• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

suggestions for 10-12 days along the CF in october & Wisely App question

paddington

Time of past OR future Camino
may (2019)
hi
I am looking for recommendations for a 10-12 day route along the CF that you would suggest for an October 2019 trip.
Are there any dates in October to avoid because of local holidays?
I will be staying in hotels, do I need to pre-book or just book a day or two in advance as I go along.
I recently walked Sarria to Santiago and want to do a different stretch of the CF this October. I don't want to do the first week of the CF (saving that for a trip with some friends).
My preference would be to start and finish in towns with relatively easy public transportation to/from Madrid, but I am open to taking a taxi from my end point back to a location with good transportation back to Madrid and vice versa if the recommended start and stop points are not in a town with great access to Madrid.

random technology question, I used the Wisely App on my last camino and I could not figure out how to get it to show my location on the map like you can on google maps. Is this a user error (my user error!). If not, does anyone have a recommendation for a CF app that shows the route and your location.
thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
October 12 is Spain's National Day, so some hotels might be totally booked based on my experince this past year in Burgos. Note, there was also a sporting event along with the holiday in Burgos that weekend.

I just walked myself back on the Iphone on how to enable location for the Wise Pilgrim apps. In Settings go to Privacy, then Location Services, then Frances and you can choose Never or While using app. It took me awhile to figure this out with the help of my Apple genius daughter.

In addition to the Wisely Pilgrim App, who by the way is a member of this forum, I used an App called Editorial Buen Camino. My experience is that both are excellent with a somewhat different presentation.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hi
I am looking for recommendations for a 10-12 day route along the CF that you would suggest for an October 2019 trip.
Are there any dates in October to avoid because of local holidays?
I will be staying in hotels, do I need to pre-book or just book a day or two in advance as I go along.
I recently walked Sarria to Santiago and want to do a different stretch of the CF this October. I don't want to do the first week of the CF (saving that for a trip with some friends).
My preference would be to start and finish in towns with relatively easy public transportation to/from Madrid, but I am open to taking a taxi from my end point back to a location with good transportation back to Madrid and vice versa if the recommended start and stop points are not in a town with great access to Madrid.

random technology question, I used the Wisely App on my last camino and I could not figure out how to get it to show my location on the map like you can on google maps. Is this a user error (my user error!). If not, does anyone have a recommendation for a CF app that shows the route and your location.
thanks
Two comments, consider starting from Pamplona - stay over and enjoy the town it is very pleasant. Leave out late the next day and stop with the Roncal albergue a short walk a wonderful albergue. Your itinerary would allow for the Eunate church, Puente la Reina and the bridge, Estella the church as you enter, Los Arcos, Logroño and it's tapas bars, Najera and do spend the dime to light up the church there, Santo Domingo de Calzada and the lost chickens, Belrado, San Juan de Ortega enjoy the church but walk on to Agés, then Burgos. Secondly, my opinions against cellular phones has been stated before - I can remember a time when you could find a pilgrim without his/her nose plastered onto a flickering screen - the only good thing I can say concerning their use is that this may help to remove the overbearing number of markings along the Camino - so many and so much that you would have a hard time getting lost even if that was your desire!

Good morning @paddington, @scruffy1 has excellent suggestions. I walked that section of the Frances last fall after walking the Aragones , it was all wonderful, much to see!

The past couple of years I have seen in bars signs saying "No hay Wifi, talk among yourselves". A number of hospitaleros have commented that before pilgrims even ask if there is lodging for the night, they will ask if there is wifi and if there is not, will go to a different albergue. While apps can be useful, you can have a perfectly lovely camino without them. Indeed, last fall when I was lost in the mountains for a short time, it was not my phone but two friendly dogs who showed me the correct path.

Good morning @paddington, @scruffy1 has excellent suggestions. I walked that section of the Frances last fall after walking the Aragones , it was all wonderful, much to see!

The past couple of years I have seen in bars signs saying "No hay Wifi, talk among yourselves". A number of hospitaleros have commented that before pilgrims even ask if there is lodging for the night, they will ask if there is wifi and if there is not, will go to a different albergue. While apps can be useful, you can have a perfectly lovely camino without them. Indeed, last fall when I was lost in the mountains for a short time, it was not my phone but two friendly dogs who showed me the correct path.

thank you both for your replies. I am travelling alone and I am not good with directions, so the phone is just for emergencies and hopefully will stay in my fanny pack the entire trip.
where in texas are you ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
thank you both for your replies. I am travelling alone and I am not good with directions, so the phone is just for emergencies and hopefully will stay in my fanny pack the entire trip.
where in texas are you ?
Funny, I just sent you a PM to ask you the same question! I am in the DFW area. I travel alone also.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back