• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for 10-11 days to walk the Norte route in late S

Glenman

Hello all, my fiancee an I have been talking about holidays. With an upcoming wedding in 2014 and plans to build a house our budget is tight! We are thinking of spending 10 or 11 days walking the Camino Norte. We plan to fly in to Spain on Mon 23rd Sept and depart for Dublin on Sunday 6th Oct. Unfortunately we know very little about the Camino but a friend of mine suggested the Norte route. We plan to begin walking on Tuesday the 24th Sept to Fri/Sat 4th/5th Oct, this will give us about 10 days. We don't want to finish in Sangiago as we want to avoid the busy cities. However we do need to begin and finish close enough to an international airport or at least somewhere where we will have train/bus access to an airport.
Has anyone any suggestion for a start and end point for a 10 day time-frame? Once we sort flights do we need to do much further planning? Would we need to have accommodation organised for every night or would it be easy enough to organise that as we walk, I would imagine that the hostels would not be full at that time of the year?
Thanks in advance :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can you get flights into Santander or Airport of Asturias (between Oviedo/Gijon). If so you could walk from Santander and if you run out of time catch the FEVE (train) either back to Santander or on to Oviedo and then bus to airport.
Buen Camino

You could also start from Aviles, which is about 15km from Asturias airport. The albergues are then usually around 16-24km from each other, there is some asphalt walking but there is options if you decide on doing it, of going along coastal paths to miss these out or in one case taking a higher level (little used cattle trail from soto de luina to cavedeo), places to jump out would be Ribadeo bus and train links to Santiago and A Coruna, Lourenza and Vilalba, the latter 3 with bus links. This is perhaps my favourite part of the camino del norte and you have the quieter entry into Galicia.

I am also thinking of doing 10-12 days later in the year so I am thinking of the other less populated routes. The Camino de Madrid, the people who do it usually go back and do it again so that says a lot about it. The Portugues Coastal Route, the disadvantage would be the large population areas you would keep walking through, at least with the Madrid you can take 20km out of it by getting a train to the outskirts and starting from there. The Camino Vasco, starts in Irun and either finishes in Santo Domingo de la Calzada or Burgos. Another option is starting at Leon and taking the San Salvador Route to Oviedo 5/6/7 days(120Km) through quiet mountain routes with albergues then continuing up to Aviles (30km) and either finishing in Cudillero or Luarca, both incredibly picturesque fishing villages on the Camino del Norte, there are Feve links to Aviles and to Ferrol from both places.

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated :D

Tia: How far between Santander and Aviles? How long would it take to walk it?

Mike: How far between Aviles and Ribadeo? How long would it take to walk it?

Would you need to reserve/book accommodation in the albergues in advance? I would imagine it would not be as busy in late Sept, early Oct.

I have been looking at some flight which would suit us. I have a flight arriving in Pamplona on Monday the 23rd Oct. We plan to get the bus to Irun and begin the Camino on Tuesday morning the 24th Sept. We then plan to arrive in Santander on Saturday evening the 5th Oct and fly home from there on Sunday. That gives us 12 full days to walk from Irun to Santander. Is this plausible? Should we be able to get a Credencial in Irun? Do you need the Credencial to get accommodation in the Albergues?
For this time of the year would we need to book the Albergues in advance or would we be Okay just arriving in the evening with no booking?

Others can answer your question ove time from Irun to Santander, it is not a section we have walked. You can get credenciales in many places, again others will know where in Pamplona/Irun. You do need a credencial to stay in an albergue and you cannot book ahead but check in on arrival. You can of course book private accomodation ahead, which would include private albergues if there are any on this route.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Have a look at this website http://www.caminodesantiago.consumer.es, go on to the camino de norte section.From there there are details of each etapa(stage), details of the albergues within it, details of when they are open from and to within the year, prices, contact details if it is possible to book ahead. There is also a section for getting to Irun from various places in Spain, I dont know if it includes Pamplona. You should be able to get get a credencial from the various albergues around Irun, they know people usually start there, most places along the way will want to see it for you to sleep there, some private albergues will not need it, but they may charge you more ie. the tourist rate rather than the pilgrim rate.

This section of the norte is very busy, a lot of people walk 1 week sections to Bilbao or go for the 2 week option and walk too Santander, it does not get as busy again untill you get into Galicia. August is the busiest month, and I think September can be very busy as well, you should be ok.

Mike

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back