• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for best way to return to US from Santiago?

Tiffany4412

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2016
I've read that flying to London or Frankfurt from Santiago, then on to the US is a good option. Anyone have a better option?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It really depends to where in the US you are flying to and if an airport over the border (Canada/Mexico) is an option or not. Two good planning sites are rome2rio.com and skyscanner.net. Buen Camino, SY

I know some Americans flying from Santiago to Dublin and on to the USA with Aer Lingus. Work checking on sites mentioned above by SY.

On the inward route they use Aer Lingus to Dublin and Ryanair to Biarritz. The connection times are good with plenty of time for transfers (Summer 2015)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Only certain airlines fly in and out of Santiago, and I haven't found one that will ticket the entire journey back to North America. As far as I know, if you want to fly out of Santiago, you will end up doing your trans-Atlantic trip on a major airline on a different ticket, with a connection at one of many cities in Europe.

I don't like to depend on a same-day connection from a budget airline (those that fly to Santiago) to a major airline (such as those that fly to North America) when they are ticketed separately. If the first flight is delayed, the second airline won't honour the missed connection. For that reason I prefer to take the train from Santiago to Madrid, have a buffer day there, and fly back to North America (either direct or via Frankfurt, Amsterdam, London, Munich, etc. It really depends entirely on your destination and choice of flight times). I find that a pleasant way to end my time in Spain, anyway.

Air France flies to Biarritz as well as North America, and some major airlines go to Bilbao. Those can work well for starting your camino, but are less convenient at the end.

About 7 years ago, I started flying the multi-city/open jaw ticket. Since American is the only airline that flies into my town, and since Iberia is a partner with American, I always have a ticket that goes either to Madrid or Barcelona and then onto another Spanish city. Coming home, I get the 9:15 Iberia flight from Santiago to Madrid, which gives me plenty of time to connect to my flight back to the US. And since it's all on one ticket, if I miss my connection, it's the airline's responsibility to re-route me. Like C clearly, I would never buy a separate early morning ticket from Santiago to Madrid hoping to make my Madrid connection home. Too many things can mess that up.

Last summer I met someone, not a pilgrim, who had a cheap Ryan Air ticket into Madrid where she hoped to connect with her American flight back to the US. She missed the connection, and lost her entire ticket home. To add insult to injury she had to buy a new one way last minute ticket to the US, which set her back multiple thousands.

We are looking at flights for our Camino in June - I fly United, in and out of San Francisco and am looking at returning via A Coruna. This involves 2 stops - usually A Coruna to Lisbon, then Lisbon to somewhere on the east coast of the US (Washington-Dulles or Newark) and a flight from there to SFO. Previously we flew home from Madrid - the train from Santiago to Madrid takes about 6 hours, so it is a journey, but there are more options from Madrid back to the US than from any of the smaller cities in northern Spain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've read that flying to London or Frankfurt from Santiago, then on to the US is a good option. Anyone have a better option?

It depends on tons of factors like, for example, where in the USA do you plan to go, how confortable are you making two separate bookings for the route (see peregrina2000's post above), if you are fine with an overnight stop along the route and so on.

We are looking at flights for our Camino in June - I fly United, in and out of San Francisco and am looking at returning via A Coruna. This involves 2 stops - usually A Coruna to Lisbon, then Lisbon to somewhere on the east coast of the US (Washington-Dulles or Newark) and a flight from there to SFO.

You could consider to look also for flights out of Porto. They would mean just one stop (probably in Newark) the transatlantic leg would be operated by TAP and the domestic leg in the USA by United. Going from Santiago de Compostela to Porto shouldn't be a problem although you might need to stay overnight in Porto (but that's not a bad thing if you don't know Porto...).

Only certain airlines fly in and out of Santiago, and I haven't found one that will ticket the entire journey back to North America.

Take a look at Iberia. If you are heading to Canada, take a look at Iberia too but out of A Coruña airport (LCG). Out of A Coruña airport, you could also take a look at TAP for flights to some North American destinations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saved hundreds of dollars flying out of A Coruña instead of Santiago. It is only a 30-minute train ride from Santiago to A Coruña on Renfe. I think it only cost $8.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you everyone. Very helpful!
Anyone know what people normally do who walk on to Muxia or Fisterra? Do they bus back to Santiago and then travel home from there? Or is Coruna a better option when flying to the US/east coast?

BTW, I don't mind stops, that's a given and it breaks up the long journey. I would book same airline from A to B and let them figure out the stops. Just wondering best place to fly out of. The train ride to Madrid is too long but I could fly there. Just in the beginning stages of research and I've never been to Europe so it's very unfamiliar. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Each time I go I have flown from Santiago to Madrid on Ryanair, the late flight (very frugal and quite an experience for someone who hasn't travelled on a literal Air Bus, ironically on a Boeing), stayed a night in Madrid at the airport Hilton (somewhat pricey, others are available) and then caught a mid morning flight from Madrid to my ultimate destination in the US.

I have never had a connection issue... as my flight back home is the next day with plenty of time to spare.

As far as the walk to Muxia and Finnesterre, bus back to Santiago, catch late flight from SDC to MAD, sleep in Madrid, fly home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do they bus back to Santiago and then travel home from there? Or is Coruna a better option when flying to the US/east coast?

Out of Santiago de Compostela, you can fly to New York (JFK), Miami and Chicago with Iberia with a single change of planes in Madrid.

Out of A Coruña, you can fly with Iberia to the same destinations quoted above but you can also fly with an Iberia ticket to London (LHR) -flight operated by Vueling- and from LHR to the USA -flight operated by British Airways-. British Airways has non-stop flights from LHR to many American destinations so out of A Coruña you can reach more American destinations with a single change of planes than out of Santiago de Compostela. Out of A Coruña, you can also fly with TAP to Newark and Miami (changing planes in Lisbon) but not daily.

If you fly out with Iberia some onward connections within the USA (from the hubs I quoted above) are offered -flights operated by American Airlines -a fellow partner in the Oneworld Allicance-. If you fly out with TAP, some onward connections within the USA (from Newark) are offered -flights operated by United -a fellow partner in the Star Alliance-.

A point you shouldn't overlook is that to get a return flight from the USA to Europe will usually be your cheaper option so you have to look also for flight options that get you close to your departure point. Take a look to the options for outbound flights from the USA to France offered Iberia, British Airways and TAP, compare them with the options from flights back to the USA from Santiago de Compostela and A Coruña, compare fares and decide what works best for you. Tip: if you find that fares that way are too expensive for you, you can look for other alternatives like flying back from Madrid, getting separate bookings for different legs of your trip and others.

All the options I quoted above are available year round. There are also some seasonal options out of Santiago de Compostela like Aer Lingus changing planes in Dublin or Swiss Airlines changing planes in Zürich. Depending on the Schedule of the flights out of Santiago de Compostela operated by these Airlines you might make to the USA on the same day or you might need to stay overnight in Dublin or Zürich.

If you have any Frequent Flyer Miles I flew United Star Alliance from Santiago to Denver...four flights but I made it home on the same day and note this routing is only available using Frequent Flyer Miles...and there are buses and taxis from Fisterra back to Santiago.

Sorry if I'm butting in and teaching to the converted but my US and Oz friends didn't know about the cheap airlines we can use in Europe... I'm pretty sure that this has been listed before but for those that dont know, these operators cover a wide area and offer good prices... basic, no frills but faster than the train... I'll but out again now :oops:

http://www.vueling.com/en/book-your-flight/where-we-fly

http://www.easyjet.com/en/routemap

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/cheap-flight-destinations

http://www.flybe.com/route-map/ (although not in Santiago)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you have any Frequent Flyer Miles I flew United Star Alliance from Santiago to Denver...four flights but I made it home on the same day and note this routing is only available using Frequent Flyer Miles...

Sometimes (just sometimes because Swiss' flights out of SCQ are seasonal and schedule isn't always the same within the season they are operated), it's possible to fly from Santiago de Compostela to Denver with Swiss airlines in a single day with just 3 flights involved. Route: SCQ-ZRH; ZRH-ORD and ORD-DEN. The ORD-DEN flight is operated by United the other 2 flights are operated by Swiss. Swiss is part of Star Alliance as well as United although I can't tell you for sure if this option is available with UA FF miles.

Sometimes (just sometimes because Swiss' flights out of SCQ are seasonal and schedule isn't always the same within the season they are operated), it's possible to fly from Santiago de Compostela to Denver with Swiss airlines in a single day with just 3 flights involved. Route: SCQ-ZRH; ZRH-ORD and ORD-DEN. The ORD-DEN flight is operated by United the other 2 flights are operated by Swiss. Swiss is part of Star Alliance as well as United although I can't tell you for sure if this option is available with UA FF miles.

Using Frequent Flyer Miles on United Star Alliance...I flew Swiss Airlines from Santiago to Switzerland...Lufthansa Airlines from Switzerland to Germany...Lufthansa Airlines from Germany to Dulles Airport...and finally United Airlines from Dulles to my bed in Denver all in one day...and at that time there was a three flight option through Chicago Airport and another option through San Francisco Airport...but these multi-operator routings are only available using Frequent Flyer Miles.

The train ride to Madrid is too long but I could fly there.

Just as an FYI, we took an overnight train from SdC to Madrid. We got a sleeper car and arrived in Madrid showered and refreshed.
Here in Canada it's very expensive to travel by train let alone using a sleeper car. It was another fun experience that neither of us had done before.
Yes, a sleeper car is more expensive than just getting a seat but by traveling at night it's not much more expensive than the combination of a hotel room and a flight that you would need anyways.
Plus, since the train didn't leave until 10pm, it gave us a whole day in SdC.
Just another option for you to consider! :)
Ron

but these multi-operator routings are only available using Frequent Flyer Miles.

The one I quoted above (Swiss from Santiago de Compostela to Chicago changing planes in Zürich plus United from Chicago to Denver) can be easily booked on the web of Swiss. AFAIK, other multi-operator routings, even if they aren't available at the web of any of the airlines involved on the route, can be put together by a good travel agent as long as the airlines involved have interline agreements among them and that the route isn't banned for legal reasons.

Tiffany4412:

I have tried multiple return options over several Camino's. I have settled on the overnight Tren hotel from Santiago to Chamartin (arrives 8:00am) and then the Cercanias train to Madrid Barajas (runs every half hour). This is a long ride but it is a sleeper train. They offer a variety of sleeping compartments from a single to a four bed. I usually choose the four bed. The compartments are typically all male or female. I prefer this versus flying the day before and paying for an overnight hotel in Madrid. A morning flight out of Santiago (on my departure day) adds to many potential risks due to weather or other mitigating factors ie: mechanical etc.

This option or any of the others will work. Each has its' own merits and costs. I am sure you will find one the works for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Others may have mentioned this, but I will to make it concise (my New Year's Resolution...you are most welcome Doug...:)) Okay, so it is a relative concept to me. But, here goes...

If money is a factor, take the ALSA bus from Santiago to Madrid; simple.

If money is not a factor, you have several options. here are several I have used in the past and recommend:
  • Fly from Santiago to Madrid (Iberia has the best routes, IMHO)
  • Fly from Santiago to Barcelona (Vueling nonstop, year round, FYI Barcelona is Vueling's hub)
  • Fly from Santiago to Brussels (Vueling nonstop in Summer, or via Barcelona). I prefer Brussels as a European gateway as it is less expensive generally than London, Frankfurt, or Paris, the airport is VERY well run, everyone speaks English, and there is Belgian chocolate in the duty free shops! You can also get just about anywhere in the world from there. American, Delta and United fly there from their US hubs. Brussels Airlines is a UA codeshare.
It is not the airfare. It is the "extras' that can cost more than the fare...luggage, etc.

Some folks like taking the train. However, I believe that the train takes longer and is relatively expensive, compared to the ALSA bus.

At Barcelona or Madrid, connect to your international airline of choice. You may have to change terminals though. Traveling to North America? Iberia is a codeshare for American Airlines.

Also, ALSA has a premium service that is worth the few extra Euros, IMHO. It is called "Supra Economy," and includes a light meal, water and soft drinks, newspaper, Wi-Fi, AND an attendant. The seating is 1-2 and the seats are very comfortable. The standard service is 2-2 seating and includes the water and maybe Wi-Fi. All buses have toilettes. Generally, ALSA buses represent the best travel value within Spain.

Final point, because of the flight times departing to the US from Spain (mostly around mid-day), you will need to plan to spend one night at or near the Madrid airport BEFORE you depart Spain. However, if you arrive in Spain at Madrid Barajas, it IS possible to get a bus or train north to Pamplona, or another city in Spain the same day you arrive. but, why would you go to the expense and travel so far, and NOT spend a day or two in Madrid?

To get to France (St. Jean Pied de Port) you need to make a connection with a local transport service in Pamplona to get over the Pyrenees to France. It is a local turf thing...

I hope this helps...

Traveling from Santiago/Madrid/Charlotte/New Orleans via Iberia/American Airlines in early June 2016. One ticket for entire trip, arranged through Travelocity. Not sure if it was the cheapest, but it is the most convenient; particularly after 30+ days on the CdF.

Each time I go I have flown from Santiago to Madrid on Ryanair, the late flight (very frugal and quite an experience for someone who hasn't travelled on a literal Air Bus, ironically on a Boeing), stayed a night in Madrid at the airport Hilton (somewhat pricey, others are available) and then caught a mid morning flight from Madrid to my ultimate destination in the US.

I have never had a connection issue... as my flight back home is the next day with plenty of time to spare.

As far as the walk to Muxia and Finnesterre, bus back to Santiago, catch late flight from SDC to MAD, sleep in Madrid, fly home.

Perfect, thank you! I see you've done this a time or two! No words! If you don't mind, Muxia or Finnesterre?

If you are going to take a low cost airline within Europe, don't forget to read carefully all the rules beforehand to avoid unpleasant surprises at the airport. Ryanair, for example, is well-known for requiring non EU/EEA citizens to get their online boarding pass stamped and their travel document(s) checked before going through security at the airport and some non EU/EEA travelers forget it (or are unaware of it) and go directly to the boarding gate... Allowed size and weight of luggage is another point not to overlook with low cost airlines (as well as fees if yours is bigger/heavier)... As I said above, read carefully all the rules to avoid surprises.

I bought an Alsa bus ticket from Santiago to Terminal 4 at Madrid airport to connect with my British Airways return flight to Canada via London Heathrow the end of November 2015. The bus terminated at the main bus depot in Madrid in spite of the ticket to the airport and no one from Alsa could tell me why or offer an alternative. I took a train to the airport and was in plenty of time for my flight, having left myself several extra hours just in case. But I would be cautious about booking a bus from Santiago to Madrid airport, whatever it says on the ticket, unless you can give yourself hours extra.

I know you can fly from Dallas/Ft. Worth on American through Madrid. Iberia Express is a OneWorld member so basically you can fly AA from DFW to Madrid non-stop and hop on an Iberia Express flight to Santiago and then back through Madrid to DFW. Your booking would be Dallas/Fort Worth to Santiago with a (hopefully short) layover at Madrid Barajas. I plan to do this in 2017. Even if one chooses to stay a night in Madrid, the cost of the flight from Madrid to Santiago on Iberia Express is pretty inexpensive (I'm thinking it is $60 ish each way).

Perfect, thank you! I see you've done this a time or two! No words! If you don't mind, Muxia or Finnesterre?

Heck no. I will not approach this question with a 10 ft. pole! (3.048 meters for the rest of the world).

That is so subjective, there are many, many opinions.

Finnesterre - if in the right season there are actual beaches where you can "lay out". There are wonderful cliffs (its a good walk up to the lighthouse) where you can peer out onto majestic seascapes, and revel in the tradition of peregrinos, finally resigned that they have met their final spot, stopped, drunk wine, burned things, you'll understand if you get there.

Muxia-- Only been there once, but the coast is in your throat. Waves crashing against rocks where no right minded american national park or american city ordinance would allow you to transgress, and I felt the passion of the sea, there was a church there, I think burned, and being rebuilt, on the coast directly. Wonderful.

You said Finnesterre "or" Muxia.

I say "AND". If you can swing it.

If not, then, come back and do the other.

Damien

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Probably not a "better" option, but perhaps a more interesting one-I took a train to Lisbon and to US from there. Shortest plane ride to states is via Lisbon and the train ride is awesome. Plan to do it again when I do a Portuguese Camino in May.

Probably not a "better" option, but perhaps a more interesting one-I took a train to Lisbon and to US from there. Shortest plane ride to states is via Lisbon and the train ride is awesome. Plan to do it again when I do a Portuguese Camino in May.

No need to go all the way down to Lisbon. You can fly to the USA from Porto. TAP flies from Porto to Newark (onward connections from Newark available with fellow Star Alliance partner United Airlines) although not daily.

Only certain airlines fly in and out of Santiago, and I haven't found one that will ticket the entire journey back to North America. As far as I know, if you want to fly out of Santiago, you will end up doing your trans-Atlantic trip on a major airline on a different ticket
I had said the above and am happy to be corrected by Castilian, below. It looks like there are some options from Santiago that aren't the budget airlines. I probably will continue to take the train to Madrid, because I like that trip, but it's good to know about the alternatives.
Take a look at Iberia. If you are heading to Canada, take a look at Iberia too but out of A Coruña airport (LCG). Out of A Coruña airport, you could also take a look at TAP for flights to some North American destinations.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've. Santiagoead that flying to London or Frankfurt from Santiago, then on to the US is a good option. Anyone have a better option?

Hola Tiffany,
The very best way is to take a bus from Santiago to Madrid' and take your flight home from there....the Madrid Barajas airport is real easy to get around..and a lot of English speaking employees at the airport

I took the train from Santiago to Madrid and then stayed at the airport Hilton. I thoroughly enjoyed the train ride. I then flew Delta to Atlanta and then on the Minneapolis.

I took the train from Santiago to Madrid and then stayed at the airport Hilton. I thoroughly enjoyed the train ride. I then flew Delta to Atlanta and then on the Minneapolis.
The train ticket included a transfer to the airport from the central Madrid station. This was easy to navigate. Once I was at the airport I caught the hotel shuttle to the hotel. I would do it this way again.

I had said the above and am happy to be corrected by Castilian, below. It looks like there are some options from Santiago that aren't the budget airlines. I probably will continue to take the train to Madrid, because I like that trip, but it's good to know about the alternatives.

The options I quoted on the post above were options year round. There are also some seasonal options. To sum up the options that can be ticketed by a single airline:

Out of Santiago de Compostela airport (year round):

Iberia changing planes in Madrid.

Out of Santiago de Compostela airport (seasonal):

Aer Lingus changing planes in Dublin
Swiss changing planes in Zürich

Out of A Coruña airport (year round):

Iberia changing planes in Madrid or in London.
TAP changing planes in Lisbon.

Out of Porto airport (year round):

TAP non-stop to Newark
Air Transat non-stop to Toronto (and seasonal non-stop flights to Montreal)
And Lufthansa, Iberia and Swiss changing planes in their hubs. And, maybe, although they might mean an overnight stay in their hubs, Brussels Airlines, KLM and Air Europa too. British Airways could be an option too but most likely it will mean a change of airports in London.
Don't overlook either United and American Airlines because they codeshare the route to Porto with Lufthansa (and TAP) and Iberia respectively and might sell it cheaper if you come from the USA or from Canada.

Notes:
  • Routes other than the ones ticketed by Iberia and Lufthansa may mean on some dates an overnight stop along the route and/or may be not daily. If you are flexible with your travel dates, check several days (because you may need an overnight stay on some days of the week but not on others) and several months (because you may need an overnight stay on some months but not on others).
  • On routes meaning changes of planes, one or more legs could be codeshared and operated by a different airline than the one that ticketed your booking. Example: Iberia tickets options out of A Coruña airport changing planes in London but doesn't operate a single leg of the route.
  • If by any chance there's any Asian Pilgrim reading this thread, Turkish Airlines operates out of Santiago de Compostela airport and out of Porto airport.

Santiago to Dublin with Aer Lingus then on to the US. All customs and immigration formalities are carried out in Dublin so when you touch down, just pick up your bags and leave airport as you would on an internal flight

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back