• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suitcase Transportation and Storage From SJPP to Santiago - Winter Caminos

Sam - AU

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Apr/May 2018, Feb/Mar 2019 .... upcoming Nov/Dec 2019
Just putting this here so fellow and future Winter pilgrims can find the information I’ve struggled to find.

I’ve now twice been faced with the logistical confusion of trying to get a suitcase to Santiago in the off peak season for after my camino when all of the usual options have closed for the season.

Option 1:
Mail the suitcase from within Spain to Ivar for storage in Santiago available all year round. This works IF you are starting within Spain and if so is super easy.
My first winter I mailed a large suitcase from Madrid through Correos (Spanish mail service) for about €35 to Ivar to store (storage costs are somewhere on this forum), I then got a train to Pamplona and started from there avoiding the snow storm on the Pyrenees at the time. (You can also post from Pamplona or anywhere along the route at this time of year)

Option 2:
This time around I really felt like SJPP was the right starting point. However with no transport at this time of year from Pamplona to SJPP option 1 wouldn’t work. I’ve read mixed reviews about the French postal system and no information on costs, Express Bourricot is also closed.
The second and easy option, that I didn’t find referenced anywhere at all through my research last year or this year, is that Jacotrans actually offers this service year round. You need to contact them via email to organise, they were super helpful and it was easy enough. Cost for collection from your hotel in SJPP, for up to 20kg, and inclusive of storage at their office in Santiago is €60. Payable online via a payment link they will email you.

Hope this saves some other pilgrims hours of research.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do you know exactly where Jacotrans stores the luggage at Santiago, office location? Express Bourricot uses the Albergue Hostal Lasalle.

Just curious...

Do you know exactly where Jacotrans stores the luggage at Santiago, office location? Express Bourricot uses the Albergue Hostal Lasalle.

Just curious...

Storage is at the Jacotrans Office
Rúa de Laverde Ruiz, 5, 15702 Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, Spain

It’s about a 11 min walk from the Cathedral according to google maps, but they can also organise drop off at your hotel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Just curious...
The great advantage of having your luggage stored at Hostal Lasalle is that they have a 24 hr reception desk, so you can pick up your bag anytime you want.
Also, they will give you a 20% discount on a room.

The great advantage of having your luggage stored at Hostal Lasalle is that they have a 24 hr reception desk, so you can pick up your bag anytime you want.
Also, they will give you a 20% discount on a room.

Sure ... but Express Bourricot doesn’t operate outside of peak season. So for us winter pilgrims this isn’t an option.

Last edited:

It’s about a 11 min walk from the Cathedral according to google maps, but they can also organise drop off at your hotel.

Thank you. That helps others as well.

FYI, the address is just off Rua do Horreo, on the left as you are walking towards the train station. It is perhaps a block or two past Plaza de Galicia.

Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Just putting this here so fellow and future Winter pilgrims can find the information I’ve struggled to find.

I’ve now twice been faced with the logistical confusion of trying to get a suitcase to Santiago in the off peak season for after my camino when all of the usual options have closed for the season.

Option 1:
Mail the suitcase from within Spain to Ivar for storage in Santiago available all year round. This works IF you are starting within Spain and if so is super easy.
My first winter I mailed a large suitcase from Madrid through Correos (Spanish mail service) for about €35 to Ivar to store (storage costs are somewhere on this forum), I then got a train to Pamplona and started from there avoiding the snow storm on the Pyrenees at the time. (You can also post from Pamplona or anywhere along the route at this time of year)

Option 2:
This time around I really felt like SJPP was the right starting point. However with no transport at this time of year from Pamplona to SJPP option 1 wouldn’t work. I’ve read mixed reviews about the French postal system and no information on costs, Express Bourricot is also closed.
The second and easy option, that I didn’t find referenced anywhere at all through my research last year or this year, is that Jacotrans actually offers this service year round. You need to contact them via email to organise, they were super helpful and it was easy enough. Cost for collection from your hotel in SJPP, for up to 20kg, and inclusive of storage at their office in Santiago is €60. Payable online via a payment link they will email you.

Hope this saves some other pilgrims hours of research.
I’m also looking for the way to send my luggage from SJPP to Santiago in Nov. thanks for those advise.

I’m also looking for the way to send my luggage from SJPP to Santiago in Nov. thanks for those advise.

Happy that the info can also help another pilgrim!

We used Jaco trans to take our bicycle transport bags from Burgos to their storage in Santiago. Despite sending dimensions and photos, a day after they had collected the bags, they contacted me to tell me it would cost me a second 50 euros (total 100!) to continue transport all the way to Santiago. I had no choice but to pay. In Santiago they said it was impossible to deliver to our hotel so we walked the 14 minute walk from the cathedral and hotel to their offices in the pouring rain and carried them back again by foot. I will never use Jacotrans again.
However, we used Correos for daily transfer of small bags from albergue to albergue. I booked and paid upfront, and simply whatsapped them.the name of the next nights stop before 9pm each night. They were super efficient, super polite, helpful, ontime and always replied with "transport confirmed, have a good night and buen Camino". They were brilliant

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We used Jaco trans to take our bicycle transport bags from Burgos to their storage in Santiago. Despite sending dimensions and photos, a day after ...

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Jacotrans. Hoping that as I’m just transporting a suitcase which is standard dimensions compared to bicycle transport bags, there won’t be any issues next week. Unfortunately the Correos daily transportation from Albergue to Albergue service is only available within Spain and, along with the majority of usual services, shuts down for the Winter also.

Ivar, are you still storing bags for people in Santiago?
Is there a website where I can see rates and rules?
I've done a search and so far, can't find info. I'll keep looking.

Hi Annie,
I saw in another thread that Wise Pilgrim has now taken this over from Ivar, the Casa Ivar website says the following:
"In 2021 Michael will be running the Luggage Storage (same address, same storage room, just Michael and not Ivar :). Please get in touch with him regarding deliveries and pickup. We have no fixed hours for pickup yet, so you need to get in touch ahead of time to organize to meet up.
- Contact Michael: michael@wisepilgrim.com"

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back