• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for getting from Barcelona to Santiago

joaosilva

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho of St Jacques from Porto (Catedral) in 2018
Hello everyone.

On 9 October I want to go with my wife and children to Santiago de Compostela. We will be in Barcelona for 5 days and we want some advises of transport that is comfortable for everyone, especially the kids.

We thought about the possibility of transfers, but we don't know any reliable company that has comfortable cars.

Has anyone resorted to this alternative?

Thank you

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Think of Spain as having 2 sectors and Madrid (at the center) being the cross (stop) point. Whether bus or train we are talking about 5-6 hours (bus) or 2 hrs (fast speed AVE trains respectively). That times 2 as all traffic will pass through Madrid. Forget about cars as it will be at least 10 hours. The only to avoid that and jump right to Santiago de Compostela is by air and for budget airlines it is should be cheaper and faster than hiring a car.

Hello everyone.

On 9 October I want to go with my wife and children to Santiago de Compostela. We will be in Barcelona for 5 days and we want some advises of transport that is comfortable for everyone, especially the kids.

We thought about the possibility of transfers, but we don't know any reliable company that has comfortable cars.

Has anyone resorted to this alternative?

Thank you

Hi Joao,

From Barcelona you have direct flights to Santiago (Ryanair) or A Coruña (Vueling). If you go via Coruña, you have both trains and buses to Santiago.

Another alternative is train. You have direct trains. Just bear in mind that it is a 12 h trip. Alternatively, you can travel with high-speed train (AVE) from BCN to Madrid and then change trains (which also involves changing station but it is fairly easy with Cercanías from Atocha to Chamartin). This way you can expect a 9-10 h trip.

www.renfe.com for trains
www.alsa.com for buses (expect 15 h)

Maybe also high-speed train to Madrid (2 h and 30 min) and then hire a car (to save some driving) or just drive all the way from BCN to Santiago with as many stops as needed, which is probably the cheapest.

Have a nice trip!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Direct flights with Ryanair or Vueling - under 2 hours flying time each way - you could even do it as a day trip

… which would invite the more fanatical supporters of that strange young Scandinavian woman with the pigtails to beat you to a pulp with organic vegetables.

Even I with my practical rather than principled approach to global warming would probably not do that.

… which would invite the more fanatical supporters of that strange young Scandinavian woman with the pigtails to beat you to a pulp with organic vegetables.

Even I with my practical rather than principled approach to global warming would probably not do that.

I was presuming that they were going to be in Barcelona for 5 days and, on one of those, wanted to spend in Santiago de Compostella

And, just as importantly for them, flying is likely to be both the quickest and cheapest way to travel between the two cities

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think you presumed correctly. That’s pretty much what I understood. I was simply referring to the environmental impact of a family taking a flight across Spain for a single day.

As a Tottenham supporter I thought you must have a sense of humour ...

I like using Rome2Rio.com to find my options

At the end of my Camino, I have to get to Barcelona. After looking at all the options, I chose to fly from Santiago to Barcelona. I thought about the train, but that also is a very long haul.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello John.
When I made my way to Santiago from Porto I wanted to visit Barcelona and I had the same problem as you.
I went all the way alone and when I arrived in Santiago my family was there waiting for me we decided to take the flight to Madrid and from Madrid a transfer to Barcelona. At the time we asked for a quote from this company https://www.livingtours.com/en/trips/tours/madrid-private-transfers and it was the best price we could get.

Thank you everyone. I decided to follow the suggestions of some people from here and the flying is the best option I have. But it's not too bad to go to Madrid so I think I'll fly to Madrid and then take the train to barcelona

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train. More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back