• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

suggestions for Figeac to Paris?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If your schedule doesn't allow for the 6-8 hour train, you might want to consider flying from Rodez to Paris, flying time being around 1:20. (Personally, long train rides at the end of pilgrim walks are great for decompression, but not everyone may agree with me.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took the night train from Figeac to Paris. -- I had 12 days from Le Puy to Figeac too. But it was slower going for me than I had planned. The hills slowed me down (there was one difficult switchback that was covered in wet chestnuts on slippery rocks that took me forever!) It was also difficult for me to push and extra 5 or 10km (as I did on the Frances) as the gîtes were not as numerous and not was well spaced. Even if I pushed myself for a few days, i would run into a day where I could either walk 13km or 35. :( -- I wish that I had brought my tent for a bit more flexibility. Speaking of which... there is a great camp ground in Sauges with hot showers and washing machine and lines. They have a few little caravan rentals if you don't have a tent. Its on the far edge of town...--- But back to walking. I made it to Conques, but then took a bus from there to Figeac.
Bon Chemin!

The overnight direct train from Rodez to Paris via Figeac no longer seems to run, but there are 10+ trains per day with 1 or 2 changes to Paris. Spend a day in Figeac - it's one of my favourite towns in France and repays a wander round.

Thanks - most helpful. We are now considering that if we arrive on the 17th in Figeac, we could hop on the train on the 18th and spend that day/night in Cahors, then back to Paris on the 19th from Cahors. Otherwise if we arrive later in Figeac, we might head to Paris directly from there. Given the uncertainties of arrival date depending on possible slowing or speeding factors, as sagely mentioned by Kelleymac, is it to be expected that we can buy train tickets upon arrival at the station? This happens to be weekend travel.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, you can buy tickets at the (well-staffed) stations. All have machines which take credit cards and have a choice of languages, incuding English. If you're over 60, you get an automatic discount.

Note that there is no longer a direct train connection between Figeac & Cahors (despite what IGN maps show, the line closed 20+ years ago) and has been replaced by a bus service, (5 times a day) which takes 1 h 40 m. The only train connection is via Toulouse, which takes 3 h 40 m. http://www.sncf.com/

Buses leave from the railway station - Place de la Gare, at the end of Avenue des Poilus. (I always think of them as I walk down it - for many, it was their last sight of home.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for that helpful if sad information. WW2 past remains so present in France. I appreciate the large number of memorials that have been placed in the last 10 years.

At the risk of derailing this thread, poilu usually refers to WW1, when some towns and villages in France lost up to 50% of their young men, a fact often overlooked when criticising their surrender in 1940. Every hamlet in France has a memorial, most erected in the 1920s, and the sheer number of names on each (e.g. Saugues) is heartbreaking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From memory, the first war memorial after Le Puy is at St Christophe. Thereafter, they are ubiquitous. Spend a few moments in reflection at the occasional one and you will realise that, in some villages, 20-50% of the young women had no hope of marriage or children, as the young men had been killed in the "mincing machine" of Verdun. It is impossible to understand contemporary France without some knowledge of the first World War. Like the Civil War in Spain, it casts a long shadow.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back