Search 69,459 Camino Questions

suggestion for Lugo to Santiago

cmacgray

Time of past OR future Camino
france and primitivo
What is the best walking route from Lugo to Sanitago? How many days does it take traveling at around 20-25 km per day. Is it really busy the end of September or can we find hotels along the way as we go? Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What is the best walking route from Lugo to Sanitago? How many days does it take traveling at around 20-25 km per day. Is it really busy the end of September or can we find hotels along the way as we go? Thanks
For suggested days, take a look at Eroski and/or Groze sites. As for a route, are there more than one?'

There is no break in the stage between Lugo and San Roman de Rotorta - 2 albergues. Then a short day to Ferreira Casa Rural and albergue. From there you can go via as Seixas to Melide or turn left at the Casa Rural/church and go by a side road to Palas de Rei to join the Francés there. This gives more accomodation options. Our CSJ guide had both alternatives or ask at the albergue/casa rural. Gronze only has the As Seixas option.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can you start at Lugo and still receive compostela in Santiago?
We only have 5 days and wondering if this is feasible.

Lugo is accepted as a start point, but like Ferrol you must have a sello from within Lugo itself. The distance marker as you leave says 101kms.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I was on the Camino Primitivo this August, most people I knew there walked the distance from Lugo to Santiago in 4 days, although there were some that did it in 3 days.

Most people then took this itinerary as it is very doable in kilometers/day:
Lugo - San Roman de Retorta (about 20 km's)
San Roman de Retorta - Melide (about 27 km's)
Melide - O Pedrouzo (about 33 km's)
O Pedrouzo - Santiago (about 20 km's)

This is also the itinerary the Eroski guide proposes. However, if you feel that you can do a little more the first day, you can go to Ponte Ferreira (about 27 km's from Lugo) and enjoy the very good albergue there. From Melide there is tons of accomodation, so don't worry about getting beds as long as you don't get up really late.

There is no break in the stage between Lugo and San Roman de Rotorta - 2 albergues. Then a short day to Ferreira Casa Rural and albergue. From there you can go via as Seixas to Melide or turn left at the Casa Rural/church and go by a side road to Palas de Rei to join the Francés there. This gives more accomodation options. Our CSJ guide had both alternatives or ask at the albergue/casa rural. Gronze only has the As Seixas option.

You can turn to Palas de Rei at several different points between San Roman and Augas Santas, but that will only make you NOT do the Primitivo in its total length. The Primitivo goes through San Roman, Ferreira, Augas Santas, Merlan (As Seixas) and then to Melide crossing the Serra do Careon (a small mountain range). The detour to Palas de Rei is still read about or mentioned in some guides because until a few years ago the Primitivo was not fully marked and some people detoured to Palas in order to join the Frances earlier, which was fully marked. But today the Primitivo is fully marked, and detouring to Palas de Rei will only make you NOT do the full length of the Primitivo.

The only possible choice between two options after Lugo in the Primitivo is the via Romana vs official Camino, between San Roman and Ferreira. Both are ok, although most people today take the via Romana option.

There is another possible detour: somewhere from Lugo to San Roman (or even further, after Ferreira), some people take a detour North to Friol and Sobrado dos Monxes, where they meet the Camino del Norte. Again, that will make you miss part of the Primitivo.

You choose :)

When I was on the Camino Primitivo this August, most people I knew there walked the distance from Lugo to Santiago in 4 days, although there were some that did it in 3 days.

Most people then took this itinerary as it is very doable in kilometers/day:
Lugo - San Roman de Retorta (about 20 km's)
San Roman de Retorta - Melide (about 27 km's)
Melide - O Pedrouzo (about 33 km's)
O Pedrouzo - Santiago (about 20 km's)

This is also the itinerary the Eroski guide proposes. However, if you feel that you can do a little more the first day, you can go to Ponte Ferreira (about 27 km's from Lugo) and enjoy the very good albergue there. From Melide there is tons of accomodation, so don't worry about getting beds as long as you don't get up really late.

Thank you for your comment Gaetan. We remember you! :) You were here just a few days ago... :) All the best and Buen Camino always!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We chose the Palas de Rei route as it was best for me at the time. :)
If staying at the albergue in Ferreira you just need to backtrack to the Ponte Romana and then take the road past the church and keep left then follow the road signs. An 11km day.
This saved us having to carry food for As Seixas, but it is easier now as I believe there is a cafe bar opened

Last edited:
We are walking Norte and the Primitivo, we will meet up with our daughter in Lugo, 2 questions...
1. It appears that walking from Lugo qualifies for Campostela is that confirmed?
2. Are there direct connections from Santiago airport to Lugo?

Regards

Greg & Julie & Emma

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You need to make sure to get a stamp from Lugo itself before you leave the city :) to show that Emma has walked the distance.

@Julie & Greg , I have a questin re. The puppy in your avatar. Where was this pictur taken? Didn't know there were other pups other than in Bilbao.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The other route from Lugo branches off to the right a few minutes (or maybe quite a few minutes - I can't remember how quickly it arrived!) after you've crossed the bridge leaving Lugo. It is very clearly marked and is an attractive option when you're standing there because the yellow camino arrows go UP the hill and the green arrows which mark the alternative route go straight along the flat! Apparently the monastery at Sobrado is great.

The other route from Lugo branches off to the right a few minutes (or maybe quite a few minutes - I can't remember how quickly it arrived!) after you've crossed the bridge leaving Lugo. It is very clearly marked and is an attractive option when you're standing there because the yellow camino arrows go UP the hill and the green arrows which mark the alternative route go straight along the flat! Apparently the monastery at Sobrado is great.
The turn left uphill is just after the church at San Lazaro, which is after the bridge. Sello if the church is open.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Anemone del Camino thanks for the question. It is the Bilbao Pup (Jeff Koons Pup)....but it went on a world tour 20 years ago. The photo is of the Pup outside the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney...we both loved it and hope to catch up with Pup in Bilbao next June.

@Anemone del Camino thanks for the question. It is the Bilboa Pup (Jeff Koons Pup)....but it went on a world tour 20 years ago. The photo is of the Pup outside the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney...we both loved it and hope to catch up with Pup in Bilboa next June.
A pup on tour! I will look it up, it would be wonderful to see it with local flowers. Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back