• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suffer the Wrath?

BrienC

Author of Camino Child
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Francés, VDLP, Norte
2022: Portuguese
Rather than highjack an active thread, Highway of horror, I open this new thread and ask a question: What is your favorite Camino book?

Following my Camino, last summer, I read Hape Kerkeling’s, I’m Off Again, and enjoyed it.

During my Camino, I read The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho. Enjoyed it too.

Probably 15 years ago, I read Shirley MacLaine’s, The Camino: A Journey of the Spirit. That book was the beginning of my Camino.

Then I wrote my own book about the Camino, called Su Camino...

In the aforementioned thread, Kerkeling’s book is disparaged as “exaggerated” and inaccurate. He’s a comic and can’t be trusted, etc. MacLaine’s is regularly lambasted on this forum.
These books, and others, are in a category called, “creative non-fiction.” The “agreement” is that the story is real, at least from the writer’s perspective. Sure, it may lean more on creative than non-fiction. But it is for your reading pleasure—or not.

So, what is your favorite Camino book? And why, if you want to share.

Mine? Well, mine of course. Actually it would have to be The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho. Because of the time period: I like to imagine walking the Camino, or most anywhere in the world, before all the conveniences of today.

Cheers,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rather than highjack an active thread, Highway of horror, I open this new thread and ask a question: What is your favorite Camino book?

Following my Camino, last summer, I read Hape Kerkeling’s, I’m Off Again, and enjoyed it.

Probably 15 years ago, I read Shirley MacLaine’s, The Camino: A Journey of the Spirit. That book was the beginning of my Camino.

In the aforementioned thread, Kerkeling’s book is disparaged as “exaggerated” and inaccurate. He’s a comic and can’t be trusted, etc. MacLaine’s is regularly lambasted on this forum.
These books, and others, are in a category called, “creative non-fiction.” The “agreement” is that the story is real, at least from the writer’s perspective. Sure, it may lean more on creative than non-fiction. But it is for your reading pleasure—or not.

Mine? Well, mine of course. Actually it would have to be The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho. Because of the time period: I like to imagine walking the Camino, or most anywhere in the world, before all the conveniences of today.

Cheers,
Writing my own (see Writing my Camino thread!) so very interested in this thread. I have to say I have seldom hated a book as much as I hated Paul Coelho's. I suppose I am not a fan of creative fiction so will avoid Shirley and Hape. Really looking forward to seeing others on this Forum with ideas for other memoire.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On my second Camino I spied the Paulo Coelho book, "The Pilgrimage" on the donativo table at an albergue. A small, unused (and now I know why ;)) paperback version. I thought it would be a perfect read for my journey. I snatched it up. Well, I knocked off 2-3 chapters that afternoon and my thoughts turned to what da ....? What this dude been smoking or dropping when he wrote this rag? Swords? Mystics? It was like The Hobbit meets The Way, ;). I thought it was caca and back it went on the donativo table.
The Shirley MaClaine book I read a couple of chapters of it as well, and umm, nope, that's all I could stand, and then later I saw a YouTube video on this forum of her being interviewed by Oprah about walking the Camino. Yeah, that was odd.
Just can't see reading an embellished account written by a comedian. I'll pass on that one, ha ha.
Haven't read the Jack Hitt book on the Camino, or heard much about it. Probably just more fish stories on the walk.
Seems to me any damn fool can embellish an experience and put it down in print.
Anyway, now that I jumped off that soapbox, my favorite book about the Camino is any of the decent guidebooks out there. That's because they help me make my own experiences rather than reading someone else's.

Last edited by a moderator:
...So, what is your favorite Camino book? And why, if you want to share. Cheers

...My favourite is the Codex Calixtinus and its addenda of 12th century music manuscripts. I first heard of Santiago de Compostela whilst studying medieval music at uni in New Zealand. Europe was still a far off dream and the 12th century a fairytale. We discovered the musical instruments of the 12th century through examining photos of Master Mateo's Pórtico da Gloria (Santiago de Compostela) and other European cathedral sculptures.

When I set off in 2004 along the Camino Francais I carried an English translation of the Codex:book 5 in my pack all the way to Santiago d C. Prior to leaving I immersed myself in the music of the Codex by listening to recordings by Anonymous IV.

Music: 'Miracles of Compostela', Anon IV

Codex Calixtinus Bk 5: English translation
http://www.codexcalixtinusfacsimil.com/2012/07/the-english-version-of-book-v-codex.html

Cheers to you, too!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Haven't read the Jack Hitt book on the Camino, or heard much about it.
Mark! I think you're a bit harsh on Jack.
It details the wander of an earlier time. It has well researched info on various aspects of the Camino, past and current at the time, without being scholarly.
A pretty good read. I read the chapters as they corresponded to my wander along the Frances.
Portions of the book were included, and acknowledged, in the storyline of the film "The Way".
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
My favourite book : 'Field of stars: a story of the road to Santiago' by Susie Tarver. I thought it was delightful and she was my age and it was her first camino so I related to her... I 'googled' her name to see if she had written any more books and sadly discovered she (accidently) died soon afterwards :(.

I quite liked J-C Ruffin's Immortelle Randonnée but...he was endlessly on all the (French ) TV channels and all the radio stations plugging his book ....and he couldn't help exaggerating (or so I thought!). I mean, no-one has to go without washing for days on end on the Camino, nowadays... Even on the Camino del Norte....? I even had French friends asking me after seeing his interviews : "Really? You didn't wash?" :rolleyes:

Tim Moore's Spanish Steps made me laugh out loud! At first I assumed the guy was used to donkeys but no, he didn't have a clue! :D

As for Paulo Coehlo and Shirley McLaine, I'm with Mark Lee! :)

Mark! I think you're a bit harsh on Jack.
It details the wander of an earlier time. It has well researched info on various aspects of the Camino, past and current at the time, without being scholarly.
A pretty good read. I read the chapters as they corresponded to my wander along the Frances.
Portions of the book were included, and acknowledged, in the storyline of the film "The Way".
Regards
Gerard
Yeah, I had heard that his book was an inspiration for the movie. I may be too harsh, and I admit harsh sight unseen. I probably should give the book a chance. Just a bit gun-shy not wanting to read more ripping yarns about the Camino, ha ha.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have to say I have seldom hated a book as much as I hated
I have never "hated" a book I read, ever. And I seldom put down what I have started. If a book finds it way to me and speaks to me, I mean has some sort of visceral attraction, then I read it fully. Sure, I could rate them poor, good, excellent, must read, etc., but never hated (don't even like that word).
When I say I liked Coelho's The Pilgrimage, I must temper that statement a little. I was in such a great frame of mind while walking the Camino Francis last summer, that I may have liked anything;-)
And, the only reason I read Kerkeling's book was because it was one of the few English language books available in the little market on the platform at the Santiago train station as I was waiting for a train to Barcelona. Still, I did enjoy it.

Keep this going, folks. There are so many really good Camino books and I'm learning of so many here in this thread.

Thanks everybody,

Cheers,
--------
My favourite by far is Pilgrim Stories, by Nancy Louise Frey.
Link: http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520217515

I have read the books by Coelho, Tim Moore, Hape Kerkeling and a few with tips etc.
Frey for me is the most interesting.
Bunny

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first Camino book I read was "What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim: A Midlife Misadventure on Spain's Camino de Santiago" by Jane Christmas. My friend (who was planning on walking the camino) couldn't believe that I would want to walk the camino after reading that book. But the author is from Canada, and has the Canadian whine about things, and she had an adventure where lots of things didn't go right. Some people love the book and some hate it. But it gave me the desire to walk.

Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino, by Joyce Rupp. If I recall correctly, the author walked with a Catholic priest, since deceased. The book wasn't too much on the religious side but, as a long-lapsed Catholic hovering around the edges of the church, it touched me on many levels.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When researching for my first Camino I came across the book Horseshoes and Holy
Water
by Mefo Phillips about her journey on the Camino from Canterbury with her sister (also riding) and her husband driving a backup horse box and playing golf along the way. I was interested because I had my own horse at the time and was intrigued by the idea of riding the Camino.

It didn't teach me much about the Camino but it certainly taught me that it would be far easier to travel the Camino on my own two feet.

Last edited:
@BrienC A book perhaps not for the faint-hearted is I left it on the mountain by Kevin Sessums, (2015). It is an honest account of a 'troubled' life, seeking redemption. The author climbs Kilimanjaro and walks the Camino Frances. I loved it - though that sounds a trifle trite. Not everyone will. I met the author briefly on the Camino in 2009. It has taken him a long time to write the book, and the book makes it very clear why.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I enjoyed Hape Kerkeling's book. I read it after I had walked the first time. Several Germans had mentioned the book to me and I had it delivered the day the English translation was published. It's not a documentary. I thought it was quite funny in parts. I enjoyed it. Wouldn't especially look to read it again. Would not think of using it as guide book.

A book I have read twice, several years apart, and enjoyed both times is Spanish Steps:Travels With My Donkey. In USA I think it is called Travels With My Donkey: One Man and his Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago. The author is Tim Moore. He is a humorous travel writer, not a comedian. I loved it both times. Oh @domigee just noticed I am agreeing with you.

Shirley MacLaine: I am not sorry I read it, but it is very odd! I challenged my nephew/walking companion last year to open it on ANY page and find something really strange. The hit rate was about 90%. It would not have made me want to walk.

Coelho. I haven't read it, and do not plan to, and so shouldn't comment. But what I have heard doesn't appeal. But I guess I will read it one day....

Death of a Pilgrim
by David Dickinson - a period detective drama, c1900(?) set on the Le Puy route. Quite interesting for the period detail. For me, very disappointing as a detective novel. It is one of a series. It did not make me want to ready any others....

A Sense of Direction
by Gideon Lewsi-Kraus, rather like I Left it on the Mountain by Kevin Sessums, is a personal/family memoir in which walking the Camino plays a significant part. I enjoyed it.

If I want practical information, I come to this site, or read one of the 'standard' guides or one of the many others recommended here. I don't expect to get details on routes, equipment and packing from novels and jokey memoirs. That works for me!

Last edited:
Death of a Pilgrim by David Dickinson - a period detective drama, c1900(?) set on the Le Puy route.
Hum, I had not considered a work of fiction. Interesting. I'll check it out.

Cheers,

Yeah, I had heard that his book was an inspiration for the movie. I may be too harsh, and I admit harsh sight unseen. I probably should give the book a chance. Just a bit gun-shy not wanting to read more ripping yarns about the Camino, ha ha.
Hi Mark. I agree with you that after reading a couple of those, um, Camino experiences books, Camino guides seem far more compelling and worthwhile. I don't want to come across as too severe or critical, but, I mean, that guy Hape Kerkeling is just not funny at all. Just more trite fish stories about being trapped in locked alcoves and dealing with marriage proposals along the way. Maybe it's the translation. If you are looking for recommendations for Jack Hitt's 'Off The Road' though, it certainly has mine! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess it all depends on what you are in the mood to read, but I found Hitt to be a fabulous storyteller with an extremely interesting perspective and such insightful wit. He definitely knows how to keep your attention. And it is obvious he has a deep sense of the history of the people, places and the path itself! It felt as if he had a time machine to take his readers on trips through the mists!! Ok, not really. Seriously though, I just couldn't but the book down - well, my e-reader.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mark. I agree with you that after reading a couple of those, um, Camino experiences books, Camino guides seem far more compelling and worthwhile. I don't want to come across as too severe or critical, but, I mean, that guy Hape Kerkeling is just not funny at all. Just more trite fish stories about being trapped in locked alcoves and dealing with marriage proposals along the way. Maybe it's the translation. If you are looking for recommendations for Jack Hitt's 'Off The Road' though, it certainly has mine! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess it all depends on what you are in the mood to read, but I found Hitt to be a fabulous storyteller with an extremely interesting perspective and such insightful wit. He definitely knows how to keep your attention. And it is obvious he has a deep sense of the history of the people, places and the path itself! It felt as if he had a time machine to take his readers on trips through the mists!! Ok, not really. Seriously though, I just couldn't but the book down - well, my e-reader.
Yeah, I'll definitely snag a copy and check it out. Maybe carry it on my next Camino; paperback of course.

I've read quite a number of your posts, Mark, and have enjoyed your wisdom, experience and the humour with which you relay it! I think you'll enjoy the book. By the way, have you decided it's not 'too crazy to do it again in 2016?'

Last edited:
I've read quite a number of your posts, Mark, and have enjoyed your wisdom, experience and the humour with which you relay it! I think you'll enjoy the book. By the way, have you decided it's not 'too crazy to do it again in 2016?'
Ha ha, thanks. You are much too kind. Just a guy that doesn't take stuff too seriously.
I'm definitely thinking about it. Even have a half packed backpack sitting on a chair and a new pair of trail runners ready to go. I have a tendency to not plan too far in advance, so if I come across a good deal on round trip tickets I grab them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first Camino book I read was "What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim: A Midlife Misadventure on Spain's Camino de Santiago" by Jane Christmas. My friend (who was planning on walking the camino) couldn't believe that I would want to walk the camino after reading that book. But the author is from Canada, and has the Canadian whine about things, and she had an adventure where lots of things didn't go right. Some people love the book and some hate it. But it gave me the desire to walk.
I read this book and loved it, this prompted me to read Jane Christmas other books. All good.
Chris

Gone for awhile and then back to see so many locked threads! Good Lord - - I hope not to make this thread go pear-shaped...

Anyway, my feeling expressed below stems from the fact that there is plenty of time for me to read "Camino lit" when I can no longer walk it. (And may that day be far off!)

It is likely just my own peculiar nature to not want my experience of the walk colored by what someone else thinks.

The obvious fact has been pointed out in a locked thread that El Camino existed before any of us and will also survive us. It is an objective reality. And, no question, there are those who do not give it the respect it is due. Mainly this is their loss though we onlookers sadly experience collateral damage.

That said, our experience of The Way is completely subjective and personal. (Athough there appears to be a bit of disagreement as to whether there is a "best way" it should be experienced.;) Heck, folks, we cannot even recommend "best" shoes, pack, rain gear etc. The more esoteric "best" might be left alone, IMHO.)

Perhaps I can be forgiven listening to excerpts of Jack Hitts' book that my wife read to me as she tried to understand my limited narrative of my first Camino. Adjusted for period, and well-described weather, I found no exaggeration nor emotional coloring there. What I heard was in reach for my limited experience then and I doubt I would find a wrong note now.

Overall though? I'm with @Mark Lee on this. Give me a guidebook - - or maybe not even that anymore - - and let me explore on my own.

B

completely subjective and personal
Amen. And isn't this true for life as well? I mean if we could understand that one simple premise and not be hypercritical of another's completely subjective and personal view(s), wouldn't we all be happier for it? Not saying that people on this forum are over the top about the best this or that, it just seems people are super sensitive this days.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mine was "Walking the Camino: a Modern Pilgrimage" by Tony Kevin, a self described 'overweight, sedentary 63 year old' Australian (just like me) who walked 1200kms from Granada over 8 weeks. As this is a much less travelled route, he walked mostly alone. Contains a lot of cultural and historical information about Spain as well as comments on the actual route and an understated insight into his inner journey. I listened to it on audiobook through Audible.

Soon after I saw an ad for a supported group walk with Australian singers (own walk in day, meeting to sing at night) which I impulsively booked to join. I've now decided to add 7-10 days walking solo in advance of meeting the group, figuring the best way to 'train' is actually do it. I'll be heading off in early May.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="newgabe, post: 398172, member: 50123"
...Soon after I saw an ad for a supported group walk with Australian singers (own walk in day, meeting to sing at night) which I impulsively booked to join....[/QUOTE]

...sounds like fun!

Last edited:
If you are talking Camino books, I enjoyed Walk In A Relaxed Manner by Joyce Rupp; it was my first of many Camino books.
I have a great fondness of Hape Kerkeling's book because it was given to me by my two Camino friends (family), Sebastian and Sheila, the day we reached Santiago from Muxia (we'd already gotten to Santiago, then walked to Finisterre and Muxia), which also happened to be my birthday. One of those big ones, the 5-0 one. So that book holds more than Hape's story in it for me. :)
If you are talking about books on pilgrimage, I have to say The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce is gobsmackingly amazing.

Well, what a 'coincidence'. Just after I posted, I went to the basement to continue a 'pre travel' task of clearning some boxes of Stuff that my kids have left mouldering over the years. And in a box of my daughters knick knacks was a copy of The Pilgrimage (Coelho). So in the spirit of following a hint when it hits me in the head, that's my reading for the day...

[QUOTE="newgabe, post: 398172, member: 50123"..supported group walk with Australian singers (own walk in day, meeting to sing at night) ....
...sounds like fun![/QUOTE]
Indeed, lovingkindness, I am going to be, for at least part of the walk , one of those occasionally maligned 'touragrinos'. I'm so soft I'm even taking my own pillow. Seriously! I did 12 months backpacking across many countries a few years ago and that saved my sleep/neck/body
And thanks for the great reading suggestions, people. I will likely read these after I walk... I am trying to not overthink/prepare :)

Tim Moore's Spanish Steps made me laugh out loud! At first I assumed the guy was used to donkeys but no, he didn't have a clue! :D

Me too! When I first decided that I had to walk the camino my husband gave me this book to show me how crazy I was... he thought it would put me off. Instead I read it and reread it and loved every second of his journey... I think I may need to re-read it now!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
gobsmackingly amazing.
Gobsmackingly. I like that.

Well, what a 'coincidence'. Just after I posted, I went to the basement to continue a 'pre travel' task of clearning some boxes of Stuff that my kids have left mouldering over the years. And in a box of my daughters knick knacks was a copy of The Pilgrimage (Coelho). So in the spirit of following a hint when it hits me in the head, that's my reading for the day...
Synchronicity. Awesome!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Cheers,

Cheers,

Paulo Coelho - the first Tourigrino? Discuss . . .

Jane Christmas whines in all her books but I find them quite enjoyable.

Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino, by Joyce Rupp. If I recall correctly, the author walked with a Catholic priest, since deceased. The book wasn't too much on the religious side but, as a long-lapsed Catholic hovering around the edges of the church, it touched me on many levels.

Walk in a Relaxed Manner is probably the book I've enjoyed the most. I did just finish reading "In Movement There is Peace" and it was pretty good as well. Never having walked the CF I can't comment on the accuracy of any of them though.

My favorite is just a chapter---the last 100 pages of James Michener's Iberia, written in 1968, is devoted to the Camino. It is a treasure trove of information and history.

Paulo Coelho - the first Tourigrino? Discuss . . .
It just came across to me as over-dramatic, fiction fantasy type literature. I'm sure there were standard, overly used metaphors in the book somewhere, and maybe some dime store attempts at deep philosophical thought, but I just couldn't get past around chapter three.

The first I read was by an Australian author Paula Constant's "Slow Journey South" during which she walked 5000km, including the Camino Frances. This was followed a few years later by "The Year we Seized the Day" by two Australian authors Elizabeth Best and Colin Bowles and the Jack Hitt's "Off the Road". I enjoyed all three. Didn't read any others specific to the Camino for a few years.
Since deciding a couple of years to walk the Camino this year I've read a lot more many good, some "out there" like Shirley McLaine, and others so so.
I've also enjoyed reading a lot of blogs mentioned on the forum and these are more realistic in terms of what I can expect when I start in September.

Jane Christmas whines in all her books but I find them quite enjoyable.

Walk in a Relaxed Manner is probably the book I've enjoyed the most. I did just finish reading "In Movement There is Peace" and it was pretty good as well. Never having walked the CF I can't comment on the accuracy of any of them though.

I just ordered the book "In Movement There is Peace" on Friday. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I really liked Spanish Steps also published as Travels with My Donkey -one man and his ass on the road to Santiago, by Tim Moore. It also convinced me that walking alone and carrying a minimal pack is easier than travelling with an animal.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.