• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Struggling to continue

Wanderwoman2

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hello,

I am currently about 12 days into my journey on the Camino Frances. The begining week was amazing, full of adrenaline, adventure, new people, beautiful places and i thought, this is the best thing I've ever done. Week 2 has been a struggle for me to even answer why am I doing this? I don't sleep well in the Albergues, then everyday feels like a push to the next destination only to get there and be bored until bedtime and then a poor night's sleep only to do it all again. Everyone says this is the most amazing experience and I just feel like I'm struggling or missing something. It feels more like work. Has anyone had a similar experience that can offer any guidance, suggestions or insight? Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It sounds as if you may be very tired. Have you considered booking a night in a private room somewhere? A chance to catch up on your sleep. I don't like to take a whole day off walking myself but perhaps a rest day somewhere? By now you should have a clearer idea of the distance you are comfortable walking each day. I do not like stopping at lunchtime which seems to be the norm these days. On average I walk about 30km per day and I prefer to stop walking in late afternoon. If you book a bed for the night the previous day or early in the morning you can reduce the "bored until bedtime" experience by walking for longer without the fear of finding yourself without a bed.

It sounds as if you may be very tired. Have you considered booking a night in a private room somewhere? A chance to catch up on your sleep. I don't like to take a whole day off walking myself but perhaps a rest day somewhere? By now you should have a clearer idea of the distance you are comfortable walking each day. I do not like stopping at lunchtime which seems to be the norm these days. On average I walk about 30km per day and I prefer to stop walking in late afternoon. If you book a bed for the night the previous day or early in the morning you can reduce the "bored until bedtime" experience by walking for longer without the fear of finding yourself without a bed.
Thats a good idea, i do tend to push through to the destination as though i have a dealine to get there. Idk why! I think its pre-programming.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No, it doesn't sound like you're missing anything.
This can hapoen, and it may simply be a matter of walking through the low patch.

And. If you're feeling rushed, and pressured to stop before you feel ready to...that's not the point of wslking a camino.

In order to stay flexible without having empty afternoins, try stopping in pueblos between the ones that are mentioned in guidebooks as stage ending: you can often find restful accommodation just a few kms one side or the other of the bigger towns.

And see how you feel after a night in a single room. Many private albergues have these, a huge blessing.

Hello,

I am currently about 12 days into my journey on the Camino Frances. The begining week was amazing, full of adrenaline, adventure, new people, beautiful places and i thought, this is the best thing I've ever done. Week 2 has been a struggle for me to even answer why am I doing this? I don't sleep well in the Albergues, then everyday feels like a push to the next destination only to get there and be bored until bedtime and then a poor night's sleep only to do it all again. Everyone says this is the most amazing experience and I just feel like I'm struggling or missing something. It feels more like work. Has anyone had a similar experience that can offer any guidance, suggestions or insight? Thank you.
You might even try to ship your backpack a day or two so you have another experience of the Camino.
Or taking 1-2 day break somewhere to sit and read/write could make a difference.
Change something as what you are doing now is not making you happy :)
Lettinggo

In 2016, I hit a point where I just wanted it to be over. Have you made any friends? Stopped to see anything cool? Maybe take a tourist day somewhere? If this streak continues you can catch a train or bus to the coast for some sun.

I know after it was over, I felt left with something unfinished which has propelled me to return as a volunteer year after year. You will know what is right for you. We can only offer some ideas.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Ww2, this can happen. It seems to hit quite often around Logrono.
How much time do you have - is there a flight in 25 days you have to make, or can you kick back a bit?
If you can, take a day or two off - wash everything, have a big meal in the middle of the day, chat with whoever is running the place you are staying at, talk to some folks back home, do some stretching.
And when you get going again, as others above have suggested, you could mix it up a bit: book a couple of nights of private rooms to catch up on sleep. A booking ahead will allow you to start naughtily late, meander around at half pace, taking macro pics of the flowers, arranging heart shapes of pebbles on the path, or whatever takes your fancy, knowing you don't have to hurry on to arrive in time for a bed. Good luck.

Besides the other good suggestions I would just like to say that not everyone has an epiphany or life-changing experience on the Camino. For many of us it's the simplicity of it all, the time of solitude and reflection or even just a nice walk.

Sometimes people start the Camino with a bunch of expectations based on things they have read or heard. I'm not sure if that resonates with you.

Yes, the Camino can be tough. Don't be too hard on yourself. As a hospitalera, I've had this conversation with several pilgrims. My usual advice is give yourself a few more days and see where it leads you. You may decide to stop, but then again you may also find a reason to continue that rings true to you. Give yourself that time. See it as a gift to yourself🙂

Hi @Wanderwoman2 You are not alone with these feelings, for sure. I had plenty of ups and downs on my first camino - solo. And later caminos for that matter. Lot of good suggestions above, but in particular I can relate to this from @VNwalking ...

This can hapoen, and it may simply be a matter of walking through the low patch.

and this from @LTfit 'give yourself a few more days and see where it leads you. You may decide to stop, but then again you may also find a reason to continue that rings true to you. Give yourself that time. See it as a gift to yourself🙂'

Also, in relation to times when you are feeling bored, maybe you are going through a patch where you don't have company and would like some.
only to get there and be bored until bedtime

I'm more an introvert than otherwise, but there were times when I felt a little too 'alone' (this happened sometimes at the end of a day's walking when I saw other small groups of 2 or 3 having an afternoon apero or eating dinner together). After a few occasions feeling like this, I summoned all my courage and approached a group - 'would you mind if I joined you?'. I was never turned down and often enjoyed great company for that evening, and sometimes in the days that followed.

Wishing you bon courage and buen camino. 🙏

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thats a good idea, i do tend to push through to the destination as though i have a dealine to get there. Idk why! I think its pre-programming.
It's not a race. Treating it as some kind of performance challenge is bound to make you miserable.

I hope that things get better for you, and understand the low feeling (I often get that in the afternoon after stopping walking). There's lots of good advice here from other forum members. All I'd add is that Sunday afternoons in small towns in Spain can feel particularly tough for those of us who are used to everything being open 7 days a week. I remember a really low point for me in Najera one Sunday when everything was shut except one bar selling club sandwiches with curled edges...

Hey Ww2, this can happen. It seems to hit quite often around Logrono.
How much time do you have - is there a flight in 25 days you have to make, or can you kick back a bit?
If you can, take a day or two off - wash everything, have a big meal in the middle of the day, chat with whoever is running the place you are staying at, talk to some folks back home, do some stretching.
And when you get going again, as others above have suggested, you could mix it up a bit: book a couple of nights of private rooms to catch up on sleep. A booking ahead will allow you to start naughtily late, meander around at half pace, taking macro pics of the flowers, arranging heart shapes of pebbles on the path, or whatever takes your fancy, knowing you don't have to hurry on to arrive in time for a bed. Good luck.
Ugh, yes! It hit me in Logroño! I have taken 2 days in Burgos to have private rooms and do all that you suggested. It felt really nice to do nothing for a day.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi @Wanderwoman2 You are not alone with these feelings, for sure. I had plenty of ups and downs on my first camino - solo. And later caminos for that matter. Lot of good suggestions above, but in particular I can relate to this from @VNwalking ...

and this from @LTfit 'give yourself a few more days and see where it leads you. You may decide to stop, but then again you may also find a reason to continue that rings true to you. Give yourself that time. See it as a gift to yourself🙂'

Also, in relation to times when you are feeling bored, maybe you are going through a patch where you don't have company and would like some.

I'm more an introvert than otherwise, but there were times when I felt a little too 'alone' (this happened sometimes at the end of a day's walking when I saw other small groups of 2 or 3 having an afternoon apero or eating dinner together). After a few occasions feeling like this, I summoned all my courage and approached a group - 'would you mind if I joined you?'. I was never turned down and often enjoyed great company for that evening, and sometimes in the days that followed.

Wishing you bon courage and buen camino. 🙏
Thanks, I'm an introvert too and have had all this uninterrupted time with myself which isn't always good for me. I will take your suggestion and try to approach others. I did this in the beginning and found it such an important lesson that I need other people and others can ease the burden of hard times by a huge amount! But then when i get back inside my head, it becomes harder again to reach out to new people.

Ugh, yes! It hit me in Logroño! I have taken 2 days in Burgos to have private rooms and do all that you suggested. It felt really nice to do nothing for a day.
So now you are ready to hit the Meseta. Now you will have 10 easy days of walking in peace to Leon, well rested!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
others can ease the burden of hard times by a huge amount! But then when i get back inside my head, it becomes harder again to reach out to new people.
I know exactly what you mean! I loved my solo Caminos. I don’t need or want people around me all of the time, but too much alone time is also not good for me. Deep breaths and bon courage 👍

PS. Often when I approached a ‘group’ I soon discovered that they were just individual pilgrims like me who may only have met days or even a few hours before.

PPS. I didn’t have or want a camino family but i did enjoy some wonderful company from time to time.

Last edited:
The "Camino Family" bit is a little overhyped IMO. I enjoy being alone and my thing is finding great places along the Way with 5 star menu del dia, it is hard to find anyone who shares that passion and is willing to drop their backpack just any ol' where to stay the night in some random village just because they found a fine meal in the middle of the day, but that's me.

The "Camino Family" bit is a little overhyped IMO.
I agree. But the concept seems to have taken on a life of its own. Some years ago I read a post - it might have been on Facebook - from someone who asked if you were allowed to choose your own Camino family or if you were assigned one in SJPDP... 😳

I agree. But the concept seems to have taken on a life of its own. Some years ago I read a post - it might have been on Facebook - from someone who asked if you were allowed to choose your own Camino family or if you were assigned one in SJPDP... 😳
This is like the questions about the "infrastructure" of the Camino and why there are not public toilet facilities and about systems of albergues etc. It is hard when people don't have any experience and when we don't have clear understanding, we all try to fill in the gaps with things that are familiar. It is why we on the forum are here to help clarify as much as possible even when the questions are repetitive. I remember being that newbie and having the same fears and questions...

My first Camino is less than a month away and I am so grateful for this thread. Thanks to the OP for having the courage to post it. I have been finding my self pre-romanticizing my experience and I really appreciate hearing about the difficulties as well (not that I am glad the OP is struggling of course). It reminds me that I need to slow my roll a little bit in this final stretch before I leave and not let what I think it will be take over.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ve been where you are many times. Take a break and sleep somewhere calm and quiet. Give yourself a few days away from the Camino to assess your feelings.

I’m on the Camino near Fromista and would be happy to chat via private message.

Take care

For the newbies on this thread. The Camino can be (and most often is) an experience of a whole range of emotions. It’s awe-inspiring, heart-opening, open-hearted AND includes-crabby moments, unexpected grief and sadness, feeling lost, and being irritated at everyone, including that bird over there.

The Camino can be a wild ride, but I find those emotions come and go. Take a time out, write (or don’t), nap and sleep..and see where things stand after a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I remember feeling *exactly* what you’re feeling, at about the same point. I would WhatsApp chat with my husband each night, and ask “why am I doing this?” It’s a phase of rebellion and questioning why the f* you’re doing what you’re doing. Not all the days are as pretty as the Pyrenees. Not all towns as lovely as SJPP, etc. You could quit, sure. But then…

I stayed in albergues the first week to 10 days and switched to private rooms after that, and found the peace and rest of a private room super helpful. My advice—just keep going. Move through it. You’ll be so glad you did. Buen Camino!

Hi Wanderwomen (wonderwoman yay!)
A big fat hug to start with, it's really no fun to be in a slump.

As truenorthpilgrim said before, the camino brings out all the feels, the good, the bad and the ugly. And for me, the gift of long distance walking, is to move through and with them, to accept and adapt and to trust in the "this too shall pass, it may pass like a kidney stone, but it will pass". Today is rough, tomorrow might be better. I always try to focus on the now, what can I do now to make it better. Eat my happy snack (I always have a few snacks on me for exacltly that moment), a moment of self care and kindness, positive self talk (yep, it aint fun, but I'm doing it, go me!). Sometimes the now really get's reduced to just the next step, and the next and the next. Or maybe I think just about the next stop/village/km. Make it bite size to not get overwhelmed by the whole project. What you feel today, will not be what you feel tomorrow, or next week or next month, and the good times will be back! Breathe, be kind to yourself, adapt (take a day off, private room, nice meal, massage, bottle of wine, etc).

Courage! You've got this, so proud of you!! You're doing it! Bad ass you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Time to do something different! By this I mean keep on walking but mix it up a little. You've already gotten a lot of good tips here; send your bag ahead, take more breaks, take a rest day, walk a couple of shorter stages, stay in a private room, eat a really expensive meal... etc. I'd offer my own tips to keep it fresh, treat yourself to a snack that you don't ordinarily eat at home (like oreos for me), go to church (mass), take a day off and take a taxi to a nearby city (depending on where you are, I did this a couple of times), watch the sunrise/ sunset, buy a pack of Uno cards and strike up a game with someone or a group of someones, stay in a municipal albergue and cook a meal (best when organized with other pilgrims), learn basic spanish phrases like "where are you from" or "have you walked the camino" and strike up a conversation with a local, download a book or podcast and listen to it while you walk, get a massage, foot massage, buy a pack of oranges and hand them out to abuelas, abuelos, journal your thoughts... breathe. Whatever you decide, be kind to yourself. This includes allowing yourself to end this journey if it is truly what you want to do. The Camino is going nowhere; it will be here if you ever decide to return. One last thing, you are about to enter the Maseta which can be grueling for some people. I loved it because I could allow my mind to wander without having to concentrate too much on where I was walking. I did find it difficult at times but now it's the part of my trip that I look back on with fondness. Good luck to you! There is no right or wrong way, there is only your Way. Robin

Good tips HeyRobin! On a particularly slow, sluggish and cold day on the Mozarabe I sang at the top of my lungs to Mumford and Sons (the only album I had on my phone). Now, everytime I hear them it transports me back to then and there and I look back on it with fondness.

This was on a long and empty stretch through endless olive groves, where I didn't see anyone else for hours.

Sometimes the "amazing experience" feeling doesn't show up until after.

Camino can be boring, dull, and uneventful. Hopefully not for long (multi-day) stretches. There were moments when I was very bored, and I love walking. I found cool flowers, too many gross worms and flies on the Meseta, too many neat rocks that if I wasn't already carrying a heavy pack I would have collected, weird trees, random birds to occupy my little monkey brain and keep me walking if I was having a bad day.

I'd recommend staying in private accommodation if you can, sleeping relatively well is incredibly important. I personally found that if I didn't sleep, I couldn't eat and if I couldn't eat or sleep I could not walk. And all the minor annoyances, like pointy rocks on the path, annoyed me more than they should. I don't sleep well at the best of times, so I stayed in private rooms to minimize the stresses of other people.

I'm prepping for my next Camino (where I am sure I will be mostly alone most days) and I am reminding myself daily that sometimes boredom is inevitable. It is work, in that your daily schedule is walk, eat, sleep, day after day until you get to Santiago. Sometimes it's tedious.

I have missed Camino every. single. day. since I finished. I long for it. I need to see a tiny church tower pop up in the distance, far ahead of me, and a town coming into view with the promise of a cold beverage and a chair. The joy of finding out the room I have booked for the evening has a bathtub for me to soak in. The Buen Caminos, nods and smiles from the beautiful people as I walk. I miss it all.

Take a day or two off and reevaluate it all. You've already walked further than many people who walk Camino from Sarria or Tui (I am not denigrating anyone for doing that, we don't all have the luxury of weeks to walk), so you have accomplished something. You wanted to walk Camino and you have walked Camino.

I hope you find peace in whatever you decide. Spain is gorgeous and there are tons of interesting things to see and experience. Buen Camino, Peregrino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A day or two in private accomodations can do a lot for the spirit.
Also, if you can make a friend or two, you often can book a private room for 2 or 3 people for the same price each of you would pay for an albergue. Sleeping with 2-3 people in a room is much more restful. Apartments are another choice if you can make some friends to share with.

I have to say that after last spring, I thought I'd never walk again. It's taken me a full year to even begin to consider going back to Spain and if I do, probably not until NEXT season. So yeah, I understand. When I got to Santiago last trip I was so disheartened, I gave away my ALTUS poncho and a lot of my other gear because I was "done!"

Be gentle with yourself. Go slower. Stop and smell the roses!
Buen Camino!

A day or two in private accomodations can do a lot for the spirit.
Also, if you can make a friend or two, you often can book a private room for 2 or 3 people for the same price each of you would pay for an albergue. Sleeping with 2-3 people in a room is much more restful. Apartments are another choice if you can make some friends to share with.

I have to say that after last spring, I thought I'd never walk again. It's taken me a full year to even begin to consider going back to Spain and if I do, probably not until NEXT season. So yeah, I understand. When I got to Santiago last trip I was so disheartened, I gave away my ALTUS poncho and a lot of my other gear because I was "done!"

Be gentle with yourself. Go slower. Stop and smell the roses!
Buen Camino!
Ok, so, after doing some processing, I've realized that I THOUGHT I liked to stop and smell roses, but it turns out in practice I actually don't, I'm very driven to get to the goal and get that sense of accomplishment, but this journey thwarts me because there really isn't a reward at the end of the day, just an albergue and another day's walk. And being driven day after day just wears you down. I love hiking, but i realized that I usually go hard and fast to the top of the mountain then feel that sense of accomplishment when i get down and I'm worn out. I'm actually finding it hard to...chill? Lol. And stay in the moment. Even when i stop for a break, 5 minutes and I'm up and let's go. So that's one thing this journey is showing me and I'd like to learn to let go of.

I would say, the camino works in mysterious ways,
You will find what you not seek and seek what you not find.

Follow the suggestions above, and I believe you will be one of "once a pelegrino, always a pelegrino" and maybe come back

But is it always a pleasant experience, we all know it is not.
But ask yourself, should it be ?

My 50cents

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Week 2 has been a struggle for me to even answer why am I doing this?

I can speak only for myself, but I believe the purpose for a modern time pilgrimage is to answer the questions a pilgrims soul is seeking for. They may have a matter in past, present or future, being of spiritual or material nature, but important enough to go ahead. I see it as bell shaped curve where the ascending path is filled with struggle and thrill, in descending more joy comes in.
Wanderwoman2, I dare to assume that as soon as you find the answer to above, respectively formulate the questions you are seeking answers to, your Camino perception should change.

Thank you for posting, while I wish you were not struggling, it is a gift to those of us who are preparing to set out on our first Camino which includes me in about 2 weeks. All the advice is so helpful and honest. I hope that a rest day or two, a few good nights of sleep and some of the other tips help you to continue on. Buen Camino!

Sometimes the "amazing experience" feeling doesn't show up until after.

Camino can be boring, dull, and uneventful. Hopefully not for long (multi-day) stretches. There were moments when I was very bored, and I love walking. I found cool flowers, too many gross worms and flies on the Meseta, too many neat rocks that if I wasn't already carrying a heavy pack I would have collected, weird trees, random birds to occupy my little monkey brain and keep me walking if I was having a bad day.

I'd recommend staying in private accommodation if you can, sleeping relatively well is incredibly important. I personally found that if I didn't sleep, I couldn't eat and if I couldn't eat or sleep I could not walk. And all the minor annoyances, like pointy rocks on the path, annoyed me more than they should. I don't sleep well at the best of times, so I stayed in private rooms to minimize the stresses of other people.

I'm prepping for my next Camino (where I am sure I will be mostly alone most days) and I am reminding myself daily that sometimes boredom is inevitable. It is work, in that your daily schedule is walk, eat, sleep, day after day until you get to Santiago. Sometimes it's tedious.

I have missed Camino every. single. day. since I finished. I long for it. I need to see a tiny church tower pop up in the distance, far ahead of me, and a town coming into view with the promise of a cold beverage and a chair. The joy of finding out the room I have booked for the evening has a bathtub for me to soak in. The Buen Caminos, nods and smiles from the beautiful people as I walk. I miss it all.

Take a day or two off and reevaluate it all. You've already walked further than many people who walk Camino from Sarria or Tui (I am not denigrating anyone for doing that, we don't all have the luxury of weeks to walk), soyou have accomplished something. You wanted to walk Camino and you have walked Camino.

I hope you find peace in whatever you decide. Spain is gorgeous and there are tons of interesting things to see and experience. Buen Camino, Peregrino!
Thank you! That is encouraging! I feel like what I've really encountered on the Camino is myself and not the "happy me on vacation" self (which i fully expected), but the real self I live with everyday. I know there will be so much I learn from this experience if I stick with it and make adjustments and find accomodations that suit me. Thanks for the encouragement and understanding.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,

After the high comes the dip eh! Adrenaline highs not good long term anyway, your body is readjusting to these... Remember the excitement at the beginning, remember your goal, stick with it as this low too will pass. If boredom a thing waiting for bedtime, go to bed early to get better sleep, write your memoir, talk with other pilgrims, these strategies, as an elder, worked miracles for me...been Camino

I offer a simple word of encouragement. I see a lot of good advice has already given and I can't improve on it. I experienced similar emotions at times, but they didn't last long. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for your honesty and I look forward to hearing how things are going. There is a lot of great advice and support on this thread! Coulda used some of it myself when I walked -- if only I dared to let anyone know how I was feeling. Oh, and if only I was connected to the internet :D :D :D (I went without a data plan on purpose). One of the most important lessons driven home to me on camino: wherever I go, there I am. But what a gift to (re)discover who that is, something I could only receive, apparently, by going on pilgrimage. Sounds like a lot of us get to experience that one! Buen, buen camino

Hello,

Perfectly normal experience. Some days can seem like a totally unrewarding slog and ‘Remind my why I’m doing this?’ has passed my lips more than once.

Take a day off and remind yourself it’s not compulsory

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok, so, after doing some processing, I've realized that I THOUGHT I liked to stop and smell roses, but it turns out in practice I actually don't, I'm very driven to get to the goal and get that sense of accomplishment, but this journey thwarts me because there really isn't a reward at the end of the day, just an albergue and another day's walk. And being driven day after day just wears you down. I love hiking, but i realized that I usually go hard and fast to the top of the mountain then feel that sense of accomplishment when i get down and I'm worn out. I'm actually finding it hard to...chill? Lol. And stay in the moment. Even when i stop for a break, 5 minutes and I'm up and let's go. So that's one thing this journey is showing me and I'd like to learn to let go of.
In the words of those famous philosophers Wallace and Gromit "It's just a bit of harmless brain alteration, thats all...". The Camino has a way of showing you to yourself, sometimes in a seemingly ruthless way. The medicine doesn't always taste good, but it is definitely good for you.

After the high comes the dip eh! Adrenaline highs not good long term anyway, your body is readjusting to these... Remember the excitement at the beginning, remember your goal, stick with it as this low too will pass.
I'm an observer and a sympathizer but not a walker myself, with an interest in psychology, and a traveller...here's something that came to mind when I read about your reactions to the camino:

I know that walking a camino is quite a short, sharp interval in another culture, compared to moving to one, for studying or working or whatever, but consider what has been found about the cycle of culture shock. The stages one goes through sound quite reminiscent of your feelings..

Stages of culture shock​

The five stages of culture shock are:
  1. The Honeymoon Stage - You are very positive, curious, and anticipate new exciting experiences. You even idealize the host culture.
  2. Irritability and Hostility - You start to feel that what is different is actually inferior. The host culture is confusing or the systems are frustrating. It's a small step from saying that they do things in a different way to saying that they do things in a stupid way. You may blame your frustrations on the new culture (and its shortcomings) rather than on the adaptation process.
  3. Gradual Adjustment - You feel more relaxed and develop a more balanced, objective view of your experience.
  4. Adaptation of Biculturalism - You feel a new sense of belonging and sensitivity to the host culture.
  5. Re-entry Shock - You go home and it isn't what you expected it to be.

I walked my first and (so far :) ) only camino last autumn, so the memories are still quite fresh. I experienced something kind of similar to what you are describing, although there are some differences - I walked a more remote route, so the social aspect of the camino was (I imagine) different than on the Francés. My journey took about four weeks. In hindsight, the first week I was adjusting to the physical side of walking - the sore legs in the morning, the different eating habits, the albergue sleeping and so on. On the second week, it was the mental side. The novelty has worn of a little, I struggled a little with being in an unfamiliar settings for quite some time, and after I parted ways with a very special person I met on the trail after walking together for several days, I felt quite lonely. I remember a moment I was sitting on a bench, having a snack, and seeing an airplane taking off from a very nearby airport, flying right over my head, and thinking to myself "I could be on that plane, flying home". It just all kind of added up, and it was a mentally pretty tough day for me.
But same as the physical part, the few days with sore legs and back, this too, passed. In a few days, my head accepted that this is the way we live now - we don't need to think about work, emails, house work, social obligations, pretty much anything, we are walking now. The whole thing became much easier, peaceful, normal in a sense. I saw beautiful and not so beautiful places, I met very interesting people, I even saw the mentioned special person further down the road, I experienced things I wouldn't have otherwise. I am very glad I had the whole experience, including those difficult times. But that being said, the last two weeks were (despite a minor injury and physical challenges) far easier than the first two.
I really second the suggestions other, more experienced pilgrims, made here - get a night or two of good sleep, treat yourself to some good food, have an easier day, and talk to the other pilgrims - chances are they are going through similar feelings, and hardships are much easier to endure when shared. Don't worry, you are not alone in this. If you manage to push through this, more peaceful and happy days are coming, the almost zen-like existence when you get used to the "new way of life" is something pretty special. And, if you decide that this is not the right thing for you, don't worry, the camino is definitely not for everyone. There are plenty of other things to do, either in Spain, or pretty much anywhere else :)
I wish you the best of luck and Buen Camino,
Michal

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello,

The Camino is fine but you have travelled a long way to be here but there’s a million better things to do in Europe snd 50+ different countries to enjoy. Great food, wine, sport, music. If I was from a other continent I would ask myself why I was confining myself to this activity and not branching out and doing something more interesting!

Thank you! That is encouraging! I feel like what I've really encountered on the Camino is myself and not the "happy me on vacation" self (which i fully expected), but the real self I live with everyday. I know there will be so much I learn from this experience if I stick with it and make adjustments and find accomodations that suit me. Thanks for the encouragement and understanding.
I shall give you a story: I have walked many Caminos and met many struggling firsttimers. I remember one in particular. A mid aged Australian, on his first day out from Burgos (I had walked from Pamplona). He asked a lot of questions about the Camino, and, from what he told me about his background, I told him:

"When you arrive in Santiago you will be crying". He didn't answer, but he sticked to me the whole way into Santiago. Impossible to get rid of him :)

As we entered Santiago we sat down in the plaza in front of the Cathedral, me 2 m. behind him, deliberately, and he was sobbing like a child. Later, over a cold beer, he said to me: "When you told me, way back out of Burgos, that I would be crying here, I thought "What an old fool!" But you were right:

These weeks I have reflected upon my life: I understand I have behaved bad to my ex-wife; no wonder she left me. I have behaved very badly to my younger brother, teasing him over years for no reason, which I most deeply regret right now. I have to return home and try to mend the damage I have inflicted on my nearest".

This is not about you: It is about that the Camino requires time and reflection to find some answers in many people. You have just started your journey: There may be some answers lying in the future for you.

TTT (Things Take Time). Just keep on keeping on.

Buen Camino!

Hello,

I always get a private room every 7to10 days.
Helps alot

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola, or G'Day @Wanderwoman2
Well you certainly have received a significant number of suggestions - mostly good I might add.
First - let me welcome you to the Forum (I don't think I saw this above).
Getting "camino fit" (coming to terms with this tempo lifestyle) - is one of the problems many first timers encounter. The advice I would support include - taking a private room in a Casa Rural/Pvt Hotel or even at one of the Privately operated Alberque. Taking a rest day (extra day in a city or large town is also recommended) - Burgos and Leon are places that come to mind. The invite to stop at Peaceable Kingdom I can thoroughly recommend. Rebekah and Paddy - will make you more than welcome. They will listen to your story, without any judgement. Lastly - I know its a bit trite - (but) this is your Camino. Take your time and experience it how you determine. Buen Camino.

When my son started his first long hike, walking the Appalachian Trail in early April 2014, there were many, many cold rainy days for the better part of his first three weeks.
He called home quite disheartened after having set up his tent in rain every day, and he wanted to quit at that moment. I told him to stick it out a little longer until the weather cleared up; then decide on a nice sunny day if he still wanted to end it. Well, he didn't quit and went on to complete his original goal of 1000 miles, and has since hiked other long distance trails before walking any Caminos.

All this to say...don't give up when at your lowest point cuz things often do get better if you hang on a little longer. You may find yourself in an emotionally better place to make a more rational decision, whatever that may be.

Hello,

Hi Wanderwoman2, I hope you have enjoyed your time in Burgos and that your days there have given you what you need right now. In May '22, I connected a few times with a peregrina who shared she was having a difficult time. She expressed similar sentiments to yours. "This is not what I thought it would be." We sat next to each other one evening at Mass and when Mass was over, she turned to me with tears in her eyes and a huge smile on her face as she joyfully told me "I'm going home!"
I have thought of her so often. I am grateful I was able to get to know her a little and to watch her process of discerning the Camino was not her thing. I wish you well as you journey on!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am so happy I did not know about the Camino family concept when I walked the Francés 🤓

Hello,

Yes, I think you are way over tired. Maybe you need to just have a bit of fun. On my 10th day in 2016 I slept in and just goofed off eating pulpo and having vino blanco which is very mild. BUEN Camino. You got this. ♥️👏

"When you arrive in Santiago you will be crying". He didn't answer, but he sticked to me the whole way into Santiago. Impossible to get rid of him :)

... and then there are those who arrive in Santiago and think: Ok, so that is it. Nice. No overwhelming emotions. Maybe a sense of having completed a longer journey, or a bit of regret that it is already over. Or as the opposite, gladness to rest the body now. But no really strong emotions.

That is us, we exist. 😉 And that does not mean that we do not enjoy the whole experience and think it is great. I did learn not much new on my first Camino, not about myself, not about mankind in general ... but it felt really good doing it.

This is why it is dangerous to expect certain things to happen. People might be disappointed and totally miss the fact that they actually benefit a lot from their walk to Santiago – just because their experience is different from what others told them it would be.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
🤣

Hello,

Sounds like overtraining is causing stress levels to go through the roof. Once your sleep after a long day of hiking does not last even 7 hours, then you know that the issue is getting out of hand.

Slow down, make more stops and take more time to enjoy the nature. Sitting more hours in the albergue is less fun than slowly continuing the road. If you feel a rush for bed spaces then just book a private room somewhere and arrive when you arrive.

To lower stress hormones from overtraining you will need to either walk much shorter distances for a few days in a row or take one or two off days to completely rest. Ideally in a big city where you can go sightseeing instead.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
as Rebekah has said, it's defo not a first timer thing.

Those of us who have walked multiples have seen different days, different people & different problems and done our best to push through. FWIW the people I met on my caminos are the things I remember the most. Not the hard days, not the bad weather , not the sun or the snoring of others...

People I met for a few hours , 5 years ago still come and go in my thoughts.

Create your own memories of how your feeling, what you will do to get through it , ponder the good advice and kick on

you got this

Just one thing I forgot about, might be nothing but when , like me, you not used to do this regularly in real life, your body might run out of magnesium. Kramps will be a symptom as are bad mood and depressions.

It is not a miracle cure, all the other elements will play. Just something to consider

Hope it can help you or others.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This a great insight.

I think for many the Camino is a lesson in finding fulfillment in the task, rather than the achievement, in the moments along the way. Because it is hard to find that sense of accomplishment along the way. Unless you are doing a really short Camino, progress is just so gradual. It's just day after day and you just find yourself in the next village, seemingly not much closer to Santiago. (The sense of this is even greater on the meseta.)

And then one day you wake up and find yourself a day or two out of Santiago. And then you are there. And that is when the real sense of accomplishment may hit. And it can be even stronger because of the long buildup. Or maybe you are walking on to the coast and you don't feel the sense of accomplishment yet until you are looking out over the Atlantic and there is no more west to walk. That was where my son found his accomplishment. I can't count the number of times he asked during the tough journey "Why do people do this? And who would possibly want to do it again?" Yet a few months after we came back he was nostalgic and saying he'd like to do it again.

But you don't get that validation really until the end. Until you get there, you need to find something to sustain yourself. It could be establishing routines. It could be community. It could be in continuing to see the beauty around you. Navarre doesn't have a monopoly on beauty in Spain. It is there throughout the journey if you are ready to appreciate it.

If you persevere, I am confident that you can walk past this, as many other have. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Eventually you will get there. Literally and figuratively.

Last edited:

I can totally relate to this post and judging by many of the replies, it would seem not something everyone gets. Often in my everyday life, I'm jumping from one goal to the next, big goals, small goals, but often forgetting to pause afterwards, to cherish the achievement or accomplishment. Sometimes five steps ahead of myself in my thoughts. I'm sorry I don't have any real answers but to say, getting out there and spending time walking alone with my thoughts or trying to empty them, helps.

Hello,

You'll have your ups and downs. I remember times feeling terrible, trudging through the rain and mud for instance. Then I met some pilgrims who offered me some chocolate- 'manna from heaven'.
Stick with it. Chat to people. Get in touch with your inner self and your reasons for wanting to do it...

€60,-
Lots of great advice listed here, and thanks to the OP for posting this, as clearly it has resonated with lots of people.

My own personal suggestion is to "embrace the suck". I know from many years of travel that the low periods are often the most memorable, and in retrospect you appreciate how that low period was actually necessary in order to reach the high points. Sometimes the contrast is required.

Embrace the good and the bad, because oftentimes the "bad" is just well-disguised good, which becomes clear in hindsight.

End of the walking day buy some chocolate and share it with a fellow pilgrim, the mental stage not far from the end and the spiritual stage is on the horizon.

Give it a week, you'll be surprised.

Would you consider NOT letting go of your driven-ness and instead wondering about how you might harness it? Maybe it's something to hold on to and even augment. Maybe it would help if one day you set a bigger-than-usual goal that you need to strive for...perhaps walk a marathon day or until close to sundown.
Of course, if you do want to let go of being so driven, you'll find lots of ways to experiment with that. Maybe the revelation you don't actually enjoy SLOW can propel you to learn how to. Maybe you're learning about delayed gratification. Maybe you're learning about resilience, which can be a great transferable skill away from the camino. Maybe you will learn more about rewards and what matters to you. Maybe you can look outside of yourself and see if there's someone else you can bless.
Can I encourage you to be curious about what you are experiencing, and don't give up too soon?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lots of great advice listed here, and thanks to the OP for posting this, as clearly it has resonated with lots of people.

My own personal suggestion is to "embrace the suck". I know from many years of travel that the low periods are often the most memorable, and in retrospect you appreciate how that low period was actually necessary in order to reach the high points. Sometimes the contrast is required.

Embrace the good and the bad, because oftentimes the "bad" is just well-disguised good, which becomes clear in hindsight.
This is a good point. I know that after my 2016 Camino with my son, I would like to remind him of the high points but I didn't tall much about the low points, not wanting to bring back painful memories. Quite the opposite, he told me. He liked to remember the low points because he was also remembering how he overcame them.

I had a bit of similar struggles on my first camino, maybe not so strong.
Afterwards, i stumbled across a theory called the "3 stages of the camino". Body phase, mental phase, spiritual phase.
Guess, if you want to follow this theory, you are in the mental phase. You've proven yourself that you are able to do it and now sometimes you doubting the "why". At least that's what it was to me. In the end i walked all the way and to this day i am happy i did it. You may come to a different conclusion, or to the same. I wish you all the best :)

Example explaining the "3 stage theory" (but google will find more): https://medium.com/@gideonnielsen/t...s-of-the-camino-de-santiago-life-e13845a58123

Hello,

It is said that the second week the mind can takeover and makes walking a struggle then the third week you move past that... Possibly a few nights in private accommodation may help. No need to rush for a bed, some good sleep, and time to rest with no-one around you. Buen Camino don't give up, remember why you went. Take your time.

This is like the questions about the "infrastructure" of the Camino and why there are not public toilet facilities and about systems of albergues etc. It is hard when people don't have any experience and when we don't have clear understanding, we all try to fill in the gaps with things that are familiar. It is why we on the forum are here to help clarify as much as possible even when the questions are repetitive. I remember being that newbie and having the same fears and questions...
And the questions back at home: "what size group do you usually go with?" "2"
our friend is boggled at this.

And the questions back at home: "what size group do you usually go with?" "2"
our friend is boggled at this.
I walked my first Camino alone. Over the 800km I probably met no more than 30 other pilgrims. On many days I saw no others and had the refugios to myself. When I got home a friend asked if I was lonely during my walk. At first I could not even understand the question. The idea of being lonely had never once crossed my mind. Some things are hard to explain to others who do not have an experience in common.

This a great insight.

I think for many the Camino is a lesson in finding fulfillment in the task, rather than the achievement, in the moments along the way. Because it is hard to find that sense of accomplishment along the way. Unless you are doing a really short Camino, progress is just so gradual. It's just day after day and you just find yourself in the next village, seemingly not much closer to Santiago. (The sense of this is even greater on the meseta.)

And then one day you wake up and find yourself a day or two out of Santiago. And then you are there. And that is when the real sense of accomplishment may hit. And it can be even stronger because of the long buildup. Or maybe you are walking on to the coast and you don't feel the sense of accomplishment yet until you are looking out over the Atlantic and there is no more west to walk. That was where my son found his accomplishment. I can't count the number of times he asked during the tough journey "Why dio people do this? And who would possibly want to do it again?" Yet a few months after we came back he was nostalgic and saying he'd like to do it again.

But you don't get that validation really until the end. Until you get there, you need to find something to sustain yourself. It could be establishing routines. It could be community. It could be in continuing to see the beauty around you. Navarre doesn't have a monopoly on beauty in Spain. It is there throughout the journey if you are ready to appreciate it.

If you persevere, I am confident that you can walk past this, as many other have. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Eventually you will get there. Literally and figuratively.
I still remember, on our first camino (Frances) when we got to, um that nice vegetarian albergue just before Sarria, and DH looked at the map in the guidebook, and thought for a bit, and said "about a week left." I had adapted to the life of wake, pack the bag and roll out, eat around 9:30 or so, walk walk walk, and then stop for the night. I was in shock when he said we weren't going to keep doing this FOREVER. We kept going, we got to Santiago, we visited Salamanca and then stopped in Madrid waiting for the date on our return ticket...
two weeks after getting home we were, like, "when can we go back?"
Not everyone who goes to the Camino is called to it. Those who are, are. But you might not realize that at first. Also, I have always walked the Camino with my buddy (DH) and it has made a tremendous difference because I had something else to think about. ("Why is he going straight? There's an arrow pointing right, right here!" and the ensuing discussion..."SWEETIE! There's an arrow!")

I had a hard time, the firs time, because it was 2014 in late May when we started, and I got the killer blisters of the world the second day when we walked through so much flooding and so much rain and don't leave out the hailstones. I not only got blisters, big ones, that day, I also got the black toenails into the bargain. I will tell y'all, I was just trudging onward. When he said we were almost done, I was absolutely shocked.

But the Camino wasn't done with us. And it called us back. This year we hope (God willing and the creek don't rise) to go to the Camino again.

I have learned. I have learned that I am not in control, I have to trust. I have learned to keep going but to exercise common sense. (Further learnings probably will cross the line into Religion which this board tries hard not to go deep into, for good reasons.)

Ultreia e suseia

Hello,

Hi I walked the camino in 2016 and will leave in a week to do it again. I feel like I did it like you and it was a chore then I decided to slow down and enjoy instead of rushing to the next stop, it made it more amazing and I really enjoyed it. Can’t wait to start again in a week.

Hi Wanderwoman, How are you holding up? Thinking of you, hope you are well.
Hello! Thanks for checking in. So I've been really practicing mindfulness in my walking, trying to take in the sensory experience and stay in the moment. C Mindfulness is wild! You can completely transcend time and kms for little stretches. I have sent my pack ahead and tried to book more private rooms and remote hostels (like san bol). I like that with the reservation I can tell myself that i have time to rest, detour, slow down to walk with a companion. The first day I had to tell myself that I was stopping for an hour for lunch and couldn't get up until 2! The full rest periods really help. And with a reservation I can walk farther and leave later knowing that I have til 4 or whenever to get there. Previously, i'd be up at 5:30 (couldn't sleep) and on the move before sunrise, if I stopped, I'd see 20 people pass me and jump up to keep booking it to get to the next spot by 1 or 2 to get a spot. It's a real practice to not let myself look at how much farther I have to go and just walk through each moment and landscape, but it's going good and I feel much better! Grateful for all the suggestions and commiseration 💛

I had a bit of similar struggles on my first camino, maybe not so strong.
Afterwards, i stumbled across a theory called the "3 stages of the camino". Body phase, mental phase, spiritual phase.
Guess, if you want to follow this theory, you are in the mental phase. You've proven yourself that you are able to do it and now sometimes you doubting the "why". At least that's what it was to me. In the end i walked all the way and to this day i am happy i did it. You may come to a different conclusion, or to the same. I wish you all the best :)

Example explaining the "3 stage theory" (but google will find more): https://medium.com/@gideonnielsen/t...s-of-the-camino-de-santiago-life-e13845a58123
So its funny, but all the signs have little graffiti tags that seem to have statements for exactly where I'm at when I pass them, from "Walk baby" to "Why?" to "The camino gives you what you need, not what you're looking for" to "Who am I really?" to "Present. Here. Now." I feel like I'm going through phases and stages that have been travelled before!

That article is pretty spot on. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
So march to your own drummer. That would be my advice. I, like you am an introvert. I prefer my own company, but do talk to others when I want to. I walk my own camino, my own way. After all it's your camino. I like you tried to keep up with people on my first time, then I realised that most of those people were carrying a day sack and i was rocking a full pack, plus they were all stick thin and I am well, not. So the second time I walked, I did it my way and ignored what others were doing.

My typical walking day is get up at 6am, start out at 7am, walk until lunchtime at 1pm. Then have an hour or so for lunch, which normally involves me finding a local shop, buying some cheese and green veg, then finding a bench and chilling out. Then I walk until 7-8pm and find somewhere to sleep for the night. Have a couple of beers, catch up on anything internet wise / emails / etc. Go to bed at 10pm and start over 8 hours later. Once I get into my routine, it is pretty much automatic. Half of the camino is finding your own routine and pace. Some days are just not good at all, some days are train wreck level. On those days walk 10km. Noisy albergues are another reason i prefer to camp.

One of my pet peeves was if you had windows open, people would shut them, even if you were on the second storey of an apartment building. So the dorms were always too hot at night (another reason for a tent).

As others have mentioned, getting a single room or similar once in a while should help, or earplugs and a eye mask. if you walk long everyday, you will sleep well, for a good 6-8 hours.

On a side note of sorts, look out for Playa Fluvial signs or on google maps (a beach or swimming pool, somewhere to take a dip). There are a few littered along the path. One I've used can be found at Molinaseca but it can be a bit cold off season. If you have time when you get to Santiago, take a bus down to Ourense for a day or two and hit the hot springs for some R&R before you head home.

Hello! Thanks for checking in. So I've been really practicing mindfulness in my walking, trying to take in the sensory experience and stay in the moment. C Mindfulness is wild! You can completely transcend time and kms for little stretches. I have sent my pack ahead and tried to book more private rooms and remote hostels (like san bol). I like that with the reservation I can tell myself that i have time to rest, detour, slow down to walk with a companion. The first day I had to tell myself that I was stopping for an hour for lunch and couldn't get up until 2! The full rest periods really help. And with a reservation I can walk farther and leave later knowing that I have til 4 or whenever to get there. Previously, i'd be up at 5:30 (couldn't sleep) and on the move before sunrise, if I stopped, I'd see 20 people pass me and jump up to keep booking it to get to the next spot by 1 or 2 to get a spot. It's a real practice to not let myself look at how much farther I have to go and just walk through each moment and landscape, but it's going good and I feel much better! Grateful for all the suggestions and commiseration 💛
Success! Well done. On my first Caminos I found I was rushing to each destination and then being very antsy over the long afternoons. I solved that by booking ahead and taking long lunches. On one afternoon, as I bounced around restlessly, I noticed another pilgrim in the same state. However she sought out the owners and offered to help them clean etc. I soon did the same and got to know the host. I have since returned to the same Albergue and have been welcomed as a live in volunteer. Sometimes boredom leads to good things.

Keep up the posts so we know how you're doing.

Buen Camino

Ahhh so happy you are doing better. Buen camino (for the body and the soul).

No, it doesn't sound like you're missing anything.
This can hapoen, and it may simply be a matter of our own room and bathroom. Very refreshing. walking through the low patch.

And. If you're feeling rushed, and pressured to stop before you feel ready to...that's not the point of wslking a camino.

In order to stay flexible without having empty afternoins, try stopping in pueblos between the ones that are mentioned in guidebooks as stage ending: you can often find restful accommodation just a few kms one side or the other of the bigger towns.

And see how you feel after a night in a single room. Many private albergues have these, a huge blessing.
I spent about every 5th night in a hostale,

So march to your own drummer. That would be my advice. I, like you am an introvert. I prefer my own company, but do talk to others when I want to. I walk my own camino, my own way. After all it's your camino. I like you tried to keep up with people on my first time, then I realised that most of those people were carrying a day sack and i was rocking a full pack, plus they were all stick thin and I am well, not. So the second time I walked, I did it my way and ignored what others were doing.

My typical walking day is get up at 6am, start out at 7am, walk until lunchtime at 1pm. Then have an hour or so for lunch, which normally involves me finding a local shop, buying some cheese and green veg, then finding a bench and chilling out. Then I walk until 7-8pm and find somewhere to sleep for the night. Have a couple of beers, catch up on anything internet wise / emails / etc. Go to bed at 10pm and start over 8 hours later. Once I get into my routine, it is pretty much automatic. Half of the camino is finding your own routine and pace. Some days are just not good at all, some days are train wreck level. On those days walk 10km. Noisy albergues are another reason i prefer to camp.

One of my pet peeves was if you had windows open, people would shut them, even if you were on the second storey of an apartment building. So the dorms were always too hot at night (another reason for a tent).

As others have mentioned, getting a single room or similar once in a while should help, or earplugs and a eye mask. if you walk long everyday, you will sleep well, for a good 6-8 hours.

On a side note of sorts, look out for Playa Fluvial signs or on google maps (a beach or swimming pool, somewhere to take a dip). There are a few littered along the path. One I've used can be found at Molinaseca but it can be a bit cold off season. If you have time when you get to Santiago, take a bus down to Ourense for a day or two and hit the hot springs for some R&R before you head home.
Thanks for the suggestions! Walking later into the day has been a good idea that i've been implementing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I gave in on the whole thing called sleep until I got to Burgos and purchased some silicone ear plugs. I never got bored after arriving in the albergue as I showered, washed some clothing, perhaps took a short nap and then walked around and checked out the town, got a coffee or wine at a bar etc. Also checked out my emails, facebook and planned where I was going to stay the next day.

I recall seeing some pilgrims walking until quite late and wondered why. Did you have problems finding a place to stay if you turned up at 8pm and aren't some places already full and or staff finished for the day?

Hello,

Sometimes it just feels hard. There is some really good advice in the thread above. I’ve benefited from a combination of lots of the things advised- in particular, taking a night in a room by myself to recharge, walking shorter days, and / or seeking out some company when I’ve had too much time alone. I found the camino to be a bit like life at times- sometimes it seems harder than it should, for no apparent reason, and sometimes there are reasons it feels hard. For me it helped to just keep going (albeit whilst taking some extra measures to care for myself a bit more), and then enjoy the sense of the difficulty having passed, when it does (which it always seemed to do).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,

When I walked with my family, one of my sister question the whole journey why she was doing it and sobbed at the end that it was over. If you can afford it get private rooms so that you can rest properly. You can book ahead. That way you don't have to worry about missing out on a bed or hot water or whatever. It will mean though that you miss some of the comradery, so maybe mix it up.

my thing is finding great places along the Way with 5 star menu del dia, it is hard to find anyone who shares that passion and is willing to drop their backpack just any ol' where to stay the night in some random village just because they found a fine meal in the middle of the day, but that's me.
how do you find a 5 star menu del dia? I will drop my pack for one of those. what is the trick to finding them?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Every time we start another Camino my internal voice reminds me that "it's like eating an elephant..... one bite at a time".
Be kind to yourself and relax into C comfortable routine that works for you. Believe me, in the end it will all be worth it. Buen Camino.

Thanks, I'm an introvert too and have had all this uninterrupted time with myself which isn't always good for me. I will take your suggestion and try to approach others. I did this in the beginning and found it such an important lesson that I need other people and others can ease the burden of hard times by a huge amount! But then when i get back inside my head, it becomes harder again to reach out to new people.
Hey - I’m an introverted/extrovert (if that makes any sense?). I’m a bit shy but crave company. I found the experience of opening up to people to be difficult for me on in the beginning of my first Camino because of fear of being rejected and getting out of my comfort zone.

Then I thought “I’m already out of my comfort zone on a hike in the middle of the countryside in a foreign country, nobody knows my friends, family or co-workers, and I’d like people to talk to - what do I really have to lose?”

When I started to engage with others and asked them questions about where they were from and learned about them and they’d reciprocate id find myself 2 hours into the trail, or at a cafe table after albergue check in, having wonderful conversations with folks, individually and in groups

I surprised my shy self how many people I met along the way, formed close, fulfilling bonds with that I kept in touch with and did subsequent Caminos with.

My experience on the Camino of getting through my fear of opening up definitely changed the way I not only approached subsequent caminos, but the way I interacted with others back home in my life.

Spain and the uniqueness of the Camino challenge & experience are what drew me to it initially.
The people - locals and fellow pilgrims - are what keep me going back.

Heading out for my 6th this summer with European folks I’ve met in prior Caminos. The only thing we have to figure out is which route from many good choices.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I rather enjoyed your initial post so honestly describing your stress and boredom. You took the advice of others and found your rhythm and, YOUR camino.

Hello,

I had a couple 20 mile days, but it was actually a 12 mile that had me in doubts. As someone else added, get a private room, and for me, journal. It helped me clear my head and see my thoughts. It is work and I cussed out each rise on the path. I have a reason to be here and that pushes me. Remember, it’s one step at a time, take breaks, and it’s ok to yell. Buen Camino

Hello,

I know what you mean. But on the Via Francigena, I am kinda comparing it with the Camino and thinking I’d rather be on my way to Santiago, not here in Northern France heading to Italy. Here’s the musings from a week ago: https://readingtheroad.com/2023/04/17/on-french-soil-assailed-by-doubts/

Hey - I’m an introverted/extrovert (if that makes any sense?). I’m a bit shy but crave company. I found the experience of opening up to people to be difficult for me on in the beginning of my first Camino
It sounds like you have enjoyed your Caminos in spite of being a shy guy.
By the look of your Avatar picture, you seem very much like an exrovert who is at ease and comfortable speaking in front of people.🙂

Hello,

Everyone has tough days when they question what they’re doing! Mine came in Pamplona when the pain from my blisters became unbearable. I balanced albergue dorm rooms with a private room every 4th day, took “rest days” in the main centres where I spent the day being a tourist. Hang in there..

I think many of us struggle with these feelings at some point. But you also sound exhausted. Get a private room for a night and catch up on some sleep. Even better if you can get a room with a tub where you can soak your aches and pains. I feel like most of us push through and things do get better. A few never get past those feelings. Also - this is something I struggle with - but I get up too early and walk too fast and don't take enough rest breaks. I get to my destination too early - then it is hard to fill those hours. Slow down, stop at the bars, take longer rest breaks, socialize at the bars. Then get into town a little later than you have been, take a shower/do chores/take a nap, then walk around and get dinner in the evening. I am doing the VF this summer and I am going to try very hard not to leave my accommodations until at least 7 or maybe even 8 unless it is going to be very hot.

I recall seeing some pilgrims walking until quite late and wondered why. Did you have problems finding a place to stay if you turned up at 8pm and aren't some places already full and or staff finished for the day?
Nope, but I don't walk in the busy season either. Generally i walk September/October. I have never come to an albergue that was full so far. In fact, probably a good 20% of them were empty, as in I was the only pilgrim there. This was especially so on the second year when I attempted to walk from Ourense. The only albergues that had pilgrims in were the Ourense and Dozon municipals. The night after Dozon, I stayed in Lalin and was the only one there. Then the night after I stayed at Bandeira Municipal and was once again the only one there, except for the lady working the desk that night. I'm sure this wouldn't be the case if you walked in high summer.

As for staff being finished, usually you will find a phone number. Out of season i don't think they are staffed full time in the day anyway. In Lalin i asked a local and he pointed out a takeaway down the road and the owner of it was also the albergue owner. When i visited the Villada albergue (south of Sahagun) on my first years camino, I had to ring a number and a guy came from the town to open it, they had apparently shut it down for winter, but my credencial was enough for me to get a bed for the night.

The simple fact is I enjoy walking and i like to rock 20-25 mile days, back to back if I can. Or in another context walk from dawn to dusk. It's just how I roll when on Camino. :)

listen to what Bradypus says book a room and possibly take a day or two of rest days and after the rest days see ho it goes.

Hello,

Thank you for your honesty - I will embark in SJPDP on 4-26…I’m taking pictures of my US Midwest yard this morning & am filed with wonder and excitement. Your post touched my heart and tells me I need to prepare for this too. Thank you for sharing - i think for me I’ll need to keep in mind why I am doing this Camino, and why now, and refer to my list of gratitude for God bringing me safely to this point. Peace and Buen Camino

€60,-
It sounds like you have enjoyed your Caminos in spite of being a shy guy.
By the look of your Avatar picture, you seem very much like an exrovert who is at ease and comfortable speaking in front of people.🙂
The Camino helped me get to that point. Now I’m taking improv and storytelling classes and performing both. I owe something to the Camino for this!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back