A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Stylish hats anyone? Pics please!

H Richards

Camino(s) past & future
June 2017 Francés
Oct 2017 Incomplete Le Puy / Francés
June/July 2018 Norte
Oct/Nov 2018 Francés
A common theme among certain women I've met on the camino is what a dork I look like in my floppy North Face booney sun hat 🤣! It's been compared (unfavourably) to a child's beach bonnet.

I don't see what's wrong with it, myself. The camino's not a fashion show. But if it was... what would you recommend to wear on your head that's both functional and stylish?

Pics welcomed!!

Last edited:

Bala

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
I wear a baseball-style cap. Not exactly stylish, either, 😉 but it keeps the rain off my glasses and the sun out of my eyes. And I look like a total dork in the sun hat my friend gave me as a Buen Camino gift!

I've only walked in spring and fall, so blistering sun on the back of my neck isn't a problem for me. And I'm fortunate that I tan rather than burn when it is.

Camino Chris

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
View attachment 53872

i picked this up today at decathlon and i don't think it is too hideous!
Very attractive, but may fly off in high wind as I see no chin straps. That's an advantage of a ball style hat with the adjustment in the back to tighten it. It's been my choice every time!

Last edited:

Camino Chris

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I use a ladies, wicking synthetic runners baseball style cap. If wet it dries quickly and stays snug in high wind! I've been very happy with this style on 4, soon to be 5 Caminos!
Screenshot_2019-03-01-16-39-34.jpg

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Camino Portugues, June 2019
I bought a broad brimmed hat but I can't figure out how to wear it without the back of it bumping into my pack. So I always end up with a baseball hat, too.

holhum

Camino(s) past & future
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
I just bought a Northface quick dry cap as I realised all my cotton hats and caps got very sweaty along the forehead. I am hoping it also helps to keep rain off my glasses 😬 If I have to take them off I will probably miss the markers but on the plus side everyone looks so much younger and wrinkle free once my glasses are off, mirror image included 😂

Attachments

Camino Chris

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I just bought a Northface quick dry cap as I realised all my cotton hats and caps got very sweaty along the forehead. I am hoping it also helps to keep rain off my glasses 😬 If I have to take them off I will probably miss the markers but on the plus side everyone looks so much younger and wrinkle free once my glasses are off, mirror image included 😂
Looks like a very good choice imo!

C clearly

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
I always used a visor but that didn't provide much protection for my ears or neck. In 2017 I was forced to use this stylish approach with a red wool buff draped over my head, under the visor. (Only on the camino!)

Last year I found an Outdoor Research hat that didn't look as bad as most hats, was on sale, weighs only 50 g, and came in a size Large:

Camino Chris

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I looked EVERYWHERE for a Goretex ball cap that was not black or hi viz yellow, lightweight, & adjusts small enough to stay on my pinhead (for which buying sunglasses is a nightmare). Plus I wanted one with a logo, not just a solid color. From www.golflocker.com with velcro adjustment strap, navy blue. 👍View attachment 53886
I have a pinhead too, and you are right...it's a nightmare buying sunglasses!

Last edited:

Mugatu

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Finisterre, Muxia (2018)
Camino Frances or Norte (2019 , June 27-Aug 8)
I used a trucker hat this past Frances...it vents well...looks normal-ish...but that’s it.

At the end of it all, my neck had a racing stripe tan/sunburn from the bandana I used to soak and tie around my neck, and my ears were chicharrones.

I’m bringing my Shelta Seahawk hat this time around, and imo... not dorky at all.

Dorpie

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
Problem I found with a cap was that it didn't provide shade where it is most needed on many camino routes ie. the left shoulder and I'm definitely not cool enough to pull off the backwards cap look.

I wear this columbia hat

But if style is your priority it HAS to be a Panama!

NJohn

Camino(s) past & future
(2020)
I also like wearing a baseball-type cap or visor rather than a bigger floppy hat, but worry about sunburned neck and ears. I saw on @trepidatioustraveler ‘s blog about combining the hat with a buff infinity scarf- which can go over the hat to protect neck and ears on sunny days. You can also wet it when you need to cool down.

...but if I could find one, I think a hat like Efren Gonzalez (@summitextreme) would be great!

Last edited:

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
yowsers - now that's yellow!
I like that yellow hat very much. In fact, I always advise pilgrims to wear a brightly colored, preferably neon toned, hat to create contrast against the environment and to allow you to be seen my oncoing drivers when road walking is required.

62Renate63

Camino(s) past & future
First-timer, 25 September-7 November 2018
A common theme among certain women I've met on the camino is what a dork I look like in my floppy North Face booney sun hat 🤣! It's been compared (unfavourably) to a child's beach bonnet.

I don't see what's wrong with it, myself. The camino's not a fashion show. But if it was... what would you recommend to wear on your head that's both functional and stylish?

Pics welcomed!!

62Renate63

Camino(s) past & future
First-timer, 25 September-7 November 2018
I find Tilley hats can't be beat. Here are photos of my "new for Camino 2018" RED Tilley hat. Vented, secret pocket, shades the tops of my ears (unlike baseball style hats), water resistant, floats, ties on, etc. etc. Does NOT hit my pack. Did I mention it is RED? First day on the Camino, I got the nickname Madame Beau Chapeau. :D

Attachments

Camino Chris

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I find Tilley hats can't be beat. Here are photos of my "new for Camino 2018" RED Tilley hat. Vented, secret pocket, shades the tops of my ears (unlike baseball style hats), water resistant, floats, ties on, etc. etc. Does NOT hit my pack. Did I mention it is RED? First day on the Camino, I got the nickname Madame Beau Chapeau. :D
Very nice. My friend I walked on the LePuy with a Tilley hat in tan. They even fold up without wrinkling...I was amazed by that!

Last edited:

Bala

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
I like that yellow hat very much. In fact, I always advise pilgrims to wear a brightly colored, preferably neon toned, hat to create contrast against the environment and to allow you to be seen my oncoing drivers when road walking is required.
It's high viz, with gray reflective stripes along the visor and around the cap. I bought it to stand out when I walk the side roads near my home. Light-weight, quick dry, perfect Camino wear. I love that cap. Wore it every day.

@t2andreo I also bought the high viz yellow "construction worker type" vest you recommended last year on another thread. Talk about looking like a dork! 🤣 I stopped for coffee at a local cafe and another customer actually asked me if I was on a work crew!! But it does the job. Cars definitely see me coming. I took it on the camino but never wore it as I never walked at dawn or dusk...

Bala

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2020)
My husband swears by his Tilley. The only reason I don't have one is because I didn't want to look like twins. 😊 He says it does get hot wearing it, though. But he's also very susceptible to heat.

Maybe if I had a red one... 🤔

Ferenjinan

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy- Auvillar ( 2018 )
Lisbon- Santiago (2019)

St. Jean Pied a Port - Finisterre 2008
As usual, most hats recommended here are 'brand names'. I wear a no-name hemp hat, made in Nepal, it folds and unfolds, and even has a wee tag on the front that has an opening just small enough for the stem of a fresh picked wild flower. Since leaving Le Puy in October, a small sprig of lavender has been there, but I start out in Portugal in 2 weeks, and methinks there will be new wild flowers for that unfashionable old hippie look. On my 70th birthday I was given a clover, so sweet.20180911_110744.jpg

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
It's high viz, with gray reflective stripes along the visor and around the cap. I bought it to stand out when I walk the side roads near my home. Light-weight, quick dry, perfect Camino wear. I love that cap. Wore it every day.

@t2andreo I also bought the high viz yellow "construction worker type" vest you recommended last year on another thread. Talk about looking like a dork! 🤣 I stopped for coffee at a local cafe and another customer actually asked me if I was on a work crew!! But it does the job. Cars definitely see me coming. I took it on the camino but never wore it as I never walked at dawn or dusk...
I much prefer being a live dork to being a dead, or seriously injured, but more stylishly dressed pilgrim. It is also better to have the hat and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Besides, when I am wearing my neon headgear, I may look like an advert for bananas or tropical fruit, but I cannot see the color...it’s on my head...

H Richards

Camino(s) past & future
June 2017 Francés
Oct 2017 Incomplete Le Puy / Francés
June/July 2018 Norte
Oct/Nov 2018 Francés
...but if I could find one, I think a hat like Efren Gonzalez (@summitextreme) would be great!
Yeah I asked Efren where he got his hats from. He said it was the Outback Trading River Guide hat, but it looks like a different one on his earlier camino videos :/

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. Next: Toulouse to Lourdes
00283695-3C9D-4334-97A3-F2CD223733AE.jpeg6D69094F-F78D-463F-891A-70C894C906EF.jpegMy trusted Tilley hat and a Serbian cap bought in an emergency after having rashly sent my hat back home ...
Not sure either of them qualify as stylish though! 😁

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Tom, you can be so funny sometimes... when you decide to divert from your status as a walking encyclopedia!
My goal is to leave you, and everyone I meet smiling, or even laughing at me. That is why I bring a supply of red noses (Walgreen's Red Nose Day) to Santiago every summer.

The kids are entranced, and the adults smile or laugh when I take their photos outside the office. THAT is worth it all. Even if they are laughing at me, it is worth it to give them a happy photo. So many arriving pilgrims are in pain, or otherwise grumpy.

When the kids grab for mine, I reach into the cargo pockets and pull a fresh- cello-wrapped new one out. If the parent approves, I give it to the child....at least 3 years old. This occupies the kids... It's a win-win-win-win.

Life is too short for grumpy...

CatPhillips

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Primitivo (partial) (2017)
Camino Norte (partial) (2017)
I have a Tilley hat, too. Not sure about stylish but I like it a lot. (I replaced the band it came with; tan one for my first Camino and a black on for the one I begin in two weeks.) I’m wearing it in my profile picture. It’s hemp, lightweight, great for sun or rain and has two straps, one for behind your head (think Canadian Mounty) and one chin strap. Most days the straps ride up inside the hat but they’re great for windy days. I wore my Tilley every single day for both Caminos and plan to do so this time.

NJohn

Camino(s) past & future
(2020)
Yeah I asked Efren where he got his hats from. He said it was the Outback Trading River Guide hat, but it looks like a different one on his earlier camino videos :/

True - I like the lighter color of his - these are too dark

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2013, Camino Primitivo 2015
coming up Camino del Norte 2016

Pics welcomed!!
Because I’m Australian I wear an Akubra!

Attachments

TaijiPilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2011), Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2017), Camino Muxia (2017)
Alas, for whatever reason, I have never met a hat that made me appear attractive or fashionable. So on the camino I just wear the cheapest wide-brim hat with chin strap that i can find. And, no, you don't want to see a photo!!!

Morning Waters

Celtic Lass
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugues May 2019
I confess to being a real hat nut. Most are vintage and not suitable for a Camino. So I have a plain white one with broad brim and back flap to protect my ears and neck.... Then I have decorated with vintagish pins. Hoping to give some away to kind strangers and Camino angels.IMG_0026.JPG

peregrina2000

Staff member
Somehow, on the way into or in Guadix, I lost my hat. My dermatologist will kill me if I walk without a hat. So, on the way out of Guadix, in the first town we came to, I went into a little shop and bought a hat for a euro. It served me well all the way into Granada, but my camino friends told me I looked like Minnie Pearl. I don’t think that was a compliment. I bought a proper hat in Granada. I think if you are walking a camino, you have already decided that fashion is not a priority. Keeping your face and your neck covered should be the only goal, IMO.

Attachments

movinmaggie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015) Scotland GGW (2017) Primitivo

Pics welcomed!!
Be yourself....and keep your hat😊

GinaMarie

Camino(s) past & future
2010, 2017
Heregina-hat2019.png's my hat. It's neither warm, practical, or waterproof but it *is* lucky. Mostly I hate wearing hats but somehow this fits my camino persona.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2013, Camino Primitivo 2015
coming up Camino del Norte 2016
I always used a visor but that didn't provide much protection for my ears or neck. In 2017 I was forced to use this stylish approach with a red wool buff draped over my head, under the visor. (Only on the camino!)
View attachment 53884

Last year I found an Outdoor Research hat that didn't look as bad as most hats, was on sale, weighs only 50 g, and came in a size Large:
View attachment 53885
Good colour too👍

PetePie

Camino(s) past & future
Future
Nice hats!
I mainly wore my buff as my hat. The best thing was that I could change the look from the morning as a beanie to a bandana by lunchtime, or what was appropriate depending on the weather. Will most definitely take it again on the next Camino.5414420190331_074922.jpg

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018

Mark B

Camino(s) past & future
CF & Finesterre (4-5/2011); Roncesvalles to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, CdN-Primitivo (2-4/2014).
My husband swears by his Tilley. The only reason I don't have one is because I didn't want to look like twins. 😊 He says it does get hot wearing it, though. But he's also very susceptible to heat.

Maybe if I had a red one... 🤔
I wore a Tilley on my two caminos, and yes, they are hot. Remove the piece of foam in the top of the hat, and that will help quite a bit.

frida1

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 11-May 11 2014
Tilley makes lots of styles of hats, so there's no reason to look like twins. I love my Tilley "Melanie" sunhat. It doesn't have any foam, is made of hemp, looks great and isn't too hot. I can use it for hiking and for city wear.

RumAndChupacabras

Do unto other's as you would have them do unto you
Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019 ~Apr. 2018 Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga~May/June 2016 Portuguese
I wore a Tilley on my two caminos, and yes, they are hot. Remove the piece of foam in the top of the hat, and that will help quite a bit.
THIS! We were just discussing how hot they got. I'll try it. Thanks!

Doreen Ratigan

Camino(s) past & future
St. Francis
Love this HAT! I am ordering it today, and begin my first Camino on April 16th!

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
B Equipment Questions 10
J Equipment Questions 32
E Equipment Questions 3

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.9%