• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stupid question

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would prefer that someone who is ignorant on some issue or subject (NOT stupid, just uniformed or not knowledgeable) ask us. Yes, it would be nice to have a formal FAQ section where the most valuable posts could be placed and organized to provide the best information ONCE.

However, until that is accomplished, we need to channel our helpful pilgrim selves and simply answer the question for the n'th time... at least IMHO...o_O

Personally, I would like to see a FAQ tab with sub-tabs according to subject area. The subject area is based on keywords. So 'rucksack' or 'hiking pole' would be under 'rucksack' or 'hiking pole', not in the catch all 'equipment.'

I do not know how to do it, but I guess I am suggesting a searchable, standardized and alphabetized index. Presently, one must use keywords to find something. But the results are still word searches, and the results are typically all over the place. I find it tedious to wade through results to drill down to find exactly what I am looking for.

This is NOT a criticism of Ivar. I consider it more of a helpful suggestion.

One way to get there might be to FORCE a user making a new post to identify the specific and standard index location(s) where the post is to referenced, NOT merely the key words. I propose this as a mandatory step. If you fail to do it, your post will not take.

This would help in the identification and sorting phase. Ivar might even be able to automate the process.

Also, within the index location, posts would be organized with the most recent FIRST, and in declining date order. I suggest this as subsequent posts on an issue frequently gain in relative value and useful content.

Hope this helps.

I would prefer that someone who is ignorant on some issue or subject (NOT stupid, just uniformed or not knowledgeable) ask us. Yes, it would be nice to have a formal FAQ section where the most valuable posts could be placed and organized to provide the best information ONCE.

However, until that is accomplished, we need to channel our helpful pilgrim selves and simply answer the question for the n'th time... at least IMHO...o_O

Personally, I would like to see a FAQ tab with sub-tabs according to subject area. The subject area is based on keywords. So 'rucksack' or 'hiking pole' would be under 'rucksack' or 'hiking pole', not in the catch all 'equipment.'

I do not know how to do it, but I guess I am suggesting a searchable, standardized and alphabetized index. Presently, one must use keywords to find something. But the results are still word searches, and the results are typically all over the place. I find it tedious to wade through results to drill down to find exactly what I am looking for.

This is NOT a criticism of Ivar. I consider it more of a helpful suggestion.

One way to get there might be to FORCE a user making a new post to identify the specific and standard index location(s) where the post is to referenced, NOT merely the key words. I propose this as a mandatory step. If you fail to do it, your post will not take.

This would help in the identification and sorting phase. Ivar might even be able to automate the process.

Also, within the index location, posts would be organized with the most recent FIRST, and in declining date order. I suggest this as subsequent posts on an issue frequently gain in relative value and useful content.

Hope this helps.

@t2andreo
In my opinion, the forum would lose a lot of members. I cannot be the only member who is relatively incompetent in this type of identification and sorting, and would find it hopelessly boring if I could do it at all. I also resist strongly any suggestions given in caps and bold letters proposing to force me to do something.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I understand your concern, but the current system of being able to post un-sorted material is like tossing litter from a moving car, at least IMHO.

I am equally confident that an easy method can be found. But, in the end, it is not up to me anyway. I will continue to participate regardless of how the Forum is structured...

Besides, that is what the forum is for, open debate and discussion...

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I finished the VdlP in late June this year. With the exception of 2 stages which have been heavily affected by the SPEED TRAIN construction, I found the route to be quite challenging, breathtaking views and at times very difficult. Ask as many questions as you want and we might be able to offer some help
I just want to make an another one :)[/QUOTE

I chose the VdlP as a challenge for some more walking and lesser crowds.
I got both, but also a lot of colder and wetter weather in April this year, than is normally expected on this route.
I planned to break off at Zamorra which I did, and will come back for seconds next year.
It almost broke my back and I was knackered after three weeks and retreated to Avila where I met with even more rain in late April. Avila lies at 1100 metres and even in spite of wool garments got a heavy cold...
- But I will come back rested and refreshed for another beating.

I take the strenuous hardness as a premise, you have no guarantees in this business....

( btw; I also hate the word WHY !! )

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Greetings, we have walked the CF twice and met great people. My husband calls me a fence sniffer as i am always peering over stone fences at crops or gardens. I have had some lovely early morning chats with Spanish gardeners and farmers. We are planning on walking the VdLP February 2020 with a Canadian we met last year. Why VdLP? it reports to be a road less traveled and we are fascinated by the Roman history, our country is barely 150 years of european settlement. We are rural people and have enjoyed the rural parts of Spain. Cities are rather similar and cathedrals are stunning but often make me feel they are monuments to man not God. I wonder at the enforced poverty of the people to provide and build these monuments. My husband points out that faith and a place to worship also provided security and respite. anyway that's another controversial topic.
I hope you enjoy the VdLP and we hear more about your preparation and camino experience.

You will get lots of rural places. Especially in the southern part. What really amazed med was the change in crops. Just outside Seville we (my wife and I) passed though cotton fields soon to be replaced by orange plantations later on lots of olives and oak forests. We walked in late September early October 2015 and had very little rain though we had one day with heavy rain and walked 25 km. with nothing to but wine fields in al four directions.
In case of heat you should be warned about the stage from Castilblanco to Almaden. The stage goes through a park where you cannot be sure the refill your water bottles, so as always bring lots of water. This stage end in a rather steep hill. Several people has died on this stage. There is an alternative 16 km route along the road.

- oh yes, olive trees... plenty of them for days....
I don´t need to see another olive tree in my life...

20180405_095551.jpg

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back