• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestion for a monument

Aurigny

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés; Português Central; Português Interior; Primitivo; Português da Costa; Invierno; Gebennensis
I don't know whether this has been raised here in the past. It occurred to me, though, that something I'd very much like to see is a monument, or memorial, to those pilgrims who started out for SdC but for one reason or another never made it. A mercifully small number, as we know, die on the trail, and most of those seem to be commemorated in one way or another. But there are very many others who cannot continue especially for medical reasons. I saw a lot of them on the Francés last year, where—on the later stages especially, to my surprise—people were going down around me left and right. Outside Gonzar, where I was nearly crippled by a bad tendon that reduced my speed for much of the day to around 2 kmh, I greatly feared that I was about to join their number.

I had the occasion to speak with some at the night-stops, and they were taking it very hard. They felt like failures, by and large, and also seemed to experience a kind of guilt that they could no longer take a part in sharing the physical hardships of their friends who were continuing on.

In my own view, a huge amount of good fortune factors into getting to finish one of these things. I've been very lucky, twice. But I'm no tougher or better than innumerable pilgrims who started off with high hopes and to whom the gift of completion was, through no fault of their own, withheld.

If no permanent marker to pay tribute to them exists, it ought to. And if anybody has any good ideas about getting one and wishes to set the wheels in motion, I'm good for the first hundred euro to kick-start the fundraising effort.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A monument for pilgrims who almost made it to Santiago and are still alive and simply have to try again when healthy or better prepared?
I don't know man, I mean the Camino really ain't life or death. You can simply go home anytime you want.
No doubt better causes for fundraising efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you thinking of something that might help pilgrims keep walking like planting a shade tree or repairing one of the broken fountains along the Way or installing a bench or a picnic table?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Something like a fountain would be highly appropriate, I think. But the precise form isn't as important as to have some tangible acknowledgment of those who were out there, but didn't enjoy the good luck that would have enabled them to complete the journey.

Not life and death, I agree. Still, I thought it would be a nice thing to do.

I don't know whether this has been raised here in the past. It occurred to me, though, that something I'd very much like to see is a monument, or memorial, to those pilgrims who started out for SdC but for one reason or another never made it. A mercifully small number, as we know, die on the trail, and most of those seem to be commemorated in one way or another. But there are very many others who cannot continue especially for medical reasons. I saw a lot of them on the Francés last year, where—on the later stages especially, to my surprise—people were going down around me left and right. Outside Gonzar, where I was nearly crippled by a bad tendon that reduced my speed for much of the day to around 2 kmh, I greatly feared that I was about to join their number.

I had the occasion to speak with some at the night-stops, and they were taking it very hard. They felt like failures, by and large, and also seemed to experience a kind of guilt that they could no longer take a part in sharing the physical hardships of their friends who were continuing on.

In my own view, a huge amount of good fortune factors into getting to finish one of these things. I've been very lucky, twice. But I'm no tougher or better than innumerable pilgrims who started off with high hopes and to whom the gift of completion was, through no fault of their own, withheld.

If no permanent marker to pay tribute to them exists, it ought to. And if anybody has any good ideas about getting one and wishes to set the wheels in motion, I'm good for the first hundred euro to kick-start the fundraising effort.

Nice thought, but too many have travailed through with injury and pain and completed the journey to honor those who gave up, regardless of reason. I think a kind word of encouragement goes further and is all that is required. I could write a litany of the things my wife and I overcame throughout the journey from health issues to injury to complete our journey. We will be doing it again this fall (2017) and we're in our mid to upper 60's which is nothing special for there are many older and with more challenging issues than us doing it. On two separate occasions we passed two fathers in two different locations along the Way guiding their blind child along the trail , one by a stick the other by tether. We saw them later those days in the municipal alburgues we stayed in. We ceased our grumbling immediately upon seeing them and felt foolish for any complaint of ours.

Your heart is definitely in the right place though !!!

Last edited:

I kind of like the idea although I'm not really sure what would that monument really mean to pilgrims that had to stop their pilgrimage location wise. In 2009 I was one of them and I had to finish my Camino in Logrono. Maybe there was someone in Leon? Another one in Astorga? So what would the appropriate location for this monument (a bit exaggerated word perhaps?) be???

Anyway there are some plaques and memorials for pilgrims that passed away while on pilgrimage already. Especially on CF. And also there is on-going process (which I like very much BTW, not that I like pilgrims die of course...) of planting the tree for each dead pilgrim shortly after Astorga (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ee-a-place-for-your-shells.39490/#post-467208).

Have a nice day!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Dear Aurigny,
Your kind heart is wonderful and your thoughtfulness is touching. I agree with some of the thoughts above that have posed some challenges - where would a monument/memorial be placed for pilgrims that are forced to stop long before they have arrived at the end of their journey?

Here is my thought - though the pain of quitting can be quite sharp, it is but an experience along the Way. We may view it as an end, but it is every bit a beginning as much as arriving in Santiago. The Camino remains a teacher, confident, and friend whether we have reached Santiago or not. It is a bit....hmm, shortsighted to focus on the event of quitting. Life goes on, each pilgrim's personal camino goes on regardless if we are on the trail or not.

Some of us walk the trail in many stages while others walk it all in one go. Regardless, they remain pilgrims. Should we feel pain - be from physical discomfort or because we are forced to quit - that pain will teach us if we let it teach us.

I love memorials, monuments, and other reverent places. The world can always use more opportunities to inspire us, uplift us. Should some of us like to create such a place then focus on the reality of pilgrimage rather than the event of reaching a specific destination. I have been on camino for many, many years now. May my last breath be taken as a pilgrim whose heart remains full, whose eyes are still on the horizon, and who still hears the call to the Way.

His peace be with you,

As I walked CF with a friend two years ago, we discussed this very issue of having a memorial erected in memory of us if we passed away along the Camino. We decided that my memorial would have a tap on the side and would dispense a premium beer.

As I walked CF with a friend two years ago, we discussed this very issue of having a memorial erected in memory of us if we passed away along the Camino. We decided that my memorial would have a tap on the side and would dispense a premium beer.
That would be some monument !!!
But before we pass away I think it would be nice to share a beer or two or three among us ;)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've followed the camino forum for a while and I have enjoyed and thrilled to catch more ideas and helpful advices.
However I have not found a simple and fundamental question/answers why the people are taking the camino
and I myself am going to take a full camino walk on April, and I still don't have answer why.

I've followed the camino forum for a while and I have enjoyed and thrilled to catch more ideas and helpful advices.
However I have not found a simple and fundamental question/answers why the people are taking the camino
and I myself am going to take a full camino walk on April, and I still don't have answer why.

"le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
Pascal, Pensées

Hi Aurigny

Your comments are full of heartfelt praise for those who try and sometimes fail and understandably huge treks like this are accompanied by a huge sense of emotion.

But I think it's important to keep this challenge in perspective. Less than one third of the world's population has access to fresh running water yet nearly 270, 000 people every year have the time and finances to take out 40 days of their year to go for a walk! And please, I'm not demeaning anyone who is driven for personal or religious reasons to complete this challenge. But guys, what a privilege to even be on this forum and having the discussion. And, in my case fly half way round the world before I even start.

Why not pick a charity or foundation in Spain. Those doing the Camino could contribute as much or as little as they choose to support those in real need. And perhaps those who don't finish the trek could contribute all or a proportion of the money they would have spent on food and accomodation. That, in my view, would be a real sense of achievement. My (personal) belief is that we all have an obligation to put something back into the community if we are fortunate enough to be able to live a comfortable and non-threatened lifestyle. One of my favourites is Well Wishes Ethiopia. For about $6K you can build a freshwater well that supports a village of 1100 for life! Mortality rates drop, longevity increases, productivity rises and very importantly, the women who spend up to 8 hours per day carting water over many kilometres in 40C conditions can then focus on their families and become productive members of their community. Or it could be as simple as supporting the Spanish Red Cross.

Just a thought but aren't we all so very lucky. T

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

On the topic of memorials,I am due on Camino from Burgos in August and have been asked by friends of the late Pilgrim and much missed Forum member Philip Wren to bring back photos of his memorial tree.I met Philip before my first Camino,we were introduced by one of those friends of his to give me advice about my Journey.Philip turned up laden with armfulls of photos,books,memoribilia and enthusiasm and painted a picture only a total addict could.On telling him of my departure date Philip said that due to commitments and health he was unable to do a full Camino,but would meet me somewhere out there based on his expectation of my speed etc.Alas Philip passed away whilst I was further back ,and I did not hear for several days,so we never met.After I found out I walked in sadness dedicating all I saw and touched to Philips memory ,and feeling his spirit was with me to SDC.I believe his memorial is in Moratinos,but not sure if it is "on the way" .Can anyone out there assist this long winded request ?

On the topic of memorials,I am due on Camino from Burgos in August and have been asked by friends of the late Pilgrim and much missed Forum member Philip Wren to bring back photos of his memorial tree.I met Philip before my first Camino,we were introduced by one of those friends of his to give me advice about my Journey.Philip turned up laden with armfulls of photos,books,memoribilia and enthusiasm and painted a picture only a total addict could.On telling him of my departure date Philip said that due to commitments and health he was unable to do a full Camino,but would meet me somewhere out there based on his expectation of my speed etc.Alas Philip passed away whilst I was further back ,and I did not hear for several days,so we never met.After I found out I walked in sadness dedicating all I saw and touched to Philips memory ,and feeling his spirit was with me to SDC.I believe his memorial is in Moratinos,but not sure if it is "on the way" .Can anyone out there assist this long winded request ?

For more describing the evolution/location of the memorial to Philip Wren please see

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/memorial-for-methodist-pilgrim-phil.18899/

and

http://moratinoslife.blogspot.fr/2014/03/a-tree-for-philip-wren.html?m=1

Philip Wren's presence is greatly missed by his digital family here on the forum.
May he be at peace.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back