• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for 6 week CF

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
CF; Norte; Ingles; Augustine; Portugues Central
I'm 6 weeks away from departing for my 1st CF (SJPP-SDC-Finisterre/Muxia). I fly into Madrid March 18th (arrive 00:05H -overnight bus to Pamplona - arrive SJPP March 18 late afternoon) / fly out of Madrid home May 1st late afternoon and yes I know May 1st is a big European holiday ).

I'm not totally kitted yet (little by little I'm finding stuff, being a minimalist pays off , I know I can pick up small stuff or beg others ). I'm in the "excited yet stage fright" phase.

The purpose of my Camino is for spiritual insight regarding "what to do with the rest of my life". I hope it's also a lesson in slowing down, remaining in the present, learning the limits of my "older" body, going with the flow and above all, being of service/help to my fellow pilgrims.

I have 42 days just for the CF (SJPP via Valcarlos) plus Finiesterre/Muxia (if possible on foot, if not then bus/walk) excluding my travel days to SJPP (2) and from Madrid to Slovakia (2). I already walk on average 10-15 km a day with my dog (2-3 x 5 km walks), I am "practicing" longer hikes 2 x week (I don't want to overdo it before arriving).

I'd very much appreciate suggestions from likeminded veterans on a reasonable 42 day CF itinerary that will minimize injury, allow for horrible weather yet experience maybe the less popular towns/albergues. I do realize in late March not all albergues will be open. FYI, I have Brierley's guidebook, I'm fluent in Spanish, I have my travel booked already and my budget will allow for staying on ocassion in a CR or hotel.

A heartfelt thank you! Colette

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Colette I think you have given yourself plenty of time and should have a lovely, leisurely, camino. The first time I walked the CF, very unfit, it took me 38 days, and that included rest days in all the major cities (Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, Leon). There is much to see in each. I recommend downloading onto a smartphone or tablet "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago; the complete cultural handbook" by Gitlitz and Davidson. It is not a travel guide, nor a book to read before, but to have at hand as you walk along. It is full of fascinating information about the places along the way, the buildings, the history, culture, legends and stories, and even bits and pieces about the flora and fauna.

I assume you realise that the Route Napoleon is not open until the end of March, so you will be walking from SJPDP to Roncesvalles via Valcarlos? It is a lovely alternative route, the more historic in that it follows the most popular medieval pilgrim trail from France into Spain. There is an excellent albergue in Valcarlos, and a good restaurant in the village, if you want to break that first stage in two.

Hi Colette,

Like I see it you are ready and set to go ;-) I wouldn't pre-plan any itinerary apart of what you have already done. Just keep an eye on the remaining days you have and listen to your body how much it wants to walk each day and - Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Colette. You said your budget will allow the occasional CR or hotel. We have found the CR's to be wonderful value, the food and wine to be the best you will encounter on the Camino, and the owners really nice people who can't do enough for you. So stay in them as often as you can afford it, you will not regret it.

Colette I think you have given yourself plenty of time and should have a lovely, leisurely, camino. The first time I walked the CF, very unfit, it took me 38 days, and that included rest days in all the major cities (Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, Leon). There is much to see in each. I recommend downloading onto a smartphone or tablet "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago; the complete cultural handbook" by Gitlitz and Davidson. It is not a travel guide, nor a book to read before, but to have at hand as you walk along. It is full of fascinating information about the places along the way, the buildings, the history, culture, legends and stories, and even bits and pieces about the flora and fauna.

I assume you realise that the Route Napoleon is not open until the end of March, so you will be walking from SJPDP to Roncesvalles via Valcarlos? It is a lovely alternative route, the more historic in that it follows the most popular medieval pilgrim trail from France into Spain. There is an excellent albergue in Valcarlos, and a good restaurant in the village, if you want to break that first stage in two.

Thank you Kanga, especially for the suggested guide book, good idea. Yes, I am planning to stay in Valcarlos the first night (I can do the Napoleon route another time), Roncesvalles the next night then ? Zubiri (although I've not heard much positivity about this town).

Hi Colette,

Like I see it you are ready and set to go ;-) I wouldn't pre-plan any itinerary apart of what you have already done. Just keep an eye on the remaining days you have and listen to your body how much it wants to walk each day and - Buen Camino, SY

Thank you for the encouragement. As I winter loving Canadian I'd love to hear about your winter Camino. ☃️☃️☃️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A fine place to stay in Zubiri is the private albergue El Palo de Avellano located next to the church. Several small traditional stone structures have been nicely converted into the multilevel space. Private rooms are available and they provide a delicious communal dinner as well as breakfast.

See more here in their web--
http://elpalodeavellano.com/es/el-palo-de-avellano/

Last edited:
Hi Colette,

Like I see it you are ready and set to go ;-) I wouldn't pre-plan any itinerary apart .......SY
You have the right attitude and time ....... plan your first 2 nights over the pyrenees and take it VERY easy , the rest will just fall in to place as you go , make friends , see places and take in all there is to experience.
PS , Easter in Navarre ..........WOW!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with mspath comments. The El Palo de Avellano is excellent, we stayed there last March. Really good facilities, great meal, good wine and a very pleasant host. http://elpalodeavellano.com/en/the-hazel-stick/ Zubiri gets bad reviews that I don't think are deserved. Same as Larrasoana, it is a nice village if you stay and eat at the right places.

You have the right attitude and time ....... plan your first 2 nights over the pyrenees and take it VERY easy , the rest will just fall in to place as you go , make friends , see places and take in all there is to experience.

Yes Semana Santa in Navarre

I agree with mspath comments. The El Palo de Avellano is excellent, we stayed there last March. Really good facilities, great meal, good wine and a very pleasant host. http://elpalodeavellano.com/en/the-hazel-stick/ Zubiri gets bad reviews that I don't think are deserved. Same as Larrasoana, it is a nice village if you stay and eat at the right places.

Many thanks, the www page is great, will put it at top of list.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Isn't Easter in mid-April this year? The OP will be far from Navarra by then.

To the OP, just go, start walking and see what happens. No planning will save you from a cold, twisted ankle, mud and cold, all things that can slow you down. Take it a day at a time and see where it gets you.

Perhaps this is too much for 42 days but I'm just putting an idea into your head and not recommending it; from Santiago head down into Portugal. So, from France across Spain to Portugal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola @Colette - sounds like a great Camino and with 6 weeks (40+ days) to walk you can days off or do detours when and where you like. Given that May 1st is a national holiday in Spain (and France and maybe other EU nations) and as its a Monday (long week-end?) may I recommend that you give consideration to booking your train or bus tickets as soon as the booking window opens! Buen Camino!

Hola @Colette - sounds like a great Camino and with 6 weeks (40+ days) to walk you can days off or do detours when and where you like. Given that May 1st is a national holiday in Spain (and France and maybe other EU nations) and as its a Monday (long week-end?) may I recommend that you give consideration to booking your train or bus tickets as soon as the booking window opens! Buen Camino!

Thanks for replying - yes I'm aware of May 1st in the EU (got caught once in Paris on a May 1st). Actually I'll head for Madrid a few days before so will book accommodation ahead. I'm looking forward to the detours, nooks & crannies along The Way ().

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My timetable for Aug. Hope it can offer a few ideas. Should be possible to speed it up if you can walk further. I'm 67 and a bit slower than most. :)

If you have an Android device you might want to load https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino&hl=en

Is free but if you make a donation it will supply weather as well. I have used this in my last two Caminos.

Download the maps if you want access away from wifi sources if you want to stay up to date on where you are while walking - remember to turn satellite location ON.

Buen Camino

Day 1: Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port - Orreaga/Roncesvalles (25.6 km)
Day 2: Orreaga/Roncesvalles - Zubiri (21.5 km)
Day 3: Zubiri - Pamplona (20.3 km)
Day 4: Pamplona - Puente la Reina/Gares (24.0 km)
Day 5: Puente la Reina/Gares - Estella/Lizarra (21.9 km)
Day 6: Estella/Lizarra - Los Arcos (21.2 km)
Day 7: Los Arcos - Viana (18.3 km)
Day 8: Viana - Ventosa (22.2 km)
Day 9: Ventosa - Azofra (22.6 km)
Day 10: Azofra - Grañón (22.2 km)
Day 11: Grañón - Tosantos (20.5 km)
Day 12: Tosantos - Agés (22.7 km)
Day 13: Agés - Burgos (23.0 km)
Day 14: Burgos - Hornillos del Camino (20.6 km)
Day 15: Hornillos del Camino - Castrojeriz (19.7 km)
Day 16: Castrojeriz - Boadilla del Camino (19.3 km)
Day 17: Boadilla del Camino - Villalcázar de Sirga (18.8 km)
Day 18: Villalcázar de Sirga - Calzadilla de la Cueza (22.8 km)
Day 19: Calzadilla de la Cueza - Sahagún (22.6 km)
Day 20: Sahagún - El Burgo Ranero (17.6 km)
Day 21: El Burgo Ranero - Mansilla de las Mulas (19.2 km)
Day 22: Mansilla de las Mulas - León (18.1 km)
Day 23: León - Villadangos del Páramo (21.3 km)
Day 24: Villadangos del Páramo - Santibáñez de Valdeiglesias (17.1 km)
Day 25: Santibáñez de Valdeiglesias - Murias de Rechivaldo (16.1 km)
Day 26: Murias de Rechivaldo - Foncebadón (21.2 km)
Day 27: Foncebadón - Molinaseca (19.6 km)
Day 28: Molinaseca - Cacabelos (24.3 km)
Day 29: Cacabelos - Vega de Valcarce (24.0 km)
Day 30: Vega de Valcarce - O Cebreiro (11.9 km)
Day 31: O Cebreiro - Triacastela (21.1 km)
Day 32: Triacastela - Sarria (18.3 km)
Day 33: Sarria - Portomarín (22.4 km)
Day 34: Portomarín - Palas de Rei (25.0 km)
Day 35: Palas de Rei - Melide (14.8 km)
Day 36: Melide - Arzúa (14.0 km)
Day 37: Arzúa - O Pedrouzo (19.2 km)
Day 38: O Pedrouzo - Santiago de Compostela (20.0 km)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back