• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stuck in Pamplona

camilla_petzet

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello all,
I came to Pamplona in a kind of rush, hard to explain but the bottom line is that right now I’m stuck trying to find a way to SJPDP. It’s Xmas day and now I know there’s nothing I can do. I’d be willing to walk to SJPDP, but I was wondering if there’s a way for me to go there from Pamplona. I’ve been to the bus station but they’d give me no information saying “it’s Xmas, nothing to do”. ALSA and Conda websites come up with no answers..
I know it looks silly to be stuck like this, but walking to Santiago is probably the most important thing I should accomplish in this time of my life. Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Taxi..if you can find one that will drive you there on Christmas. But expect to pay 150-200 or more euros because it is a holiday!

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong about starting your camino from Pamplona.

If you feel you must get to SJPDP, an expensive taxi or walk there. You could walk there and bus from Roncesvalles back to Pamplona.
Thanks! I’ll start from SJPDP and consider your advice from Roncesvalles:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Taxi..if you can find ne that will drive you there on Christmas. But expect to pay 150-200 or more euros because it is a holiday!
Not willing to pay that much for a ride, so I’ll walk. There would be no other chance for me to come if it wasn’t now, so I’m lucky to be here. Walking some more will be okay:)
Thanks anyway!

Given that it’s already 1:30 pm there, is there a bus to Roncesvalles tomorrow?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all,
I came to Pamplona in a kind of rush, hard to explain but the bottom line is that right now I’m stuck trying to find a way to SJPDP. It’s Xmas day and now I know there’s nothing I can do. I’d be willing to walk to SJPDP, but I was wondering if there’s a way for me to go there from Pamplona. I’ve been to the bus station but they’d give me no information saying “it’s Xmas, nothing to do”. ALSA and Conda websites come up with no answers..
I know it looks silly to be stuck like this, but walking to Santiago is probably the most important thing I should accomplish in this time of my life. Thanks!

Last August my wife and I caught a bus from Pamplona to Roncevalles where we stayed overnight. We then walked the Val Carlos route to SJPDP, stayed the night in SJPDP, before walking back over the Napoleon route in glorious sunshine to Roncevalles. Highly recommended.

It’s the off season, the buses between Pamplona and St Jean stopped in mid October.
Sounds like the Camino is trying to teach you the lesson of flexibility, I guess the question to ask yourself is why are you so intent on starting from SJPDP?
Having started from Pamplona on my 2nd of 3 caminos I can honestly say that I have not once regretted it and in a week or two you won’t even be thinking about the fact you didn’t start in St Jean, it’s still a long way to Santiago from Pamplona!

It’s the off season, the buses between Pamplona and St Jean stopped in mid October.
Sounds like the Camino is trying to teach you the lesson of flexibility, I guess the question to ask yourself is why are you so intent on starting from SJPDP?
Having started from Pamplona on my 2nd of 3 caminos I can honestly say that I have not once regretted it and in a week or two you won’t even be thinking about the fact you didn’t start in St Jean, it’s still a long way to Santiago from Pamplona!
I was thinking about exactly that. The circumstances led me to this situation, which doesn’t seem bad, it’s just a matter of considering the options. It would be nice to start from the “start”, as I chose the Camino to reset... flexibility might be one aspect I need to revise;)
Thanks for the tip!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last August my wife and I caught a bus from Pamplona to Roncevalles where we stayed overnight. We then walked the Val Carlos route to SJPDP, stayed the night in SJPDP, before walking back over the Napoleon route in glorious sunshine to Roncevalles. Highly recommended.
Thanks for sharing!

As the top route is closed for the winter, you might want to come back to SJPdP another time round, right!?
Count this as a teaser that m,akes you return on a bright summer´s day.
So are you on the off from Pamplona t´morrow ??

The best place to enquire about buses from Pamplona is no doubt the Estacion de Autobuses in Pamplona where you've already been, @camilla_petzet. A timetable for buses to Roncesvalles is here: http://www.autocaresartieda.com/Pamplona_Roncesvalles_Pamplona.pdf . One bus per day Monday-Saturday, no buses on Sundays and no buses on public holidays. As far as I can tell, the 26th of December is not a public holiday in Navarra where you are now.

Considering all options and the apparent lack of any blablacar offers, the cheapest way to get from Pamplona to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port is a bus to Roncesvalles, followed by a walk or taxi to SJPP, then walking the same way back again (as others have pointed out, you cannot walk the high route from SJPP as it is prohibited for pilgrims during the winter months November to March (included)). I personally wouldn't bother with such an arrangement, this wouldn't even feel like a "start" to me. I'd start walking from Pamplona. Buen camino!

When I walk the Camino again, for the forth time, I plan to start in Pamplona. As someone told me on my second trek, “not a day goes by when I don’t think of the Camino”. Twice I started in Roncesvalles, once in SJPP. Both were great.

The start from SJPP is a long slog, even in good weather. I can’t imagine how miserable it would be this time of year. If you start from Pamplona, you may have time to finish your walk in Muxia.

Either way, it’s the journey not the destination.

As the top route is closed for the winter, you might want to come back to SJPdP another time round, right!?
Count this as a teaser that m,akes you return on a bright summer´s day.
So are you on the off from Pamplona t´morrow ??
I don’t know yet, walking to SJPDP doesn’t seem so bad

It will take you three days to walk to SJPdP. If you feel that you must start there, then wait in Pamplona to take the bus. But as others have said, there's really no need to to start in St Jean. It's really not "the start".

Last edited:
When I walk the Camino again, for the forth time, I plan to start in Pamplona. As someone told me on my second trek, “not a day goes by when I don’t think of the Camino”. Twice I started in Roncesvalles, once in SJPP. Both were great.

The start from SJPP is a long slog, even in good weather. I can’t imagine how miserable it would be this time of year. If you start from Pamplona, you may have time to finish your walk in Muxia.

Either way, it’s the journey not the destination.
Thank you so much for the tip about Muxía! I searched about it and I’m glad you mentioned it. I may not start from SJPP but I may walk to the “end of the world”!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It will take you three days to walk to SJPdP. If you feel that you must start there, then wait in Pamplona to take the bus. But as others have said, there's really no need to to start in St Jean. It's really not "the start".
Thank you for the advice!

Thanks everyone for the messages. It is really amazing to have come here at all, and now I can choose from so many alternatives. My flight back home is on February 5 from Pamplona, which gives me lots of extra days (I considered 34 days from SJPP to Santiago). I was, and perhaps still am, afraid of not being able to “survive”, after all, I’m on my own, kind of on a budget, no planning and a first timer.. all I got is a strong will to overcome a horrible year fighting depression and a disturbed and erratic judgement of my self.
I can’t thank you all experienced pilgrims enough!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My vote is to walk out of Pamplona. While I found the stretch from SJPP wonderful, it is no more the start of the Camino than anywhere else. I often recommend Pamplona as a start point to prospective pilgrims when getting to SJPP is too much of a hassle. I see it's night-time there right now, so your decision is likely already made for you. Buen Camino!

It would be nice to start from the “start”,
You are at the start now, so start walking! Don't complicate your experience by fussing with a pre-conceived starting point and precise route.

You said that you hadn't done much preparation. If you had read more on this forum, for example, you would realize that SJPP is NOT an official anything. It is a popular starting point and well-publicized, but that is all. Roncesvalles and Pamplona are also popular places to start. Other people start closer to or farther from Santiago.
I don’t know yet, walking to SJPDP doesn’t seem so bad
I hope you now realize that it would take 3 days to get there (and it would be difficult to follow arrows in the wrong direction) and then 3 days to return to Pamplona. You wouldn't be able to walk the higher Napoleon route, which is closed for winter. You don't have so many extra days to complete this. Not everyone finds it easy or even possible to walk 800 km in 34 days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Same as always happens with people who only come here for advice when they have a problem, not having done any thinking before they leave home. The OP finally came to a decision and is now not concerned about anything other than doing it the way they were going to do it in the first place. You know how they say advice is only worth what you pay for it? Here is a good example. There are others. Take a look on the Norte Forum. Stuck in the snow in Grandas could still be there, for all the communication we have had. We could write a list.

Same as always happens with people who only come here for advice when they have a problem, not having done any thinking before they leave home. The OP finally came to a decision and is now not concerned about anything other than doing it the way they were going to do it in the first place. You know how they say advice is only worth what you pay for it? Here is a good example. There are others. Take a look on the Norte Forum. Stuck in the snow in Grandas could still be there, for all the communication we have had. We could write a list.

‘Tis better to give than receive. Happy Christmas.

That is hardly fair , there are numerous reasons why , the poster may be on a bus without WiFi , the phone battery dead or like thousands of pilgrims maybe they do not acess their phones till finishing in the day and settled in an Albergue .
Do not write off a reply yet . 😊

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, good point about maybe unable to reply. For this OP, anyway.
Happy New Year!

Gee.....
It's hardly been 24 hours yet
Give them a chance
However after a reply like this which they will no doubt see....might be too terrified to reply!!
Also they may need advice again so should be encouraged to ask us ...that's what we are here for after all ...we've all needed help at some point or other

As for leaving home without any preparation....that's what we did on our first Camino....didn't have a clue ...just took off but at least we had each other...

....this person is on their own and in the middle of winter too and from one of their posts it seems like they've had a pretty hard year psychologically.
Best wishes Barbara
Annette

There is a bus on Friday.

Almost. It goes to Pekotxeta, a village on the border with France at Arneguy. They are almost the same town. The camino passes through Arneguy. You can walk the camino in reverse for 8.4 km (two or three hours) to SJPdP or start from there and walk 3.3 km to Valcarlos. At this time of year I don't think you really don't have time to safely walk the additional 12 km from Valcarlos to Roncevalles.

The PLM Autocares bus line leaves from the Pamplona bus station twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays, leaving at 11:00 AM and scheduled to stop at Valcarlos at 12:30 and Pekotxeta at 12:45. See the schedule at
https://www.plmautocares.com/horarios/

Last edited:
Fair point Annette. I wouldn't want to scare anyone off. Just saying that this is usually what happens. So maybe Camilla will prove me wrong and let us know what is happening. That would be a pleasure. Now what did we do before this forum existed? Oh yes, I bought a map, some bags for my bike, and a guide book. Then I set off from home, which luckily for me is in France. That's really about as prepared as you need to be.. Mobile phone? No. Forum? No. Internet? Remember dial up modems? Yes, I know it's winter. We have winter here, too. Anyway, Camilla, if you are here say hi! Enjoy the walk wherever you started.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Fair point Annette. I wouldn't want to scare anyone off. Just saying that this is usually what happens. So maybe Camilla will prove me wrong and let us know what is happening. That would be a pleasure. Now what did we do before this forum existed? Oh yes, I bought a map, some bags for my bike, and a guide book. Then I set off from home, which luckily for me is in France. That's really about as prepared as you need to be.. Mobile phone? No. Forum? No. Internet? Remember dial up modems? Yes, I know it's winter. We have winter here, too. Anyway, Camilla, if you are here say hi! Enjoy the walk wherever you started.

Wow,

What year and what Camino was this, if I may ask? :Oo Must have been a more peaceful and less crowded camino, right?

/BP

2000, in October. I joined the Tours route at Melle, then Camino Frances. There weren't many places to stay in France other than hotels and the odd gite d'étape. I remember pilgrim accommodation at Saintes (in the youth hostel), St Jean d'Angely, Dax, and one other a couple of days before SJPP. I slept in a couple of places provided for homeless people, too. I actually got my credential at SJPP then they insisted on giving me another at Roncesvalles, before that I was just collecting stamps on a piece of A4 paper. It was actually fairly busy once I got to Spain (for a given value of busy, about as many people as we now using the Norte I suppose). I arrived on the 4th or 5th of November. At that time pilgrims could get a half price flight home on the national airline, who took my bike for free. That got me to where I could get a train.

Thanks everyone for the messages. It is really amazing to have come here at all, and now I can choose from so many alternatives. My flight back home is on February 5 from Pamplona, which gives me lots of extra days (I considered 34 days from SJPP to Santiago). I was, and perhaps still am, afraid of not being able to “survive”, after all, I’m on my own, kind of on a budget, no planning and a first timer.. all I got is a strong will to overcome a horrible year fighting depression and a disturbed and erratic judgement of my self.
I can’t thank you all experienced pilgrims enough!
We are all here to support you as best we can! Winter albergues open are limited.
Use this list as a guide
It will tell you which albergues indicated they are open.
However, pilgrims are scarce at this time of year..so call ahead to make sure the
Albergue will be open lestyou arrive and find no one there...especially in poor walking conditions!

Good Luck and Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Except that the Napoleonic Route is closed until April 2020 and given the way the forecast weather can and does change in less than two or three hours I suggest that our OP give St Jean a miss, yes it might be one of the starting points for the Frances, but imho it really does not have lot to recommended it. So I suggest that he start from Roncesvalles.

Autobus Arteida goes from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. That might be a good place to start.

If you are intent on starting SJPdP the next bus from Pamplona will depart in April.

Go from Pamplona to San Sebastian via ALSA bus, San Sebastian to Irun via Renfe Cercanias train. Irun to Hendaye via Metro Donostealdea, Hendaye to Bayonne via SNCF train and Bayonne to SJPdP via SNCF train.

Go from Pamplona to San Sebastian via ALSA bus, San Sebastian to Irun via Renfe Cercanias train. Irun to Hendaye via Metro Donostealdea, Hendaye to Bayonne via SNCF train and Bayonne to SJPdP via SNCF train.
And don't forget that there is a train strike going on in France that affects both the connection Hendaye-Bayonne and Bayonne-SJPdP. This trip may take a couple of days ... :rolleyes:.
Autobus Arteida goes from Pamplona to Roncesvalles.
It's Friday evening in Pamplona right now. The next Arteida bus to Roncesvalles will arrive in Roncesvalles tomorrow Saturday at 17:10. It will be night time by then, too late to start walking. No bus on Sunday, btw.

Let's hope that @camilla_petzet is no longer 'stuck in Pamplona' and on the way to Santiago by now. 😇

Last edited:
The ONLY way I can think of that may work is a bag transfer company. Beyond that, a taxi will do it but it will be at least 100 Euro.
Not sure that I understand this suggestion. A bag transfer company that will transport a passenger from Pamplona to SJPP for the price of a bag transfer? I think that may fail for a number of reasons, one of them is the fact that it's December and there are no bag transfer companies operating right now between SJPP and Pamplona, let alone vice versa. Express Bourricot will start again in mid-March and Correos on the 1st of April 2020.

Ah, the suspense! Where did @camilla_petzet start her winter walk to Santiago and how did she get to the start?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not sure that I understand this suggestion. A bag transfer company that will transport a passenger from Pamplona to SJPP for the price of a bag transfer? I think that may fail for a number of reasons, one of them is the fact that it's December and there are no bag transfer companies operating right now between SJPP and Pamplona, let alone vice versa.

Ah, the suspense! Where did @camilla_petzet start her winter walk to Santiago and how did she get to the start?
No, that is not what I said. but a bag transfer company will take a person from one place to the next charging what they will, definitely more than the price of a bag. Whether they operate through the Holidays, I do not know, but, no one else will be, outside of taxis.

No, that is not what I said. but a bag transfer company will take a person from one place to the next charging what they will, definitely more than the price of a bag. Whether they operate through the Holidays, I do not know, but, no one else will be, outside of taxis.

Not in my experience. MOST bag transport companies are not licensed to carry passengers and will decline. Some will, but rarely in my experience.

Well, as all this started on the 25th December, aka Christmas Day, I expect Camille is some place else by now. If not, it's getting to be a long holiday In Pamplona. Maybe we will hear about it later on, but I'm not holding my breath.

Express Bourricot who are located in SJPP in France does a combination of bag transport and passenger transport in the direction SJPP to Roncesvalles during the pilgrim season from March to October. Being a French company, it is highly likely that they are barred from picking up passengers in Spain, such as in Pamplona. Cabotage, cross-border transport and all that ...

Hello all,

I’m sorry but I can’t help to just smile, what a beautiful place to be “stuck” I could be “stuck” in Pamplona for months, Merry Christmas and Happy New year :)

€83,-
I was “stuck in Pamplona” for 3 1/2 weeks due to 2 eye surgeries in August of 2014. What a wonderful place to be stuck in!!! Check out the old city and the museums - there’s so much history to learn. Visit the Cathedral! And enjoy the rich espressos! What luck to be stuck! ;)

Well done you that's what I would have done I regretted not taking the time on my first camino and realised just how much I missed when I went back the second time.
God Bless Happy and prosperous new year

I was “stuck in Pamplona” for 3 1/2 weeks due to 2 eye surgeries in August of 2014. What a wonderful place to be stuck in!!! Check out the old city and the museums - there’s so much history to learn. Visit the Cathedral! And enjoy the rich espressos! What luck to be stuck! ;)
Agreed! I loved my few days there in August. Husband and I were just talking this morning about how we miss the wonderful sandwich shop there, Saint Wich.

Well, as all this started on the 25th December, aka Christmas Day, I expect Camille is some place else by now. If not, it's getting to be a long holiday In Pamplona. Maybe we will hear about it later on, but I'm not holding my breath.
Hi
Just to let you know that Camilla is safe and happy in Los Arcos today
All the best
Annette

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.