• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for Camping along the Camino Del Norte

KelcieLamont

Time of past OR future Camino
Trying to decide the best camino for all tent camping, approximately 6 weeks of time =)
Hello Everyone!
Myself and a friend have decided to adventure on the Camino for the first time (And our first time in Spain!) and we have decided to take the Norte route. We are interested in camping in our small backpacking tent the entire trip, as we are on a very limited budget. I am particularly interested in seeing the coastline and the mountains, but after some research it appears as if much of the route for the Camino Norte is in populated areas that may not be the best for pitching our tent. I've seen a few threads that have addressed camping, but not many specific recommendations. Has anyone camped the entire Camino Norte route? Also, would you suggest a different route if we wanted to camp the entire time?
I'm really looking forward to the trip. We are similarly backpacking around Europe before making the Camino our last stop before heading home. I expect we will have approx 6 weeks to complete the trek.

Any suggestions much appreciated
Cheers
Kelcie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camp sites are quite expensive along the north coast and 'wild' camping is illegal/strictly controlled. If you are allowed to camp at an albergue then you would still need to contribute to the costs of showers etc. It would probably be as economical to use the albergues with showers/cooking facilities included.
Buen Camino

You are right, the route is mainly along well populated areas. We took a tent on the Norte with the intention of camping, and only used it about six times. Others who were more determined may have done better. We found camping is strictly controlled and "wild" camping only permitted in a few places that I can think of. There are rangers patrolling areas of natural beauty who look for illegal campers.

We enjoyed staying in a few of the developed campsites, but the cost about the same as a bed in an albergue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Islares for sure 10€ The albergue it's really bad anyway so I sleep in a small ship container with a heater and lights can't beat that I would sleep in a container any time comparing to sleeping with 20 farting and snoring pilgrims :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
I did quite a bit of camping on the French Route. IT IS ILLEGAL TO WILD CAMP IN SPAIN. Or so I was told. Nobody ever bothered me. BUT I was very careful to stay well hidden. You can camp in the plaza behind the church in Granon. I worked as a volunteer there and we had a few campers. I knew some other campers who camped right by the river on the way into Burgos. The French route is less developed with lots of open space between villages. Of course Leon, Burgos are a little more challenging. I camped in a few church yards because I managed to find La Señora who cleaned it and asked her first.
Let the rule of stealth be your guide. Use common sense, stay hidden and for God's sake clean up after yourselves.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.