• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions where to start. Le Puy or Geneva

Julene

Time of past OR future Camino
Saint jean pied de port to santiago 2014 and 2016.
Le puy to saint jean 2018
Hi
I have walked the Frensch way twice starting at SJPDP to Santiago_Once alone and once with my 20year old daughter.
We are planning on walking in France next year.
I would love suggestions on whether we should start our walk in Geneva or in Le Puy.
We have aprox 4 weeks. Would mid April still be too cold?
I read that the way is not so well marked from Geneva?
Any suggestions??

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the Forum, Julene!

whether we should start our walk in Geneva or in Le Puy.
It depends on your preferences. From Geneva to Le Puy is approx 4 weeks. From Le Puy to SJPP is approx 5-6 weeks. There are fewer walkers, and therefore less infrastructure, on the Geneva section. However, "less" is different from "none". And if you walk the Geneva route this year, you can pick up your journey in Le Puy the next time.

Cold is a relative sensation. Mid-April still counts as early Spring in those parts, and much of both routes is at some elevation.

Nowhere else in Europe is as profusely marked as the C. Frances in Spain. But the route from Geneva is adequately (usually) marked. As everywhere off the CF, the walker is responsible for monitoring their own position with maps, Googlemaps or similar, and situational awareness.

Any suggestions??
There are huge sections of this forum devoted to both the Geneva and the Le Puy routes. They make wonderful winter reading. Blogs (mine, GitteHaare) are also very useful reading.

I travelled in June and July. It was extremely hot during the second week of July (40+°C).
You will be on the GR-65 the entire time.

The route from Geneva to Le Puy (Via Gebennensis) is well marked. I used the very helpful yellow guidebook from HERE (click on PATHS, then on the Guides we publish). It contains maps, elevation charts, accommodation lists, phone numbers, etc. I stayed in gites and accueil jacquaires. I highly recommend the camping in Saint-Genix-sur-Guiers. I walked for 13 days. I enjoyed this route for its beauty and solitude.
Chemin de Saint-Jacques.jpg

The crowds begin in Le Puy but thin out after Conques. I walked from Le Puy to SJPP (Via Podiensis) in 22 days. I used two guides...The Miam Miam Dodo and the Michelin Chemins de Compostelle. After Conques I was by myself most of the time. Stayed mostly in gites and accueil jacquaires. I stayed with the nuns in Vaylats and had a beautiful home to myself in Montcuq. Do stay with Vince in Espalais. Best meal was in Uharte-Mixe at l'Escargot.
Miam Miam Dodo.png Michelin Chemins de Compostelle.png

Enjoy your planning. Bon chemin.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi. I walked both routes twice.
The Geneva route is fascinating, very well marked. Essential to have the yellow guidebook from the Association St Jacques de Rhone d'Alpes as it contains addresses and phone nos of Accueil Jacquaires. These are families who welcome pilgrims into their homes to eat and sleep. You leave a donation. There is also a good amount of gite communal accommodation along the route.
It is however challenging as there are considerable ups and downs on a daily basis and April could still see snow. Allow about 3 weeks for this route. It took me 18 days.
Le Puy route is lovely. Much busier with pilgrims and walking groups.

Hi. I walked both routes twice.
The Geneva route is fascinating, very well marked. Essential to have the yellow guidebook from the Association St Jacques de Rhone d'Alpes as it contains addresses and phone nos of Accueil Jacquaires. These are families who welcome pilgrims into their homes to eat and sleep. You leave a donation. There is also a good amount of gite communal accommodation along the route.
It is however challenging as there are considerable ups and downs on a daily basis and April could still see snow. Allow about 3 weeks for this route. It took me 18 days.
Le Puy route is lovely. Much busier with pilgrims and walking groups.
Thank you for the info.
Think i will start in Le Puy.Hoping walking jn France will be as good as Spain.

Hi
I have walked the Frensch way twice starting at SJPDP to Santiago_Once alone and once with my 20year old daughter.
I would love suggestions on whether we should start our walk in Geneva or in Le Puy.
Any suggestions??
Hi
Any suggestions??
Thank you for the info.
Think i will start in Le Puy.Hoping walking jn France will be as good as Spain.
If your walking in France...I highly recommends the Way from Cluny to SJPDP, and beyond, Yhe Cluny Way is fantastic: Bourgogne, Beaujolais...the wide Loire Valley...amazing. Sufficient accommodations and very well marked. Pick up a guide at the Tourist Office, Cluny - it’s sll your need for cheap
Hi
Any suggestions??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cluny! The Bourgogne (hills) Mountains, The Beaujolais Mountains (hills), The wide Loire River Valley...quiet, well marked, Pilgrims remain a happy surprise to the villagers. Clean, new mayor managed village Gîtes most of the way; a night or two in a Chateau. A very unused and memorable Chemin. I purchased my 2017 guide booklet at the Tourist Office in Cluny. It’s all you’d need to randonnée to Le Puis. The local wines and meals in these regions are worth ANY detour.

Cluny! The Bourgogne (hills) Mountains, The Beaujolais Mountains (hills), The wide Loire River Valley...quiet, well marked, Pilgrims remain a happy surprise to the villagers. Clean, new mayor managed village Gîtes most of the way; a night or two in a Chateau. A very unused and memorable Chemin. I purchased my 2017 guide booklet at the Tourist Office in Cluny. It’s all you’d need to randonnée to Le Puis. The local wines and meals in these regions are worth ANY detour.
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I have looked at a few sites. Where did you end and do you think we should start in Cluny in stead of Geneva and go all the way to SJPDP? Also suggestion for best time to go. Were thinking of going in April but if it is too cold still can move it forward to May.

First, I do not know the Camino from Geneva. Yet by beginning in Cluny, perhaps the most historic former Benedictine House in Europe, you add 15 - 17 days to the Le Pui - SJPdP Chemin. Cluny is a town worth a couple of days exploration. As you’ll be in low mountains quite a bit, beginning later may be better. Forewarned, you will not be surrounded by fellow Pilgrims. I often had the 4 - 6 person Gîtes to myself. There are many inexpensive alternative small hotels easily found and booked by town tourist offices. Bon Chemin! This is a Road Less Travelled.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back