• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions Rain Gear June/July Porto/Santiago

David Manzo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugese (2018)
Would appreciate your suggestions for rain gear. Walking from Porto (Central Route except for day 1 which is along the coast) to Santiago in late June and early July. Many thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the VDLP in June/July and bought a poncho, a windbreaker (the Arc'teryx Squamish) and I was carrying a silver hiking umbrella as well. It rained on 2 occasions with the heaviest being a drizzle and the Squamish was fine for this.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked the VDLP in June/July and bought a poncho, a windbreaker (the Arc'teryx Squamish) and I was carrying a silver hiking umbrella as well. It rained on 2 occasions with the heaviest being a drizzle and the Squamish was fine for this.
Since you hiked in June/July did you use your umbrella for shade?

Would appreciate your suggestions for rain gear. Walking from Porto (Central Route except for day 1 which is along the coast) to Santiago in late June and early July. Many thanks.
Light rain jacket. I think i had rain once in three consecutive CPs in the summer.

The first Camino I agonised over this forum for ages and eventually took a poncho, it rained for 2 days only, and the poncho was hopeless as it blew up all the time. It was way too long for me, and I had to cut a foot off the bottom with nail scissors. I never tried it before I went.
So the next time I took a coat, it only rained for one day, but there was no wind so the poncho would have been better. It covers your pack as well and you get more comfortable movement.
I guess a heavier weight poncho is probably the best option. They sell them in all the Galecian towns quite cheaply, buying one there was the better option.
I guess I've been lucky with the weather, other people seem to get a lot more rain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I carry a light rain jacket, and it has also sufficed quite well. My pack has a provided rain cover which is semi-effective. Some dampness is not the end of the world though, at least in my opinion. Much worse for me is the consequent thick squelching mud underfoot. Another pilgrim mentioned that they also used a poncho but in a wind it would balloon up and compromise their modesty(!)

I carry a light rain jacket, and it has also sufficed quite well. My pack has a provided rain cover which is semi-effective. Some dampness is not the end of the world though, at least in my opinion. Much worse for me is the consequent thick squelching mud underfoot. Another pilgrim mentioned that they also used a poncho but in a wind it would balloon up and compromise their modesty(!)
Yes, mine blew up right over my head, and almost came off. But I should probably have purchased one with a heavier fabric.

in June/July I'd be more worried about the heat then the rain. Portugal is usually dry at this time of the year, and Galicia is only 4-5 days of walking from Tui. Even if it rains it won't stay for days like that and dries up fast. Wouldn't take rain trousers for sure, no gaiters either, maybe just a very light rain jacket. Was enough last year in late Apr-begining of May. Sunblock and long-sleeved tops were more apropriate against the sunburns then.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
David,

A general note on raingear--it is not to keep you dry; it is to keep you warm so that you don't develop hypothermia. Heavy rain gear will protect you from the rain, but the sweat inside can get you just as wet. This is especially important on a summer Camino where getting hypothermia is less likely (but not impossible) but sweating inside rain gear is very possible.

That being said, my wife loves her Sea to Summit UltraSil Nano Poncho (about 5oz; not the heavier one that is also a tarp). She is a hobbit and the poncho covers most of her. She had one of those breathable poncho from Eurpoe (Ferrino, I believe), but gave it up as too heavy. The poncho design, which allows air to circulate under it, makes the "breathable" (until it wets out--about 45 minutes) unnecessary.

I've always carried a rain jacket instead because I also use it as my only warm layer on a summer Camino (ponchos, precisely because they get more air circulating, and are not as warm). Currently, the best I've found is the Columbia Caldorado jacket. Better because it uses OutDry, which will not wet out (and therefore lose its breathability). And it has decent vents down the side, although often I just end up leaving the front zipper open to vent (again, I'm not worried about the drops of rain that get on the front of my shirt--when I'm walking I'm generating so much heat that it will dry).

For a summer Camino I agree with the suggestion to not bring rain pants--they would be too hot. Instead, I'd bring a rain kilt. Lighter to carry (2-3 oz), and much cooler. Look at the small cottage manufacturers, especially ULA, Zpacks, Antigravity Gear, Helium Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs and Enlightend Equipment.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Walked in Big rain with a light poncho that had a hood in Camino Frances. Very important that the hood had a string to tie under the chin. Under the poncho a hat. This was plenty as the clothes stayed dry, yes there was wind. Ended in Porto in July...no rain there and then. Poncho was light and tiny to carry. All good. However, when the rain did come in Portugal....it was short of a hurricane and people ran for cover....short lived about 20min. but the damage was jawdropping. But in Porto...nothing.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back