• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for Warm and Comfortable Shoes in Town during October

BabzHikes

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
Any tips on what you'd recommend for "town shoes" in October? I'm wearing Hoka Trail Runners, and was going to bring my Hoka Recovery slides for the shower and town, but I really think my feet are going to freeze if it gets into the 50's at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I actually wear Crocs in the winter. clogs in the winter and sandals in the summer. You can wear them in the shower and around town...
crocs

I actually wear Crocs in the winter. clogs in the winter and sandals in the summer. You can wear them in the shower and around town...
crocs
I'm laughing...I have Crocs. They just aren't the clog style...who knew 🤣🤣
BRILLIANT, Thank you!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Any tips on what you'd recommend for "town shoes" in October? I'm wearing Hoka Trail Runners, and was going to bring my Hoka Recovery slides for the shower and town, but I really think my feet are going to freeze if it gets into the 50's at night.
I would probably wear the slides around the albergue and the trail runners around town.

I bring a hiking sandal. I prefer Tevas or Xero sandals (Tevas have more cushion). If it is cold out - I just wear socks with them. Heck - on the Camino - I usually wear socks with them. Not a good fashion statement at home, but on the Camino comfort trumps fashion. The only time I wouldn't wear sandals is in snow... in the snow I would stick to my hiking shoes outdoors and wear my sandals in the albergues.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Crocs are light-weight, can be worn with socks, and will keep out the rain unless you step in a puddle. However, since they are not good for one's feet, according to more than one podiatrist, they cannot be called"recovery shoes". Similar looking to Crocs (clunky, unfashionable) are OOFOS. They were highly recommended by our podiatrist because they have a high arch. (That doesn't mean they will be perfect for all types of feet.) Our feet have loved them in the afternoons after a day a walking .. for the past six Caminos. We could not imagine leaving them behind.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd recommend the Birkenstock EVA (foam) version (or a similar dupe from Amazon). They're so light, comfortable, and could be worn in the shower or with wool socks on cooler nights around town. Not the most stylish look, but style goes out the window around Roncesvalles. ;)

crocs
Another vote for Crocs. Lightweight, work as shower shoes as well. In 2015 when I had bad blister issues with my boots, I actually did full days walking in them until I hit a big enough town to buy other walking shoes.Camino - Spain - April - 2015 186.jpg

Last edited:
I wear Toms. They are super comfortable and super light. The company also has a fantastic policy that for every pair they sell they give a pair away to someone in need. It is great to support this company.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been on various Camino since Dec 8th. I have been recognised from behind by my "town" shoes. North face, warm and cosy. Wear as shoes (See left foot) or as slip ons (See right foot) to go to and fro at night in the dark!

Attachments

• 20230111_162654.jpg
    10.1 MB · Views: 169
Before I walked my first Camino many years ago, my chiropractor asked to see the shoes I planned to wear after arriving at the days' destination. At my next appointment, I showed him my Ecco walking sandals, which he approved. He said that the shoes or sandals that you wear after walking in boots all day should provide good compression and support to your feet, otherwise you may experience problems.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had light sports style sandals for the end of the day, I think they are Tevas. If it was cold I wore socks with them, because that is what the Camino fashionistas wear!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Birkenstock foam sandals? I carry a pair of Birkenstock EVA slides 7.9oz 223g I think crocs are mostly too heavy. I haven't found anything lighter I want to carry.

not a lot more than a pair of cheap lightweight flip-flop and more versatile

I just weighed my pair of Hoka recovery slides (size 10) and 13.3oz / 377g

total pack weight for February walk is 9.2lbs / 4.1kg

https://www.birkenstock.com/us/barbados/barbados-eva-eva-0-eva-u_3974.html

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
crocs
These Croc clogs may be lightweight, but far to clunky in shape to put in my backpack or try to hang on the outside since there is nowhere to loop them if walking. If you are staying in the same location in winter to volunteer as a hospi, I'm sure they are very suitable.

These Croc clogs may be lightweight, but far to clunky in shape to put in my backpack or try to hang on the outside since there is nowhere to loop them if walking. If you are staying in the same location in winter to volunteer as a hospi, I'm sure they are very suitable.
Mine have a little hole in them so you can attach a shoelace or string to hang them on my pack. Maybe an older model, but they have a "Day of the Dead" decoration pattern and I got them on sale before I went to Granon to serve. Often I just shove them in in my water bottle pockets which are large. These are my "winter" crocs. My summer ones are sandals.

~18 ounces. I have some Oofos that might be a little lighter, but I have not weighed them.
You own something that you haven’t weighed? I’m disappointed.

(I’d insert the emoji which indicates that I’m being friendly and not making even a vaguely critical comment, but I haven’t a clue which one it is).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just put my walking shoes back on before I wander about, especially the bigger cities like Pamplona, Burgos etc. I also wash my walking shoes every chance I get when it's warm and sunny and they'll dry fast. Really no sense in letting them stay smelly and dirty and washing out the dirt and sweat helps maintain the shoes

And therein lies the problem. Has anyone ever replied to you with an aubergine (eggplant) I might ask? It’s a total minefield.
Not on this forum. 😅

I just think of what expression might be on my face if I were talking to someone face to face and try for something close to that.

As this is an international forum humor can sometimes get lost in the translation, so I think that a friendly (but not eggplant friendly 😂) emoji can help to set the appropriate tone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You own something that you haven’t weighed? I’m disappointed.

(I’d insert the emoji which indicates that I’m being friendly and not making even a vaguely critical comment, but I haven’t a clue which one it is).
OMG what happened to us that we have to explain ourselves like this?🤔 (gratuitous emoji) Take me back to the day when you could talk a little trash without being offended and have fun! 🤣

OMG what happened to us that we have to explain ourselves like this?🤔 (gratuitous emoji) Take me back to the day when you could talk a little trash without being offended and have fun! 🤣
Indeed, you’re right. I’m not sure it was on here but I recall someone recently feeling they had to explain themselves further because someone had replied to their post with a ‘laughing’ emoji. We really need to move on from the presumption that there is offence in everything.

If I wanted to offend someone, I’m fairly sure I would do it in such a way which required virtually no interpretation whatsoever. Otherwise it’s either me being crass or the other party being more sensitive that I have imagined possible.

I wear Hoka Speedgoat 5 during the day......and Hoka Speedgoat 5 (the same) in the evenings.
Town shoes? What for, dead weight. (For the showers, light flip-flops.)
Exactly....I try and make sure everything I carry has more than one purpose. A pair of town shoes doesn't. Rubber flip flops do, you can shower in them and wear them around until you put your regular shoes back on to roam about. Hiking shoes also town shoes. If you're not going anywhere far just wear the flip flops.

Crocs are light-weight, can be worn with socks, and will keep out the rain unless you step in a puddle. However, since they are not good for one's feet, according to more than one podiatrist, they cannot be called"recovery shoes". Similar looking to Crocs (clunky, unfashionable) are OOFOS. They were highly recommended by our podiatrist because they have a high arch. (That doesn't mean they will be perfect for all types of feet.) Our feet have loved them in the afternoons after a day a walking .. for the past six Caminos. We could not imagine leaving them behind.
I'm going to do more research into Oofos. Thank you! I suffer from plantar fasciitis from time to time, and Hokas seem to be the only thing I can use here in Maine while hiking.

I prefer very lightweight slip in sandals instead of flip flops because I walk in the spring and it is often chilly at night going to dinner, so I sometimes will add socks. I don't like putting my hiking shoes back on after showering.
So, for "slip in" sandals, do you use a certain brand?

Exactly....I try and make sure everything I carry has more than one purpose. A pair of town shoes doesn't. Rubber flip flops do, you can shower in them and wear them around until you put your regular shoes back on to roam about. Hiking shoes also town shoes. If you're not going anywhere far just wear the flip flops.
Right. Thank you. I'm not planning on carrying 3 pair of shoes. I will have my trail runners and a "shower/town" shoe. My biggest concern was the temperature in the evening. I will just be prepared and bring socks and wear them. I know on the Appalachian Trail, I used Crocs. The AT and Camino are two different animals in many ways.

Having said that we love our OOFOS clogs for recovery shoes, for the daily hike, my wife and I have settled on HOKA sneakers (Currently, the SpeedGoat model), with additional arch support inserts. Our favorite insert is POWER-STEP, which is more firm than SUPERFEET, our 2nd favorite. As for the sneakers versus boots, we used to think that we needed protection from the rain, but most sneakers dry out so quickly (provided that we stuff them twice in the afternoon and evening with dry newspaper) that we are not concerned about rain. The insoles for arch support are necessary for the same reason that we choose the OOFOS - When we were young, we could wear anything. Even CROCS would have been fine, but after age 60, most people find that one's foot arches need support. That probably why younger hikers can tolerate the CROCS.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

My walking shoes are the only footwear I bring. However, I do bring a second set of insoles which are usually the pair of insoles that come with the footwear. My 'walking' insoles are a third party insole.

At the end of the day, I remove the walking insoles and wipe out the inside of my footwear to remove any possible excess moisture. I set aside the walking insoles then stuff the inside of my shoes tightly with toilet paper or paper towels, and then I go shower.

After showering I slather my feet with alcohol or alcohol based hand sanitizer like 'Purell'. After letting the alcohol dry itself, I apply a bit of a hike goo or a vaseline product and gently massage it into the skin. . .. If you need to deal with a blister requiring any type of adhesive dressing do not get goop on that area of the skin as any goop will keep the adhesive of a dressing like moleskin or tapes from properly adhering to the skin around the blister.
I'll eat a bit of a snack, lay down and rest a bit to catch my breath, think about the day's walk, and to assess where I want to walk to the next day. After that short laydown, remove the stuffing from inside the shoe. By that time, with non-gortex shoes, any moisture has been dried out; if it has been raining while I walk, then perhaps a bit of minor dampness left. That is no big deal to me.
I'll grab a fresh pair of socks (I use merino wool socks), I put in the dry, extra insoles and then put on my footwear to do chores and roam around the town and grab dinner later. By the time I am ready for bed, I find that the heat from my feet and the walking have pretty much dried out the footwear enough so that by morning any residual dampness will be gone for the new day's walk.

You might look into OOfos. They are AMAZING recovery shoes and have several styles. I plan to use their clogs w/ socks if needed this fall.

Oofos is the best answer. Especially if you are old like me. Wool socks if it is cold and you can use them for a break in the day if you feet are tired. They were designed for marathon runner recovery.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.