• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Student Camino Thesis Survey

was/s Cultural Heritage Tourism a motivating factor in your decision to walk The Way?

• Primary motivation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • secondary motivation

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • No motivation

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

K Malpica

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2011)
Norte & Primitivo (2014)
Greetings Amigos de Camino!

I am a student of history and anthropology studying at the University of Massachusetts Boston. I am contacting you in order to request your help by participating in a research study, which will be part of my senior thesis “El Camino de Santiago: Cultural Heritage Routes and Resources.” I would be most grateful for your assistance with this study, by taking part in an anonymous survey/questionnaire, by answering the questions below.

The purpose of this questionnaire is to better understand the motivations and experiences of present day pilgrims on El Camino de Santiago and their interest and insights regarding cultural heritage tourism in relation to their El Camino pilgrimage. Your answers and identity will remain anonymous in the written thesis, which will be presented to the anthropology department at the University of Massachusetts Boston next month.

You may skip over any questions you are unable or unwilling to answer, although completed surveys will be much appreciated . I look forward to your responses and invaluable insights. Thanks for taking the time to participate! Please feel free to forward this to others who may be willing to participate, and don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have. Here is a link to the Google doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16O9cl6xFMUblIKOiYm42xhxLEn13Gw0BKHFS6EVPb4Y/edit?usp=sharing

Please return these surveys by the first week of May and thank you for your feedback!
Muchas Gracias,
K Malpica

Camino Questionnaire/Survey: Kristine Malpica Thesis UMass Boston- Cultural Heritage Resources, Historical Routes and Branches

The purpose of this questionnaire/survey is to better understand the motivations and experiences of present day pilgrims on El Camino de Santiago and their interest and insights regarding cultural heritage tourism in relation to their El Camino pilgrimage. Please answer the following as completely and honestly as possible. You may skip questions that you are unable or unwilling to answer. Your identity will remain anonymous. By returning this completed form via email, you will be granting permission for me to use your responses as part of my thesis research. Thank you so much for your time and participation!

1. Date of Birth:

2. Gender:

3. Nationality:

4. Languages spoken:

5. How did you first hear about the Camino? Circle all that apply and rank in order of personal importance/preference by entering a number on each line, with 1 being most important. Friend/Relative__; Movie/TV/Radio__; Book/Magazine__; Website/Blog/Internet__; Other (specify)__________

6. What motivated you to go on El Camino de Santiago pilgrimage? Circle all that apply and rank in order of personal importance/preference by entering a number on each line, with 1 being most important. Religious/Spiritual__; Cultural/Historical__; Outdoor Recreation__; Health/Wellness__; Other (specify)__________

7. Which of the following do you identify yourself as? Circle all that apply and rank in order of personal importance by number, with 1 being most important. Catholic__; Protestant__; Other Christian__; Muslim__; Hindu__; Buddhist; Non-Denominational/New Age Spiritual__; Atheist/Agnostic__; Other (specify)____________

8. Is this your first trip on El Camino? Yes/No. If you have traveled the Camino before, please list the years in which you did so.

9. Did you travel alone or in a group, and why? What was that experience was like for you?

10. Which geographic Camino routes did you choose and why?

11. If you traveled on more than one route, how did they compare and affect your pilgrimage experience (ie. Scenery, Cultural heritage sites, route condition/safety, popularity etc.)

12. How many days and/or kilometers/miles did you travel?

13. How did you travel and why? Circle all that apply and rank in order of personal importance/ preference by number, with 1 being most frequent. What was the experience like for you? Walking__; Bicycling__; Horse__; Bus__; Train__; Other (specify)_____________

14. Did you read about and/or conduct research on El Camino before going on pilgrimage, and if so, what? Circle all that apply and explain:

Historical; Cultural; Religious; Spiritual; Practical; Fiction; Autobiography;

15. How did you conduct research on El Camino before going on pilgrimage? Circle all that apply and rank in order of personal importance/preference by number, with 1 being most important. Please elaborate on how this influenced your decision to go? Discussions with Friends/Family__; Historical/Cultural books__; Spiritual_____; Fictional_____;Camino/Tourist Guide books__; Websites/Blogs__; Other (specify)_________

16. How did your research and sources of information influence or affect your pilgrimage motivations and/or experience? Circle Best Choice and explain: Highly Influenced/Affected; Somewhat Influenced/Affected; Barely Influenced/Affected

17. How did your research and sources of information compare to what you saw or experienced during your pilgrimage? Circle Best Choice and explain : Closely Compared; Somewhat Compared; Barely Compared

18. Did you learn about the UNESCO World Heritage status, Council of Europe Cultural Itinerary or other official heritage designations granted to El Camino before you went on pilgrimage? If so, how did you hear about them? Did these designations or the cultural heritage sites on El Camino influence your decision to go and why? If not, did you learn about these during or after your pilgrimage and if so how? Circle best choice and explain: Very Important; Somewhat Important; Not Important

19. Did the UNESCO World Heritage designation or other cultural heritage status of El Camino influence/affect your interest, motivation, decisions or pilgrimage experience in any way, and if so how? Circle Best Choice and explain: Highly Influenced/Affected; Somewhat Influenced/Affected; Barely Influenced/Affected

20. Did you visit any sites considered to be cultural heritage sites/resources during your pilgrimage? Circle all that apply and rank in order of personal importance/preference by entering a number on each line, with 1 being most important, and explain: Christian Churches/shrines__; historic buildings/structures/monuments__; historic/cultural landmarks/signs/markers__; Pre-Christian sites (ie. Basque, Roman, Celt-Iberian; megaliths; cultural caves)__; museums/interpretive centers__; Other (specify)__________

21. If you visited any sites considered to be cultural heritage sites/resources during your pilgrimage, do you feel their designation, connection to or identity with El Camino was clearly represented to the public? Circle best choice and, if yes, explain in what ways and how: Very Clearly; Somewhat Clearly; Not Clearly

22. Did your interaction with these cultural heritage sites/resources influence/affect your personal pilgrimage experience? Circle best choice and, if yes, explain in what ways and how: Significantly influenced/affected; Somewhat influenced/affected; Barely influenced/affected

23. Do you feel that the marketing and representation of El Camino as a cultural heritage route/resource and tourist itinerary influences and affects El Camino’s identity and pilgrimage experience? Circle best choice and, if yes, in what ways and how? Significantly influences/affects; Somewhat influences/affects; Barely influences/affects

24. What, if any, insights or predictions do you have about the future of El Camino pilgrimage in relation to its designation as an UNESCO world heritage site and/or status and promotion as a cultural heritage tourist itinerary?

25. Do you think there are differences between “authentic pilgrims” and “tourist pilgrims”? Circle best choice and if yes, please explain in what ways and how? Very Different; Somewhat Different; Barely Different

26. Can you please tell me in a few sentences whether facing the challenge of the Camino, and actually doing it, was spiritually important to you?

What did you learn about yourself from doing it that was new to you? Did you find that your experiences differed or changed from your original motivations and if so, how?

28. How, if at all, has your pilgrimage experience affected you? Did doing the Camino change your life in any way?

29. Will you go on El Camino de Santiago pilgrimage again? Why or why not? What would you do differently?

30. Please feel free to add anything you feel is important for others to know about your experience or El Camino in general.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.