• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

suggestion where to start from Lisboa

mandywox

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 from St jean to Finisterre and again 2016 Camino Frances from St jean to Finisterre
Planning Portuguses Camino 2017 form Lisboa to Finisterre
Hi There! I am new to the forum and would really like some advice. I have done the Camino Frances twice and loved every minute of it. I am planning to do the Portuguese Camino in Sept 2017 and have 31 days available. I would like to experience the Portuguese culture as much as possible and spent as much time as I can in Portugal, but am not sure if must start in Lisboa or further down like Santarem. I have heard and read varying reports of the stages out of Lisboa and was wondering if anyone can advise a good starting point which will allow for a relaxed Camino ( with the days available), a substantial experience of Portugal with enough rest days in between. It feels to me that the Porto to Santiago stretch will be not ''enough of Portugal"', but maybe I am mistaken? I am a strong walker but dont want to rush this time. Where to start before Porto then is my question? Or do I just stay with the full Lisboa to Santiago route? Thanks so much.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, mandywox, Welcome to the forum! There is a good sized group of forum members who have started in Lisbon. Though there are some naysayers, who didn't like the pre-Porto section, I'd say that most of us really enjoyed that part. Take a look at the guides made by forum members, one for Lisbon to Porto and the other from Porto to Santiago. They are both in the Resources section and there is a lot of good information in them and in several other resources forum members have posted. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/camino-portugues.40/

As of May of last year, there is now a pilgrim albergue in Alpriate, about 20-22 km from the Lisbon cathedral. It is a great first day stop because it gives you time to dawdle as you wind your way through old Lisbon, the old port area, and the new Expo site with its river walk, aquarium, etc etc. With 31 days, you probably have a lot more than you need, but that would give you the chance to take days off for visiting, etc. I think the average from Lisbon to Santiago is probably about 25 days (two weeks to Porto, and 10 or 11 to Santiago).

Take a look at Maggie's Lisbon-Santiago blog, it's very complete. https://magwood.me/camino-portuguese/

Between Lisbon and Porto, there are several nice places where extra time to visit could easily be used (Tomar with its monastery/castle; the Roman ruins at Conímbriga; the University city of Coimbra).

Some of the concerns in the early stages have focused on the asphalt/highway part of the Caminho. The Via Lusitana (the Lisbon pilgrim association, who runs the albergue in Alpriate) has done a lot of work to move the route off-road, and little by little this is happening. There is a definite increase in the number of people starting in Lisbon, so if you plan to start in spring or summer, you are likely to have company along the way.
Bom caminho, happy to help with questions, Laurie

Last year I spent a few days in Lisbon, then Fatima, Tomar, and Porto. I walked the coastal route from Porto to Santiago and would have enjoyed at least one more week walking but very much enjoyed the site seeing before hand too.

Good luck with your decision and Bom Caminho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I set out to walk from Lisbon in September of 2013. After one day I ended up changing plans and taking the train to Tomar and Coimbra and on to Porto where I resumed walking. In 2013, September was hotter than usual, over 100 degrees in Lisbon, Porto was about 15 degrees cooler. Given the distances of the stages I didn't think it wise to walk in the heat since there was little shade to be found.

Thank you so much for all the helpful replies. I bought the 2016 John Brierley guide book and feel a bit more comfortable about setting out from Lisboa. On the previous Caminos I was way too focused on "getting there' and want to have a different approach this year on the Portuguese Camino. As I live by the sea here in Cape town South Africa, I am more interested in the inland route ( although the coastal route looks beautiful I must say) and experiencing the culture , history (not to mention the food!). Last question....previously I was a "will walk every step of the way " peregrina ( and got so much from that expereince), but I want to change this time and be more relaxed. Are the busses/transport easily available between the stages before Porto? Thank you for being so generous with sharing!

Hi, mandywox,
I walked from Lisbon to Porto one year when I was living in Lisboa, and so I did a one day walk with trains out and back all the way to Tomar, I believe. From there to Porto, I would spend two nights away and also take a train home. There are different rail lines that will help you.

First, the commuter line that runs from Lisbon to Azambuja
https://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/Passageiros/1_horarios/horarios/PDF/lx/azambuja_sintra_completo.pdf

Then there are the regional lines, and if you look at the station list across the top you will see that there are some caminho cities with stations.
https://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/Passageiros/horarios/horarios/PDF/ap_ic/ap_ic.pdf

Buses are very frequent as well, you can check schedules on their home page. http://www.rede-expressos.pt/default.aspx

I think you'll find that the transportation infrastructure is quite good, so no worries on that front. Bom caminho, Laurie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back