• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Struggling with fitness and mood

Totu

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Norte, Primitivo (2015...2022)
Dear all, I am currently doing my 3rd Camino (actually part of it, for 3 weeks), I planned it for months ahead, and was really looking forward to be on the Camino again. Yet I am struggling sooo much more than other times. After a week of walking I still feel exhausted every day, almost to the point of looking forward to going back home. I am not even sure if it is more mental or physical exhaustion. Everything just feels … off. Maybe pandemic had worse effects on my fitness than I estimated. Maybe I am expecting too much, life has been a bit dark lately (as many of our lives, I suppose) and I was hoping the Camino will help to bring some colors back to it. Has anyone experienced something similar?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, I have. Perhaps under different circumstances but yes. I walked the Norte in 2019, pre-pandemic, and at times, never felt so depleted or alone. I was so mentally and physically exhausted when I got to Santiago that I had to go "off grid" for a few days and just be by myself. I decided to leave Santiago for home early, foregoing Finisterre, a city that I love, because I couldn't imagine putting out any more effort.

That said, along the way I encountered exceedingly lovely pilgrims who lifted me up when I was afraid and lonely and made the pilgrimage exceedingly worthwhile. I still have them, from afar, in my life. That walk was the best and most difficult I have made. I look back on it in wonder and gratitude. And I am planning another. The next one will be my fourth.

I won't offer any advice but to say, day by day, step by step. The decisions you make will be right for you.

Dear all, I am currently doing my 3rd Camino (actually part of it, for 3 weeks), I planned it for months ahead, and was really looking forward to be on the Camino again. Yet I am struggling sooo much more than other times. After a week of walking I still feel exhausted every day, almost to the point of looking forward to going back home. I am not even sure if it is more mental or physical exhaustion. Everything just feels … off. Maybe pandemic had worse effects on my fitness than I estimated. Maybe I am expecting too much, life has been a bit dark lately (as many of our lives, I suppose) and I was hoping the Camino will help to bring some colors back to it. Has anyone experienced something similar?

I am sorry to read this. I hope you find the beauty of the camino again. I always find it in the little things. A flower, a butterfly, a raindrop, a ray of sunlight. If you are too tired, can you walk shorter days?

Hope you find your motivation back.
ULTREA

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for the replies. Indeed, as Suzanne put it, I feel depleted and alone (which is really bizarre since I am walking with my partner who is happy, fit and enjoying it). Walked part of Norte and starting Primitivo now, hopeful but dreading the mountains.

Dear Totu: I can totally relate to the struggle and feelings you expressed in your recent post. I'm a veteran of several caminos over the past decade, but haven't been back to Spain since 2019. I believe the pandemic really threw the world a curve ball; from the health standpoint to just being forced into a more sedentary routine, it's really been hard for me to get going again where trekking is concerned. Regardless, I leave for Pamplona in a week, and come hell or high water, I am going to walk! Do I feel as "ready" (whatever that means) as in the past? Not at all. But sometimes, you just have to take a leap of faith. We've got to do this! Blessings long your Way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have you had Covid in the past? I swear my body and mind have changed since I had it, and I get tired quicker and easier than before having it. Age can also play a factor, even if it's just an additional five years. When I walked Camino Frances to celebrate my 50th birthday in 2015, I was sucking wind big time on the mountains, and I will likely be 58 by the time I walk the Portuguese route, so that be should be fun too. :)

I hope you get your Camino groove back soon....Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I know you are walking with another, but can you take shorter days? Take time forself? Jump ahead to somewhere you want to be? On my first Camino, I was just going through the motions the last days and was almost glad when my husband had to stop due to food poisoning. I felt so happy after we took a bus to Muxia. We stayed at Bela Muxia in the penthouse apartment and Phil recovered physically while I recovered mentally. I still remember the feel of the waves crashing around me out by the Church of the Ships on the point. The crisp white sheets on the bed and the sunrise and sunset views where magical. It made me love the Camino even though I had been hating it a few days before.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @Totu . Sorry to hear you are a bit 'flat' at the moment, but I think many of us have gone through that phase at some stage on the Camino. Things that I have found helped me, were:

1. Not focussing on the destination or remaining distance. At all.
  2. Just walk for the now, this morning, this day, this hour.
  3. Walking shorter days, maybe adding some sightseeing.
  4. Talk to other Pilgrims. Not to burden them with your feelings, but just for a change of mood and conversation. Listen to their stories, let a bit of their energy rub off on you...
  5. Slow down. And focus on all the beauty you see around you. 'Smell the Roses'.
On my first Camino of 40 days........it came to a head

I found at one stage, after 2-3 days of being in a bit of a 'low point' I wanted to go home.
I then sat on the mountain side above El Acebo and reflected for a while....

I questioned why I was walking the Camino.
I pondered what I liked about it, and what I didn't like.
There wasn't much on the 'didn't like' side of the ledger!
It was just tiredness and a degree of pain.

I reflected that in reality, in my case, I was being a total jerk!

So I gave myself a 'virtual' kick up the backside and got back into the game.

That was the last time I felt low walking a Camino. But if it happens again, as I suspect it might, I'll know how to handle it. I'll ride it out for a couple days, and if required, give myself a good 'talking to'.

I hope you'll get through your low point too, very soon :)

A couple of thoughts that apply to much of life--not only the Camino.
1. Focus only on the next step and do not physically look beyond that. When I start looking up the slope and thinking "How am I going to do it?" or, "I can't do it," I yank my eyes and my mind back to only the very next, easy thing I'll be doing. Oddly I learned this from two different French ski instructors when I was freaking out about getting down two different mountains. One was Quebecois (icy trail), and the other was in Haute Savoie (steep with deep powder).
2. Get out of your mind and into your breath. Concentrate completely on your breathing--deep and slow. If your mind wanders off, gently but firmly bring it entirely back to your breathing and nothing else. A favorite saying of a yoga instructor in Mexico; I repeat it frequently to my yoga students when I can sense their anxieties.
3. Spend an afternoon or evening soaking in a hot spring located in the Camino vicinity. Ourense, for instance, has a variety of them, some with no fee.

@Totu, wherever you are, breathe. Of course, I join with the heart responses of others above. It doesn't matter who you walk with, in one way. Except for the main person - you. If I might say something you have probably already experienced: your energy comes from somewhere indefinable, but certainly not from your feet! You could try to dedicate the exertions of one day for someone in your life, or a situation, and in a funny kind of way say - this is for you. And look out for butterflies.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would also advise that you take a couple days off to relax and regroup. Maybe decrease your daily mileage. Also you may have a medical condition that needs to be evaluated. If this is atypical for you and your not taking any meds that could cause lethargy then I STRONGLY advised you have a medical check up with blood/lab panels. There are many things that can contribute to exhaustion hopefully it is something simple to alleviate. Best wishes

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well at the moment. I can somewhat relate.

For me a few rest days, shorter days, good food, some sightseeing, and a trip to the local swimming pool on a hot day did the trick. If you don't like rest days staying in the same town, there's no shame in taking public transport to the next one. That way you arrive early and have all day to explore, or just sit in a bar and watch people walk by. Do something you really like for a few days and maybe don't concentrate too much about the next stages or the destination.

Hope you feel better soon, fellow pilgrim, and that you will enjoy your Camino again.

Yes. This is familiar to me. Just a comment, this is your third Camino and despite absence due to pandemic etc, you are nonetheless aware of the camino routine, even subconsciously. I've never walked the same route twice, but still experience this. Maybe I ask too much of myself or the Camino, expecting something new or engaging. I have given it time, go easy on myself and walk through this. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good morning totu: yes I had a few moments when doing the Norte when the route was really challenging me physically and my feet were hurting. Even though I was walking through spain and I had planned for so long I was suffering. If your like me I enjoy getting advice and suggestions but I usually end up taking my own advice. So for what it's worth. Take a rest day or 2. If your near a city, take in the sites even go to a museum or church, contemplate all those that had come before and even the vast #s who could not finish their camino. Enjoy a few relaxing days and dial back your daily walking mileage. This isn't a race and you should go only so far as feels fun and doable. Then find an albergue and stop for the day. If your not to shy chat with others you meet and see how they are overcoming their challanges. Hopefully you will finish your 3 weeks with a new appreciation of yourself, your journey and just life in general. Send us a daily post of how you are doing. Remember the saying " the camino always provides just what you need when you need it" buen camino

I have no clue at all but will surmise that it is emotional/mental, which will make the physical aspect much worse. If this is the case, what to do? Again, I have no clue because observing from a distance ensures erroneous conclusions. The one thing that comes to mind is to 'accept this darkness.' Fully accept it. It does not happen/surface without a reason and purpose. Fully embrace it, accept it as a gift, and see where it takes you. It might be your subconscious is at work and one's subconscious does not work in a happenstance and silly manner.
Who knows? Perhaps your subconscious wants to take you on a journey and perhaps going on this journey is beneficial rather than harmful. Hiding and pushing into a corner one's darkness, as if trying to say it does not exist, it perhaps not an ideal strategy. Perhaps, explore this darkness. The more one wrestles with challenges in life, the stronger one gets.
This darkness, you said, existed before. Maybe it is calling you; maybe it is inviting you to deal with it and confront it. I do not know for sure but almost every person on earth has darkness, whether they are willing to acknowledge it or not. As such and if this is true, you are going through a normal and even an expected phase in life. Do not run away from it. Get a strong hold on it, directly do battle with it, and get through it so that, afterwards, it is a miniature version of its former self.
Having said all of this, I may be completely off my rocker. In so many instances and situations, people want to 'share their knowledge and wisdom' and often what they share is ignorance, stupidity, and naivete. Life is darn complicated.
Chuck

Hi. I can empathise with you to a certain degree. Just completed the Portuguese in May and the first 5 days were exhausting. I do believe, for myself, that a certain element of this was mental fatigue, with high expectations for the Camino that just weren't being met. Basically I feel I was relying too much on worldly things and people. An expectation that I would have the same experience as on previous Caminos. However I must add that the remaining 8 days were amazing. My attitude changed and the people I needed to meet were suddenly there. Another thing I changed was I began shopping in supermarkets etc and having my lunch on the road. This led to wonderful off Camino experiences that will stay with me. I do hope that your journey changes and becomes a positive one. Please stick with it and maybe just shorten a few days, if needed. From reading your post The Way needs you and their are souls on the same road just waiting to cross paths with you. ♥️ Daniel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I am struggling no matter what is the cause my expectations have often played a part in my feeling « off ». You have one thing that is precious right now…time! Perhaps a few more steps / days on your journey will bring light into your heart and more understanding of the nuances of the moment regarding your feelings. Sending positive energy your way and ❤️.

I feel for the OP and can relate those feelings to my own experience which turned out to have an easily resolved medical explanation.

I had similar loss of energy and low mood a few years back. My Doctor ran a few blood tests in the week we were leaving for our 3rd Camino about which I had started to have serious doubts. He phoned me the day before our departure to announce that I was Vitamin D deficient and prescribed some hefty doses of Vitamin D.

We arrived in Madrid and I recall struggling to walk the 500 yards or so back to the hotel after dinner.
As the Vitamin D kicked in, matters improved.

We started walking from Cirauqui and managed to reach Lorca. It was a mere 6kms but I felt like I had done 30kms as I crested that steep slope to reach the town. As the dosage kicked in over the following weeks I regained strength and stamina and went back to covering our usual distances.

However, although an almighty struggle at the time that first 6kms gives me, in retrospect, more satisfaction than many another day of 20+kms. I guess try and take pride in what you are achieving in adverse circumstances no matter where it lies on the scale of past achievements.

(Our health service recommends Vitamin D supplements for just about everyone in autumn and winter and all year round for some groups. I certainly make sure I top up in the darker months.)

As I have alluded in some of my previous posts I'm on my first Camino, being Camino Frances.
I completely understand your feelings because it became very frustrating for me as well in terms of developing blisters and also dealing with the bed race that truly took a life of its own, probably because of covid-19 as other people mentioned
I am currently in Burgos taking a day off and it was nice and refreshing to get up at 9:30 in the morning in my own room and I definitely feel a little better
so listen to other advices that were given before: take shorter days walking, get couple of rest days and hopefully it will help
Buen Camino Peregrina 👍🚶‍♂️

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes ! I’m actually on my 3rd Camino at the moment too. Nothing is sparking joy, as they say. Nothing. Costs have gone up, accomodation hit and miss - the walking has been ok, just, but I feel as though I could be home reading a book or seeing some Arthouse films and having as much fun. My current room is a casa rural (70 euros - long story). It’s rather simple. Feels like a waste of money 🤦🏻. Anyway, tomorrow is another day. Good luck mate 🙏

Thank you for your honesty, sometimes life is like this. Buen Camino!

This is my experience and I stress that, others will definitely not agree with me.
I felt flat and out of place on the Camino del Norte when I walked in 2019. I wasn’t enjoying it at all. But that all changed when I turned off on the Primitivo. I love those glorious mountains.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I felt a similar thing on my third Camino in 2019, and also met another on their third going through the same thing at the same time.

I made it to Pamplona and then took 2 rest days to decide, I ended up starting again ‘to see’ removing the idea that I would ‘finish’ and just take it day by day. I had cleared out 1kg of stuff from my already well packed pack during that time which physically made it more tolerable. And when I started again, I didn’t set out with a days destination. Even just the next town is moving forward, somedays were 10km, others were 35km. Listening to my body and listening to the Camino helped enormously with the physical exhaustion.

I was also shocked after taking a few days off how everything fell into place, and I found myself surrounded by a completely different type of pilgrim, the type that felt way more like my type of people. I like to think that I started a few days too early and was on the wrong time trajectory for ‘my Camino’ those first few days.

If you are travelling with someone, maybe that’s the problem. Not the person, but the fact that you aren’t walking YOUR Camino. Maybe time to think about continuing separately?

All the best! Either way is your way. There is also no shame in realising this isn’t where you are supposed to be right now.

You need to find a new purpose for walking Camino. Not because everyone is out walking the Camino and you want to go along the flow and hopefully get some of the Camino magic. Ask yourself why are you walking the Camino and why this Camino?

Yes I've been in your shoes. My first Camino in 2018 I struggled with fatigue, beyond that which seemed normal. For that reason, combined with ill-fitting shows, I dropped out.
Six months later, as a result of other symptoms, I was diagnosed with early stage parkinson's. Clearly I had attempted the Camino with a dopamine deficiency. On meds now I was able to finish this past fall.
So- I would encourage you to listen to your body, and followup with medical professionals if you feel it's warranted.
Best wishes and buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have. On the numerous attempts at something resembling a Camino in the two plus years of COVID I have found something blocking the wonder I achieve when I am on the Way. Last time out I didn't, however, so I think perseverance is the key?

Wearing a mask and trying to find a place to stay was so difficult for me, especially so in France as I struggle to make myself understood, in French, at the best of times.

... And I am not as fit as I have been either: I've an issue effecting my left foot... Over strained for so long.

As I have alluded in some of my previous posts I'm on my first Camino, being Camino Frances.
I completely understand your feelings because it became very frustrating for me as well in terms of developing blisters and also dealing with the bed race that truly took a life of its own, probably because of covid-19 as other people mentioned
I am currently in Burgos taking a day off and it was nice and refreshing to get up at 9:30 in the morning in my own room and I definitely feel a little better
so listen to other advices that were given before: take shorter days walking, get couple of rest days and hopefully it will help
Buen Camino Peregrina 👍🚶‍♂️
The bed race... It's awful. It's why I won't ever set foot on the Camino Frances again! I go everywhere, and at any cost, not to be involved in that insane race. Where is the joy in crowds of 'pilgrims' running everywhere just to find somewhere to sleep at the end?

Before COVID I walked the Camino Sureste as far as Ávila and then joined the Teresiano route and got myself to Salamanca for Christmas Eve: that was the first place I'd met more than one pilgrim (about 3) and I hated it! That one night in the Albergue was awful. Give me solace. True I'd had one too many glasses of wine with my tapas (it was Christmas Eve) but the people in the Albergue... They weren't Pilgrims I am sure? They were just using the place for a cheap night...

Perhaps your mind is releasing all of those pandemic toxins that have built up. Give it time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear all, you are amazing group of people, thank you so much for all the responses and encouragement! It really just helps to know that I’m not alone 💛
At least by now I feel better physically, I did couple of shorter days and just gave myself time to rest and be whenever my body needed it. I did a health checkup a few months ago, it shouldn’t be a medical issue or vitamin deficiency (one never fully knows of course), I’ve also been extremely careful with Covid and so far have escaped it (again, to my knowledge at least).
Mentally, I still feel like something is blocking me to fully experience the wonder and joy around this beautiful place. Acceptance helps - maybe now it needs to be like this then, for whatever reason.
Maybe walking with a partner is indeed not “my” Camino, and having walked alone before, I expected “our” Camino to be all that too. We are now walking parts of the days separately, meeting up later.
I will try my best to take one step at a time, one day at a time, and hopefully it will all get lighter soon ☀️

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe walking with a partner is indeed not “my” Camino, and having walked alone before, I expected “our” Camino to be all that too. We are now walking parts of the days separately, meeting up later.
I will try my best to take one step at a time, one day at a time, and hopefully it will all get lighter soon ☀️
You are experiencing what I had feared I would experience. I had booked a flight (it was to be today) but had to cancel due to ongoing challenges... but everything you initially explained was looming in the back of my mind. I'm so sorry that your experiences are not what you want them to be. I understand feeling off right now. You are definitely not alone.
When I've walked previously, I found that I was stressed when trying to meet the needs of others--even those walking partners that I value deeply. I hope you find the changes you are making are just what you need. You are indeed in a place filled with wonder -- breathe deeply and let it fill and heal you. And be open to those around you. And listen to yourself.
Wishing you a very soft landing and a buen camino~!!

Viruses have a way of taking the stuffing from us for much longer than we realize. It was several years before I felt recovered from a Gulluiame-Barr virus infection. Possibly stay at a welcoming auberge or village for a few days, even if it means changing you initial goals. It is perfectly fine to be kind to ourselves in these post-pandemic days!

I just finished the Camino Portuguese Senda. It was not the Camino I had planned. I was to walk with a friend and she broke her ankle just prior to our trip. I had to decide if I was going to walk alone or cancel for the third year in a row. I was reluctant, but I decided to go.

It was my second Camino. I really did not like walking the first few days.... too many people, too much pavement and boardwalk walking, too much heat; I felt like I was in a southern California beach town. It just did not feel like I was on the Camino.

Before I walked, I set an intention for my Camino. When I started to feel a bit off, I reminded myself of my intention. It helped me focus on the beauty around me instead of the stressful aspects of my walk. It also help me have a more enriching experience. I stopped focusing on where I was going each day, and focused on what there was to see and do each day. I also slowed down my Camino and took one day off each week.

I hope as the days pass you will find your Camino more enjoyable. I'll think good thoughts for you...

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was going to give up in Logroño to the point of almost buying a return ticket to home - I felt sore , tired and alone - I then thought about why I was here and spoke to my family - their support got me back on track - I then lapsed again in Granon - it seemed a very lonely Camino (number 4) - while I sat crying alone in the church- watching as people I had helped walk past without seeing to care - I determined I would finish as far as Santiago and then go home - I changed my plans - decided not to care about anything but my Camino and enjoy my own time

Dear all, you are amazing group of people, thank you so much for all the responses and encouragement! It really just helps to know that I’m not alone 💛
At least by now I feel better physically, I did couple of shorter days and just gave myself time to rest and be whenever my body needed it. I did a health checkup a few months ago, it shouldn’t be a medical issue or vitamin deficiency (one never fully knows of course), I’ve also been extremely careful with Covid and so far have escaped it (again, to my knowledge at least).
Mentally, I still feel like something is blocking me to fully experience the wonder and joy around this beautiful place. Acceptance helps - maybe now it needs to be like this then, for whatever reason.

So glad to hear you're going OK.
Having tried both, I find walking with a Partner v walking alone a totally different experience.
If......I walk with a partner again, we'll do like you and walk alone for a large part of the day.

But hey, as you know, we all enjoy our Caminos in different ways.
It's good that you are trying different things.
May your Mojo be back in full very soon :)

Sitting here in my office I know where I'd rather be right now ;)

Dear all, I want to thank you again for all the responses and encouragement! It helped a lot and I was reflecting all the answers and advice which made my Camino so much more enjoyable. I also met some wonderful people and had couple of REALLY nice days towards the end of Camino. It was so hard to leave. I am now back in "real life" and the first few days of being back felt like a mix of worst hangover and jetlag (I took it easy with the wine and did not change time zone, so that couldn't have caused it). It is getting better, little by little, and I am trying to make sense of all of it.
Camino showed me how I really am doing, I guess. All looks good on the outside, but I think that the pandemic had a lot more impact on me that I thought. I realized that I have been pretty much "standing still" with my life for the past 3 years, afraid to make any decisions or changes. And I definitely need to make some changes to become healthier and happier. I am thankful that Camino showed me that, and hopeful that I will be in the state by the next Camino to fully enjoy it again :)

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.