• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for booking a flight back home...

"JJ"

Time of past OR future Camino
(April 4, 2016)
Hello Camino Friends,
Friday I booked a flight from U.S. to Biarritz, arriving in St. Jean Pied de Port April 4, 2016.
I have tried to search forums but have been unable to find....
At what point do I book a return flight home? Do I wait until I am in Leon, or should I guess and book a flight before I leave and hope I make it to Santiago in that time frame, or would it be best to just try and find a travel agent to help get me started and maybe help with the return travel?
I've read all the advice about trying to plan for injuries, etc., and it's easy to get overwhelmed with all the threads, but I've never backpacked this far before and I'm a bit apprehensive.

Thanks in advance for any advice
JJ

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@"JJ" in my experience most people can walk from SJPDP to SDC in 6 weeks, including a few spare days in case of injury and to enjoy Burgos, Leon and SDC. I take a punt and book a return flight 6 or 7 weeks after my inward journey, depending on whether I want some time in Madrid or other places.

It really depends on how long you can or want to be away from home. Spain has lots to offer if you do finish early.

find a travel agent to help get me started
Travel agent? What is that??? :):)

The internet has almost put them out of business! If you have the time, you can find all the information you need on the internet; tell the agent, if you use one, what you want after some research.

I have found that one-way flights from and to the U.S. are quite expensive, sometimes each one costing more than a round trip. Even if you are spending 70E per day to stay in Spain, you could stay an extra 10 days for about $766 at the current exchange rate. I suggest booking a round trip ticket before you leave, allowing enough time to walk where you want. Some airlines allow you to change your reservation for about $250, but read the fine print. Airlines are a duplicit0us bunch of bandits, and an actual change may be a lot more than the stated fee!

Look for a ticket with multiple destinations and you can fly into one airport and out of another for about the same price as a round trip ticket to Madrid. One popular option is to fly into Pamplona and return from Santiago. American Airlines has code sharing with Iberia Airlines, and serves those airports.

Buen camino. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Factors are:

When do you have to be back home for work or other commitments

Schengen treaty says you can stay in Europe Schengen zone for up to 90 days and not more.

How long can you afford to stay in non-camino accommodation?

How long do you plan to walk on the camino?

Walking the entire camino is overrated. So what if you don't walk the entire distance.

It would be best to have a return ticket before you travel. Its easier to arrange such details before you go and prices will be more reasonable.

So come up with a time estimate on when you expect to finish your walk and add a few slush days. If you then can't make Santiago on schedule its time to abandon the attempt and go home.

Injuries are another matter. Airlines will honor your ticket home ... even though you may have to pay a couple of hundreds to change the travel date.

And another thing ... I made the mistake of considering the camino as a backpacking trip. I took the stuff I knew I wouldn't need (tent stove etc) out of the pack without considering the weight of what remained. The result was a pack that was too heavy.

JJ, welcome to forum. Are you having a laugh or are you completely open to Camino bringing you somewhere else. Please take no offence, but I assume it costs lots of dollars for one way trip. I reside in Europe and I always book return trips. Walking the Camino will bring you to many different places, geographically & otherwise, it's up to you.

Buen Camino JJ.

@"JJ" in my experience most people can walk from SJPDP to SDC in 6 weeks, including a few spare days in case of injury and to enjoy Burgos, Leon and SDC. I take a punt and book a return flight 6 or 7 weeks after my inward journey, depending on whether I want some time in Madrid or other places.

It really depends on how long you can or want to be away from home. Spain has lots to offer if you do finish early.
Okay, Thanks so much! I appreciate it :)

The internet has almost put them out of business! If you have the time, you can find all the information you need on the internet; tell the agent, if you use one, what you want after some research.

I have found that one-way flights from and to the U.S. are quite expensive, sometimes each one costing more than a round trip. Even if you are spending 70E per day to stay in Spain, you could stay an extra 10 days for about $766 at the current exchange rate. I suggest booking a round trip ticket before you leave, allowing enough time to walk where you want. Some airlines allow you to change your reservation for about $250, but read the fine print. Airlines are a duplicit0us bunch of bandits, and an actual change may be a lot more than the stated fee!

Look for a ticket with multiple destinations and you can fly into one airport and out of another for about the same price as a round trip ticket to Madrid. One popular option is to fly into Pamplona and return from Santiago. American Airlines has code sharing with Iberia Airlines, and serves those airports.

Buen camino. ;)

Buen camino. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was speaking about a travel agent that would help me find my bearings once I arrive in St. Jean...point me in the right direction, so to speak... It's all good.
Pax!

Once you are in St. Jean it is easy to get your bearings. The route is pretty clear and the pilgrim's office will have maps, credencials, and even shells. They can answer any questions you might have on arrival.

There are also plenty of stores and ATMs if you need anything before you start.

Buen Camino.

And when you get off the train at St Jean, just follow all the other people wearing backpacks. They are your fellow pilgrims, and they are all making for the pilgrim's office. Or be the leader and head off up the hill, and they will follow, because they are feeling just as lost as you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Once you are in St. Jean it is easy to get your bearings. The route is pretty clear and the pilgrim's office will have maps, credencials, and even shells. They can answer any questions you might have on arrival.

There are also plenty of stores and ATMs if you need anything before you start.

Buen Camino.
Thank you. I am a bit nervous as I do not know any French, although I have read that it isn't essential. Appreciate your input very much. The anxiety is dissipating, although slightly. :)

And when you get off the train at St Jean, just follow all the other people wearing backpacks. They are your fellow pilgrims, and they are all making for the pilgrim's office. Or be the leader and head off up the hill, and they will follow, because they are feeling just as lost as you!
Thanks for reminding me of that, dear Kanga. My self doubt keeps making me think I will be lost before I start! (Note to self, when in doubt, follow the backpacks... ) ;) You're great!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back