• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Struggling on the Le Puy

• Thread starter Former member 59618
  • Start date
One thing I love about France, is the support I get when I try to speak French. And I am slow and I am sure I butcher the words at times and hurt peoples' ears. I know that my french is really bad, as I studied french decades ago, and have forgotten everything pretty much-- But people are patient, and smile, repeat themselves, and wait for me to understand. -- I usually begin with an apology-- something like this: "Pardon, je ne parle français, je suis desole. Je connais que nous sommes en France, mais parlez-vous anglais? Non? Alors, je vais essayer de parler francais, mais je vais faire beaucoup d'erreurs."
(Translated: Sorry, I don't speak French, I am really sorry. I know that we are in France, but do you speak english? No? Well, I will try to speak french, but I am going to make a lot of mistakes.)
my experience every time and all the way ... 2019 was the best experience for me when I walked 6 weeks solo ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,

I’m waking from Le Puy to Santiago and boy, am I on the struggle bus. I walked the Camino Frances 3 years ago, so I’m well aware of what to expect as far as life on The Way.

But the in the last week I’m just very resistant to walking. I speak only “survival French” (my Spanish is much better) and it’s been lonely at dinner with everyone chatting in French. I also don’t feel a tremendous urge to connect to people. One thing I do NOT like doing is booking ahead for rooms. I love walking into a town and staying where the mood strikes. Lots of places close on a Sunday and Monday, I have to plan to bring my lunch and everyone is consumed with “where are you going next?”. I don’t have a timeline to adhere to, I don’t care how many km you’ve walked (a topic that bores me to tears) and I feel lost.

Then I think “I shouldn’t feel this way! I’m back on the Camino, in France, with the best fromage! And adorable villages!! Why am I feeling this way?”

I’m in Livinghac du Haut today, having walked out of Conques yesterday and (I think) pushing myself too far. I’m emotionally spent, and I find my self wanting to stop and “shake off” certain groups of people. I get sick of seeing the same folks over a 5 day period.

I’m not sure what the antidote is, but I thought I’d post my feelings on this forum to perhaps get some (non-judgemental) feedback.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are struggling and hope the situation has eased for you. I walked from LPV to Cahors in 2019 and felt out of sorts because we had booked accommodation in advance. It was a jolt after the Camino Frances where we never knew where each day would end and trusted 'the camino will give you what you need'. The pre-booked accommodation really tested that old lore, not because of anything material but it removed us from the throng of pilgrims we met.
Like you too, my husband and I only spoke limited French. We were fortunate to befriend a wonderful couple from Switzerland when I decided I had nothing to loose from enthusiastically mentioning to my (assumed French) friend that the top she was wearing was from our home town in New Zealand. They happily responded in English and have since become dear friends. I guess the old-rule of beginning in whatever French you have can still help occasionally.
Challenges aside in hindsight the route revealed so much to me of its history, and of myself and how I did and didn't do so well at accepting the challenges I met. This is not to go on about me, but to let you know that you are not alone in having these experiences. There is absolutely no shame in following Daniel's advice either - he might indeed represent the Camino giving you what you need. Buen Camino! Catherine

Hello, I am sorry to hear you are struggling and hope the situation has eased for you. I walked from LPV to Cahors in 2019 and felt out of sorts because we had booked accommodation in advance. It was a jolt after the Camino Frances where we never knew where each day would end and trusted 'the camino will give you what you need'. The pre-booked accommodation really tested that old lore, not because of anything material but it removed us from the throng of pilgrims we met.
Like you too, my husband and I only spoke limited French. We were fortunate to befriend a wonderful couple from Switzerland when I decided I had nothing to loose from enthusiastically mentioning to my (assumed French) friend that the top she was wearing was from our home town in New Zealand. They happily responded in English and have since become dear friends. I guess the old-rule of beginning in whatever French you have can still help occasionally.
Challenges aside in hindsight the route revealed so much to me of its history, and of myself and how I did and didn't do so well at accepting the challenges I met. This is not to go on about me, but to let you know that you are not alone in having these experiences. There is absolutely no shame in following Daniel's advice either - he might indeed represent the Camino giving you what you need. Buen Camino! Catherine
This post is from September 2019 :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back