• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for 10 days

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello,
My Camino pal and I will both be in Europe next year, and have 10 days Camino time we can add in. We have done both Portuguese Coastal and Central and Leon to Santiago in previous years. Credential not important, but ease to get to start and end point is. Looking at 1. Pamplona to Burgos, 2. Burgos to Leon or 3. Spiritual Variant from Pontevedra and then to Muxia/ Finnesterre. Any thoughts or advice?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Depending on where in Europe you will be, perhaps there is a camino that goes by there.

Otherwise, I'd do the 10 days before Leon, to add on what you have already done. Arriving into Leon will be like coming home to a familiar spot and perhaps add some sense of achievement.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Walk the primitivo from Oviedo. Well marked and serviced with a good variety of scenery. Must stay places at Samblisimo and Vilar de cas.

If ease of getting to and from the end points is important, where you are spending the rest of your trip makes a big difference. Do you have a plan for that yet? (I’m thinking why not the Le Puy route in France?)

If ease of getting to and from the end points is important, where you are spending the rest of your trip makes a big difference. Do you have a plan for that yet? (I’m thinking why not the Le Puy route in France?)

The first part of my trip is in Malta, there is one direct flight per week to Santiago, and one most days to Madrid.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pau to Pamplona on the Arles/Aragones would be an interesting option.

I have walked from Burgos for 10 days several times. Burgos is easy to access from Bilbao and depending on the season of the year, it is a very pleasant route to Leon and with a little effort you can possibly reach Astorga; both of those places have good transportation options to move on with your travels. Apologies for biased plug but I am a big fan of Meseta.

Last edited:
The first part of my trip is in Malta, there is one direct flight per week to Santiago, and one most days to Madrid.
I can’t find that Malta-Madrid flight (what airline?) but once you fly Malta-Rome you have lots of options.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello,
My Camino pal and I will both be in Europe next year, and have 10 days Camino time we can add in. We have done both Portuguese Coastal and Central and Leon to Santiago in previous years. Credential not important, but ease to get to start and end point is. Looking at 1. Pamplona to Burgos, 2. Burgos to Leon or 3. Spiritual Variant from Pontevedra and then to Muxia/ Finnesterre. Any thoughts or advice?
Maybe, a little out of the way but I just completed in France, Le Puy to Carjac in 10 days. Picturesque villages, gîtes with dinner, coffee and lunch breaks, interesting walk, not much road walking which is quiet. I think a perfect short Camino

Hello,

Auburnfive:

It depends what you are looking for in your walk. If you liked walking the Frances, then Burgos to Leon would be a good choice. If you are looking for something quieter and different maybe the Vasco (Irun to Santo Domingo de la Calzada) is for you?

So many choices.

Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello,
Absolutely and without a shadow of a doubt you must do Pamplona to Burgos. I did this in 2016 to join up with a friend who was doing the whole Camino and had started in St Jean. My work makes it very difficult for me to get away for more than 7 days but my boss (my wife) gave me a pass for the extra days. It was amazing. Beautiful countryside. Amazing history. Great food. Terrific camaraderie amongst the pelegrinos. P to Puenete la Reina, to Estella, to Sansol (NOT Torres del Rio), to Logrono, to Najera, to Santo Domingo, to Belorado, to Ages and then to Burgos. If you want any hints about albergues or places to eat and drink then just ask.

Absolutely and without a shadow of a doubt you must do Pamplona to Burgos. I did this in 2016 to join up with a friend who was doing the whole Camino and had started in St Jean. My work makes it very difficult for me to get away for more than 7 days but my boss (my wife) gave me a pass for the extra days. It was amazing. Beautiful countryside. Amazing history. Great food. Terrific camaraderie amongst the pelegrinos. P to Puenete la Reina, to Estella, to Sansol (NOT Torres del Rio), to Logrono, to Najera, to Santo Domingo, to Belorado, to Ages and then to Burgos. If you want any hints about albergues or places to eat and drink then just ask.
Thanks, although the Meseta is tempting I’m leaning towards Pamplona to Burgos. I prefer slightly shorter stages 20+/- 3 km, so might squeeze in an extra day. Any spots you would give a miss or definitely stop? Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Spiritual Variant of the Portuguese route is stunning. I could definitely do this section again along with the walk out to Finisterre. Just talking about it yesterday with my walking buddy.

Thanks, although the Meseta is tempting I’m leaning towards Pamplona to Burgos. I prefer slightly shorter stages 20+/- 3 km, so might squeeze in an extra day. Any spots you would give a miss or definitely stop? Thanks
I attach a little note about the places that I stayed between Pamplona and Burgos. I hope that it is useful.

Starting from Pamplona the best place for a night out before you begin the Camino is Calle San Nicolas off Plaza del Castillo. It is just packed with great tapas bars. In Puente La Reina we stayed in the Albergue de Los Padres Reparadores, which was basic but very nice. Really cheap and it has a really nice garden to chill in out the back. We had friends who stayed in Jakue who said that it was pretty good but much more expensive. We ate in the same place for lunch and dinner – Hotel Rural Bidean – lunch was a great priced Peregrino Menu, while the evening meal was very reasonable too.

I really loved Estella where we stayed in the Albergue Parochial San Miguel. It was very basic and a donativo. It is small and is run by volunteer hostaleros, who were fantastic and welcoming. There are a lot of little bars where you can eat a lot of tapas. Nowhere in particular sticks in my mind.

The guides all say that the next stop should be Torres del Rio but we stopped a kilometre short in Sansol where we stayed in the Albergue of that name. It was very good. Comfortable with a very cheap Menu and with a very cheap bar just across the plaza, which is literally just called Bar. Great Rioja, very, very cheap. To reinforce our decision all of the people that we talked to who had stayed in Torres del Rio said that it was very disappointing.

In Logroño we stayed in the Albergue de Los Peregrinos Albas. The only downside was that it is a little off the Camino. It is modern and very clean and comfortable. We lunched near the Cathedral where there are a lot of cheap, but good eateries. At night we went to Calle Laurel, party street, great time.

In Najera we stayed Albergue Nido de Cigüeña. Again very comfortable with a great communal kitchen where we ate in the company of a group of other peregrines. In Santo Domingo a group of 6 of us rented an AirBnB flat so cannot really help you with accommodation. Once again we ate in communally.

In Belorado we stayed in the Albergue de Peregrinos Caminantes, which was very good. Clean, comfortable and with a covered swimming pool in the back garden. There were a number of good cheap eateries around the town plaza.

In Ages we couldn’t stay in the Municipal Albergue but we ate and drank there and it was great. The workers and the locals were all really open and friendly. We actually stayed in the Albergue Privado San Rafael, which is really basic but clean and passably comfortable.

In Burgos, we stayed in the Municipal Albergue. It is an absolutely fabulous place. Clean and modern and located in a Medieval building very close to the Cathedral. Being a big touristy city there are loads of places to eat and drink.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back