• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions: 1-week camino with mom and aunt

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Hi everyone!

I've done Cf and CP with my husband, and now I have Norte and Lebaniego on my personal list.

However, talking to my mom, she said she would like to walk the camino with me and one of my aunties. I'm in my late 30s, quite fit, and they are on their 60s, not sedentary, but probably not in shape to go more than 15-20km/day.

They mentioned they would love if I could find a one-week route to Santiago, not too hilly, where they would not worry about accomodation. They are open to albergues, privates, hotels... (I get the sensation a private bathroom would be highly appreciated by them, so we may end up sticking to the private places). They are also not fussy about food, weather or landscape, except for the amentioned hill issue. And they really wanted to have the "camino feelings" - seeing many other pilgrims would probably be more interesting than seeing none other.

Having done CP and CF, I thought Tui-Santiago could be a good option. But I was wondering if I could use the time to go through a new route for myself. Maybe Primitive from Lugo? Ingles? Norte from Vilalba?

Suggestions highly appreciated!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did you consider the Ingles?

Can be done in that time frame. And would get 'Compostela' or 'Certificate.'

Only a few good hills. The one out of Pontedeume is little steep.

Since they changed the route, you will not have to worry about the famous one after Bar Julia.

Many options for places to stay along the route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you consider the Ingles?

I never seriously considered the Ingles before, but would like to do it one day. Do you believe it is a nice option for a first camino, as it will be my mom and aunt's first walk?

Certainly fits in the time frame. What about the "caminoness" of meeting pilgrims, stopping at places and having menu del dia, seeing churches? I believe they would like to feel like they are part of a bigger group, so I would not like to take them to the more solitary routes. How is the Ingles in that aspect?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is it really important that they get to Santiago? I walked with my mom from Pamplona to Burgos, and she absolutely loved it! Nice mix of landscapes and experiences, lots of pilgrims, and definitely that 'camino feeling'. She had such a good time she's since come back for more...

(p.s. last year we walked together for two weeks on the Norte - I personally love the Norte, but my mom felt it lacked that 'camino feeling' she'd experienced on our first trip. The north coast is very popular with Spanish tourists, so the camino experience is much more 'diluted'. We hardly saw another pilgrim during the day).

Is it really important that they get to Santiago?

Yes, they would really like to finish there, hug the saint and attend the mass at the cathedral.
I agree with you there are a lot of amazing stages along the trail, but this time going to SdC would make them really happy :)

Thanks for the comments about the Norte, did you walk the last part of it? Is it good?

How about the Camino de Fisterra. Either from Santiago to Fisterra/Muxía or the other way round (depending on wheter they want to obtain a compostela or any of the other certificates)?

It can be devided in sections of 15-20 km.

Other options are the Portugues from Tui or the Sanabres from Ourense.

BC
Alexandra

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone!

I've done Cf and CP with my husband, and now I have Norte and Lebaniego on my personal list.

However, talking to my mom, she said she would like to walk the camino with me and one of my aunties. I'm in my late 30s, quite fit, and they are on their 60s, not sedentary, but probably not in shape to go more than 15-20km/day.

They mentioned they would love if I could find a one-week route to Santiago, not too hilly, where they would not worry about accomodation. They are open to albergues, privates, hotels... (I get the sensation a private bathroom would be highly appreciated by them, so we may end up sticking to the private places). They are also not fussy about food, weather or landscape, except for the amentioned hill issue. And they really wanted to have the "camino feelings" - seeing many other pilgrims would probably be more interesting than seeing none other.

Having done CP and CF, I thought Tui-Santiago could be a good option. But I was wondering if I could use the time to go through a new route for myself. Maybe Primitive from Lugo? Ingles? Norte from Vilalba?

Suggestions highly appreciated!

Lugo to santiago or last 100 of Norte. You are more experienced than most so called experts and 20km nice walking so go for it

Yes, they would really like to finish there, hug the saint and attend the mass at the cathedral.
I agree with you there are a lot of amazing stages along the trail, but this time going to SdC would make them really happy :)

Thanks for the comments about the Norte, did you walk the last part of it? Is it good?

For the last 100km on the Norte you'd have to start from around Baamonde, and then join up with the Frances at Arzua for the final two stages.

But just so you know, the Norte comprises only 3-4% of total pilgrim numbers, and it can be very quiet at certain times of year. So maybe they'd prefer being part of the action from Sarria? If I were you, I'd save the Norte for a later date when you can enjoy walking for days on end next to the ocean, which is what makes the Norte so special. The last 100km are inland and similar in landscape to many of the other final stages into Santiago.

I walked Norte in april this year tough as rained a lot. The last 100 km very easy and interesting and night in Miraz albergue , easy to break into 20 km days and only 40 km on french way or 20 km × 2 buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back