• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions?

Jakke

Time of past OR future Camino
Eleven different ones in Poland, Finland, Portugal and Spain
This is a matter of taste, so no arguing. I am out of necessity a vegetarian and I have diabetes.
What Portuguese dish would you ask for if you were me?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Addition: fish (not crab, squid etc) is okay and so are eggs

This is a matter of taste, so no arguing. I am out of necessity a vegetarian and I have diabetes.
What Portuguese dish would you ask for if you were me?

Hi

Whether you are an insulin dependent diabetic or not is an extremely important consideration, as, you will need to ensure you have cool storage for your insulin.... then, of course, your blood sugar will determine the amount of insulin needed. The camino is quite a strenuous exercise, so it is quite taxing to our body..... indeed there is a thread somewhere in the forum about pilgrims losing huge amounts of weight despite "eating like a horse".

Talk to your doctor as well, as there might be certain restrictions for you, although currently, there are quite a lot of new research showing that carbohydrates is actually bad for you, provided you are not insulin dependent..... in fact, a high fat diet is actually important for non insulin diabetics....

If you are non insulin dependent, then you should, in theory, eat most natural products but, do cut down on carbohydrates as these breakdown to sugar, which then contributes to high blood sugar..... dont forget your meds, but do talk to your doctor prior to going on the camino! In fact, a blood sugar test before the Camino and one after may be an eye opener!

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Of course. Good advice. Fortunately it is not too bad. I have diabetes 2 and the situation has improved markedly since I made the switch to vegetarian food. Weight loss helped as well. Salmon is my main source of fat here in Finland. This country, btw, is an excellent place to hike and practice for the camino!

That sounds like the dish we eat for Christmas. Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Portugal I would have grilled fish and a salad - and maybe a few fries, since they'll be there on the plate anyway. There is an enormous variety of fish to be had - usually served as a whole, small fish, simply dressed with olive oil and lemon.

It will cost a little more than the (boring) three-course lunch, which is often meat-based, but it will always be delicious.

(The last time I was in Portugal, in June, I had a different kind of fish every day, for six days. Every single kind was delicious, and because they were so simply prepared, I could really taste the difference between the different kinds.)

In Portugal I would have grilled fish and a salad - and maybe a few fries, since they'll be there on the plate anyway. There is an enormous variety of fish to be had - usually served as a whole, small fish, simply dressed with olive oil and lemon.

It will cost a little more than the (boring) three-course lunch, which is often meat-based, but it will always be delicious.

(The last time I was in Portugal, in June, I had a different kind of fish every day, for six days. Every single kind was delicious, and because they were so simply prepared, I could really taste the difference between the different kinds.)
Ah, that will help me a lot. I love fish. Mange takk, Heidi!

Hi, Jakke,
If you eat fish, you will have absolutely no problem getting by in Portugal. As Heidi describes, freshly grilled fish is easy to find on the menu and absolutely delicious. Unlike their neighbors to the east, Portuguese cooks do not put meat in their vegetable dishes. Instead, the fish is always served with freshly cooked, totally unadorned vegetables. Most common are carrots, broccoli, and couve (something like collard greens). And the potatoes are delivious, nothing like the industrially produced potatoes I get in the supermarket in the US. (And while I was searching for the translation for couve, I found this list of vegetable translations from Portuguese to English, which might help you.)
http://www.sk.com.br/sk-veget.html

Cod/bacalhau is never served fresh in Portugal, they only serve dishes made with dried cod. There are many, hundreds in fact, types of bacalhau dishes. Gomes de Sa (with eggs, onions and potatoes) and Natas (kind of a bacalhau cooked like macaroni and cheese, with lots of cream, a real comfort food, if a bit heavy) are the most popular. Heidi, could the dish you describe be Bacalhau Ze do Pipo? http://portuguesediner.com/tiamaria/bacalhau-a-ze-pipo/.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Heidi, could the dish you describe be Bacalhau Ze do Pipo? http://portuguesediner.com/tiamaria/bacalhau-a-ze-pipo/.

Yes, I think that is the one, same as the one I found in wikibooks.
I was bounced off a flight at Lisbon airport during a busy Xmas season, and had to wait all day for another flight. TAP gave me some food vouchers, so I tried this dish for lunch in the food court. It was delicious. Jill (not Heidi ;))

Thanks, Jill! I'll try it. I was reacting to HeidiL -- your thoughts are welcome as well of course ;).

Hi, Jakke,
If you eat fish, you will have absolutely no problem getting by in Portugal. As Heidi describes, freshly grilled fish is easy to find on the menu and absolutely delicious. Unlike their neighbors to the east, Portuguese cooks do not put meat in their vegetable dishes. Instead, the fish is always served with freshly cooked, totally unadorned vegetables. Most common are carrots, broccoli, and couve (something like collard greens). And the potatoes are delivious, nothing like the industrially produced potatoes I get in the supermarket in the US. (And while I was searching for the translation for couve, I found this list of vegetable translations from Portuguese to English, which might help you.)
http://www.sk.com.br/sk-veget.html

Cod/bacalhau is never served fresh in Portugal, they only serve dishes made with dried cod. There are many, hundreds in fact, types of bacalhau dishes. Gomes de Sa (with eggs, onions and potatoes) and Natas (kind of a bacalhau cooked like macaroni and cheese, with lots of cream, a real comfort food, if a bit heavy) are the most popular. Heidi, could the dish you describe be Bacalhau Ze do Pipo? http://portuguesediner.com/tiamaria/bacalhau-a-ze-pipo/.

Very helpful, thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back