A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Sufi Trail

O Peracha

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago (2014)
Annapurna Base, Nepal (2014)
GR 5 - Holland to Pompey, France (2015)
Lisbon to Finesterre (2016)
Has anyone here walked the Sufi Trail (Istanbul to Konya, Turkey) - all or any portion? I've already reviewed the sufitrail website. Looking for first hand experience. Thanks.

timr

Camino(s) past & future
Several and counting...
I'm also very interested to know as I heard about it only last week. It would bring me from Istanbul towards Cyprus which is what I need!! I thought the website looked quite encouraging.

O Peracha

Camino(s) past & future
I'm a fan of Rumi's and would really like to do this walk. I've checked out the website also. There is a Canadian person who did it solo, finishing in Oct or Nov. She has written about her experience but it is more of a stream of consciousness exercise. I was looking for more practical information. For example, I don't want to camp but don't mind walking long distances - 40-50 km a day. Is this feasible or is the distance between accommodations greater than 50 km? Also, how current are their guidebooks regarding accommodations?

Anyway, I have reached out to one of the contacts (Iris) listed on the website. I'll come back and post here once I hear back from her.

timr

Camino(s) past & future
Several and counting...
I'm a fan of Rumi's and would really like to do this walk. I've checked out the website also. There is a Canadian person who did it solo, finishing in Oct or Nov. She has written about her experience but it is more of a stream of consciousness exercise. I was looking for more practical information. For example, I don't want to camp but don't mind walking long distances - 40-50 km a day. Is this feasible or is the distance between accommodations greater than 50 km? Also, how current are their guidebooks regarding accommodations?

Anyway, I have reached out to one of the contacts (Iris) listed on the website. I'll come back and post here once I hear back from her.
Thanks
I am also trying to avoid camping so equally interested on that front
I got from Canterbury to Brindisi without a tent and hope tocontinue in same fashion!

Last edited:

O Peracha

Camino(s) past & future
Iris (the contact from the Sufi Trail website said that she was confident that we would not need to camp. I would have have been more comfortable with data. But I think the way it works is that in villages without hotels/pensions, etc. you contact what is the equivalent of the mayor, tell him/her what you're doing and something can always be arranged, perhaps in a private home. You can also contact Iris while you're walking and she will try to help, also. So, leap of faith :). Besides, what's the worst that happens. You stop and play tourist in Turkey?

Reference:
https://sufitrail.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sufitrail/

Last edited:

Sedat

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007 & 2008
Hi Omar, The Sufi Trail guidebooks are accurate and the GPX/KML files are up to date. There is a place to sleep in any case in distances less than 50 kilometers but almost every village in Turkey has village guestrooms for travelling guests. I am co-author of the Sufi Trail guidebooks. We are just back from a winterhike on the Sufi Trail to test the trail on cold conditions.
With Suif Trail passport and guidebooks you will find your way smoothly. Iris Bezuijen is the other author of the guidebooks and together we provide whatsapp support on distance.
We hope to see you pilgrims on the Sufi Trail.
Bon camino,

Sedat

Attachments

O Peracha

Camino(s) past & future
Appreciate the response, Sedat. The reasons for my concern with lack of lodging was because of information on this site - http://cultureroutesinturkey.com/sufi-trail/accommodation-sufi-trail/. It lists accommodations by day and there are missing days which I assumed meant that there was nothing available. I am very intrigued and this trail is definitely a contender for this year's walk.

Thanks, again.

Sedat

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007 & 2008
I understand Omar. Culture Routes Website gives only a brief information about each of the member routes in Turkey. Sufi Trail guidebooks gives full information. We have also PDF updates of the contacts and accommodation. We normally reply within a day to questions from pilgrims. (we mean mostly Iris)

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 133 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 205 24.0%