• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggested rain gear for August/September camino

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I have this Mountain Hardwear Ghost Lite jackethttp://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-ghost-lite-jacket-womens that is water resistant, but I know that it won't help me in a real downpour. I think that I'd like to use an umbrella attached to my pack, both for rain and sun protection. I will also have a pack cover. Should I also get some kind of rain poncho? I'm not sure what the temps will be like at that time of year. I don't want to be walking in a sauna!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The beauty of a poncho - and when I say poncho I don't mean those flimsy carrier bag plasticky ones that flap in the wind, but rain coats with space for backpacks, like the Altus, Ferrino, Packa, Snugpak etc - is that it does the job of the pack cover, rain coat and depending on the length, the rain trousers too. And best of all, you can put them on in a fraction of the time and with a lot less fuss! This forum is full of info on the so-called ponchos, have a little look and see if that is something you would want to use.

Edit to add: Not sure how helpful an umbrella would be in a Galician rainstorm with lots of wind. I think there is a thread on that too somewhere.

Last edited:
There is a lot of info on poncho versus jacket and rain pants, here is my view on them both.

I started off with a poncho and although it came down below my knees I wore rain pants as well. I have to say at this point that I only had 4 days of rain on my Sept/Oct CF, 3 days continuous and a single day before arriving in SDC.

The poncho for me was adequate and had specific room for the backpack, it went over the head, there were occasions when I would have to ask someone to pull it over the backpack, it didn't always want to play the game. I guess if you had the type that does up the from then this wouldn't be a problem.
The one I bought was a Trekmate and I felt the quality was really good and it kept me dry from the rain. The problem I had (and so many have commented on this in the past) is condensation, I was soaked from the skin out, not very comfortable.

My wife joined me in Sarria and brought me out a Gore-tex rain jacket, it's made by Berghaus and is called the Packlite. I wouldn't be without this now, it also doubles up as another layer in the cold mornings.
Now I know everyone is different, but I wouldn't go back to a poncho again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think that I'd like to use an umbrella attached to my pack, both for rain and sun protection. I will also have a pack cover. Should I also get some kind of rain poncho?
Pick one! Take what you WILL use, not what you might use. There are umbrella advocates, and I confess to taking one once, but they don't work with trekking poles, and the ones on your pack will not work in any kind of wind.

August and September will have some incredibly hot days, so you won't need anything for cold weather. If it is cool, just add layers of things you already have.

An overcoat-like poncho does everything, and it can be draped over your pack when the rain is stop-and-start.

Buen camino.

Just a little tip for the poncho users: If you have problems getting it over the pack, then when you take your pack off to get hold of the poncho, put the poncho on first without sticking your arms out, and then lift the pack under it and put it on. I have room to do this in my Altus and my Helsport ponchos, but then my pack is quite small, 30L. It might help some pilgrims travelling alone.

I have this Mountain Hardwear Ghost Lite jackethttp://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-ghost-lite-jacket-womens that is water resistant, but I know that it won't help me in a real downpour. I think that I'd like to use an umbrella attached to my pack, both for rain and sun protection. I will also have a pack cover. Should I also get some kind of rain poncho? I'm not sure what the temps will be like at that time of year. I don't want to be walking in a sauna!
check out "my packa" its a wonderful man in virginia who makes a raincoat that fits over your pack..light weight it was the best thing i brought on my camino sept-oct 7th...37 days-4 days of sideways rain

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
check out "my packa" its a wonderful man in virginia who makes a raincoat that fits over your pack..light weight it was the best thing i brought on my camino sept-oct 7th...37 days-4 days of sideways rain
I have looked at the Packa. It sure is expensive!
I'd like to get an Altus. Has anyone reserved and purchased one at this store http://www.boutique-du-pelerin.com/en/ St Jean Pied de Port? Looks like it might be a good option.

I'm bringing a very thin rain proof jacket and I do layer for cold weather and a very light poncho from Seaworld (for those who hates Seaworld, i just found this one in one of my backpacking trip) if they rip they'll go to the trash. I'll get another along the Camino. I know I'm not bringing them back, regardless. Ponchos to me are "just in case gear" that will go over my rain jacket and rain pants, if I need to. I get warm easily so most likely I'll stick with my rain jacket and use the cheap poncho as a picnic mat.

I'm bringing a very thin rain proof jacket and I do layer for cold weather and a very light poncho from Seaworld (for those who hates Seaworld, i just found this one in one of my backpacking trip) if they rip they'll go to the trash. I'll get another along the Camino. I know I'm not bringing them back, regardless. Ponchos to me are "just in case gear" that will go over my rain jacket and rain pants, if I need to. I get warm easily so most likely I'll stick with my rain jacket and use the cheap poncho as a picnic mat.
Hmm, I do have a bright yellow Disney World poncho. :p

I contacted the store I mentioned above, and already heard back from them. The Altus is €54.90. Much cheaper than the Packa!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hmm, I do have a bright yellow Disney World poncho. :p

I contacted the store I mentioned above, and already heard back from them. The Altus is €54.90. Much cheaper than the Packa!
Yup yup, same material, just to keep you dry from water rides. Bring it along and put smiles on tired Pilgrim's faces.
BTW make sure you check out return policies from the stores you buy your gear from.

Should I also get some kind of rain poncho? I'm not sure what the temps will be like at that time of year. I don't want to be walking in a sauna!
Poncho would be the best option. I had one of those Atlus poncho with sleeves and was soaked within minutes. On my 2nd camino I walked the entire Norte with a sleeveless Tarp poncho. Very light, goes over your pack and have enough room to keep your hands inside and use the trekking poles while raining. Very practical. You don't even have to use the pack cover. Best ventilation. Sea to summit still make these....
tarp.jpg

If you ever try to put on a pancho over your backpack on a windy day you may do once and never again, my umbrella its like amex never leave home without rain or shine, I never get overheated it has work great for me on many hikes and two caminos :)

zzotte

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you ever try to put on a pancho over your backpack on a windy day you may do once and never again, my umbrella its like amex never leave home without rain or shine, I never get overheated it has work great for me on many hikes and two caminos :)

zzotte
What kind of umbrella do you use? Do you also wear a rain coat and/or pants?

I got in touch with this seller last year before walking the Camino and he was very helpful. We exchanged emails and in the end I settled for a Ferrino poncho - it has sleeves and is a good length so keeps trousers relatively dry. I was able to reserve by email and paid when I picked it up. Great service and very Helpful, friendly owner.

Hi Trecile, I use a very light e-vent rain coat no poncho (I hate them) and no pack cover I use a trash compactor bag inside the pack to keep things dry but you could use a pack cover they come in handy by not placing the pack directly in the floor and my handsfree full size umbrella the brand is EuroSchirm sold by Eberhart Goebel I use the one with a silver coating for sun reflection and has a longer handle its great I had two in over five years I beat then up bad the last one :)

zzotte

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you ever try to put on a pancho over your backpack on a windy day you may do once and never again

Funny, for my Sea to Summit tarp poncho I thought that windy days were much the easiest--face into the wind and it would carry the back part out over the pack where it usually stuck.

nidarosa's tip wouldn't have helped me much since I never took my pack off to put it on--if the weather was at all iffish it was in my macabi pocket, but it's a great suggestion for those who do.

I took a fairly expensive GoreTex rainjacket ( Haglöfs LIM jacket) on my first trip and experienced that due to the straps of the rucksack was leaving no air between the fabric and my clothes, I was creating too much condensation and that drove me nuts. By buying spaciously, the fabric folded and felt totally clammy....I now have a fairly average, but perfect fitting bicycle jacket (Endura Luminite) with a good water resistance index, using it year round, and I always bring a cheap poncho handy, if push come to shove. A fair wind pushing in on you for hours, rain will get through everything, zips, vents, everything. Bycycle jackets are designed for the movement and somehow are more suited, I find. Incidentally both jackets weighed the same, a mere 500 grams, aprox.

Pudgy, I guess I get all fluster :) when it's windy and rain starts by the time got the darn thing on I was soaked :( now in two seconds my umbrella it's open and if it's warm I don't even zip the jacket up it works for me :)

zzotte

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd like to get an Altus. Has anyone reserved and purchased one at this store http://www.boutique-du-pelerin.com/en/ St Jean Pied de Port? Looks like it might be a good option.
@trecile you could also try this place in Pamplona for an Altus. http://caminoteca.com/en/products/content/2-ponchos-raincoats/ I have one and it’s been on many caminos. I cut the bottom off it before the last one (it was too long and stuck to my legs) and I like it better now. I wear shorts most of the time so now I just get wet legs and occasionally socks ;) At that time of year I doubt you’ll need waterproof trousers. Lots of weight for a ‘might need’
Have fun.

I have a trekking umbrella (very strong and if it blows inside out it flicks back without damage) that I attach handsfree to my hip belt and the shoulder strap of my pack. It has proved very useful on the Camino del Norte (May) and the Camino Frances (September), not just for rain but also sun. Would not go without it now. I've tried all kinds of combinations of raingear; jackets and rain pants, tarp ponchos, other types of ponchos, and the Altus poncho. So far the best has been the Altus, but it is still not perfect. It would be better if made from breathable fabric, with pit zips and a two way front opening (it only has a one way front opening).

The Packa would not work for me; too tight and too short.

If the day is warm and it rains I prefer to get a bit wet from rain rather than sweat.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have found it to be a good value, though. The underarm zippers are the most effective moisture vents I have found on any rainwear. As they note on their website, the size differences are for the size of the pack, not the size of the poncho. The size can be a bit tight for an Aarn pack with balance pockets, and for the portly! :)

I have found it to be a good value, though. The underarm zippers are the most effective moisture vents I have found on any rainwear. As they note on their website, the size differences are for the size of the pack, not the size of the poncho. The size can be a bit tight for an Aarn pack with balance pockets, and for the portly! :)
it is well worth the price, you can even use it as just a pack cover with your arms free...best piece of equipment i brought with me.

Can you buy the Packa in Australia or only online from the US?
We have just been advised that our S2S ponchos (the new non tarp variant) that we have had on order since January won't be arriving in Oz until June.
We are running out of time (leave in 3 weeks).
Thanks
Carol

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can you buy the Packa in Australia or only online from the US?
We have just been advised that our S2S ponchos (the new non tarp variant) that we have had on order since January won't be arriving in Oz until June.
We are running out of time (leave in 3 weeks).
Thanks
Carol
Will you be starting in St Jean? You can reserve an Altus at the store there: http://www.boutique-du-pelerin.com/en/

Poncho would be the best option. I had one of those Atlus poncho with sleeves and was soaked within minutes. On my 2nd camino I walked the entire Norte with a sleeveless Tarp poncho. Very light, goes over your pack and have enough room to keep your hands inside and use the trekking poles while raining. Very practical. You don't even have to use the pack cover. Best ventilation. Sea to summit still make these....
View attachment 24642
IMG_0967.JPG
this is my "packa" best thing for sideways rain

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.