• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestion of Restaurants/Camino-y places/unmissable things in Santander?

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Hi all

All going well, I'll have 1 and a half day in Santander after I finish my Camino Lebaniego this year. Any suggestions of unmissable things to do there?
I will stop by the cathedral to get credentials before my walk, and plan to visit the Peninsula de Magdalena on my return. I'd appreciate any suggestions of tasty places to eat or nice things to see :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all

All going well, I'll have 1 and a half day in Santander after I finish my Camino Lebaniego this year. Any suggestions of unmissable things to do there?
I will stop by the cathedral to get credentials before my walk, and plan to visit the Peninsula de Magdalena on my return. I'd appreciate any suggestions of tasty places to eat or nice things to see :)

Hi! Anamya,
Take the little ferryboat (ida&vuelta) to Somo (it's part of the Camino Del Norte) for a very enjoyable short ''cruise''. You can have lunch on the beach at Somo.
Enjoy!
Jean-Marc

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You should walk around the Peninsula de la Magdalena A nice big park area, Replicas of Columbus's ships, a huge festival of the children going on when we were there.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

As a big food fan, are there any dishes that are typical from the region that I should try in Santander?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's 2.5km along the Santander waterfront to the nearest beach (and even further to the Magdalena peninsula) so a nice long stretch if you aren't quite ready to stop walking on your rest day - you could even go around further, past the Faro up and westwards, to get a 'wilder' view of the Cantabrian coastline (some Nortegrinos have been choosing this as a more scenic route to get out of Santander). Or, as Canuck suggested, catch the ferry to Somo just across the bay, and grab a nice seafood lunch.

If you're into contemporary art, the new Centro Botin on the waterfront in Santander might have something good on (you can't miss it, a big white space-age structure - here's a link). And if you're into art of the more ancient variety, you could visit "El Castillo" cave in Puente Viesgo, 30 mins from Santander - although this might require a bit more planning (there are a few buses per day with Alsa).

I don't know the last time I've actually had cereal, but this is so rad, I just might have to stop in. Whats the name of the place?
Sorry, I didn't take note of the name, but I'm pretty sure that it was right on the Camino as you walk through Santander.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Interesting article on the Camino Lebaniego where Cantabria are receiving 1.4m euros towards the Camino. Seems it is part of a Euro 64m project across Spain, France and Portugal. Edit due to more...
Hi everybody! What do you think about my plan to the next summer, in 26 days? Is it a good plan? Camino Vadiniense: San Vicente de la Barquera - Cades Cades - Cicera Cicera - Potes Potes -...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back