• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suddenly solo on the VdlP

kate0010

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I were planning on walking the Via de la Plata, leaving from Seville on April 27th. He was the one who introduced me to the idea as he has done parts of the route before on his own. We both have been so excited about this massive trip, and I was lucky enough to be between jobs when I planned for it. Unfortunately, we got into an argument that spiraled into a breakup just a few days ago. He said he doesn’t want to walk with me anymore. I could go on about the heartbreak, but I am here to ask for advice. This trip has become such a huge deal to me, and I am afraid I won’t find another time to do this in the foreseeable future. My (ex) boyfriend speaks Spanish, so I had been somewhat hoping to rely on him in the case of any sticky situations.

My questions to you are:
1) Should I still even go on this trip? My friends say yes, though my parents say no.
2) Is it realistic to do as someone who doesn’t speak Spanish? I am obsessively using the Duolinguo app to learn the basics, but I am far from knowing the language.
3) Is it safe for a female in her early 30s to do solo? I have traveled many times before, but never for this long and never totally alone.
4) Anyone else on this forum leaving from Seville around the same timeframe? (4/27 or 4/28)?

Thank you so much for any words of wisdom you can provide.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Camino trail from Seville is fabulous but there are not many walkers as there are on the Camino Frances. If you have the means I may suggest take a train to a location on the Camino Frances and walk that route, maybe Pamplona. You will meet many other walkers and the language barrier is much less. It is also a fabulous route.

1) YES!!

2) YES!!

3) YES and you will meet many people to walk with

4) if you have not walked the Camino before, consider jumping up and walking the Camino Frances. Easier. More pilgrims. More lodging.

Go for it!! You got this!!

In the meantime join the Facebook group Camigas and you may find female walking partners.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
1) YES!!

2) YES!!

3) YES and you will meet many people to walk with

4) if you have not walked the Camino before, consider jumping up and walking the Camino Frances. Easier. More pilgrims. More lodging.

Go for it!! You got this!!

In the meantime join the Facebook group Camigas and you may find female walking partners.

Wonderful post!
Just perfect - and from one with such extensive/intensive experience.

It is not just a coincidence that her first reply was yours!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks everyone, so much. I will consider fhs Camino Frances, though I have to admit my heart has been set on the VdlP. Can a gal with a moderate amount of common sense figure it out on her own?

For sure! Follow the yellow arrows which may be placed just about anywhere - on trees, buildings, sidewalks, road signs, poles, rocks...well you get the idea.

There for sure will be others walking at the end of April, in fact I hear that it is the busiest time on the Plata - just enough but not too many. I've walked it three times but yet to walk it in the Spring. It should be a lovely time to walk.

Buen Camino!

Go .... you will be so glad you did . I walked the VDLP last year starting 13 April and on day 1 met five fantastic people - all singles . We sat at dinner on the first evening saying how lucky we were to have had such a great start to our walk . This good luck continued the whole way . My Spanish is very basic and I had no problems.
I think you know your answer :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Im on vdlp now, and Ive met a few people who started at different locations such as Merida if they did not have time for the whole walk. Personally I am bike touring since I have less time.
You would be fine without Spanish. You'll meet many others. Bring a rain poncho or rain gear, this year it has been wet. Tons of flowers though (deserts do well with rain), and lots of great food and people.

I walked along this route 2 years ago and I would say that 90% of pilgrims have zero or almost zero knowledge of Spanish. I didn’t see that many lone woman walkers but the ones I did meet didn’t seem to have any concerns about safety. Also chances are you’ll meet up other pilgrims in the first few days along the way or in albergues with whom you can walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just caught sight of your thread and must say I salute your approach. Looks like you have what it takes to do as planned. Be sure to keep us posted while you are walking!

Hi Kate
Be brave...and go. This is your chance to have an adventure and start a new chapter in your life. You will be fine, Buen Camino xxx

I walked the VDLP alone just over a year ago. I'm a woman. A bit (quite a lot actually) older than you and I have a little Spanish. It was a beautiful, amazing walk. It was challenging but absolutely doable. I hope you walk and I'm sure you will have an amazing adventure. Buen Camino.

Thanks everyone, so much. I will consider fhs Camino Frances, though I have to admit my heart has been set on the VdlP. Can a gal with a moderate amount of common sense figure it out on her own?
Most definitely Kate. And don’t let your primitive Spanish discourage you. My first Camino was the VdlP and, like you, I had tried to cram up on Duolingo, but then forgot all of it except “gracias” and “donde esta?”, but I got along fine. Everyone was so kind and encouraging. And there are some very memorable albergues.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kate,

Life has set you up with a fantastic opportunity. You are now out of your comfort zone compared to what you expected with your Spanish speaking (ex) boyfriend. And it is when we are outside our normal comfortable existence we have those golden opportunities that allow us to grow, to become and to be that which we are capable of being. We just have to recognize the opportunity and have the courage to jump into the unknown.

Human beings frequently regret in life those things we do not do and rarely regret the things that we do. If it all goes wrong we can simply go home, put a bad situation down to experience and get over it. On the other hand if we back away and never take the opportunity, then we are forever left wondering ‘what if’. Life is too short for ‘what ifs’. Do it, experience it, live it; you will never regret it!!!

And to answer questions 1, 2 & 3 specifically, YES, YES & YES. Re Q4, you will always meet someone on the way. Perhaps someone you are meant to meet.

Aidan

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Travelling alone or with her young daughter, and rarely being able to speak the local language, never discouraged Dervla Murphy from undertaking any of her journeys, and it needn’t stop you either. It’s a wonderful opportunity to restore your confidence in your own capabilities. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey Kate. Maybe you’re now walking solo, but all of the replies to your thread show that you’re definitely not alone. I’ll add my virtual steps to these others walking “with” you. See what comes up and embrace it all - the glorious and fun, the quiet and reflective, the difficult and challenging. This is your Camino. You’ve got it. Right foot, left foot. Repeat. Buen Camino and a big Ultreia!!

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I were planning on walking the Via de la Plata, leaving from Seville on April 27th. He was the one who introduced me to the idea as he has done parts of the route before on his own. We both have been so excited about this massive trip, and I was lucky enough to be between jobs when I planned for it. Unfortunately, we got into an argument that spiraled into a breakup just a few days ago. He said he doesn’t want to walk with me anymore. I could go on about the heartbreak, but I am here to ask for advice. This trip has become such a huge deal to me, and I am afraid I won’t find another time to do this in the foreseeable future. My (ex) boyfriend speaks Spanish, so I had been somewhat hoping to rely on him in the case of any sticky situations.

My questions to you are:
1) Should I still even go on this trip? My friends say yes, though my parents say no.
2) Is it realistic to do as someone who doesn’t speak Spanish? I am obsessively using the Duolinguo app to learn the basics, but I am far from knowing the language.
3) Is it safe for a female in her early 30s to do solo? I have traveled many times before, but never for this long and never totally alone.
4) Anyone else on this forum leaving from Seville around the same timeframe? (4/27 or 4/28)?

So sorry about the relationship. My opinion (can't give advice!) is YES - go for it. I walked it as a solo female, and had the time of my life. You will feel empowered, and you will make good friends, and I'd hazard the opinion you'll have a better time than if you were shackled (sorry, strong word) to a partner. As for Spanish: it will be appreciated if you greet people and can say please and thank you. Otherwise a smile goes a very long way. Buen camino!

I’m no female in her thirties - far from it -but I would walk VdlP solo, and I will do it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What Aidan said...Human beings frequently regret in life those things we do not do and rarely regret the things that we do.

DO IT - whichever path you choose - DO IT :)

Hi everyone,

2) Is it realistic to do as someone who doesn’t speak Spanish?

I knew only a few simple Spanish words when I was on my pilgrimage last April.

My approach was to write down my "requirements: e.g., a restaurant, baño (washroom), albergue address, or name of a hotel" on a sheet of paper in conjunction with my body language, and showed to folks for direction, etc., , I don't need to many Spanish words. This approach worked very well for me.

One day, my plan was walking half of the "stage" and taking bus for the rest. When I reached the town where I was to take the bus and was looking for some who could give me direction to a bus stop. The people I met in the town were seniors and none of them spoke English. Anyhow, I approached one of them and asked "autobus" to "Burgos". He understood what I meant and pointed me to the right direction.

I will employ the same approach for my upcoming Camino Portuguse pilgrimage.

There is nice little language book called "Camino Lingo" it might make you feel more comfortable if you have it in your pocket. I couldn't find my old copy and just ordered a new one from Amazon, it got here in 3 days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with everybody's advice to go ahead and walk the via de la Plata. I walked it three years back as my first Camino, starting the end of March. It was not very busy, but certainly not lonely ( every night at least 10 people in the albergues)I speak some Spanish, but the majority of fellowwalkers did not, they had no problem. It's a lovely route with beautiful cities like Sevilla, Merida, Salamanca, Zamora and Ourense.
I wondered if your ex boyfriend will still be walking in about the same "time and space" , perhaps that might lead to some complications. I wish you a very "Buen Camino"; you will be safe.

Sara Dhooma walked the VDLP starting late January this year. She walked on her own. Here is a link to the 1st of her YouTube videos on that way.
She posted short videos each day of her walk.
They are well worth a look.
She always seems happy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh Kate, do go!.... for every reason posted here... and mostly for YOU. Claude and I will be on the trail a little ahead of you (we leave Apr 22 from Seville) and we wish you a Muy Buen Camino!

Kate,

I certainly would encourage you to go. My experience is that I've seen a number of lone female walkers. On the CF I ran across a young lady who didn't feel safe. She walked with a small group that I had joined for several days and was off on her own again as she felt more secure. You can do that, too!
Perhaps, it would be a good idea to go a shorter route but that's your call.

Buen Camino!

Sara Dhooma walked the VDLP starting late January this year. She walked on her own. Here is a link to the 1st of her YouTube videos on that way.
She posted short videos each day of her walk.
They are well worth a look.
She always seems happy.

Yes Kate, GO! In the last 14 years since the heartbreak of losing someone i loved i have never turned down an opportunity - i told my kids i was "off to follow my dreams, even if they turn into nightmares" though they never have - i've had an amazing, blessed few years and met wonderful people. I'm going to be walking the VdlP solo in September. The video blog by Sara Dhooma has really inspired me :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone,

My questions to you are:

Go for it
On the CF solo now
Tried to learn Spanish - no bueno, everyone has helped me along the way

Hi Kate...sounds like you are already on your Camino. Buen Camino

Kate....like Nike says, JUST DO IT!! If you don't go, you may regret it and ain't nobody got time for that!! Plus, you may not get the chance again for a while. I'm sorry for your heartbreak, but if you reframe it, this is actually the perfect time to go so you can mull everything over.

Buen Camino!!

I did the VDLP alone and i dont speak spanish. It was really great, met many people and no safety problems. It is much nicer than the CF. You must go !!

Hi everyone,

My questions to you are:

I can understand your parent's concern. It might help if they read this forum. I think it will help them realize you will not be all alone in the wilderness. There was a woman this week who could not find her mom. Within 48 hours she was receiving pictures of her and confirmation that others said the had dinner with her. As far as safety, Spain is one of the safest countries in the world. As far as the language-- I suggest you get a Spanish sim card (20 euros) WhatsApp, google translate and google maps. With this combination, you will always be connected. If your parents can't stand it, I or my girlfriend will meet them at the Aeropuerto in Madrid and get them on the right bus or train so they can see that you are alive and well (I live in Madrid). If something happens to you we will do the same for you in reverse.
Lastly, think about the CF. Did I say lastly, sorry just one other thing? It seems to me (and I guess lots of others too) that the Camino could be the best place for finding your balance after a break-up in a relationship.

Buen Camino John

You should go for it!

I walked the Camino Frances in Summer 2016 after some huge changes in my life, to cut a long story short I left an 8yr relationship, my job, home...i had nothing but my last pay check (not a lot of money) and the Camino was the best thing i could have done. I was 28, female and on my own, yes it was scary at first but i never felt unsafe and made some of the best friends i’ve ever had (you wont be alone for long unless you choose to) and had time to reflect on my life (including the heartache). I was feeling very low when i started but it changed my life.

I’m now living in a different city with the love of my life. I owe it to giving myself the chance to walk the Camino in 2016.

You can do it! Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone,

My questions to you are:

I walked the Via de la Plata starting in late April. It is beautiful in the Springtime. There were lots of flowers and baby animals. I wasn't 30. I was probably about 65. And I spoke Duolingo quality Spanish. There was never a problem. The Spanish people as a whole are helpful and friendly. However, if you walk alone, you will spend much of the day in solitary walking. There were maybe five or six people walking in similar stages when I walked. We would meet in the albergues at night, but there were times when I didn't see anyone all day. It was definitely the road less traveled. For me, that is a benefit. But, if you don't relish walking alone, you might join some other folks in the morning or just use your airline tickets, get to Spain and walk one of the other routes. The Frances is well traveled and holds a special place in my heart.

Hi everyone,

My questions to you are:

Hi! The answer is "Yes" to all your questions.

I did the VLDP in April 2016 and encountered many solo women doing the walk. Some rudimentary Spanish will get you by, take one of those little travelers phrase books. There are some excellent Apps that assist with the details of the journey ( walking stages, hostels, etc) .
You will very quickly meet other travelers who are happy to walk with you and share the experience. I predict you will not be walking alone ever, except when you prefer to be alone. On safety, just exercise common sense, it's a very safe walk, if you are out at night in the cities, make sure you are with others.
Don't let the opportunity pass, go for it!
Buen Camino!
Plataman

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
1 GO! (is there an echo in here?)

2 if Ex-boyfriend is also walking same route as you and you see him then smile, wave and let him see what a great time you're having without him.

3 if Ex-boyfriend isn't walking same route as you send him a post card every day so he can see what a great time you're having without him.

4 GO! (there is an echo isn't there?)

Given that I'm a guy the only worry I'd have would be getting sunburn (see avatar) but then there are always hats and umbrellas.

Have a great Camino.

There are only a handfull of pilgrims walk the VDLP every year, and unlike the French way, most of the hopitaleros don't speak good English. If this is your very first camino, the French way would be a better bet. You will be walking with a whole army of pilgrims and you won't have a chance to speak any Spanish.

Hi everyone,

My questions to you are:

You should go for it. You made a plan and you will be happy that you followed through. Best Wishes!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone,

My questions to you are:

Definitely go!! but the VDLP is the road less travelled. Maybe the Frances would be better for you as it is your first time. There are lots of people on the Frances and it is quite social and safe

Hi everyone,

My questions to you are:

Take a few steps back. You broke up with your boyfriend. Go on the camino but not if ex on same.no problem on vdlp if you dont speak spainish. Buen camino

To be honest, you asked a fourm of pilgrims if you should be a pilgrim.
However I agree as well!
You do raise a few good concerns about safety and language but these should not be an issue with some foresight and common sense.
I'll also say my wife wife walked twice alone with very limited Spanish and manged well and very much enjoyed the experience.

Hi everyone,

My questions to you are:

Kate-
Hi everyone,

My questions to you are:

Kate- we are just finishing up the VDLP. My husband speaks Spanish but had he not, we would have been fine. Every town has people who speak English and if you ever have a problem- someone will get you help.
Sometimes things happen for a reason and we have to get up, brush ourselves off and move on. Your gain- his loss. You go girl! After what I’ve learned, I would tell you to go for it!! Best to you!!

My inclination is to go on this Camino - especially after the trauma of a break-up or any of the important life events that touch us profoundly. The best time to walk ! Walked the Via de la Plata last year at this time. Fabulous.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kate, I've only walked the Via de la Plata (fall 2008 and spring 2009) on my own and loved it! As others say, you will meet up with people at the albergues so can choose whether to walk alone or with others, or some combination. I felt safe the entire time. Never felt any draw to the CF because of all the people and prefer the "path less travelled". Go with your heart.

Hola @kate0010 , i too attempted the VDLP as a first camino. It was a tall order. Unlike the Frances there are many stages over 25km with no alternatves. Rather than starting in Sevilla, consider Merida, you will still end up walking 700+ km & see most of the highlights of this camino. Buen Camino!

€46,-
Don’t let the language barrier scare you. I’m single and have lived the past 6 years in countries without knowing the languages. There are many ways to communicate without perfect language. Buen Camino!

Yes, Kate, you can!!! One thing you will learn if you stick with this forum is that many people are very wedded to certain caminos - others do as many of them as they can. Having done only the Portuguese, I can't imagine wanting to do the more crowded CF, but there are hundreds on this forum who absolutely love it.
From what I've read, CF is hugely crowded compared to almost all the other caminos - the early morning races to reach the next stage in time to find a bed, the albergues with 100's of beds - those aren't things you'll encounter as much on the other caminos. I may be projecting, but it sounds like you're at a point where some quiet would be more welcome than a big crowd.
I hiked alone, at twice your age, and it was truly "alone" in quotes, as many have said. There were probably 4-5 hours in the whole camino I was actually hiking all by myself. You meet people. It will be fine. Go for it!!
Buen camino!!

Hi everyone,

My questions to you are:

You can do this Kate!
It will give you the chance to see yourself as an independent, courageous, healthy woman....that you already are...I’m sure.
I did an 800 mile solo bike trip when I was 61...after the breakup of a 36 year marriage.
Best 12 days of my life....I found me!
Go...now...be you!

Along with EVERYONE else that has commented here Kate: Yes, Yes and YES.

I would say:
  • Get a sim card in Seville. If you get an Orange one you can top it up here. If you get another brand you can top up via www.recharge.com. Then you can use your data with an App or even possibly book ahead for the Albergues that offer that service if you are concerned.
  • Make sure you aren't walking at the same time as your ex. Maybe start a day or two behind your planned start date. You don't want anything bringing you down because you will LOVE it for sure and the last thing you want is to be stressed you will run into him.
  • As per the advice of heaps of others - if you are concerned about the lack of walkers on the VDLP just move to the Frances. Lots more people, heaps more services but also less peaceful.
Looking forward to hearing about your Camino. It is a wonderful experience and as Shirley McClain says "Your real Camino starts after your finish" and that is so true. I think about walking every day since I did my first one in 2016.

Buen Camino

Yes, Yes and Yes.
My first Camino was the VdlP last year. I am going back this year to do the Camino Primitivo. I had NO Spanish but have been learning it since.
The first thing I did when I got off the plane was get a SIM card (at the Airport). The guys are just outside Terminal 4 door and they set it all up for me. I caught the train direct to Serville. Stay in an Alburgue because you will meet other Pilgrams doing the VdlP.
I didn't book accommodation ahead - just arrived and found an Alburgue on the day.
There is a great app that has all the accommodation and the Camino trail on it so you can see where you are in relation to the trail. You need to download Maps.me. I didn't know about it until I had been walking over a week. I hope someone on the forum can help you with the details - I am a little techno challenged.
You will have a ball.
Buen Camino

Follow your heart!!! Remember, el Camino will provide whatever you need, when you need it!!!

Buen Camino!!

Just arrived in Merida after walking up the Camino Mozarabe , and the Municipal Albergue is full ,,,,thats 20 beds ,,,so you will never be alone on the vldp

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am late in responding to this. I am hoping you have decided to walk in a week! I am 56 this year, and I look back on my 20's and regret how much time and how many wasted opportunities I lost because of various boyfriends. -- One time, I called my boyfriend in Berlin from Namibia where I had just been offered a job working with a safari, but he says he thinks we should see where our relationship goes. So, I ditch the job and go back to Berlin. Right. I got there a day early and found him with a nice German woman. It turned out he wanted to see me in person to break up with me. So one week later, I'm heartbroken, and sitting in my mother's kitchen back in Annapolis, Md-- Not in Namibia. -- So I say go and walk. If you don't want to run into him,take a different route. ( I suggest you avoid him, then you don't have to wonder/hope/worry, that you'll have to deal with him. And you'll own your Camino. )

You won't be alone. There are many wonderful people who will welcome you and walk with you!

I don't speak Spanish, and what little I know seems to disappear after walking 20 miles, so I write down sentences I need on index cards and keep them in my pocket.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

My questions to you are:

My gut reaction is that you shoud do it Kate. This is for you now. I am double you age and have walked with on my own each time. But in fact you are never alone and I have had the great privilage of walking with many young pilgrims who also srtarted out on their own.
Open you heart to the journey and a sincere Buew Camino. James P

You will have a BETTER Camino walking Solo, than with a partner walker. I think you should most certainly go.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am 63 and walked the Frances last year with my daughter. It was one of the best decisions of my life and my heart yearns to go back constantly...which I will! Life has a way of throwing us these curveballs, doesn’t it? You MUST do it - you will be all the better for it! Have google translate on your phone. I can’t tell you how many times I needed something, would type it in and just show my phone to the person I was talking to if I couldn’t pronounce the words. (Or didn’t want to embarrass myself). Honey, you’ve GOT this!!!!! And when you get back, you’ll be fantasizing about your next Camino!

Well, Kate, where are you now? A rainbow of positivity from so many, pointing you to go find the crock of gold! all the best, and try to post from time to time so we can see how you are doing.

Since I don't know you I would support the Camino de Frances. Do not concern yourself with Espanol The locals and your fellow pilgrims will carry you through (and you will carry them through). If you don"t have the time to do the journey from St Jean to Roncesvilles start in Roncessvilles. The walk to Pamplona is a fairly easy and a good way to break in the body. If your in good shape leave from Pamplona. The climb up the hill of Perdon won"t be a problem. The climb down will be an adventure. Puenta la Reina awaits. Dinner at the Hotel Biden...treat yourself.
Oh, and when your finished, you can start planning your return and complete the VdIP. As many on this venue will attest "You can fly back to your home anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Hey I'm going solo VdLP too. I arrive in Seville on 29th, but I wanna spend a couple of days there, so I wil start walking on 3rd of may.

Last edited:
Yes. If the reasons for choosing vdlp still holds, other than your partner, I say go for it. Unlike Frances or Norte, vdlp has long stretches without much people or break spots. But, It is easier to walk in terms of trail condition/elevation gains. With a good map/guide and staging, it is not difficult to figure it out. If you get tired of carrying a pack, use the postal service for transport.

€83,-
Hey I'm 51 and I'm going it alone plus exploring Paris pre and Barcelona post Camino! Great opportunity to figure out next steps in your life and explore the world! Don't think that u have to worry to much about language and many common terms u will pick up along the way - as long as u know bathroom - el bano, please - Por Favor, Good - Bueno, and thanks - Gracias (sounds like grassy ass LOL) you will be fine! Oh and they don't pronounce the their j's - sound like h's Translation apps are great these days if you are stuck. Have a Buen Camino!

There are several ladies your age walking solo right now.
@Kanga is starting soon and may have some insight for you.

I would do it if I were you for many reasons. A great place and time to think over what is in your future without a lot of external pressures. Go for it....you won't be in your early 30's for much longer. ;)

€46,-
Hi everyone,

My questions to you are:

Absolutely go it is actually the perfect time for you ... in that the walk will help you with all that is affecting your life, job, relationships family, faith etc. Absolutely today with Google translate you can talk to anyone along the Camino not only Spanish, but all the other people you will meet from other countries. Just download the app on your phone or tablet. Many Females walk alone it is extremely safe. And you are not really alone you'll have your fellow Peregrinos nearby. I'm going next April 2019

I'm sure you'll be more than capable of doing VdLP solo. It's a lovely route and is eminently 'do-able'.
Personally I prefer the less busy / less frantic VdLP to the busier French route.....but that's just me.
You'll almost certainly slot in with walkers of a similar ability to yours.
Don't do long distances until you get into your stride, go with the flow and follow your head.
You'll have a lovely time. Considering what you've just been dealing with, you may well find peace of mind - I certainly did when I was in a similar situation (although I'm a male....but we have feelings too y'know!).
Very best wishes for a splendid Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back