• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stroller or chariot

Mamama13

Time of past OR future Camino
Future (Sept 2019)
Finalizing purchase for my 6 year old. He’s weighs 38lbs. We’re carrying extra light packs so won’t be used for our cargo. He’ll be riding on long stretches and climbing inclines (at his pace). Trying to decide what’s will handle trail best: Bob Sport Utility Stroller, Burley D’Lite, Thule Chariot Cross?? Any thoughts?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My thought is that my six year old walked.
That said, we were a hiking family and she was accustomed to walking.
I would be inclined to cover a shorter distance and let a six year old walk, than to go "the whole way" pushing any contraption.
I do remember one day that was unexpectedly (because I had written a distance down incorrectly) more than 20km and daddy helped the last little bit:2012-09-12 Joe Spain 020.JPG

But mostly she walked, and often in front of everyone else or in step with a family member (she has seven siblings and Grandpa also went)
Spain Sept 19 Ferreiros (8).JPG Spain Sept 19 Ferreiros (12).JPG Spain Sept 12 Cacabelos (25).JPG Spain Sept 15 O Cebreiro (17).JPG
She was good at taking breaks when she was tired:Spain Sept 10 El Acebo (7).JPGJnJ Spain 2012 005.JPG

And was very engaged with exciting things to do and look at along the way:
Spain Sept 9 Rabanal (17).JPG Spain Sept 17 18 Sarria (35).JPG 2012-09-10 Joe Spain 2012 102.JPG (and journalling)

I do not share these things to say your six year old should walk - just to show something you may not have considered - what might be possible.

Buen camino

Thank you @Kiwi-family .
I'm not a parent so am not qualified to comment. But chiming in to say that I so appreciate the way you walk with your kids, Rachael - and love the photos.
@Mamama13 , I wish you and your son a buen camino - and hope you take up @Kiwi-family 's suggestion seriously. What a confidence-booster for any child, to have done this! And plenty have.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Finalizing purchase for my 6 year old. He’s weighs 38lbs. We’re carrying extra light packs so won’t be used for our cargo. He’ll be riding on long stretches and climbing inclines (at his pace). Trying to decide what’s will handle trail best: Bob Sport Utility Stroller, Burley D’Lite, Thule Chariot Cross?? Any thoughts?
For what it is worth, when we walked the Frances we ended up for several days in the same albergues as a Korean familiy whose children (ages 5 and 7) walked. So it may be doable without having to worry about a stroller. You know your child best, of course.

We were surprised that, having walked for 20 or so km during the day, the kids were in such good spirits (and had so much energy to run around!) at the albergues in the evening. Of course, the parents told us we weren't seeing the full story and during the day and the walk the kids were as prone to grumpiness as any other kids that age,

I would also suggest neither to take a stroller nor a chariot. A healthy 6-year-old child should be able to walk at least distances of 12-15 km a day and you should plan your stages accordingly instead of bothering you with buying and carrying things which you may need only occasionally or not at all. I guess, even calling a taxi if your son is not willing to walk on sometimes, may be cheaper.

My parents took me and my sister for walks every weekend and my mum told me that at the age of 5 I was already capable of walking distances of 20 to 25 km.

I did part of the CF from Astorga with my nephew (then 9). He carried his own backpack and was able to do daily distances of up to 28 km without problems. Even though there is a bigger difference between a child of 6 and a child of 9, you will see that they recover very easy. So if you allow for a longer lunch-break, your son will be willing to add some additional km, even if he told you that he was tired before.

Only thing that I would suggest, is to arrange for private accomodation as my nephew did not like the lack of intimacy in the bigger dorms of the albergues. If you pre-book accomodation this will also allow you to walk a relaxed day with breaks whenever your son demands them.

BC
Alexandra

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The topic is a recommendation of which device to acquire not whether or not their child should or should not walk.
Well, obviously so far none of us could recommend a device.... Sorry.
All the advice above is to suggest a child of six could walk.....
And I thoroughly agree with it. When it gets too much, you carry said child on shoulders. I have done it too, albeit not on the Camino.

The topic is a recommendation of which device to acquire not whether or not their child should or should not walk.
And the responce is - neither - a healthy 6 year old is capable of walking. It's not cruelty it's a matter of our natural ability as we have evolved to walk and throughout history children have walked. In my case up and down hills and mountains carrying my own pack. Likewise my daughter and nephew grew up with this approach and have all have very fond memories family tramps.

It may mean you stick with 20km days but attempting to do more per day with a kid is probably a bad idea. My concern over a child sitting and being pushed day after day is the bad affect this is likely to have in their spine. Where as walking is not only more natural it will build confidence and a sence of achievement.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.