• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

suggestions please

karen stowell

Time of past OR future Camino
walked first three days of santiago. hope to finish next year. but wanting to walk and ride.
hi. if i only have 14 days which sections would you recommend.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Karen .. good question but the answer (there is no real answer by the way) depends on a number of things - one is where do you live? If it is in Europe then the Camino is easy to get to, if not then it is expensive and if coming from far away there is that jet-lag time to consider.
Then there is "is this a one-off?" - if it is, do you want a Compostela? Then start ten days out from Santiago. If you will be returning in future years and have the funds and time to do that then start at "the beginning" of the Camino - I know, there isn't a beginning .. but the classic is St Jean to Santiago so you could start at St Jean and walk until you need to go home and return to that same point next year and move onwards.

If you are thinking of doing a couple of days here and there and jumping the gaps .. well, you could do that, but you would miss an awful lot .. what happens along Camino is that you end up more or less with a set of pilgrims who started the same day as you - jump ahead a few times and you will never make the connections, you will always be the new person - and you will lose a lot. Like changing schools every couple of days.
You do mention "which sections" so you may be thinking of that ... to me it isn't a good idea, but then, it is your Camino, not mine.
Then there is "what do you like?"- deep green hilly, often wet terrain - go to Galicia and walk to Santiago (start at Ponferrada perhaps).
Starting something new by climbing up out of one country and descending into Spain? Walk from St Jean.
The feeling of the medieval? big skies? Huge open spaces, not quite flat but gently folding? Dusty earth coloured villages rising up in the distance with sleeping dogs in the heat? Then walk the Meseta - Burgos to Leon.

You could even start in France and end in St Jean - beautiful soft country in France, but not many pilgrims so if you want the mass of pilgrims moving feelings then Spain is the place.

Oh! So many possibilities!!! Enjoy the planning!!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
100% agree
I've been walking the Camino from Le Puy to Cahors in september. It's fantastic!
I recommend you the Célé Valley option. It's beautiful!

Great info. We are coming from Australia. We completed Francis last year and loved it. We rode the meseta in 2 days and walked the rest. We would love to walk all of le Puy. We are able to walk 30-35kms a day it also depends on accomodation availability. We are in early days of planning. Thank you so much for your help.

Ah - apologies Karen, didn't realise you had walked before - ignore everything I wrote above!
Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Start in Le Puy and walk to Figeac (further if you can do 25Km+ per day). The countryside is quite beautiful for most of this walk. And you get to see/pass through:

Saint-Côme-d’Olt - one of "most beautiful villages in France"*
Estaing - one of most beautiful villages in France
Conques - one of most beautiful villages in France
Saint-Cirq-Lapopie - one of most beautiful villages in France - by heading north off the GR65 just before Bach if you do more than 25 Kms daily

Transport connections (rail/bus) available in Le Puy, Figeac, and Cahors. We skipped the stage Conques-Figeac on our second hike and took a bus or van from the tourist office. This will save 20 kms if you need to make up time and is one of the least attractive sections of the trail.

Bon chemin.

Tom

* designation of most beautiful villages in link below

http://www.france-beautiful-villages.org/en

Last edited:
I agree with those saying Le Puy to Figeac or Cahors, with a diversion along the Cele valley if you have enough time. It's quite tough walking compared with most parts of the CF, so you might do slightly fewer km per day. Depending on your time of year you might need to commit 24 to 48 hours ahead to book accommodation.

My highlights were the Aubrac for the wildness, Conques for the heritage and the singing(!) and the Quercy Causse and truffle forest before Cahors for the atmospheric solitude. Oh, and the robust French regional food!

Enjoy this wonderful pilgrim route!

I am considering the Le Puy to SJPdP route next year, probably in June. Can anyone offer an opinion on how this route compares in difficulty to the Primitive? I have done the CF in 2014 and CP in 2017.

Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another thing to mention is that the majority of the walkers on the Le Puy route are French and often only speak French. Some of the hosts have reasonable English though. A bit of school French will see you a long way.
The most up to date and comprehensive guide to both route and accommodation is MiamMiam Dodo. It's in French but uses lots of international symbols. Do seek the most recent edition.
Bon chemin!
Graham

I am considering the Le Puy to SJPdP route next year, probably in June. Can anyone offer an opinion on how this route compares in difficulty to the Primitive? I have done the CF in 2014 and CP in 2017.

Thanks.
I found them very similar in overall difficulty. The first days of the Le Puy route are harder, more like the first several days of the Norte. But, overall, I would say the Primitivo is a good comparison.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hi,
We went the first section of Le Puy during the second half of September. It was one of the most amazing experiences we ever had. The landscape is simply beautiful . We felt that every day we see different sights- forest, plateau, villages... and the feeling of serenity. There aren't many travelers along the way and it felt very intimate. I speak a little French and it was enough but made the coversations limited.
I am writing in our blog all the details and memories (have written only half the days till Espalion- I hope to finish by next week).
I would love to share it with all of you

https://fineshmakerway.com/walking-camino-santiago-de-compostela-le-puy-way/

The help that I received in this forum was valuable and I feel grateful .
Sharon

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back