned for having many strays (prejudice?) might give some people the impression that the dog is homeless, while in fact it is not. And so they might think it's better to take it with them and bring it to a shelter than leave it behind. Not excusing the behaviour, just trying to find an explanation.

When I walked last year I noticed many flyers and posters that informed pilgrims about this problem. I think that's a good approach.

If all dogs were chipped and registered, that would also help reunite dogs with their owners when they accidentally get separated, may it be because of a pilgrim who misinterpreted the situation or something else.

Cats & Dogs need to be microchipped in Spain under article 11 of Ley Proteccion los Animales, which can be found on the Spanish government website (Gobierno de España)
Of course, if your dog isn’t chipped who can prove it’s your dog.
It is a good idea to chip them.

However, there has been discussions here at home to chip old people, too, for obvious reasons.

I hate the idea: If I want to leave, I don't want the Ms. to track me down.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nah. It’ll be great once we’re all chipped. No need for passports; no more “where’s my card”; no more “but I only stopped for one drink officer”: won’t even need to call home anymore- you’ll be on the live feed….

Aah for the simple life - chat monkeys feeding witty repartee straight into your earpiece and the bar service knowing what you want at the same moment you do

I think it might be a problem of cultural background and habits.

Where I live, it is very rare to see a dog roam around without its owner close by. If you find a dog here that is not accompanied by an owner, it is assumed that it is lost or homeless, and it's normal procedure to take it to a shelter (we don't have kill shelters here, so it's an easy decision since no harm will come to the animal), so it can be reunited with its owner or be adopted by someone else.

Also, in other countries owned dogs might not look as well cared for as one might expect from one's own country.

So the combination "roaming around all alone" + "not looking well groomed" + the fact that spain is a country that is (at least where I live) somewhat renowned for having many strays (prejudice?) might give some people the impression that the dog is homeless, while in fact it is not. And so they might think it's better to take it with them and bring it to a shelter than leave it behind. Not excusing the behaviour, just trying to find an explanation.

When I walked last year I noticed many flyers and posters that informed pilgrims about this problem. I think that's a good approach.

If all dogs were chipped and registered, that would also help reunite dogs with their owners when they accidentally get separated, may it be because of a pilgrim who misinterpreted the situation or something else.
I have fond memory of being still a good way from Los Arcos on a very hot day, probably 2014, when an energetic small dog bounded up the track. He ran well past us and I had the idea that he had been sent to check out how many pilgrims were still on the track, en route to "his" albergue. I'm not a doggie person but I did warm to his apparent dedication to task. He was probably just en route to meet his mates, but I favour my explanation.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.