• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stu and Joan Mozarabe May 2012

• Thread starter Deleted member 19171
  • Start date
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Stu & Joan

I have enjoyed perusing your blog and photos. I noticed you had an Aarn pack Stu. I've just bought one to take next year & was wondering how you enjoyed using yours -? A magic mountain or one of the smaller ones. Comfort? Convenience? Durability?

Best wishes
Vjr

We just purchased two new AARN back packs, Natural Exhilaration (30-33L). we originally purchased the magic mountains. Their waste straps were very thin without padding so we had to have our jackets tied around our wastes to prevent discomfort. The new ones have padding that we enhanced by taking the gray pad used for sitting on and folded it in two and sliding it back to the bottom of the netting. This also improved the waste measurement so we didn't run out of adjustment. What we liked the most are the front pockets. You can live out of them. We carry our foods, liquids, gloves, tubes of cookies and chocolate bars,etc. Don't fill them until you have your pack on! YOu can get so much in them, they can get bulky.
What camino do you plan to walk? Buen camino stuwmson@icloud.com

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Via de la Plata, starting in April '13. Very pleased to hear your comments on the front mini 'packs', particularly after seeing photos of you wearing them as your pockets were noticeably empty ish. Great idea for weight distribution but i had wondered if perhaps they were not so useful. I expect I'll need to remove them when flying as i always travel cabin-baggage- only. Well, except for taking heavy winter gear.

Have certainly found the Aarn harness very comfortable & easy to use.

We really enjoyed the Plata. The best part of it is turning left and going to Saniago and not ending in Astorga. Mid April is a perfect time to leave just after Easter. You will find that others have the same idea; so, the challenge will be getting to the smaller alberques before the major part of the group arrives. We always started by 6am to arrive before 12 noon. Bring a light if you plan to leave before sunrise. If you are going to write a blog, please send address. I would enjoy reading your thoughts. Wishing you a very pleasant personal journey. Buen camino. Stuwmson@icloud.com

Hi Stuart and Joan, thanks for your informative blog! I am very much looking forward to my 500k walk on the Via the la Plata starting the end of April. You mentioned you always left very early to be sure to find a bed in the next albergue. Did you ever hear from pilgrims who couldn't find a place to rest? Was it that crowded because many people started just after Easter? Or do you think it will be that busy all of April and May?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We just purchased two new AARN back packs, Natural Exhilaration (30-33L). we originally purchased the magic mountains. Their waste straps were very thin without padding so we had to have our jackets tied around our wastes to prevent discomfort. The new ones have padding that we enhanced by taking the gray pad used for sitting on and folded it in two and sliding it back to the bottom of the netting. This also improved the waste measurement so we didn't run out of adjustment. What we liked the most are the front pockets. You can live out of them. We carry our foods, liquids, gloves, tubes of cookies and chocolate bars,etc. Don't fill them until you have your pack on! YOu can get so much in them, they can get bulky.
What camino do you plan to walk? Buen camino stuwmson@icloud.com
Hi Stuart & Joan
Glad to find another Aarn convert. Only one question - did the waterproof liner stand up to the conditions or did you need a pack cover as well (pack AND pockets)? I own and have extensively used other Aarn packs on various long treks in all weathers both in Australia and overseas but this will be my first trip with the Exhilaration and Compact Pockets.

Hi Stuart & Joan
Glad to find another Aarn convert. Only one question - did the waterproof liner stand up to the conditions or did you need a pack cover as well (pack AND pockets)? I own and have extensively used other Aarn packs on various long treks in all weathers both in Australia and overseas but this will be my first trip with the Exhilaration and Compact Pockets.

We used a poncho that covered our pack. We found if we didn't the water proof inside worked; however it took days for the pack to dry out. We have changed packs to the pack listed in this web page. it is much lighter, easier to put on and has fewer waste straps to adjust. Buen Caminos, stu
http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-things-we-wore-and-carried.html

And it only takes half an hour and an assistant
to put on!! (Only joking)
Best wishes for the new year Joan and Stu,
Your Camino amigo.
George

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Stu & Joan

I have enjoyed perusing your blog and photos. I noticed you had an Aarn pack Stu. I've just bought one to take next year & was wondering how you enjoyed using yours -? A magic mountain or one of the smaller ones. Comfort? Convenience? Durability?

Best wishes
Vjr

We have recently purchased zpacks at http://www.zpacks.com. We have found the AARN packs have too many adjusting straps that get in the way when you put on the pack. The front packs are great. When filled they make getting the pack on even more difficult. The zpacks are pounds lighter. 33-37L is just right for the camino. Keep weight to a minimum. have a grand walk. stu

And it only takes half an hour and an assistant
to put on!! (Only joking)
Best wishes for the new year Joan and Stu,
Your Camino amigo.
George

Hey George, We have purchased simpler lighter Zpacks hoping we won't need help getting them on.
Look them over. zpacks.com Give Sue a New Year Hug from both of us. Stu

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Joan and Stu,
Z packs seem look OK, but sometimes ultra light gear sacrifices durability in the pursuit of lightness, but only time will tell I guess, in the meantime I'll stick with the Osprey Exos 48 there's a few Camino's left in it yet!
Still a little undecided where to start this year but Malaga still the first choice.
Best wishes
George

We used a poncho that covered our pack. We found if we didn't the water proof inside worked; however it took days for the pack to dry out. We have changed packs to the pack listed in this web page. it is much lighter, easier to put on and has fewer waste straps to adjust. Buen Caminos, stu
http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-things-we-wore-and-carried.html
Thanks for the update. used to the fiddlyness of the Aarns, so not an issue as they are really comfortable for me, but appreciated the reference to the website. After all, trekking IS an accessory sport and have found some useful items.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back