• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stuck in Spain

isawtman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2022
Ice Age Trail, 2014, 2019
I originally was going to do two caminos but after I got done with the Frances a few days ago I really don’t feel like hiking another Camino. My flight back is Nov 4 and I tried to change it but the cost is too much. They said over $1000. So I may be stuck in Spain until Nov 4. I am in Barcelona now doing some sightseeing but I still need to kill a few weeks. Anybody have any suggestions

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My flight back is Nov 4 and I tried to change it but the cost is too much. They said over $1000. So I may be stuck in Spain until Nov 4.
Where are you flying back to? It might be cheaper to write off your existing booking and find another one-way flight home. And have you added up the additional costs of staying in Spain until Nov 4? Is that actually going to be significantly cheaper than changing your flight?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You may want to contact Pueblo Engles. You could volunteer to be an English speaker at a resort for 8 days if they need help. They give you room and board and will transport you back and forth from Madrid. My husband did it last fall when he kind of got tired of walking and had a great time. Link to their volunteer site is below. PM @Phil W if you want details of the experience.

If you can have fun in Spain on $35 a day for a month (easy for some, unthinkable for others) stay. Have fun. Otherwise swallow the flight change.
Me, I’d head for Jerez and pick a few grapes. The accommodation is no more stark than a Galician municipal Albergue and the food is good. The ability to swear fluently in Spanish or Arabic is useful but not essential

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are worse places to be stuck then Barcelona and we have spent a lot of time widening our exploration of the city, the metro is cheap and you can get out and about and see a lot. Or take the train down to Taragona, it's smaller, cheaper and easy to walk around and settle into plus plenty of Roman ruins to explore or just settle into one of the parks or squares to do a spot of people watching.

I originally was going to do two caminos but after I got done with the Frances a few days ago I really don’t feel like hiking another Camino. My flight back is Nov 4 and I tried to change it but the cost is too much. They said over $1000. So I may be stuck in Spain until Nov 4. I am in Barcelona now doing some sightseeing but I still need to kill a few weeks. Anybody have any suggestions
Maybe you can visit Andorra, too.
Bus is cheap, the ride is 3,5hrs., Hotels from 50€ up.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After my last two camino's I just got on skyscanner.com and travelled thru Europe. Went to Croatia, Ireland, Bosnia, etc. Obviously you can book all of this from you cell phone.

For example, here is a list of flights departing Barcelona this Sunday:

Good luck.

Mark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You say stuck; I say opportunity! Honestly, there are a gazzilion ways I could entertain myself very happily for a month in Spain, not to mention heading to neighboring Portugal, Morocco, France or further. Look at that glass as half full and go have a good time.

ETA: Please post your departure city, date, and some idea of your interests and I will be happy to give more specific and constructive advice.

Last edited:
After my last two camino's I just got on skyscanner.com and travelled thru Europe. Went to Croatia, Ireland, Bosnia, etc. Obviously you can book all of this from you cell phone.

For example, here is a list of flights departing Barcelona this Sunday:

Good luck.

Mark

We've done that before 'post camino'. Internal flights in Europe can be so cheap.....

You could catch a trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise out of Barcelona to New York. There are some deals available. Celebrity Cruises has a ship departing Oct 12, stopping in a few places in Spain and Portugal and ending in New York 12 days later.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
While in Catalunia, I would explore Barcelona, Girona (where they filmed Game of thrones), Montserrat, Valencia, probably Andorra as well. Then take a cheap flight anywhere else, as Barcelona is the headquarters of budget airline Vueling, and explore other parts of Spain.

If you can have fun in Spain on $35 a day for a month (easy for some, unthinkable for others) stay. Have fun. Otherwise swallow the flight change.
Me, I’d head for Jerez and pick a few grapes. The accommodation is no more stark than a Galician municipal Albergue and the food is good. The ability to swear fluently in Spanish or Arabic is useful but not essential
Have you ever been to Jerez for the vendimia? It would be an experience and good for language practice.

Get to a small coastal town south of Barcelona and lean Spanish!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well , there are some interesting sites in your area that can be visited. The monestary of Monserrat is about an hour west. Another closer to Santander called , Route de Care that is a great cliff walk , one day each way . Have you visited Saragoza north of Madrid is a great little town with lots of Roman ruins. Did I mention the Alahambra ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have you ever been to Jerez for the vendimia? It would be an experience and good for language practice.
I have. Hence my suggestion.

I managed this spring to spend time in Jerez, Sanlucar de Barremeda and in El Puerto de Santa Maria coinciding with the Horse festival in Jerez and Manzanilla festival in Sanlucar and revisiting some favourite Bodegas, Tabancos and bars.

Vendimia was always the opportunity for some fun and reasonably well paid work but I'm aware that the actual harvest is getting to be conducted earlier and earlier, even staring in mid-August so might not offer the OP much opportunity by now

I had about 2 weeks to use before my return flight in 2016. I spent them in Portugal. I spent a few days each in Porto, Lisbon, and the Azores. Partly because it was more convenient and less costly from Santiago than other options I considered: Rome and Barcelona. I enjoyed the travel and experiences very much.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
needed to find a return ticket to US late September and ran into the same challenge of costing $1000 for an one-way ticket and it all had overlay and need to leave the airport for next connection flight, additional cost to stay in airport hotel. Guess what? checked a "round-trip" ticket instead from Santiago and it went down to $568, a much comfortable price I was willing to pay for return trip.

You may want to contact Pueblo Engles. You could volunteer to be an English speaker at a resort for 8 days if they need help. They give you room and board and will transport you back and forth from Madrid. My husband did it last fall when he kind of got tired of walking and had a great time. Link to their volunteer site is below. PM @Phil W if you want details of the experience.
Looks like a great program. Thanks for sharing.

To be ‘stuck’ in Spain—what a gift. I was always appreciative of the kindness of Spaniards in sharing the Camino with me. I was a guest and never forgot it.
Perhaps once rested, you will feel less a prisoner. Enjoy Gaudi’s masterpieces.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

If the money is not important to you then come south to Andalucia and spend time in Granada, Cordoba, Malaga and then Sevilla. The 4 huge jewels in the crown of Andalucia and there can be no better way to spend a month. Otherwise spending a 1000 dollars on the flight change is going to be cheaper.

Sorry to hear. We were in Porto a few weeks back. Beautiful city. I think you could easily spend a week or so touring in and around Porto.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

If you feel like hiking a little bit more, not too far from Barcelona, you might consider the "Priorat" little region.

With much legacy (monastery of Poblet, and others), nice mountain range...

Good luck.

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

My husband and I explored Paris after our Camino Frances. After our Portugese Camino we flew to Rome. After our Camino del Norte we flew to Tavira Portugal. Flights could be had cheaply. It was fun exploring other parts of Europe from Santiago. We then flew back to our original city to catch our return flight home! The world is literally your oyster!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could check out workaway. 😊

Go to Malaga you can easily spend weeks in that area. Great bus and trains.

I think it's cheaper taking that flight than staying for 4 weeks in Barcelona.
Good luck 🙏

Here’s a few ideas … just pick a few destinations and string them together, saving at least 2 or 3 days at the end for Madrid. A week would be better, especially if you’re into art, but there’s plenty to do in Madrid. Personally, I would just take trains or buses to get around and not bother with flying.

I planned an extra month in Spain so I could explore the Moorish architecture in southern cities. we also took a few days in morocco ( a short ferry ride) See Majorca. Take a train to Portugal - (hike the Portugese?) check out the beaches. So much to see, so little time

At least walk to Monserrat. It is 3 days or 4 if you like. Then rethink

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After walking the Francés to Ponferrada and Camino Invierno into Santiago, I took a train from Barcelona to Girona & then caught a ride to Cadaqués, Spain. Then walked Costa Brava (along the Mediterranean Coast) to Collioure, France. Coastline is spectacular and fun towns to stay in along the way - more pricey than the Camino, but great fun…!!!

Fabulous trip idea—take train north of Barcelona to Montserrat. There is a hotel there & wonderful dining & cafe. You can research it on Google. One night definitely but you could actually spend two nights there as there’s a wonderful area to walk through as well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Enjoy the time there, explore… there are hostels fairly inexpensive in all the cities

Stuck? I’d look at this as a new adventure. Try heading south from Barcelona along the coast to Valencia and towns/cities in between. Perhaps you’d prefer heading northwest to the beautiful Spanish city of Zaragoza. Or, head north to the lovely city of Girona and keep traveling along the coast to (in my opinion) underrated cities in southern France such as Montpellier or Marseille. Your options are virtually limitless. Seize this opportunity. Travel is not about what you’ve planned, rather simply going with the flow. Carpe Diem!😊

Be a budget tourist for a week or two (southern Spain or Portugal) and see how you feel then. You probably are "used" to lots of walking after the CF and walking is the best/cheapest way to see new towns. We had a goal to find cork trees and to try to find the cork cylinders my father always used for hand line fishing - maybe there is something in your own background that this unexpected open time could satisfy?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fabulous trip idea—take train north of Barcelona to Montserrat. There is a hotel there & wonderful dining & cafe. You can research it on Google. One night definitely but you could actually spend two nights there as there’s a wonderful area to walk through as well.

We know how you feel we did Camino del norte Irun to Santander wife got homesick due to fly to Oz November changed it to 20th October cost A$1700.we are now buying it around spain cheap and a great service use bookings.com and the bus Alsa is good see the App.

Stuck? I’d look at this as a new adventure. Try heading south from Barcelona along the coast to Valencia and towns/cities in between. Perhaps you’d prefer heading northwest to the beautiful Spanish city of Zaragoza. Or, head north to the lovely city of Girona and keep traveling along the coast to (in my opinion) underrated cities in southern France such as Montpellier or Marseille. Your options are virtually limitless. Seize this opportunity. Travel is not about what you’ve planned, rather simply going with the flow. Carpe Diem!😊
Good shout re Girona. Was there for the first time recently and was very impressed! Marseille too!

Great thread! From Europe and spent most of my life travelling it. Had a three months rail pass last year and went out and about on it. Got another one to use (Eurail discounted the 3 month pass from €902 to €451 recently to celebrate 50th birthday) and have to start using by early April so will keep an eye on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the money is not important to you then come south to Andalucia and spend time in Granada, Cordoba, Malaga and then Sevilla. The 4 huge jewels in the crown of Andalucia and there can be no better way to spend a month. Otherwise spending a 1000 dollars on the flight change is going to be cheaper.
Not forgetting Cadiz!

I planned an extra month in Spain so I could explore the Moorish architecture in southern cities. we also took a few days in morocco ( a short ferry ride) See Majorca. Take a train to Portugal - (hike the Portugese?) check out the beaches. So much to see, so little time
Just a thought , Barcelona is a cruise hub. I have taken two repositioning cruise( one way) to Barcelona from Tampa Fl. In the fall they do the opposite, Europe to USA. Check , vacations2 go.com , maybe you can get home and rest up at the same time. Prices for these cruises are pretty good.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You’ll likely spend $1,000 staying in Spain for an extra month, by the time you pay for hotels and food?

Think out of the box. Try helpx.net or workaway

First, the cost of staying (lodging and food and transport) may be more than the extra cost of changing your ticket. Second, I would recommend looking a buying a new airline ticket as an option. Sometimes buying a "round-trip" ticket is cheaper than buying a one-way ticket. So I would look at both the round-trip and the one-way options. Finally, having experienced Spain, I would NOT use the word "stuck".

As for options of what to do, they are limitless. You can look at cheap round-trip flights to other European cities to do some sight seeing. Also, you may find cheaper flights back to your "home" from another destination. Paris, France, for example, has many international flights and so does London. A very simple and yet elegant solutions is to hang around where you are and try to experience the day to day life of being there.

Carpe Diem,
Ricardo

Andorra is nice!

I’d change the ticket as you would no doubt spend $1000 staying in Spain that long. Food, lodging, sightsering, transportation. If not I’d suggezt sevilla, Toledo , Salamanca, Malaga. Safe travels

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try looking into buying another round trip ticket to get back home I was stuck in Italy due to Hurricane Sandy’s destruction in the US. It was cheaper for me to just get a random round trip ticket back to the US. A 1 way ticket was very expensive Good Luck Janet

Go to the Canary Islands. La Palma is great, the north part of Tenerife is awesome, there is a ton of hiking, accomodations and food are reasonable. I found an apartment on la gomera found 400 a month and had a great time.

Go to the Canary Islands. La Palma is great, the north part of Tenerife is awesome, there is a ton of hiking, accomodations and food are reasonable. I found an apartment on la gomera found 400 a month and had a great time.
Yes great shout. Some great islands and great hiking if you want !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Stuck?? I'm thinking you GET TO STAY in Spain!! lol There are a few islands off of Barcelona you could visit: Mallorca, Menorca, and Ibiza.

After walking the Francés to Ponferrada and Camino Invierno into Santiago, I took a train from Barcelona to Girona & then caught a ride to Cadaqués, Spain. Then walked Costa Brava (along the Mediterranean Coast) to Collioure, France. Coastline is spectacular and fun towns to stay in along the way - more pricey than the Camino, but great fun…!!!
Hi, I have been thinking of doing exactly what you did - Frances to Ponferrada and then Invierno. Currently am in Leon and weighing up my options.

Was the Invierno totally quiet or medium (I know that’s a subjective question!!) compared with Francés? Was accommodation easy to come by?

Thanks

Be a volunteer in a hostel on the Camino. You are needed!!

Well, now that you are down to just a few days, maybe you can take advantage of them right there in Barcelona. We have been there numerous times and find something new each time.

Some ideas for you to consider:

1) Take the local busses to explore the various neighborhoods.

2) Go on a walking tour of the many Modernisma buildings. You can create your own tour rather than pay for one. If you want to pay for a tour of an extraordinary building, I would suggest Casa Amatellier.

3) Find a day trip to Montserrat. We did our own thing and hiked up but the trail is not particularly well marked. Then we took the train back down.

4) Go Las Ramblas, near Placa Catalunya, and go into the mercat (market) La Bocaria. "Bar Central" is a fun place to have a meal. EXCELLENT food and friendly service.

5) Either take in a show or take a building tour of Palau de Musica, which is a feast for the eyes.

Barcelona is one of our favorite places and hopefully you will enjoy it as much as we do.

Of course, I hope you enjoyed your Camino Frances. It was a life-changing experience for me and my husband!

Good luck!

I recommend sticking in Mallorca. Many things to do and view. Check here. It's also very convenient and time-saving since it's an island. The next worth-visiting destination is Tenerife.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back