• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestion For Avoiding Beg Bugs

Doogman

Time of past OR future Camino
?
There are a lot of smart and experienced people on this Forum, and whenever the topic of bed bugs comes up the advice given is very sound. However, I just came across a suggestion for avoiding bed bugs that I have never heard on this Forum before. It apparently comes from a 14th century French phrasebook for English travellers: "The wise traveller is recommended to send his servant ahead to enquire whether there 'be no fleas, nor bugs, nor other vermin'."*

So there you go. Simply send your servants ahead to check it out. Problem solved. You're welcome!

* This gem of wisdom comes from the book "Pilgrimage" by Jonathan Sumption, the British historian and Supreme Court Judge. This book was recommended by somebody on this Forum about a year or so ago, but unfortunately I cannot remember who that was, so I cannot give them their credit. However, I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in the history of medieval western European pilgrimage.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are a lot of smart and experienced people on this Forum, and whenever the topic of bed bugs comes up the advice given is very sound. However, I just came across a suggestion for avoiding bed bugs that I have never heard on this Forum before. It apparently comes from a 14th century French phrasebook for English travellers: "The wise traveller is recommended to send his servant ahead to enquire whether there 'be no fleas, nor bugs, nor other vermin'."*

So there you go. Simply send your servants ahead to check it out. Problem solved. You're welcome!

* This gem of wisdom comes from the book "Pilgrimage" by Jonathan Sumption, the British historian and Supreme Court Judge. This book was recommended by somebody on this Forum about a year or so ago, but unfortunately I cannot remember who that was, so I cannot give them their credit. However, I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in the history of medieval western European pilgrimage.

Perhaps this earlier forum thread will provide your answer.

Not the same as a servant, but on the AT there is usually a log (spiral notebook etc.) in the shelters where hikers can leave notes for others. Most messages are to friends on the trail letting them know where you are, but there is also info on springs etc. I have also read some messages about people being sick ... flu in a shelter can spread to a group pretty easily. Unfortunately, there are not hospitaleros to clean up after people ... I know ridge runners have disinfected shelters to help out. There is more 2 way traffic that serves to pass information up and down the line.

Now that's what I call a Traditional Pilgrim. I think they may have found the solution to bed bugs, a lighter pack and maybe even personal transport? :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...
My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back