• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you "relieve yourself" when a toilet is not available?

Ultreia et Suseia!

Camino training yields the best packing list!
Time of past OR future Camino
From O Porto in September.
Many pilgrims use corners and bushes as toilets.

In an attempt to minimize these makeshift toilets, I offer two suggestions:

1. Use the toilets and the cafés on your path, bonus deed: buy a bottle of water or a snack to help them run them (costs of paper, cleaning, offering a stamp).

2. If you must relieve yourself in the outdoors, carry biodegradable toilet paper, dig a small hole (a hostalera told me she uses her shell to dig a hole instead of carrying a shovel or tool) and burry your footprint.

People who just go and leave all "as is" are being disrespectful to themselves, nature, the farmer that has to deal with this in the property, and other pilgrims that have to smell it when they walk past, specially on hot days.

Any other ideas to deal with this issue?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

1. Use the toilets and the cafés on your path, bonus deed: buy a bottle of water or a snack to help them run them (costs of paper, cleaning, offering a stamp).

2. If you must relieve yourself in the outdoors, carry biodegradable toilet paper, dig a small hole (a hostalera told me she uses her shell to dig a hole instead of carrying a shovel or tool) and burry your footprint.

People who just go and leave all "as is" are being disrespectful to themselves, nature, the farmer that has to deal with this in the property, and other pilgrims that have to smell it when they walk past, specially on hot days.

What a good point! I start next week and will do as you say, thx

No, no, no! Pack out all toilet paper. The path is often rock hard, animals find disturbed earth and dig, the wind blows away topsoil... All toilet paper is "biodegradable" because it is wood based, but it takes about 3 years to decompose.

In a normal (non Covid) year 350,000 people walk the Camino Francés. Can you envisage how much toilet paper would be left behind if everyone did this? It is already a nightmare and in some spots there is no need for yellow arrows - just follow the toilet paper trail!

If you are a woman, choose one of these alternatives:

1. A small washable "pee" rag or child's handkerchief that you can rinse out and dry overnight (and a small plastic zip lock bag in which to carry it).
2. A panty liner you can change when you get to a cafe.
3. The new padded underpants made for menstruation are excellent for catching any small drips.
4. A FUD (female urinary device). I can recommend the Pibella, a clever bit of Swiss engineering.

I find it hard to believe any hospitalero would suggest leaving toilet paper behind. Bury poo if you get caught short, but carry out the toilet paper. Always carry a small ziplock plastic bag for your waste. Empty and rinse. There are big garbage bins in every town and village.

And yes - use the toilets in the local cafes - never miss an opportunity! It is what the locals do. But remember it costs money to keep them clean and supply toilet paper, soap etc - so always buy something or make a small monetary donation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No, no, no! Pack out all toilet paper. The path is often rock hard, animals find disturbed earth and dig, the wind blows away topsoil... All toilet paper is "biodegradable" because it is wood based, but it takes about 3 years to decompose.

In a normal (non Covid) year 350,000 people walk the Camino Francés. Can you envisage how much toilet paper would be left behind if everyone did this? It is already a nightmare and in some spots there is no need for yellow arrows - just follow the toilet paper trail!

1. A small washable "pee" rag or child's handkerchief that you can rinse out and dry overnight (and a small plastic zip lock bag in which to carry it).
3. The new padded underpants made for menstruation are excellent for catching any small drips.
4. A FUD (female urinary device). I can recommend the Pibella, a clever bit of Swiss engineering.

I find it hard to believe any hospitalero would suggest leaving toilet paper behind. Bury poo if you get caught short, but carry out the toilet paper. Always carry a small ziplock plastic bag for your waste. Empty and rinse. There are big garbage bins in every town and village.

And yes - use the toilets in the local cafes - never miss an opportunity! It is what the locals do. But remember it costs money to keep them clean and supply toilet paper, soap etc - so always buy something or make a small monetary donation.
Wow thx again too, even better advice!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Watch diet and coffee intake! both will encourage the "load" you are going to discharge! Fast and repent:)

Samarkand.

Excellent advice! ¡Excelente consejo!

Packing out TP may sound gross but it's a lot easier than it seems. It's been the standard in wilderness areas in my part of the US for years now. In some areas, they even give you "blue bags" to carry out your poo because as others have said, it does biodegrade — but only over time — and attracts flies and other pests. This is second nature to me now — we carry a "privy kit" that has everything we need to leave no trace.

You can turn your plastic bag inside out to grab it if that helps. A small vial of hand sanitizer in an accessible part of your pack is your friend.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I brought a https://www.shewee.ca/ device with me last year along with a tissues and a ziplock bag and thankfully did not need to relieve myself between stops.

Please don't be like the one American woman I met that decided the middle of the path was an appropriate place to urinate. She thought it was hilarious. I thought she was disgusting. Step off the path please!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

If you don't have biodegradable paper, the next best thing are baby wipes and you can put them in a plastic baggie to cart off. I eat outside alot and they are great for yourself up. Put those in a separate baggie and those you can wash out and reuse over and over.

Use the toilets and the cafés on your path, bonus deed: buy a bottle of water or a snack to help them run them (costs of paper, cleaning, offering a stamp).
This method has always worked for me. I'm always baffled by someone who heeds the call of nature while on the Camino when they haven't gotten more than 250 meters out of town.

Just like I used to tell my kids before a road trip - it doesn't matter if you feel like you have to go - try, because this is the last stop in X distance.

Of course I do carry small plastic bags in case I'm caught out somewhere, but so far I haven't needed to use them. 🤞

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A little bit of tinkle behind an appreciative tree will do little harm and maybe some good. Bagging out your tissues is a given, as it is for those whose nose runs better than their feet in those early hours of the day.
Bagging out those more solid deposits has been standard practice among military forward reconnaissance; protected natural reserve wardens; backpackers worth their salt and 99% of dog walkers in my home town. It’s not as if it’s difficult.
I would assume, though perhaps erroneously, that if you are grown up enough to leave your parental home, raise children or rabbits, surf the internet or even catch an airplane - that you are perfectly capable of picking up your shit and dealing with it responsibly.

If not, perhaps you should phone your parents and let them know you’re coming

I'm also a fan of giving business to cafes and carrying bags to carry used TP. So I apologize for an honest but gross question. Is it really recommended practice to use bags for solid waste and then leave them in municipal bins or dumpsters? Would you have to use a special type of plastic or additive to do that safely? I'm sure I'm missing something important, but it sounds like a potential biohazard... 😳

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm also a fan of giving business to cafes and carrying bags to carry used TP. So I apologize for an honest but gross question. Is it really recommended practice to use bags for solid waste and then leave them in municipal bins or dumpsters? Would you have to use a special type of plastic or additive to do that safely? I'm sure I'm missing something important, but it sounds like a potential biohazard... 😳
Thanks for the question. It’s a good one.
Partially, or worse, un- buried human waste in natural environments is a significant bio-hazard. Pathogens distributed by flies, rainfall run-off into water courses, mammalian & avian scavengers and even the cleats in the soles of your nice new trainers that ends up on every indoor surface you tread on. On every tapa that hasn’t got a lid and in all sorts of places we really don’t want’em.

The stuff that ends up in municipal waste disposal is mostly buried in bio-contained landfill or sorted and incinerated, sometimes in a power generation context.

Neither of those solutions is ideal but, arguably, flushing a pound of shit into our river or coastal water systems using two gallons of purified, chlorinated, water ain’t ideal either. My local beaches have been closed for nearly a month now because the local wastewater disposal systems can’t cope.

The reality is that the 700km long 500 metre wide city that we call the Camino Frances can’t cope with all our crap without a little effort (pardon the pun) on our part.

An edit to add Dog Poo bags are built for the job ( again, please pardon the pun)

I am willing and want clean up the toilet waste, left behind by previous walkers, along the way and leave the place in a better state. Any advice on how to do that ? Anyone has done that ?

Thank you, Tincatinker, for the great info. Living on a polluted river, I totally understand your point about the chemicals released in modern sewage systems. Also having lived in a city with a large homeless population, I've seen the struggles with disposing of literal bags of s**t left in regular bins. I agree that there is no really good solution, sadly. As pilgrims we find the best solution we can as guests. Thanks again for entertaining the question and for giving a wise and broad perspective.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Salty that’s a brave offer. Even the Ditch Pigs strain at that one. If you’re really up for it - strong disposable gloves, at least gauntlet length, a rubbish sack with a support ring so you’re not constantly smearing the sides of the opening, a disposable mask (Covid stylee) and a strong stomach will all come in handy. It’s the rig I use locally cleaning up after the 1% around here that shouldn’t have been allowed to own a dog, and, years ago, after our air show. Thankfully history.
Much as this topic shakes my tree my advice is, don’t. Spend (another pun) your effort on education. Make basic sanitary behaviour your contribution to every random pilgrim discussion group, hand out a few poo-bags.
Unless you have the support and infrastructure of the likes of the Ditch Pigs you are risking your own Camino for the sakes of the irresponsible, incontinent and uncaring.

I am willing and want clean up the toilet waste, left behind by previous walkers, along the way and leave the place in a better state. Any advice on how to do that ? Anyone has done that ?
Contact @Rebekah Scott by PM and offer to join her annual "Ditch Pigs" cleanup, mentioned by @Tincatinker

I agree with those who say this isn't a great project to combine with your Camino. You can, however, easily carry a bag to collect some of the less biodegradeable waste - bottles, cans, paper/ plastic wrappers. There is enough of that to keep you busy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A little bit of tinkle behind an appreciative tree will do little harm and maybe some good. Bagging out your tissues is a given, as it is for those whose nose runs better than their feet in those early hours of the day.
Bagging out those more solid deposits has been standard practice among military forward reconnaissance; protected natural reserve wardens; backpackers worth their salt and 99% of dog walkers in my home town. It’s not as if it’s difficult.
I would assume, though perhaps erroneously, that if you are grown up enough to leave your parental home, raise children or rabbits, surf the internet or even catch an airplane - that you are perfectly capable of picking up your shit and dealing with it responsibly.

Hear, hear!
We pick up dog poo, so what's the big difference? Both are disgusting and worth disposing of in a responsible way.

Sadly I fear we here are the 90-something% who are responsible. So spreading the word along the way (without being preachy or finger-pointy) is as important as walking our talk.

Yes, on @Kanga's post! Most female backpackers carry a "pee rag" while backpacking i.e., just a bandanna tied to the outside of the backpack, which gets un-yucky in the sunshine (I still rinse it at night). This saves carry out, plastic bags, disposal, etc. If you are walking in wilderness areas (or the Camino!), it also saves carrying toilet paper, etc.

When I walked the French Way a few years ago, I always timed the need with cafes, etc. When I walk the Coastal Portuguese last spring, I admit I had to use the woods a couple times (but kept it to the woods, in respect for private property).

Leave no trace principles = never bury anything, even paper. Pack it in, pack it out! I think this is necessary in wilderness, and most definitely when passing folks with private property "hosting" wandering Camino pilgrims. Even paper takes a long time to break down, particularly if there is little moisture.

Last edited:
Tell that to millions of mothers who dispose baby diapers in those bins -- or senior homes who dispose adult diapers, for that matter. You can buy adult disposable diaper bags on Amazon if you need them.

But I don't think the "pooh" is as much a problem as the line of toilet paper that peeing WOMEN leave all along the path! Pick the danged stuff up and carry it out!

It's like women who squat to use the toilet and pee all over the seat.
If you're going to stand up and pee like a man, then lift the seat like a man.

Women can be so gross...

Tell that to millions of mothers who dispose baby diapers in those bins -- or senior homes who dispose adult diapers, for that matter. You can buy adult disposable diaper bags on Amazon if you need them.

But I don't think the "pooh" is as much a problem as the line of toilet paper that peeing WOMEN leave all along the path! Pick the danged stuff up and carry it out!

Women can be so gross...

As a woman I'll agree that we can be just as gross as anyone else... ;)

To be clear, I was less wondering about the obviously distasteful litter along the way. I assume we all care about that and just don't do it - men and women alike. That was a given.

I was more wondering about the most trace-free methods. Burying clearly has problems. Toilets have environmental problems. Bins? I have my doubts about what happens to that waste, even for the mothers and seniors I very much feel for. To my mind it can depend on both the method of disposal and the financial resources of a locality to incinerate/cleanse the trash properly, which falls outside a person's control. The stories can turn out bad - recycling bins being dumped as normal trash into landfills is a recent story that comes to mind, apparently because the price for plastics and metals fell and nobody knew there was an economic driver that negated all their careful efforts at sorting.

I would never say anything bad to moms or senior homes. I just feel bad that people might be in a bad place where they want to do what's right and find it hard to know how. Not careless people or serial litterers...good people who want to do right.

Just like I used to tell my kids before a road trip - it doesn't matter if you feel like you have to go - try, because this is the last stop in X distance.
I am still smiling at the memory of telling my now middle-aged daughters this when we were travelling from Dorset to Scotland when we stopped for the first that needed to go to the toilet. I think we visited every services on the motorway from Bristol to the Scottish border, and turned a 10 hour road trip into a 14 hour horror.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is it really recommended practice to use bags for solid waste and then leave them in municipal bins or dumpsters?
I think this is a really pertinent question. Faeces are not normally handled in the same waste stream as other domestic and industrial waste - they are normally flushed into a sewerage system that results in them being treated quite differently to those other waste streams. In the places where I see dog poo bins, these are also separate from the other waste bins and I presume are collected and disposed of separately from the general waste that comes from parks and gardens. Campgrounds sometimes have separate grey water disposal from waste from chemical toilets, although I have seen the same disposal point used for both.

Most of the local cross country bush-walking and skiing groups where I live require groups to carry a poo-tube if they are not going to be close to campground toilets. These are normally lined with a plastic bag, and waste is wrapped in two or three layers of greaseproof paper (which is acceptable in most sewerage systems). On return, the wrapped waste can be taken to a campground or municipal sewerage treatment point, or flushed at home.

I think an emergency single use kit could be developed from a medium sized zip-loc bag with a few suitable lengths of greaseproof, and perhaps a pair of disposable gloves. The contents could then be disposed of in the next place you stay.

My concern with any of these arrangements is that if someone is so desperate to go that they cannot wait until the next town or village, the result may be something far less easy to handle, wrap and get into a bag. In which case local burial might be the only real option with removal of the TP for disposal later.

No, no, no! Pack out all toilet paper. The path is often rock hard, animals find disturbed earth and dig, the wind blows away topsoil... All toilet paper is "biodegradable" because it is wood based, but it takes about 3 years to decompose....

Bury poo if you get caught short, but carry out the toilet paper. Always carry a small ziplock plastic bag for your waste. Empty and rinse. There are big garbage bins in every town and village....

....And yes - use the toilets in the local cafes - never miss an opportunity! It is what the locals do. But remember it costs money to keep them clean and supply toilet paper, soap etc - so always buy something or make a small monetary donation.
Thank you thank you thank you for all the great pointers. I did the Portuguese Coastal and found the cafes sufficient; except twice when I discovered these "makeshift" toilets.

The ziploc advice us the best I've heard! Thank you! 🙏🏽

I strongly agree on using the cafes and making donations! 💪🏽👏🏽

Women can be so gross...
I wondered who would call out the TP leavers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Never leave any paper in nature! Biodegradable or not. It just does not belong there. In particular where lots of folk travel.
That is why I always carry a roll of dog poop bags with me. Almost zero weight but allows you to collect your paper in a clean way. It even helps with other rubbish you produce or when you find something out there that does not belong there but you have hygiene concerns and hence won't touch it. With these little bags this is no problem.

Yes, carry a ‘dog poop’ bag, use it and carry it to the nearest bin!

I wondered who would call out the TP leavers.
I always do - because it's the truth.
And, these are the women who would call the police and scream bloody murder if someone dropped their drawers and peed in THEIR yard and left paper. You can bet on that. lol!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Women: Get a Kula cloth. Game changer for pee. Readily available, online, REI, etc. I used it for the Camino, hiking, backpacking, etc.

Yes, eventually all Pilgrims will have to pack everything out. It’s only a matter of time.

This method has always worked for me. I'm always baffled by someone who heeds the call of nature while on the Camino when they haven't gotten more than 250 meters out of town.
Then you are very lucky. The time may come, as it did with me, when you don’t have as much control over the frequency or urgency of the call of nature as you would like.

€46,-
Then you are very lucky. The time may come, as it did with me, when you don’t have as much control over the frequency or urgency of the call of nature as you would like.
Read @trecile ‘s comment again, slowly. She is reflecting a real world in which it seems Pilgrims will prefer to take a dump within 5 minutes hike of available facilities rather, presumably, than buy a drink or leave a €1 on the bar. The Ditch Pigs could offer you a thousand examples of beer bottles, Aquarius cans and boccadillo wraps dumped at exactly the consumption distance from the spot they were purchased. And anyway the ruck isn’t about whether you have the bladder or bowel control of an baby, an infant, a teenager or a wrinkly like me. The ruck is about what you do with the mess you just made.
Bag it. Ship it out. No excuses, no “oh but”, no “yuck”, no buts ever. Do it, then do it.

Read @trecile ‘s comment again, slowly. She is reflecting a real world in which it seems Pilgrims will prefer to take a dump within 5 minutes hike of available facilities rather, presumably, than buy a drink or leave a €1 on the bar.
I totally understand the point of the thread and Trecile’s post. I agree with sentiments expressed. I always use bar or cafe facilities and I always purchase something. Trecile was baffled and I was just commenting, maybe my reply didn’t appear as polite as I intended. I can sometimes get one or 2 km down the road and need to go again. In fact it is a matter of some amusement with my daughter. “I need to go to the toilet.“ “Of course you do mama”

I totally understand the point of the thread and Trecile’s post. I agree with sentiments expressed. I always use bar or cafe facilities and I always purchase something. Trecile was baffled and I was just commenting, maybe my reply didn’t appear as polite as I intended. I can sometimes get one or 2 km down the road and need to go again. In fact it is a matter of some amusement with my daughter. “I need to go to the toilet.“ “Of course you do mama”
No offense taken. I did acknowledge with my 🤞that I have been lucky to always to have been able to find a toilet - so far.

I almost didn't make it one day this year on the Portuguese Camino, but I came upon the rustic donativo campsite run by a woman that I met on the Francés in 2017 and her husband. My friend wasn't there, but I asked her husband if there was a toilet that I could use. Yes, there was he told me. They had created composting toilets out of buckets with toilet seats on them in small tents. I was quite literally very relieved!

But, I did have some TP and a baggie in my backpack to carry it out if necessary.
Of course I do carry small plastic bags in case I'm caught out somewhere, but so far I haven't needed to use them. 🤞

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Women can be so gross...
Agree- talking to my husband sometimes I think that the "ladies" room in public places are worse than the mens' room. If you can't bear to sit on the seat at least wipe up your pee. Sorry- its a pet peeve of mine! ;)

Packing out TP may sound gross but it's a lot easier than it seems. It's been the standard in wilderness areas in my part of the US for years now. In some areas, they even give you "blue bags" to carry out your poo because as others have said, it does biodegrade — but only over time — and attracts flies and other pests. This is second nature to me now — we carry a "privy kit" that has everything we need to leave no trace.

You can turn your plastic bag inside out to grab it if that helps. A small vial of hand sanitizer in an accessible part of your pack is your friend.
We need to pick up our dog poo when we walk, why not our own.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We need to pick up our dog poo when we walk, why not our own.
Honestly, there's just NO reason (except for an actual emergency) to poop on the Camino. There are PLENTY of opportunities before you leave the albergue, or in bars along the way. Train your body to go first thing in the morning, then stand in line and do it. Or hold it until you get to a bar. Be sure to BUY something and for crying out loud, don't steal the danged toilet paper from the albergue OR the bar! Buy your own!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How about starting a campaign to provide compost toilets along The Way ( not quite sure how, but it must be possible).

Already discussed here, well at least the idea of toilets in general " on the trail ".
Not practical as someone will have to do the maintenance.In these economical dire times not a priority for many local ayuntamientos I presume.

Last edited:
How about starting a campaign to provide compost toilets along The Way ( not quite sure how, but it must be possible).
I am going to sound somewhat jaded, but we have been there before, and no doubt will do so again. It's a real shame that we expect Spanish communities to pay again for facilities needed to overcome the poor behaviour of some pilgrims.

I am going to sound somewhat jaded, but we have been there before, and no doubt will do so again. It's a real shame that we expect Spanish communities to pay again for facilities needed to overcome the poor behaviour of some pilgrims.
But I meant that ‘we’ should all somehow pay- and sorry for bringing up and old idea ( I’m new) but it obviously hadn’t been resolved!!!

This suggestion has been made before but the discussion had to be closed! This thread describes some of the many challenges facing such a campaign.

The fact that people walk right past establishments that have toilets available, then stop to do their business less than a kilometer later shows that this would probably barely put a dent in the problem.

Besides the toilets you would also have to have signage so that people would know where they could expect to find the toilets.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Compost toilets, I happen to have one, are not at all maintenance free. Especially under "heavy load". In peak season it is quite probable that some of the toilets would be used well above their capacity – the compost process needs time and the system collapses if you feed it faster than it can decompose whatever it is fed.
So I would strongly oppose the idea of compost toilets along the way. It would become very smelly and messy 🤣🙈

But I meant that ‘we’ should all somehow pay- and sorry for bringing up and old idea ( I’m new) but it obviously hadn’t been resolved!!!
You don't have to feel sorry for suggesting solutions, but it always seems odd to me that, innocently perhaps, people seem to think that matters like this haven't previously been raised in the life of this forum.

Earlier discussions have given those involved a better understanding of the many ways Spanish society differs from our own, which are similarly diverse in the ways local infrastructure projects might be capitalised and sustained.

I'm not sure what you think 'hasn't been resolved'. There is a perfectly good protocol for pilgrims to follow. Use toilets in towns such as those in bars and cafes if that is all that is available. If you have to urinate elsewhere, do that a reasonable distance from the path, and if you have to dry yourself with toilet paper, pack it out. If you are caught short between towns and need to pass a stool, it is preferable to pack it up and carry it out. Failing that, the stool needs to be buried, 20 cm deep should be the minimum, and the toilet paper carried out.

There are practical difficulties with any of this. For example, I have long ago given up commenting on packing lists, but if I were to resume doing so, I would be looking for a trowel, toilet paper and spare plastic bags on the list. Not to appear holier than thou on this, but this is a standard inclusion in my bush-walking pack that gets transferred to my pilgrimage pack. It's a complete no-brainer if one is a bush-walker, but those without that background might not think about it when they are preparing for the camino.

Similarly, I have now included visiting the toilet of a bar or cafe as a standard part of the routine when I buy a coffee or other drink. That wasn't so when I first walked the CF back in 2010, and the people I was walking with were more interested in getting back on the road once they had finished their coffee. It takes discipline, but if it isn't done, it is more likely that people will find they need to empty their bladder or bowels somewhere there is no toilet.

More, as members of this forum, we are just a small part of the pilgrim community wherever we are walking or riding. The messages we share here do need to be shared more widely, through pilgrim offices, albergues and anywhere else pilgrims are likely to come together. This could be challenging. Promotional material about this subject isn't likely to be the most appealing thing to have pinned on one's noticeboard!!

Perhaps I am being simplistic as much as jaded. To give it a rather crude colloquial Australia turn of phrase, 'This is our sh.t, and we need to deal with it'. We make it a problem for our Spanish (and other) hosts. We shouldn't. Nor should we be looking for solutions that they will have to pay for when they have already paid for the toilet facilities in the towns and villages, even if we might have to pay for that. It wouldn't be the only place in the world where access to toilets isn't free, as it might be for some of us.

Last edited:
I'm curious why they are an improvement over a plain cotton bandana? Can you share why you think they are a big advantage, Annie?
Well, I held off for a long time because I thought the same.
They are treated with antimicrobial silver, they have a handy little snap so you don't have to dig for them (I guess a safety pin would work as well) - and they're more absorbent, in my opinion. I bought one to put in my van for camping for when I am using my Luggable Loo at night. But in the end, a plain cotton bandana works fine. This just felt more absorbent, like it wasn't just moving the urine around, but actually absorbing it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Composting toilets really only work in areas where they can manage traffic via some type of permitting system, or where the inherent difficulty of the physical challenge to get there necessarily limits traffic.

I do think more could be done to make peregrino/as aware of how to use the toilet outside and leave no trace, such as an information sheet passed out with a Pilgrim's Passport in multiple languages with simple guidelines.

It's not reasonable to expect most pilgrims to know what to do when the nearest open bar is too far away, and there are a lot of myths floating around about how rapidly toilet paper and tissues break down when they're just left trailside.

When I started hiking, I didn't know what to do either but I had lots of resources at my disposal, including a book called — I'm not kidding — How to Shit in the Woods.

This is a debate that often comes up. 🙂
Along with who pays for them?
Who maintains them?
Maybe we have to buy a licence to walk a Camino to fund it all?

Easier option?
Pick up after yourself! 🤔

It's hard to legislate, or regulate, merely to mitigate selfish behaviour :oops:

Maybe instigate a 250 Euro on the spot fine for anyone caught littering 🙂

Just fine a few now and again, and the word will soon get around!

The cops could hide behind bushes like they do with speed cameras :cool:
Or just hang out near the rest area on the 17 km stretch out of Carrion!

Last edited:
Compost toilets, I happen to have one, are not at all maintenance free. Especially under "heavy load". In peak season it is quite probable that some of the toilets would be used well above their capacity – the compost process needs time and the system collapses if you feed it faster than it can decompose whatever it is fed.
So I would strongly oppose the idea of compost toilets along the way. It would become very smelly and messy 🤣🙈

Yes, I don't think people understand the principles involved in composting or long drop toilets. They are very fussy about what goes in and how much. It only takes a few people to drop in some plastic rubbish or to overload the system. We have long drop toilets in Australia in some national parks and beside highways, but they are (a) regularly serviced and maintained (cost comes out of park fees or national highways budgets, not something we could expect of the Spanish) and (b) there is not much usage pressure. I cannot see how they would be workable with over 350,000 people every year walking the Camino Francés.

I recall one small village on the Camino Francés trialled a port-a-loo on the outskirts of town. In spite of clear instructions on the door, it was quickly clogged with toilet paper, and filled with plastic and other rubbish. It took a very short time for it to become a stinking, overflowing, health hazard, with raw sewerage seeping over the floor and out the door, and had to be permanently removed.

Last edited:
I'm curious why they are an improvement over a plain cotton bandana? Can you share why you think they are a big advantage, Annie?
I like the Kula cloth because they get me completely dry, they are two-sided so my hand never gets wet, they are infused with silver so they don't smell, you can use it more than once a day, they wash easily and dry quickly, two corners snap together so that the used part is on the inside of what becomes a triangle, they hang conveniently from your pack with a provided tiny lightweight carabiner, they are cute (lots of patterns), and when people ask you what it is (if they even notice it hanging from your pack), you can spread the word about how nice they are and how they are environmentally friendly (no toilet paper/plastic bag system). I hike/fish a lot and have been using mine for the past several years. Game-changer for me. Big improvement over a cotton bandana. Only downside is the $20 initial cost.

I like the Kula cloth because they get me completely dry, they are two-sided so my hand never gets wet, they are infused with silver so they don't smell, you can use it more than once a day, they wash easily and dry quickly, two corners snap together so that the used part is on the inside of what becomes a triangle, they hang conveniently from your pack with a provided tiny lightweight carabiner, they are cute (lots of patterns), and when people ask you what it is (if they even notice it hanging from your pack), you can spread the word about how nice they are and how they are environmentally friendly (no toilet paper/plastic bag system). I hike/fish a lot and have been using mine for the past several years. Game-changer for me. Big improvement over a cotton bandana. Only downside is the $20 initial cost.
A great review!

Composting toilets really only work in areas where they can manage traffic via some type of permitting system, or where the inherent difficulty of the physical challenge to get there necessarily limits traffic.

I do think more could be done to make peregrino/as aware of how to use the toilet outside and leave no trace, such as an information sheet passed out with a Pilgrim's Passport in multiple languages with simple guidelines.

It's not reasonable to expect most pilgrims to know what to do when the nearest open bar is too far away, and there are a lot of myths floating around about how rapidly toilet paper and tissues break down when they're just left trailside.

When I started hiking, I didn't know what to do either but I had lots of resources at my disposal, including a book called — I'm not kidding — How to Shit in the Woods.
How about more of these? ( which ‘we’ could pay for)

Attachments

• 1663784873362.jpeg
    1663784873362.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
I generally concur - although I would suggest having a "dirty" baggie (ziplock or something) to dispose of your toilet paper in until you get to a trash receptacle.

Or just drip dry. I don't love doing this - but I also don't love people burying toilet paper (because it often comes back up), and I don't love carrying pee rags. The way I see it - I will be taking a shower and doing laundry as soon as I get to an albergue - so it doesn't matter if I get a couple drops of pee on my panties. I only wear panties that don't retain odors and dry very quickly anyway. They usually only feel "damp" for a couple minutes. I do carry TP and a baggie in case I have an emergency where I can't make it to a toilet for a bowel movement. I try REALLY hard to avoid that kind of situation on the Camino - but 1 day I did have a need that came on very suddenly and very far from any town. Thank goodness it was 1 episode and not several. But I was able to make it somewhere that wasn't right by the trail and bury the human waste (and carried the toilet paper waste to a receptacle).

Anyhow - most days you can plan around stopping in bars and making a purchase and using their toilets. If you can - that is the way to go. When you can't - pack it out! (but bury the human feces).

Coming back to roughly where this thread started; the topic is one of those raised from time to time which seems to suppose that the route through a mixture of villages, suburbs and cities in northern Spain is on a different planet where nothing is familiar and so everything must be assumed to be different.

I often walk through villages, suburbs and cities in the UK and from the age of about six have never felt the need to ask anyone what the basic principles and conventions might be with respect to relieving myself. Henry the (actual) dog figured out for himself aged nine weeks that he shouldn’t crap in the house. I may regard him as the brains behind our partnership; but he is only a dog - it can’t be that difficult.

I generally applaud the ‘house style’ on here of politeness, civility and openness as it creates something of an oasis of calm; but it can’t be just me who looks at some of our topics with a sense of despair from time to time.

Coming back to roughly where this thread started; the topic is one of those raised from time to time which seems to suppose that the route through a mixture of villages, suburbs and cities in northern Spain is on a different planet where nothing is familiar and so everything must be assumed to be different.

I often walk through villages, suburbs and cities in the UK and from the age of about six have never felt the need to ask anyone what the basic principles and conventions might be with respect to relieving myself. Henry the (actual) dog figured out for himself aged nine weeks that he shouldn’t crap in the house. I may regard him as the brains behind our partnership; but he is only a dog - it can’t be that difficult.

I generally applaud the ‘house style’ on here of politeness, civility and openness as it creates something of an oasis of calm; but it can’t be just me who looks at some of our topics with a sense of despair from time to time.
So true and probably the post most insightful post I have read on here. Not sure why folks think a 1000km jaunt through Northern Spain requires all sorts of questions re using the bathroom, drying clothes, overtaking, etc and is any different to any other journey. One person even suggested doing a ‘trial run’ European trip so you can learn and be ready for a Camino! Initially I wondered if North American folks think we are all neanderthal in Europe with no toilets, running water, public transport, and internet.. but convinced it’s not that! It’s very unique and entertaining though!

I wondered if North American folks think we are all neanderthal in Europe with no toilets, running water, public transport, and internet.. but convinced it’s not that! It’s very unique and entertaining though!
Speaking as a norteamericana, we tend to have the extremes: either you're walking on an urban trail with lots of services, public toilets, etc or walking in wilderness where the traffic is too low to matter, and it's easy to get far enough off trail that even the worst habits aren't that visible.

So yes, we probably don't have as much experience walking through pastures, vineyards or wheat fields where we have to think about the impact of our toileting habits.

And you just have to look at the places beside the trail to see that it's a problem and I don't think it's only norteamericanos who don't seem to know what to do!

Hmmm I’m currently on the Camino Portuguese and this is what I do/ have done.

I have a sluggish digestive system, always have I guess I always will. Please no advice on how to be regular, tried every trick in the book.

I have been caught short because nature doesn’t call on me in the morning. If I’m in a populated area, a cafe, I buy a coffee, have a polite sip then run to the loo.

Unfortunately, the times I needed it, there was no cafes or no open cafes. I instead approached the hostels along the way. It’s a bit hit or miss with this one, one very famous and well regarded place which will remain nameless, almost turned me away and then changed their mind.

One hostel was closed but a door was open, I popped my head in to find someone, couldn’t see anyone, found the loo, did my business and left. I’m surprised no one has mentioned this, do you not think it a good option? I would think that the accommodation catering for pilgrims would prefer the poo went down their toilet rather than under a bush near to them.

And please why on earth are there so many Albergues with toilets without toilet seats?! And do you sit on the loo without a toilet seat? Seriously, it freaks me out as well as being cold! I sat on mine at home once without realising, middle of the night, no lights and dearest hubby didn’t put the seat back down. I felt like I was going to fall in!

If I need a number one I just drop, squat, shake and carry on. No TP no special toilet cloth. Off the path, yes always off the path!

Minor quibble. I haven't seen the statistics on every year, but in the biggest one of the five or more I looked at, the total was a little less than that, and only a quarter of them were on Francés. Last year was less than 150 thousand total, but the Covid fears are not completely gone yet.

Minor quibble. I haven't seen the statistics on every year, but in the biggest one of the five or more I looked at, the total was a little less than that, and only a quarter of them were on Francés. Last year was less than 150 thousand total, but the Covid fears are not completely gone yet.

The current year (2022) has broken all records for the number of Compostela issued. As of today more than 430,000.

Screenshot_20221119-103711.png

€83,-
Honestly, there's just NO reason (except for an actual emergency) to poop on the Camino. There are PLENTY of opportunities before you leave the albergue, or in bars along the way. Train your body to go first thing in the morning, then stand in line and do it. Or hold it until you get to a bar. Be sure to BUY something and for crying out loud, don't steal the danged toilet paper from the albergue OR the bar! Buy your own!
While I pee first thing in the morning, it takes me moving for about an hour before my body wants to poop. How in the world do you "train" your body to poop first thing? I'm planning on bringing dog poop bags and dumping the contents and any tp I might use in the next toilet I stop at. Of course paying the bar or albergue for use of their toilet.

I think quite often topics that consider bodily functions of the human animal attract i lot of interest!
Most people will always try and show respect for where they are and for the people who live there.

However for example on the Camino; even if only a minority spoil the environment it's still a mess when over 400000 walk the trail!
For every hundred that care there are those that don't cos it's to much trouble!
That's the nature of the beast,
If you could improve toilet facilities for all there will still be someone who would poo next to it!!!

I live in a place where the majority are good ;but the few spoil it for all.
Working my Guide dog I come across upturned supermarket trolleys, kick beer cans and tread in mess from other people who are to lazy to pick up after their dog!

Two incidents' in the last few weeks
the first some a*rse launched a bottle out of a moving car which smashed a few feet in front of my boy(Yankee)
The second went in the toilets in Morrisons supermarket and someone had defecated in the sink !

My point is no matter how much effort the majority of us do our best to improve things those few will screw it up ALWAYS cos they just don't care.
Woody

Would
I think quite often topics that consider bodily functions of the human animal attract i lot of interest!
Most people will always try and show respect for where they are and for the people who live there.

However for example on the Camino; even if only a minority spoil the environment it's still a mess when over 400000 walk the trail!
For every hundred that care there are those that don't cos it's to much trouble!
That's the nature of the beast,
If you could improve toilet facilities for all there will still be someone who would poo next to it!!!

I live in a place where the majority are good ;but the few spoil it for all.
Working my Guide dog I come across upturned supermarket trolleys, kick beer cans and tread in mess from other people who are to lazy to pick up after their dog!

Two incidents' in the last few weeks
the first some a*rse launched a bottle out of a moving car which smashed a few feet in front of my boy(Yankee)
The second went in the toilets in Morrisons supermarket and someone had defecated in the sink !

My point is no matter how much effort the majority of us do our best to improve things those few will screw it up ALWAYS cos they just don't care.
Woody
All of this is true. At Mrs Henrythedogs insistence we confine our shopping to Booths (the Waitrose of the North) for many reasons, to which I can now add that the customers don’t shit in the sinks.

Last edited:
While I pee first thing in the morning, it takes me moving for about an hour before my body wants to poop. How in the world do you "train" your body to poop first thing? I'm planning on bringing dog poop bags and dumping the contents and any tp I might use in the next toilet I stop at. Of course paying the bar or albergue for use of their toilet.
There are lots of towns along the way - I've always been able to be near/in one when I really need a toilet. I normally walk a couple of hours before I take my first break in a town with a bar/cafe.

Dog poo bags I would think would work. 🤔

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The current year (2022) has broken all records for the number of Compostela issued. As of today more than 430,000.
WOW! Guess the Covid moratorium is finally over for real!

€46,-
I have a sluggish digestive system, always have I guess I always will. Please no advice on how to be regular, tried every trick in the book.
No advice on that, but just in case you've not had glucose tolerance tested, one possible result of diabetes is gastroparesis, aka "sluggish digestive system."

I took small dog waste bags to keep used toilet paper in until I could get to the next waste receptacle. It was discouraging to see how many people left their toilet paper on the ground.
I carried a roll of doggie bags, too, as well as a Kula cloth and a pack of outdoor wipes. Tried the pee funnel and hated it. I’m also in agreement with those who recommend carrying out and disposing of your “waste.”

This is me exactly and I totally agree, how do you ‘train’? It takes an hour of walking to get things moving for me, and once they are on the move I need to go now! No amount of sitting on the loo and straining will produce results, and is medically inadvisable anyway. We just all need to do the right thing according to our individual circumstances.

Gosh, please be a little less baffled. I’ve had the tiniest bladder all my life and sometimes need to go 250 yards down the road after having just been. Nothing I can do about the way I was born, and yes I’ve had it looked at. A little more sympathy please.

Gosh, please be a little less baffled. I’ve had the tiniest bladder all my life and sometimes need to go 250 yards down the road after having just been. Nothing I can do about the way I was born, and yes I’ve had it looked at. A little more sympathy please.
I agree, a little more understanding from some on this thread would be appreciated

I agree, a little more understanding from some on this thread would be appreciated
The being baffled by others' digestive/urinary tracts is a side issue. The thread has one main message - do not leave litter - paper or feces - on or near the trail, whether you need to relieve yourself 100 times/day or never.

The being baffled by others' digestive/urinary tracts is a side issue. The thread has one main message - do not leave litter - paper or feces - on or near the trail, whether you need to relieve yourself 100 times/day or never.
I wouldn’t dream of leaving anything behind as I don’t in my raining walks but to me the bladder issue is not a side issue and it’s been the bane of my life. Let’s not brush that aside either. Thank you

Oh, I am not brushing it aside as unimportant. All of us need to manage the same issue. I am only saying that people on this thread have not intended to be critical or dismissive of the need to go. They are focused on how to do it responsibly.
Ok well obviously I have misunderstood the word baffled. I also hadn’t really understood that everyone has tiny bladders like me. My bad as they say

Ok well obviously I have misunderstood the word baffled. I also hadn’t really understood that everyone has tiny bladders like me. My bad as they say
Welcome to the forum @ditts! The best we can do on an internet forum is to try to be straightforward and considerate with our words.

If you read through this recent thread, you will see how difficult communication can be, yet how important. I was trying (unsuccessfully, it seems) to smooth out the situation where someone was offended by another person's words that were perhaps careless but well meaning.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Apologies for those with delicate constitutions- but I need to know this. What if you’re on the meseta and really need to pee - but landscape is sparse???? And what if you get a tummy upset and you get a bit of diarrhoea along the way? Please be kind - genuine things that are worrying me!! How do you pack up behind yourself in toileting situations??? I guess it is like walking the dog,

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back