• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Strikes and disruptions at French airports

gregdedman

Hola all,

I thought that i'd start a topic regarding the troubles in France for anyone heading to the start of their Camino or indeed leaving for home.
In France millions of students and workers have been striking for a week and protesting against government reforms to up the age of retirement from 60 to 62 years of age. There have been reports of rioting, fuel blockades and actual taking over of individual airports.
A third of the whole countries 12,000 fuel stations have run out of fuel and closed, flights in, out, and even over France are being cancelled and trains are also being cancelled due to the shortages. Strikers have also blocked 3 of the country's largest gas supplies which is taking things to another level.

How does this affect us pilgrims?
Well if your flying to French airports, and catching the trains to st jean in the next few days, it could be a problem. I suggest checking with the airline your travelling with. Also remain flexible if you manage to get to france with regards to your onward travel to St Jean.

I do not know the 'real time' affect on the ground, as im supposed to be flying out in 6 days time myself so if there are any pilgrims out there who are stuck in this, do post if you can with any information you may have.

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Greg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My daughter (who will be a peregrina this time next year) has successfully flown from the UK to Nimes today on a school exchange trip. It's certainly possible to travel there and around at the moment, bearing in mind there is disruption and there are some days with General Strikes.

Andy

There were strikes going on last week too. Starting on Tuesday with all trains on the ground. Managed to get to Bayonne and Bordeaux from San Sebastian Wednesday on buses and the one train going that day to Paris. At home I would perhaps not have taken theese alternatives as a union member! My train to Norway was affected by a strike in the flightcontrol, but I arrived some hour after scedule getting less sleep before going to the north of Norway next morning. I hope the problems solve themselves along the road for people affected by the strikes.
In Norway the age of getting a pension normally is 67 unless you have a special agreement, so I think the age og 60 in France is luxurious. But I can understand young people worrying about getting work if the retirement age limit is raised.
ranthr

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
ranthr said:
In Norway the age of getting a pension normally is 67 unless you have a special agreement, so I think the age og 60 in France is luxurious. But I can understand young people worrying about getting work if the retirement age limit is raised.

I took advantage of an option to retire at 55. Still can't believe it after 32 years of 9:00 to 5:00. Canada's national old age pension begins at 65.

The French people are very vocal and it seems someone is always protesting or striking about something. Then there are a handful of militants and anarchists who set fire to cars and set up blockades. These are the people we see on the news.

If you get caught up in the strike, be flexible and willing to look at options. Bus, Plane, Trains.

Think of the strike as part of your journey. Monitor your feelings, what can you learn about yourself by it?

As with other problems, this too shall pass.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back