• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Student group seeking advice

Traveler1579

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Greetings friends,
This is my first post here. I have never walked the Camino, but I am helping to arrange a group of students to do a short section. I know, this sounds strange, but let me explain.

I work for a gap year organization. We send students on 3 month trips all over the world. For this trip, the students (just out of high school, 18-19 years old), will be spending about 3 weeks in southern Spain, and then a little over 2 months in Morocco. They will be studying Human Migration, looking into the realities of people migrating into Europe from Africa, and people migrating from rural villages into larger cities. They will engage in various educational projects, and during their limited time in Spain, I would love for them to be able to actually do some "migration" themselves. The group will arrive on September 12th, will probably be about 10 in total, and will be seeking to begin a 4 day walk about the 25th of September.

They will be flying into Malaga, and spending time in Tarifa, and Granada. I have been looking at the stages of the Camino Mozarabe, and the Via de la Plata and I'm seeking advice.

The group will be inexperienced hikers. I would say that 12-17km a day would be a max for them. We do not have a particular place we need to start, or end, just that it is accessible by public transport where they start and end.

I have read many Camino blogs, and there is some amazing information available, but I am seeking first hand advice on what would be a good, not so strenuous, 4-5 day section in this area, with cheap accommodations along the way.

As the groups are students, we are operating on a limited budget. Typically $30-$40 per person, per day. I don't know if I am being too hopeful, but this is what I have to work with.

Additionally, the further south they begin, the better logistically speaking. They will already be far south, and will be relying on public transportation. Maybe something out of Sevilla? Thoughts?

Any information would be helpful. I have downloaded the english guides, I have been to the major websites, and at this stage, I'm seeking advice from anyone who has been in this region before. Thank you to everyone out there in this community, and I truly look forward to hearing from you all!
Cheers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am on the VDLP/Sanabres , which starts in Seville, right now.

One of the most challenging things about this route is the long stages without towns along the way to make the stages shorter or stop for a bite to eat.

I can understand your reasons for wanting a route in the south. The reality is that given the fitness level you describe, the Frances is your best choice. The only other way that I can think to start in Seville and walk short distances would be to charter a van that could pick you up or drop you off in pre-arranged places.

Buen Camino.

Going to piggy back onto this thread. I'm planning to leave Granada mid September then onto the Via de la Plata. This will be my 4th Camino and would enjoy any comments/overview of this route for those that have walked it before and thanks in advance....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from AlmerĂ­a. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back