• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions needed for Plan B walk in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelerine

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Another one, year after year...
Hello!
For months now I have been planning and booking the walk from Mondonedo to Santiago starting on April 11, with my three children and their spouses and seven grandchildren - their present for my 80th birthday. Now Spain is going into lockdown. It looks highly unlikely that we will be able to do this camino.

It was quite difficult to find the dates to fit everybody in. So since my daughters are living in the UK and my son can come from Germany by car, and I can come from France on foot by ferry, keeping the necessary distance from fellow travellers, one of my daughters had the idea why not walk in the UK.

The only walks I have been on in the UK are a part of the coast path in Wales and part of the Pennine Way. Can anybody suggest a walk which does not take more than a week and where we can find the necessary accommodation?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One suggestion for you is to look into The Dales Way. I walked it back in 2010 and really enjoyed it (although it poured rain most of the time). If I remember correctly, it took me 7 days of walking. I also recall a couple of uphill sections, but nothing too daunting. There is not a lot of accommodation along the way, but if you plan it (and book it) you can find B&Bs and pubs. I don't know about "pilgrim" type accommodation. I may go back one day to see what it looks like without the fog and rain. This is just one suggestion. There are many beautiful trails in the UK.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There certainly are many trails in the UK. I am still "working" my way through the thread Northern Light suggested. Thank you for your suggestion. Maybe in April it is likely to rain and fog too?

Cumbrian way? Might see u on there as both my caminos now cancelled good luck and be safe wherever you walk

Thank you! Good luck to you too. Is the Cumbrian Way where your are going to walk? Our camino has not been cancelled yet, but is likely.....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The British Pilgrimage Trust website has a map (bottom of page) with many routes marked. Click on the 'pins' to see the start/end of a route and some details. The route from Finchale counts towards the Camino Inglés from A Coruna - pin is by the M of Middlesborough

Hi Pelerine

Im in the north of the UK so the cumbrian way is fairly close its a route that ive run on a few times its very scenic so its a thought.its not the Camino though, sadly .Also the Lake district has all those Lakes for a reason , i was doing Via de la Plata Seville to salamanca this year and 10 days on the Norte from Irun later on . I like Cumbria but its not got the same infrastructure or sense of purpose as a camino.
What about you thoughts ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Steve,
I am still copying the many suggestions in the thread NorthernLight has pointed out to me. Then I will send it all to the "children", one daughter in Nottingham; they do a fair amount of walking - Peak District certainly, Cumbria I do not know. Will see what the family says. After the disappointment of seeing the original plans scrapped I am getting quite excited now that we will be able to do something together. Will see about accommodation - we are 14 after all!

Hi @pelerine Instead of the well known, long distance paths, many of which are in wilder areas and where it can sometimes be difficult to find accommodation nearby. Why not create your own route by connecting accommodation and places of interest by using the huge network of footpaths and quiet roads that the UK has.

UK Footpath map

EDIT to add.
There is also a huge network of canal towpaths

Canal towpath

Last edited:
Isle of Wight..has loads of well signed paths and accommodation. Or how about walking on Jersey or Guernsey

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm reluctant to throw the wet blanket but there is every likelihood that the Corona virus situation in the UK is no different to Italy or Spain - just a couple of weeks behind on the curve. Advice from so many authoritative sources now is "stay home", "avoid travel", "avoid assemblies and group events".

Things are going to get much nastier before they start to get better.

Thank you for the wet blanket, Tincatinker!

After long talks with my children last night we have come to the comclusion that we stay at home and try to set up something later.

I am very grateful all the same for the many suggestions received on this thread. Have a fat folder now which can be consulted by the tribe once we get going again.

I think this thread has served its purpose and should be shut down. Lockdown for a thread? How to go about it, Tincatinker?

And just before the lockdown, thank you all for your help!

Hadrian´s Wall path

Attachments

• 83ABE416-01C4-42AF-8259-8633656D38FD.jpeg
    83ABE416-01C4-42AF-8259-8633656D38FD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.