• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stupid question about the boat ride

LindaH82

Time of past OR future Camino
None
So I'm probably worrying about nothing, but anyway...

I hope to walk the Caminho Portugues with the Variante Espiritual in september of this year. I'm really looking forward to the boat ride! But I've been worrying myself. I understand there are two types of boat, one a larger ferry-type and a smaller dinghy type. Now, as it happens, I have a disability that makes it harder to make big steps up if I don't have something to hold on to to hoist myself up. In other words, I'm worried if I'm having to sail in the dinghy, I won't make it out of the boat again! D:

Help! Please calm my (stupid) worry. Either tell me they're not using the dinghy anymore, or tell me everybody is always supernice and there will absolutely be a bunch of handsome young Spaniards there to gently lift me out of the boat, or something. :p I *know* it's probably gonna be fine but sometimes it's hard to argue with that irrational part of your brain, isn't it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I hope to walk the Caminho Portugues with the Variante Espiritual in september of this year. I'm really looking forward to the boat ride! But I've been worrying myself. I understand there are two types of boat, one a larger ferry-type and a smaller dinghy type. Now, as it happens, I have a disability that makes it harder to make big steps up if I don't have something to hold on to to hoist myself up. In other words, I'm worried if I'm having to sail in the dinghy, I won't make it out of the boat again! D:

Help! Please calm my (stupid) worry. Either tell me they're not using the dinghy anymore, or tell me everybody is always supernice and there will absolutely be a bunch of handsome young Spaniards there to gently lift me out of the boat, or something. :p I *know* it's probably gonna be fine but sometimes it's hard to argue with that irrational part of your brain, isn't it!

Sorry that I do not have the answer you are seeking. However, I just wanted to encourage you to keep asking questions 😁! .... your question suggests you have good anticipatory planning skills and that s a sign of intelligence!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
.... right, that is certainly true. It's not like the Captain is gonna want me living on his boat indefinitely, being ferried back and forth until the end of time... :p

"Who's that woman on the boat?"
"Oh she's a Camino legend, that's Linda, who got stuck on the boat for lack of help to get off... Look, she's even mentioned in the 2030 edition of Brierly!" :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Linda, When I took the dinghy (in October 2018) the crew seemed committed to the environment and making the (cold) journey interesting and comfortable. They were very helpful loading bikes for some cyclists who joined part way. You will be fine.
¡Buen Camino!
IMG_9427.JPG

Hola Linda - firstly: there are no stupid questions. Some maybe way off the mark but to repeat there are no stupid questions. If you do not know then the only way is to ask.

I see you have had your question answered. Good luck with the Camino Portugues this year. I am hoping to walk from Porto in May 2022, COVID19 permitting. Cheers

Hi Linda!
I checked out this video months ago while trying to tick all the; can i do boxes because of my own disability. Mine is a visual not physical disability.
Getting on and off the boat; be it the big one or the small one is still an issue!
Its on Youtube!

Variante espiritual del Camino Portugués - Ruta Xacobea marítima​

The video shows the route in the rigid speedboat and right near the end the Pilgrims disembarking.
It also shows the crew assisting pilgrims from the boat onto the dock;it might give you some idea of what to expect and the height of the step out (i am making the assumption that the pilgrims shown are all able bodied)
So i think that they will readily assist you and i!
I am also sure that other people on the boat would without doubt lend a hand i would without question.

I think that it will be this small boat due to numbers of pilgrims at this time late September early October (that's if Santiago is still your goal for your birthday)and members on here who have done the spiritual at this time of year could comment!
All the best
Woody

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If for whatever reason you found yourself unable to take the boat, it remains possible to walk instead ; just through what I understand to be a somewhat unattractive commercial/industrial district.

I think that it will be this small boat due to numbers of pilgrims at this time late September early October (that's if Santiago is still your goal for your birthday)and members on here who have done the spiritual at this time of year could comment!
We had a bigger boat than this (with an indoor covered section) for five pilgrims, which we were told was the minimum, on Oct 1 2020.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked in June 2019 and had two groups in larger boats. Here’s a picture. There weren’t that many on either boat. I think there were still small steps out. They may have a ramp they can use. 67C2D529-D962-4A83-9BC6-CA2640558173.jpeg2CAA1D7D-E130-4235-BF5F-D0A332231338.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks so much y'all! Those pictures of the boats are so helpful. The photo @Latecomer posted, the step looks much less daunting than I was envisioning it. :)

@woody66 I remember you from an earlier post, I hope you get to go, too!

Thanks again everyone. Good to know I won't be stuck after all. Although I had already been designing my own sello, something with St Linda of the Boat... ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Linda!
I checked out this video months ago while trying to tick all the; can i do boxes because of my own disability. Mine is a visual not physical disability.
Getting on and off the boat; be it the big one or the small one is still an issue!
Its on Youtube!

Variante espiritual del Camino Portugués - Ruta Xacobea marítima​

The video shows the route in the rigid speedboat and right near the end the Pilgrims disembarking.
It also shows the crew assisting pilgrims from the boat onto the dock;it might give you some idea of what to expect and the height of the step out (i am making the assumption that the pilgrims shown are all able bodied)
So i think that they will readily assist you and i!
I am also sure that other people on the boat would without doubt lend a hand i would without question.

All the best
Woody
And not a lifejacket to be seen, this would not be allowed here, or most places, for a commercial company, it is absolute madness. I would not use them, I have been around boats and water too long to see what can happen when you don't wear a lifejacket or respect the water.

And not a lifejacket to be seen, this would not be allowed here, or most places, for a commercial company, it is absolute madness. I would not use them, I have been around boats and water too long to see what can happen when you don't wear a lifejacket or respect the water.
We all had lifejackets!!

Blimey Wayfarer;that's something i hadn't realised!
Just to excited about the trip i suppose.
I have been thinking about doing the boat; for two years; I have messaged Bahia sub and asked the question about life jackets so await a response.( will i still go Yes)
Woody

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
.... right, that is certainly true. It's not like the Captain is gonna want me living on his boat indefinitely, being ferried back and forth until the end of time... :p

"Who's that woman on the boat?"
"Oh she's a Camino legend, that's Linda, who got stuck on the boat for lack of help to get off... Look, she's even mentioned in the 2030 edition of Brierly!" :D
🤣👍

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I went in 2018 there was a ramp going up into the boat. The boat had about 50 or 60 people seated in the comfortable seats. It was a fairly big boat. PS you are going to love that Camino. Bye for now.

I understand there are two types of boat, one a larger ferry-type and a smaller dinghy type.
When my wife and I did the boat trip in June 2019, two companies offered the service: A Mare and Bahia-Sub (https://www.labarcadelperegrino.com). We went with Bahia-Sub, which offered the larger boat that particular morning. However, I've seen indications elsewhere on the Web that Bahia-Sub also utilizes the black dinghy on occasion. The situation is complicated by the tides, which vary throughout the year and influence schedules -- and likely choice of boat. Perhaps the best thing to do is either arrange your boat ride through the tourist office a day or so before sailing or through your lodging in Vilanova de Arousa. We originally booked A Mare through the tourist office but then switched to Bahia-Sub at the last minute on the dock because they had an earlier departure.

Thanks for your reassurances, everybody! :) Feeling much more confident.

@kenwilltravel I've booked my trip through CaminoWays. Not sure which company they book through, but since I booked the "Easy way", I would guess they book the one with the bigger boat. I'll just have to wait and see. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone,
Bit long but i hope the info in it will be helpful;i think that this might make it easier for others to book the boat considering the content of the last email and how people want to proceed in sorting the trip!!
It think it might make it a bit easier for me.
The price has gone up to 20 euros and i also now know i have to get to the boat by 7 am on the 8th October (which is a pain cos it will be dark and i will be able to see diddly squat; might be a man overboard before the boat bloody moves ha!ha!).
Just need to pray for good weather!

In an earlier post in this thread;i jumped the gun and emailed BAHIA SUB about life jackets to which i got a speedy response below:

Good morning.
Our company is dedicated to passenger transport, , therefore all our boats have vests for more than the total passengers (125% ... that is, there are 25% more than vests), and there is also a life raft that has more capacity than the passage. The crew has experience and qualifications in rescue and first aid, so they will travel safely both for the material we have and for the personnel on board.

I then asked this:
Hello!
I have a reservation at the Hotel Alpina in Vila Nova de Arousa from October 6th to 8th. Will the Pilgrim boat still continue to operate on October 8?
Thank you very much.

And lastly i was sent this email:
Good Morning
Thanks so much for your message ¡! And sorry the delay ,
We start the trips on the 30th of May and (if the covid situation is correct) we offer the route every day until 31th of November.

The 8th of October the boat Will leave at 7h.

This trip depend the tide. There are some places in the river that with low tide stay without water enough to sail ;so we need a tide table for the departures, this is the reason for the departure at 7h. ( sorry is too early but it must be)
The trip takes one hour and a half and is guided. We stop four times during the trip for explain the most important like the Bateas ( the wood sea platforms where the mussels are cultivated), the Cortegada´s Island , the rest of the west Towers in Catoira with the drakkar vikingo and the most important The CRUCEIROS ( stone crucifixes very typical in Galicia) , this Journey has got the unique “VIA CRUZIS” ( group of 17 cruceiros) Maritime and maritime in the world that have been built in honor to Santiago Apostol and these cruceiros show the river way to Santiago.

This trip is amazing and mix beauty and history .
We offer an snack free onboard.
The price is 20€ for person
So if you want we can send a booking and in September (end of September) I will send an email for the payment and send the boarding pass
For the booking we need:
Complete name
Number of passengers
Phone number
I wait your reply, if you have any doubt please ask me, I will be so delighted in help
Good way

All the best
Woody

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back