• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stretching possibilities

CathyP

Cathy
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (2022)
My husband and I will be starting our first Camino in late April 2020, and are excited/nervous! This forum has been a real treasure for us. Thanks! We are regular walkers in our early 60’s, and have, between us, some past & ongoing back issues. To keep flexible and moving, we faithfully follow a daily regimen of stretches and light body weight exercises, mostly using a yoga mat. (We will have an ultralight type of pad with us.) This is our first activity of the day and we usually do a pared-down version before bed. I am wondering if veterans out there can picture this working in some way on a daily basis while on the CF? I’m sure we are not the only ones out there who are in our shoes with this, but it would be cool to be able to picture it a bit more clearly, based on this forum’s wealth of experience! Thank you in advance!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You’ll have 15-20 miles of mostly empty trail upon which to stretch every day! 😂. Albergues themselves can be a bit tight, but there’s usually outdoor areas at them to stretch out, plus a great number of village “parks” (don’t expect trees, grass, and ducks!) and rest areas where you can practice your exercises. A few stays even offered specific yoga rooms.

In short, it will work out. No worries.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A few years ago I stayed in an albergue where a fellow peregrina, a yoga instructor, led an impromptu stretching "class" in the evening. It was wonderful! Most albergues have some space that could work for a small group to stretch together if you would like to share. Just start and you will attract a following!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, most definitely possible. I shared my little room at the Azofra municipal albergue with another female who spent an hour in the evening doing her stretching stuff, and I woke up in the morning to the same. Didn’t bother me!

I am planning on doing stretches and yoga as well. Curious to know which yoga mat you chose.

You will be not alone doing this, no worries, where there is a will there is a space to stretch ;-)
BC SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As noted above, surely lots of room to stretch at night however I found myself stopping to stretch mostly during the day. It always felt good to take off the pack and roll the shoulders, hips, etc and in general, shake out the tension before it could build up too much. And of course, a good massage a couple of times along the way never hurts either!!

I am planning on doing stretches and yoga as well. Curious to know which yoga mat you chose.
The pad I am planning to take unless I find a better alternative is linked here. It weighs 14.5 oz.

The pad I am planning to take unless I find a better alternative is linked here. It weighs 14.5 oz.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I never bothered stretching or warming up - At least, not until I started getting cramp last year on the CF.
Luckily for me SWMBO was with me and I learned a few stretches from her. Now if I feel a bit cramp coming on I stop and do a few stretches. Never too old to learn a few tricks. 🧘‍♀️🧘‍♂️

That sleeping pad is designed with insulation from ground chill in mind, so it is heavier due to the additional material.

I do not know how much padding you actually need, but at 2.8 ounces, this sleeping pad is a heckuva lot lighter, and more compact for carry. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Cathy
You didn’t ask for this piece of advice, but anyway...
If you have back issues requiring stretching it will be more important than ever on the Camino. Day after day in a relatively static position can be very hard on the back in any circumstances so I suggest you continue your routine however well it is accepted by those around you and not matter what the circumstances. Don’t allow social constructs to ruin your Camino.
Buen Camino.
John

I'm a yoga instructor and planning on taking a mat-sized piece of Tyvek. This way I can be grounded, get a little bit of grip and protect myself from gravel or other roadside ouchies. And, it's waterproof so could also serve as an extra bit of coverage during a rainstorm.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband and I will be starting our first Camino in late April 2020, and are excited/nervous! This forum has been a real treasure for us. Thanks! We are regular walkers in our early 60’s, and have, between us, some past & ongoing back issues. To keep flexible and moving, we faithfully follow a daily regimen of stretches and light body weight exercises, mostly using a yoga mat. (We will have an ultralight type of pad with us.) This is our first activity of the day and we usually do a pared-down version before bed. I am wondering if veterans out there can picture this working in some way on a daily basis while on the CF? I’m sure we are not the only ones out there who are in our shoes with this, but it would be cool to be able to picture it a bit more clearly, based on this forum’s wealth of experience! Thank you in advance!
I can tell you one thing, I practiced a light yoga session at the end of the day or first thing in the morning on a few days walking the camino. I believe it will remove your stiffness and soreness and you will be able to face the daily challenge a little bit easier. I did not have the discipline to practice daily, but when I did, I was glad I did. Good luck and Buen Camino.

That sleeping pad is designed with insulation from ground chill in mind, so it is heavier due to the additional material.

I do not know how much padding you actually need, but at 2.8 ounces, this sleeping pad is a heckuva lot lighter, and more compact for carry. :)
Thank you, Dave, for this suggestion. I will check it out, for sure as we work to balance cushion needed with the weight of the pad. Trying to keep all things lightweight and minimal.

I'm a yoga instructor and planning on taking a mat-sized piece of Tyvek. This way I can be grounded, get a little bit of grip and protect myself from gravel or other roadside ouchies. And, it's waterproof so could also serve as an extra bit of coverage during a rainstorm.
Wow! I had no idea Tyvek had this use. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Some people I walked with a few days on the Camino francés always looked for the "Frontón" or ball court that most towns have. They did their stretches there every evening.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back