• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for Wide Hiking Shoes?

HallOfFreedom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés April 26, 2016
I'm having trouble finding high quality hiking shoes that would actually fit my 8 1/2 6E feet. Can any guys suggest a good source?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've got duck feet, too. Have you tried Keens? They worked for me.
[Edit, don't know where you are. REI, Zappos, and the New Balance website, etc. have lots of selection online. You have time. To do it right. No good shoes, no good Camino.;)
BTW, this year I gave up on boots and used hiking shoes. Unless you have ankle issues, they're fine for the Camino with lots of advantages: to start with they're lighter and much easier on the ankles and feet.]

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have very wide feet and I have been walking in New Balance trail runners for years. You can get them on a wide shoe last. Here is an old post on my blog about shoes. There are newer posts, if you poke around: http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/gear-up-for-walking-camino-santiago.html

This post explains the shoe lasts:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2014/09/new-balance-ww1069br.html

New Balance changes their shoe lasts every few years and I'm not sure what they're selling this year - since I"m not walking - but I find their shoes to be perfect!

Lowa Renegade is my favorite model for my wide feet. Buen Camino! SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have the same problem and would recommend Treksta. Incredibly comfortable and wide, but need to get them a size bigger than normal. Worst for wide feet have to be Berghaus.

I wear a 8 1/2 3e and got a good fit with Cherokee "Apache" 6" laceups. I recommend them. Wore them LePuy to Santiago, no blisters. Back home, they are my favorite shoes for daily wear and cheaper than Redwings ( which go up to width "H"!).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm having trouble finding high quality hiking shoes that would actually fit my 8 1/2 6E feet. Can any guys suggest a good source?
Can't be certain about men's boots but I wear Berghaus Explorer Lights and they are super wide... Love em. :)

I have very wide feet and I have been walking in New Balance trail runners for years. You can get them on a wide shoe last. Here is an old post on my blog about shoes. There are newer posts, if you poke around: http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/gear-up-for-walking-camino-santiago.html

This post explains the shoe lasts:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2014/09/new-balance-ww1069br.html

New Balance changes their shoe lasts every few years and I'm not sure what they're selling this year - since I"m not walking - but I find their shoes to be perfect!

Annie, back in September you wrote in your blog about buying the New Balance 1069, I wondered how you got on with them. Is the sizing the same as you were used to? I'm wondering about buying a pair, and will have to buy off the internet as no one local to me stocks them. Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Merrell make a wide version of the Moab. Shoe and mid boot available in plain and waterproof versions.
Was in an outdoor store the other day and tried out a pair of wide Moabs. Definitely a wider toe box and I think would work better for me as well and a bit more room if you put in an after-market insole.

Michael,

The important thing is that you are asking this question here in the US (or wherever you are), because I had to do this along the Way and could never find wide-sized shoes.

If you are walking anytime other than extreme shoulder seasons, I would go for Keen sandals. I always re-do the lacing system in mine to take the laces out of the toe box section. When I do that, the sides of the sandals are very flexible and will accommodate my 11.5 6E feet.

I have yet to find any running shoes or trial shoes that are wide enough (I would take both sandals and some shoe like this). I actually bought some Merrell trail shoes in Leon that were wide enough, but I have no idea what model they are (and the soles were a little thin). They worked, but if I had it to do again, I'd replace them with shoes designed for running or walking on concrete/asphalt. I have Drew hiking boots for backpacking in the mountains, but they would be way too hot for anything other than a very shoulder-season Camino.

If you find some sort of trial or running shoes that work, please post your solution. I'm still looking.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Keens run wide but their industrial shoes come in extra wide, andmany of them are just like the hiking boots. You might have to order them but I was able togo a whole size smaller

I wear a 8 1/2 3e and got a good fit with Cherokee "Apache" 6" laceups. I recommend them. Wore them LePuy to Santiago, no blisters. Back home, they are my favorite shoes for daily wear and cheaper than Redwings ( which go up to width "H"!).
Oops- my mistake! The brand is Chippewa "Apache" (not Cherokee!). Good boots.

Keens run wide but their industrial shoes come in extra wide, andmany of them are just like the hiking boots. You might have to order them but I was able togo a whole size smaller

As an owner of a pair of Keen steel-toe boots, I second this. Their work boots run very wide.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Update: I found a pair of running shoes the have enough ventilation for a summer camino. Apex V551. Up to a 4E, which was wide enough for me (had to replace the insoles, as usual). I'm taking then to Italy for a Florence to Assisi pilgrimage this summer. I'll update how they worked.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have wide feet, and bought a pair of women's New Balance 1080V5's in wide. They are extremely comfortable and have great tread, plus dry quickly (I know this because I hiked up a muddy, slippery mountain trail in them yesterday.) I live in the country without many shoe stores nearby, so I used the online store Zappos and tried multiple pairs and sizes, since they offer free returns.

My husband started the Norte in Merrell Moab Ventilators in the wide. He had problems, so cut holes in the side of the toes. He then bought cheap sandals. They weren't very good, but by wearing them alternatively with the disfigured Moabs he managed. Now, if he'd just taken my advice at the beginning.....

Hi Kanga, and Happy New Year.
What brand of sandals do you recommend for this bloke?
And where do you buy those waterproof sealskin? socks you use?
TIA
Regards
Gerard

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.