• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stupid question

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I don't really have a stupid question right now, but I'm trying to think of one to post here. I now realize that the motivation for many on the Camino forum to post stupid questions is just to start a dialog with people who are like-minded and want to talk about their up-coming Caminos. I don't even really need or want too much advice, as I like to discover things for myself along the way. My VdLP walk is not until March 2019, but I just want to talk about it, dammit!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't really have a stupid question right now, but I'm trying to think of one to post here. I now realize that the motivation for many on the Camino forum to post stupid questions is just to start a dialog with people who are like-minded and want to talk about their up-coming Camino. I don't even really need/want too much advice, as I like to discover things for myself along the way. My VdLP walk is not until March 2019, but I just want to talk about it, dammit!

I just want to make an another one :)

I don't really have a stupid question right now, but I'm trying to think of one to post here. I now realize that the motivation for many on the Camino forum to post stupid questions is just to start a dialog with people who are like-minded and want to talk about their up-coming Caminos. I don't even really need or want too much advice, as I like to discover things for myself along the way. My VdLP walk is not until March 2019, but I just want to talk about it, dammit!
Well, OK then: Why the VdLP and not one of the other Caminos? I actually want to hear (read) your reasons for choosing that, because I know nothing about the VdLP (I have only walked the Francés and am thinking about which one to choose next time). Regards Torben

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that "stupid" questions usually appear when people are too lazy to use Search function or Google the internet a bit and then they are asking so-called stupid questions. Like how to get from Biarritz airport to SJPdP? Hell, and how did you get from small town in Nebraska (for example) to Biarritz???
And similar... :D

Otherwise there aren't stupid questions.
Only stupid people.

PS (Oh, I already feel this post will be erased :D)

Last edited:
I think that "stupid" questions usually appears when people are too lazy to use Search function or Google the internet a bit and then they are asking so-called stupid questions. Like how to get from Biarritz airport to SJPdP? Hell, and how did you get from small town in Nebraska (for example) to Biarritz???

Only stupid people.

What you said is so true.

Wish you well , Peter .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, it is not because I don't know how to research or that I am to lazy to do the research on the VdLP. I am just curious about the personal reflections and thoughts behind choosing the VdLP and not I.e. the Norte or another one...
Oh, Torben, no no no, that wasn't a reply to your post. Not at all. I understood it well and it's completely legitimate . It was a bit of pun to Jill's OP ;)

I'm kinda known to stir up things sometimes, hehehe.

@JillGat OK this gives me a chance to muse on the VdlP. And, @Torben Olesen - it was easy for me to choose the VdlP for my last camino - I like to finish in SDC, I like a long walk, I like supportive infrastructure, I like other pilgrims for company, I wanted a walk in Spain, and I'd already walked the CF, the Norte, and the Madrid.

I was not fit when I started, and it was tough. A bit of training would have made a big difference. Distances were tricky - they were either very long days, or very short days. I chose the latter, but that meant I had to skip the Salamanca to Zamora section to make up some time. Not that it mattered - I traversed that section last year when I was coping with a foot injury, and it is probably the most uninspiring of the whole Camino.

Early spring was an ideal time. The flowers were spectacular. Really spectacular. I was lucky in that there had been a lot of rain in the weeks before I arrived, but by the time I got there the flooding had pretty much cleared. The weather was cool, in fact downright cold in the early mornings. Overcast a lot of the time, and very grey. Which I do not mind, as I tend to burn very easily.

I absolutely loved the Sanabrés. Loved it.

Now, to think about where next....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Go for a walk

@JillGat OK this gives me a chance to muse on the VdlP. And, @Torben Olesen - it was easy for me to choose the VdlP for my last camino - I like to finish in SDC, I like a long walk, I like supportive infrastructure, I like other pilgrims for company, I wanted a walk in Spain, and I'd already walked the CF, the Norte, and the Madrid.

I was not fit when I started, and it was tough. A bit of training would have made a big difference. Distances were tricky - they were either very long days, or very short days. I chose the latter, but that meant I had to skip the Salamanca to Zamora section to make up some time. Not that it mattered - I traversed that section last year when I was coping with a foot injury, and it is probably the most uninspiring of the whole Camino.

Early spring was an ideal time. The flowers were spectacular. Really spectacular. I was lucky in that there had been a lot of rain in the weeks before I arrived, but by the time I got there the flooding had pretty much cleared. The weather was cool, in fact downright cold in the early mornings. Overcast a lot of the time, and very grey. Which I do not mind, as I tend to burn very easily.

Interesting, because I had been thinking about the Norte and the Invierno. But the infrastructure doesn´t appear to be that supportive, if you as me are on a limited budget. Sadly enough because I would love to enjoy the scenery along both routes....I like to walk alone, in silence and think - and I like to enjoy the Company and cameraderie of other pilgrims, after the days walking and thinking. Especially the Cold beer in good Company to celebrate a good day of walking.
But now I wil study the VdLP more closely and consider it for my Camino 2019 :)

Last edited:
VdlP is unique, the most spiritual of all Caminos, particularly in spring time. It is very different to Francés or any other Camino, but once you start feeling it, it is unique. Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As a newbie - what's the best way of cooling down your feet when they feel like they're on fire after the day's walk? Open to all ideas, suggestions. Even off the wall ones....

As a newbie - what's the best way of cooling down your feet when they feel like they're on fire after the day's walk? Open to all ideas, suggestions. Even off the wall ones....

Well, everybody probably has a different solution on this one. I personally get into the shade, take the shoes and socks off as quickly as possible, raise the feet and rest them on i.e. a chair or bed frame while I enjoy a cold beer and a little food….. It kind of feels like the blood and “body fluids” and heat run away from the feet due to the elevated position. I may also change into flip-flops in order to allow the feet to cool down.
Make sure to allow them to dry and ventilate. That helps a lot.

During the days walk I also stop at least once every two hours IOT change socks and allow the feet to ventilate and cool a Little bit Down. Last but not least I Wear very well ventilated Moab Shoes that allows the heat to escape on a hot day - also during the walk itself.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@E Daly plunge them in a bucket of cold water. One of the delights of wearing sandals on the Via de la Plata was wading through clear cold streams. My feet loved it.
And you didn´t get blisters from getting the feet wet?
I wish I could use sandals but my feet and sandals don´t get along well. I have very bad memories from a certain Roman road on Frances....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Torben Olesen most of us who enjoy the Vdlp do so because it is a long and contemplative walk filled with history where you can still stretch out on a lonley road. It's tough reputation and the need to be able to walk 30km a day while carrying your pack and enough water to get you through the day means it tends to attract those who are prepared to be stubborn enough to complete it. Churches are fewer and more humble, the spiritual element is more internal.

@JillGat I think the most stupid question I get is "why", trying to explain why to people who don't understand why we don't go to the beach for our holiday. The next set of stupid questions revolve around a heap of things but are usually just tyre kickers who ask and ask but never actually do. I am glad you are excited about your trip, even if it is still a year away.

Yesterday a good friend, a clinical psychologist, after learning that I was planning yet another camino, said that her diagnosis of me is that I am "completely whacko"! She's right.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think that "stupid" questions usually appears when people are too lazy to use Search function or Google the internet a bit and then they are asking so-called stupid questions. Like how to get from Biarritz airport to SJPdP? Hell, and how did you get from small town in Nebraska (for example) to Biarritz???

Only stupid people.

I hope the post WON'T be deleted because you are oh so right

@Torben Olesen most of us who enjoy the Vdlp do so because it is a long and contemplative walk filled with history where you can still stretch out on a lonley road. It's tough reputation and the need to be able to walk 30km a day while carrying your pack and enough water to get you through the day means it tends to attract those who are prepared to be stubborn enough to complete it. Churches are fewer and more humble, the spiritual element is more internal.

@JillGat I think the most stupid question I get is "why", trying to explain why to people who don't understand why we don't go to the beach for our holiday. The next set of stupid questions revolve around a heap of things but are usually just tyre kickers who ask and ask but never actually do. I am glad you are excited about your trip, even if it is still a year away.
Thank you, the more I hear about VdLP the more it sounds like a good Camino for me - for exactly the reasons you mention. I like a quiet Camino although I - as mentioned - like a beer and good company in the evenings. But the spiritual and meditative part is by far the most important part for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, JillGat, as a discoverer, why not branch out at Alconetar - between Casar de Caceres and Cañaveral - on the Via Dalmatia? This, indeed, may even have been a route more frequented by Pilgrims than the one which follows the motorway and which has been promoted by the EU. The Via Dalmatia goes straight north to Coria, one of the oldest diocese in Spain, whose Cathedral has a Puerto del Perdon, via the beautiful Sierra de Gata with its Roman road up on to the Meseta. This is one of the gentlest routes on to the great Northern plateau and leads directly to Robledo which had an important pilgrim hospital. From there it is about 20 km to Ciudad Rodrigo where you would have the choice of heading to Santiago via Portugal on the Camino Torres http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/ or head for Salamanca to rejoin the VdLP. On his return from Santiago, St. Francis of Assisi spent several months in the area of Ciudad Rodrigo, a beautiful walled city, which like Merida, Salamanca and Zamora, the pilgrim enters by the Roman bridge.
The adventurer can also find satisfaction that much of the route is unmarked.
Maybe this is a silly answer.

Thank you, it sounds like my type of Camino. The spiritual part of walking the Camino is actually my reason for being there in the first place. I will definitely do some research on it and consider it seriously!
Me too, I think.

VdlP is unique, the most spiritual of all Caminos, particularly in spring time. It is very different to Francés or any other Camino, but once you start feeling it, it is unique. Buen camino!
Hi All
I agree the VDLP is unique. I was also fortunate to start in mid April this year after heavy rainfalls. Some areas were flooded and tricky but the overall walking tracks exceeded my expectations. Many hours walking through lightly wooded fields growing the oak trees the pigs feed on to produce the famous Iberian ham. The flowers amazed me as they just seem to have jumped out of the ground and were so vibrant. Extramadura was a delight with rolling fields and old ruins.
Yes some stages were tricky so I used some of the off track accomodation so I had manageable distances; 20 km a day is my preferred maximum. Mixed albergues from 5 star to 2 star; like life some days!
The other walkers were so different to the other 4 Caminos I have done; usually very experienced and with lots of interesting stories. Some had started in Cadiz or down at Almeria in SE Spain so had already walked 300-500 km before joining the VDLP.
Loved the history in the three main Roman towns up to Salamanca where I had to stop this year.
Would die if trying it now with 40C+ temperatures.
Yes a seriously great and yes unique in my experience also
Happymark

So a kind of virtual Camino Cafe where you can put your feet up, chew the fat and sip a cafe con leche?
Shall there be cake too? ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When you say you walked in early Spring when did you start? I am planning to walk from Seville next year and my current thoughts are to start at the end of February - any thoughts.

Simon

When you say you walked in early Spring when did you start? I am planning to walk from Seville next year and my current thoughts are to start at the end of February - any thoughts.

Simon
Mid february might be a bit early, I would say, if you can make it at least mid March, it would be better, more flowers, longer days, warmer weather... Buen camino!
Hi All
I agree the VDLP is unique. I was also fortunate to start in mid April this year after heavy rainfalls. Some areas were flooded and tricky but the overall walking tracks exceeded my expectations. Many hours walking through lightly wooded fields growing the oak trees the pigs feed on to produce the famous Iberian ham. The flowers amazed me as they just seem to have jumped out of the ground and were so vibrant. Extramadura was a delight with rolling fields and old ruins.
Yes some stages were tricky so I used some of the off track accomodation so I had manageable distances; 20 km a day is my preferred maximum. Mixed albergues from 5 star to 2 star; like life some days!
The other walkers were so different to the other 4 Caminos I have done; usually very experienced and with lots of interesting stories. Some had started in Cadiz or down at Almeria in SE Spain so had already walked 300-500 km before joining the VDLP.
Loved the history in the three main Roman towns up to Salamanca where I had to stop this year.
Would die if trying it now with 40C+ temperatures.
Yes a seriously great and yes unique in my experience also
Happymark
that is the best time of the year to start, and then when you reach Salamanca, the landscape and the temperatures change dramatically in 2 hours on foot! I just LOVE VdlP!!!

Happymark

I prefer walking 20K a day, too. Around 25K is when I start remembering that I have arthritis. CClearly posted her itinerary on the VdLP, that had shorter distances. HappyMarkos, Would you share some of your intermediate, off track stopping places? I'll make decisions as I go, but it would be nice to know some options.

I have ruminated on the Primitivo and Via Francigena in Italy for 2019, and hope to do those someday. I'm not sure what made me finally decide on the VdLP, but southern Spain appeals to me, I like open spaces with flowers and not many other walkers, I am interested in the Roman history, and how different it seems to be from the CF (which I also loved).

And Hel&Scott, my walk is not a year away. It's only eight and a half months away! :D

Hi JillGat
I once got annoyed by an answer to a question I posted on the forum. Initially, I felt really stupid (not my question) but I got over it. I was in the early stages of planning my Primativo and I have to say that the responses helped me to revisit my plans, for the best. Once I get to Spain I like to move on toward Santiago, on my own terms, at my pace and to discover things for myself. Is this not one of the central elements of the Camino or pilgrimage? I don't mind that many whom I met seem to know so much more than I about "The Camino". I research a lot but don't know everything. I certainly am learning as I go along and am thrilled by each discovery. I will be walking the half of Via de la Plata late September and looking forward to it.
Please keep posting. I also really enjoy the interaction and the valuable information shared by so many generous people / pilgrims on this forum. Much of it generated by your posts.

The title of this thread caught my eye, and I glanced at the original poster. Then thought - "Stupid question from @JillGat?! Not likely!"

I love the VDLP. I have walked from Sevilla to Astorga but haven't done the Sanabres yet. One thing I especially like is that it is central, and there are many routes that join up with it, so I have several years of walks ahead of me where I can start or finish with a piece of the VDLP. For example, in 2018 I did the Mozarabe to Merida and had time left so I walked VDLP to Canaveral (then took the bus to Salamanca as I was out of time). In fact I have walked that piece for 3 years in a row and would happily do it every year.

The Sanabres is at the top of my list for next year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I see what you done there. Very clever.
Buen (questions answered) Camino

Well, it is not because I don't know how to research or that I am to lazy to do the research on the VdLP. I am just curious about the personal reflections and thoughts behind choosing the VdLP and not I.e. the Norte or another one...
Greetings, we have walked the CF twice and met great people. My husband calls me a fence sniffer as i am always peering over stone fences at crops or gardens. I have had some lovely early morning chats with Spanish gardeners and farmers. We are planning on walking the VdLP February 2020 with a Canadian we met last year. Why VdLP? it reports to be a road less traveled and we are fascinated by the Roman history, our country is barely 150 years of european settlement. We are rural people and have enjoyed the rural parts of Spain. Cities are rather similar and cathedrals are stunning but often make me feel they are monuments to man not God. I wonder at the enforced poverty of the people to provide and build these monuments. My husband points out that faith and a place to worship also provided security and respite. anyway that's another controversial topic.
I hope you enjoy the VdLP and we hear more about your preparation and camino experience.

Yesterday a good friend, a clinical psychologist, after learning that I was planning yet another camino, said that her diagnosis of me is that I am "completely whacko"! She's right.

Well, I'm a clinical psychologist and I'm walking my 4th camino in 5 years at 60 years old...her diagnosis is not correct :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Greetings, we have walked the CF twice and met great people. My husband calls me a fence sniffer as i am always peering over stone fences at crops or gardens. I have had some lovely early morning chats with Spanish gardeners and farmers. We are planning on walking the VdLP February 2020 with a Canadian we met last year. Why VdLP? it reports to be a road less traveled and we are fascinated by the Roman history, our country is barely 150 years of european settlement. We are rural people and have enjoyed the rural parts of Spain. Cities are rather similar and cathedrals are stunning but often make me feel they are monuments to man not God. I wonder at the enforced poverty of the people to provide and build these monuments. My husband points out that faith and a place to worship also provided security and respite. anyway that's another controversial topic.
I hope you enjoy the VdLP and we hear more about your preparation and camino experience.
The Vdlp attracts a lot of Kiwis, I think because it is so different from tramping at home.

Thank you, it sounds like my type of Camino. The spiritual part of walking the Camino is actually my reason for being there in the first place. I will definitely do some research on it and consider it seriously!

This thread isn't turning out exactly how I intended... that it might convince half this forum to join me on my tranquil walk on the Via de La Plata.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, OK then: Why the VdLP and not one of the other Caminos? I actually want to hear (read) your reasons for choosing that, because I know nothing about the VdLP (I have only walked the Francés and am thinking about which one to choose next time). Regards Torben
VdlP is remarkably varied. Having walked parts of it twice and all of it twice I quess I’d have to say it is my favorite Camino followed by the St. Marie-Somport-Jaca- Porta de Reina)
The title of this thread caught my eye, and I glanced at the original poster. Then thought - "Stupid question from @JillGat?! Not likely!"

I love the VDLP. I have walked from Sevilla to Astorga but haven't done the Sanabres yet. One thing I especially like is that it is central, and there are many routes that join up with it, so I have several years of walks ahead of me where I can start or finish with a piece of the VDLP. For example, in 2018 I did the Mozarabe to Merida and had time left so I walked VDLP to Canaveral (then took the bus to Salamanca as I was out of time). In fact I have walked that piece for 3 years in a row and would happily do it every year.

The Sanabres is at the top of my list for next year.
Depending of course on weather and time of year, from my own experience on various camino, the Sanabres is the most challenging, naturally beautiful and quiet of caminos.

This thread isn't turning out exactly how I intended... that it might convince half this forum to join me on my tranquil walk on the Via de La Plata.
Maybe not. There are some days (perhaps many) that are not for the casual sometime walker. Day 3 out of Seville (in my opinion) is more difficult than any on the French route including day 1 (except in the snow).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So you fear the start of VdLP will be the "new Sarria" in peak time......;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ha ha, walked the Meseta last year in July during the heat wave. I sometimes felt I was the only person on this planet...no one else in sight for miles on end

Well, I'm a clinical psychologist and I'm walking my 4th camino in 5 years at 60 years old...her diagnosis is not correct :)
...but plausible.
Best stick with that conclusion lest everybody will come Spain...

I can tell you I am starting my 4th Camino in September doing the Camino Norte. I have done the CF,
Once from St. Jean to Finestere and once from Le Puy to SDC. Also did Portugues from Lisbon. I look forward to more solitude and beauty on the Norte. I loved walking CF and would love to do it again but it felt like it was Gramd Central Station at rush hour a lot. The last one was four years ago in Late September and October . I can’t imagine what it’s like now. I will do it again one day in winter and I think it could be amazing. Recently, without getting ahead of myself, I watched the documentary about The Via de la Plata. I have read a little about it too. I think it could be a really wonderful and intense experience. I would never do it in the summer. But I’ll late fall Camino walking 1000 km by myself with myself most every day alone, to me would be a wonderful challenge and a great way to continue to reconnect with myself. I think that’s why I would like to do it.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. The more I read and hear about VdLP I realise I have to walk it. I have had very intense spiritual experiences on the CF even during the peak periods so I believe a quiet Camino like the VdLP would be even better. I found myself on my first Camino and I am forever grateful for the experience and the people I met back then. Some of them probably never realised it but they were true Camino angels to me just when I needed it most....thank you so much to everyone I met on the Camino!

What walk will you do?
We are rewalking the Vdlp, but starting in Merida. I am not one for going back or repeating, but I am making an exception in this case.

The VDLP is quiet, beautiful and full of friendly people. I personally don't like the idea of walking with huge crowds of people every day, which is why I haven't done the Frances. I've done the VDLP several times and I can always find people to socialize with in town at night (other pilgrims), but it's nice and quiet while you're walking.

Is it easier to meet and mingle with the locals on the VDLP?
That was certainly my experience last year walking in October, then again in January & February. Especially in my winter walk where I only met 5 other pilgrims in 20 days. When a village is not swamped with pilgrims people have more time and inclination to stop and talk with someone who is just passing through. Far more like my early Camino Frances walks than my most recent one in 2016.

You know I think the biggest question is WHY. I feel you guys expressed many of my own feelings. I don't feel like revisiting the CAMINO FRANCES again. My experience and the people I met could not be repeated. It was just so big. But back to WHY. In 2017 I set out for Finisterra on my own after the Primitivo. Half way through day two I was empty and needed company. I met 2 Angels, the feeling passed and the rest is history. I have to work this out on my own and I feel the VdlP offers the opportunity.
I recall a discussion in SJPdP on the night before I set out on my CF. I was asked WHY I was walking the Camino. I could not answer the question in any meaningful way to the questioner or to myself. It has been a longing within me for more than 35 years but that does not answer why. The fact that I carry all that I require on my back and walk this pilgrimage alone was one of my early attractions to the Camino. I know I'm on a journey and VdlP is the next phase. I expect that less pilgrims will be a significant part of this one. Maybe I will learn some more about why when I meet me!

You never know. Careful what you wish for because you might get it ;)
I'd be up for it....and as a kiwi now canadian would seem to fit in well! Was thinking of starting a little earlier though i.e. Feb 2019.

€60,-
I too have recently finished some post grad study in this area and do not feel "whacko" heading off on my thrid camino (in two weeks) at age 60, to me it is a celebration :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is no such thing as a stupid question - only stupid answers.;)

Bob M

So a kind of virtual Camino Cafe where you can put your feet up, chew the fat and sip a cafe con leche?
Shall there be cake too? ;)
It's been pointed out that the problem with a virtual Camino Cafe would be who wipes down the tables and washes up the cups? Could be a very long thread this one! :confused:

Kool, wait till you have us join you for fush and chips with some bears...
How do I make my sentences inflect up and sound like a question...
You need to introduce an element of self-doubt in your voice and raise the last word by half an octave:

"Hi, my name is Jeff."

"Pardon?"

"Er, my name is Jeff?"

is a good start.

You need to introduce an element of self-doubt in your voice and raise the last word by half an octave:

"Hi, my name is Jeff."

"Pardon?"

"Er, my name is Jeff?"

is a good start.
Na mate, yoose got it wrong, it's Juff, right...

Ok I know kinda started this, but it's time to shut it down before we stray past the friendly ribbing stage... Or I might have to flip this up on Grahame's big red chair.

I prefer walking 20K a day, too. Around 25K is when I start remembering that I have arthritis. CClearly posted her itinerary on the VdLP, that had shorter distances. HappyMarkos, Would you share some of your intermediate, off track stopping places? I'll make decisions as I go, but it would be nice to know some options.

I have ruminated on the Primitivo and Via Francigena in Italy for 2019, and hope to do those someday. I'm not sure what made me finally decide on the VdLP, but southern Spain appeals to me, I like open spaces with flowers and not many other walkers, I am interested in the Roman history, and how different it seems to be from the CF (which I also loved).

And Hel&Scott, my walk is not a year away. It's only eight and a half months away! :D
Hi GillGatt
I used Gerald Kelly’s book available through Ivar. Gerald outlines several options for long stretches. For several I even caught a bus for part of the way then did my 20 km. In one case the bus went to a town off route and I had a 4 km walk to join the camino. Gronze.com is a great asset in case you haven’t come across it.
At 74 I need to keep within my capabilities.
Buen Camino

Actually, I hear the VdLP is not only a hard walk, with long distance stages across a desolate, dusty landscape, but you often have to run to escape the bulls, pigs and rabid dogs. ;)
And when you are not running from those animals, you are simply bored to death by the terrain in the day and the company of crusty old pilgrims in the evenings.

Here's a stupid answer: 42.

Rick is of course here the wise jester who gives us the answer to

" The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe & Everything"

(- which is, of course : 42 )

The Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy !!

read the book, watch the film and you will know to

Always Bring a Towel

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rick is of course here the wise jester who gives us the answer to " The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe & everything" (- which is, of course : 42 )

The Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy !! read the book, watch the film and you will know to Always Bring a Towel
And don't panic.

Rick is of course here the wise jester who gives us the answer to
" The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe & everything"
(- which is, of course : 42 )

The Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy !!

read the book, watch the film and you will know to

Always Bring a Towel

I am thinking of buying a restaurant. :eek: Any thoughts?

Bob M

"Well, Bob, I'm opening a boutique."
(At 01:17 and 02:10:
)
Ha ha ha . . . etc. . . . ad lib . . .
Very funny clip.
Hmmm . . . a boutique, you say? Could be a good idea. You could sell trendy towels. The sky is the limit.

Bob M

Thank you to all for your reflections on your experiences of the VdlP. I am gradually remembering the good aspects of my own walk there last fall. I have also been reading @Youren2010 's account of her VdlP. She was four days short of Santiago when I left for the mountains a week ago. My walk north from Banff went both well and not so well. I never made it to Lake Louise, as I had to turn back, the route being closed by the warden's service for the benefit of the bison, who are now wandering around in the northern part of the park. Coming back, I had a couple of very close encounters with a bear. This morning, rushing to catch the bus home, I felt my breath speeding up and knew that I was stronger for the walk, whatever challenging experiences I had faced. I am gradually integrating the same sense of strength to my walk on the VdlP last fall. Whether you are trying "to escape the bulls, pigs and rabid dogs" or the other challenges of the trail, there is always wisdom to be gained. And the beauty and solitude of the VdlP/Sanabres provide a great place to learn it.

And when you are not running from those animals, you are simply bored to death by the terrain in the day and the company of crusty old pilgrims in the evenings.

Ha, ha. Nice try ;-) But I've already met wolves twice and aggressive dogs on one occasion. So that won't deter me......

Take the snoring as a constant, as a premise.. like dogs will bark, given half a chance.
More than once , I have woken up in the night and found the embracing ambience of countless snorers very soothing and a feeling of secureness ensued...
This year I woke up on the VdlP one night ,and noone snored....nobody...!
An announcement was made in the morning and everybody laughed ....

I am told that even I snore... Me !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
20180407_110738.jpg

We did not encounter any aggressive dogs on the VdlP ( btw Seville - Zamora)

Last edited:
Kool, wait till you have us join you for fush and chips with some bears...
How do I make my sentences inflect up and sound like a question...

AHH...

You seek

The ever 'rising intonation'...

If you truly desire, and your heart is pure...

IT... will find you,

Peace (and quiet) be with you.

Buen Camino.

There are no such things as stupid questions, only stupid answers. ;)
Ask anything you want on the forum even if it has been asked many times before.
Thanks for this, Wayfarer, for I am a stupid-question asker. (However, I do bother to search the archives first, then ask away if I don't find anything relative there.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey, if anyone is between Zamora and Astorga in March, I will be happy to have a beer or two with you :) I'll even shout you.
Just be prepared for a Kiwi with a largely Aussie accent and her Aussie bloke with our Aarnpacks.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back