• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Summer and 2 Pairs of Socks

SirRon

Time of past OR future Camino
May-July 2023
Man my feet can sweat in the summer. I apologize if that is TMI. You don't even know my real name yet. Well it's Matt. Nice to meet you. So back to my sweaty feet. I completely understand the notion of wearing two socks to minimize the chances of blisters but I'm worried about overly hot and sweaty feet. So for those who walked in the summer and DIDN'T wear two socks. What was your foot strategy? Vaseline or foot cream? Good socks (Maybe the injinji toe socks ?) Changing them multiple times a days? Professional foot masseuse accompanied you? LOL

Thanks in advance!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Man my feet can sweat in the summer. I apologize if that is TMI. You don't even know my real name yet. Well it's Matt. Nice to meet you. So back to my sweaty feet. I completely understand the notion of wearing two socks to minimize the chances of blisters but I'm worried about overly hot and sweaty feet. So for those who walked in the summer and DIDN'T wear two socks. What was your foot strategy? Vaseline or foot cream? Good socks (Maybe the injinji toe socks ?) Changing them multiple times a days? Professional foot masseuse accompanied you? LOL

Thanks in advance!
I have just finished the Caminho do Tejo, and will now continue on the CP. I am using a single sock approach this year. My thoughts:
  • Prepare your feet. Harden them up if you haven't already started. Closer to starting,trim calloused skin from the heals and sides of your feet.
  • Know your feet. If you know where you blister, prepare to tape the parts that do. I prefer a paper tape for toes, and something like Fixomull stretch for larger areas. Also know when a hot-spot is forming, and be prepared to treat it.
I use foot powder in my socks. It doesn't need much, and most contain an antifungal that goes some way to stopping infection. I still carry an antifungal creme just in case.

Read Rebecca Rushton's Blister Prevention website. I think it is one of the best resources available right now.

I have just finished the Caminho do Tejo, and will now continue on the CP. I am using a single sock approach this year. My thoughts:
  • Prepare your feet. Harden them up if you haven't already started. Closer to starting,trim calloused skin from the heals and sides of your feet.
  • Know your feet. If you know where you blister, prepare to tape the parts that do. I prefer a paper tape for toes, and something like Fixomull stretch for larger areas. Also know when a hot-spot is forming, and be prepared to treat it.
I use foot powder in my socks. It doesn't need much, and most contain an antifungal that goes some way to stopping infection. I still carry an antifungal creme just in case.

Read Rebecca Rushton's Blister Prevention website. I think it is one of the best resources available right now.
Thanks Doug!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well... I am still in the 2 pairs of socks camp - even in summer (and I live in the desert in So. Arizona).

But - vaseline may work for you. Try it out before you go though! But "how does vaseline work with sweaty feet" would be my question! I couldn't stand vaseline on my feet and my feet don't sweat (at least not more than most people).

I suggest good socks, change frequently, and add some foot powder to help with the sweaty feet. And make sure your shoes are well broken in before leaving to help prevent new shoe blisters.

I like the idea of a personal masseuse! But not just for my feet ;) My back and shoulders would not want to be neglected.

My feet sweat a lot, so I definitely have never used Vaseline or cream. It's soft enough down there. ;)

I usually go with performance noncotton socks that I've trained with a lot. And I put individual gel sleeves on a couple of hammer toes that tend to rub/blister their mates if not kept separated. YMMV, though.

I've never worn two pairs of socks. I do however like WrightSocks Coolmesh double layer socks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I apologize if that is TMI.
Trust me, we have seen much much worse! 😂 :eek:

Just to make the point that we are all different... I don't like and therefore don't use either 2-pairs, vaseline, foot powder, double Wright socks, or toe socks. I prefer a single layer, fairly light weight sock. But other people swear by those, and I admit that I have not been 100% successful in my quest for perfect foot treatment.

My only advice is to deliberately test the various options, and pick what seems best for you. Maybe you will want to take a couple of different pairs for different conditions.

So for those who walked in the summer and DIDN'T wear two socks. What was your foot strategy? Vaseline or foot cream? Good socks (Maybe the injinji toe socks ?) Changing them multiple times a days? Professional foot masseuse accompanied you? LOL
Good quality but thin running socks.
Paper tape around problem toes, and a thin wrap of lambswool. For years this has always worked until this year, when my feet were swollen after flying and my shoes were a tad tight, width-wise. Add wet. In that situation, nothing worked.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On 5 Caminos+ I always wear only one pair of socks at a time and do not prepare my feet at all, other than covering a very occasional hot spot during the first week of walking. I always wear Wigwam cushioned socks with very good luck; they are a combination of several fibers, but no wool. I do have a pair of wool Darn Tough socks, but they can feel a bit hot in summer.

I never overthink the socks thing for walking the Camino, especially during the summer. I always just wear one pair of thin, synthetic running socks and blisters were never an issue for me. I don't get blisters wearing them when I run and walk off the Camino and I don't get them walking the Camino. Funny how things work that way lol :D.
They are lightweight, washable, dry fast and inexpensive. I bring about six pairs with me and as they get all stretched out and funky from hand washing I just throw them away if need be.
741544-006-lf-run-in-3-pack-unisex-running-sock.png

I always just wear one pair of thin, synthetic running socks and blisters were never an issue for me.
I prefer using more robust socks with extra cushioning on the bottom for walking long distances as they caress my feet. My feet are pretty easy to please, but yours must be remarkable.🙂

I prefer using more robust socks with extra cushioning on the bottom for walking long distances as they caress my feet. My feet are pretty easy to please, but yours must be remarkable.🙂
Those type of running socks are so breathable and are sturdy for how thin they are. Also I find them to be very friction free to my skin. Almost slick. I suppose that aids in blister prevention. As far as cushioning goes I depend upon good after market insoles in my shoes. I never use the ones that come with the shoes.

There are plenty alternatives to double socks. But, with respect to "double socks", to my mind, Wrightsocks are pretty damn effective--one pair of socks with separate layers. As to cushioning, that should be provided by your shoes--pay attention to stack height, more stack height equals more cushioning. The thicker the socks the more likely that perspiration will cause the socks to knot and that will create an opportunity for sheer force, and blisters. Have look at davebugg's posts on socks. He makes a great case for single relatively thin smooth fitting socks.

I’m a wright socks fan, but even so, I change my socks every few hours and hang the damp pair on my pack to dry out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don’t wear 2 pairs of socks, but am a firm believer in Wright socks (2 layers that rub against each other, not against your skin). I walked Camino Frances with no blisters or foot problems. I have very dry feet. So at the end of my almost 800k Camino, wearing boots instead of my typical summer sandals, my feet looked better than after a typical summer. If your feet sweat a lot, you may do better with more pairs of socks, changed during the day, than with multiple pairs of socks at a time holding moisture in. Who knows? Good luck and buen Camino!

I am, as others, using wrightsocks. They thinnest variant, but they are still warmer than a normal, thin sock.
So far, they worked well for me. But i carry an extra pair (so 3 total), so that i can swithch them during the day if I feel like it.

I have to stress one other thing: shoes might have a way bigger influence on sweaty feet than the sock. If you got a problem there, chose the most breathable shoe that you can find. So no goretex, no leather!
Here's a picture of what I'm using:
1651554881645.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thanks in advance!
My other half uses Vaseline, I wear a good fitting shoe and lace my boot appropriately. I tried the liner sock once and after a couple hours of walking they came off. Feet sweat, socks absorb the moisture and you got blisters. Best thing is learn how lace and knot your boots.

Last edited:
Reading this thread it is clear there is no one answer fits all.
On my last Camino in 2018, used Darn Tough Merino socks, single layer, Lowe Renagade hiking shoes and at the end of the day massaged my feet with Gewhol Extra (Fantastic), absolutely no blisters or problems, but did get shin splints after jumping a stream, so my own stupid fault.
Coming back this month and unfortunately the shin splints seem to be a permanent injury (now in my mid 60's), so I am taking a different approach. I have switched to Goretex Trail Runners that have all but eliminated the shin splints and because the Goretex does not breathe that well am now using Falke Merino/Silk TK2 trekking socks with great cushioning, and super thin on top that keeps my feet dry, as good if not better than the Darn Tough. I will still use the Gewhol 👍

Thanks in advance!
HI Matt
You can get socks with anti-blister lining in them and the lining is quite cooling. I have used them and found them quite effective. However, don't go for sock liners that purport to have this effect as because they are not part of the actual sock, they are prone to slipping. I also use Teva trekking sandals for days when the terrain is easier and these can be worn with or without socks.
Buen Camino
Vince

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks in advance!
Personally I've had horendous trouble with feet problems over the years . but now have taped up my problem areas with lueko tape it's a zinc oxide very sticky tape does not come off shower etc have done this for last 3 years no problems I wear 2 pairs thin cotton socks.

On 5 Caminos+ I always wear only one pair of socks at a time and do not prepare my feet at all, other than covering a very occasional hot spot during the first week of walking. I always wear Wigwam cushioned socks with very good luck; they are a combination of several fibers, but no wool. I do have a pair of wool Darn Tough socks, but they can feel a bit hot in summer.
Agree, Darn Tough can get a bit warm, but they are a great fit for me and as long as I let feet air and dry no probs do far

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For me also helps a good insole! The ones that usually come with any boot are synthetic so that makes your feet to sweat more.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My other half uses Vaseline, I wear a good fitting shoe and lace my boot appropriately. I tried the liner sock once and after a couple hours of walking they came off. Feet sweat, socks absorb the moisture and you got blisters. Best thing is learn how lace and knot your boots.
I sometimes carry some Vaseline for my toes, really the only part of my feet that seems to make contact with my hiking shoes, specifically the outer edge of my small toes. So I'll rub Vaseline on them before I put on my socks and it helps. The Vaseline is also good for any other chafing.
I also massage my feet at the end of the day and cold soak them when I can. A little bit of Vaseline helps in the foot massages.

Thanks in advance!
Hola @Sirron
I am a two sock pilgrim - a thin liner pair (with toes) and a thicker (moderately so) second pair. Yes from May onward there is the issue of sweaty feet. My solution - every 90 mins (6/7 km) I stop - good if there is cafe nearby. I take off the boots and outer socks and let the liners cool down. I change my socks daily - unless I have had a very short day - say only 10/12 km. If you are walking after a lunch stop you might need to change your outer socks before starting out again. I think I had two liner pairs and three (maybe 4) thicker socks. Your feet are the most important part of your camino. Best wishes.

I walked summer 2019, some days were really hot. I pretaped my known hotspots daily, wore Wright socks - double layered sock and never had any issues. When I stopped during the day I would remove my shoes and let me feet air out a little bit, sometimes even removing and changing out my socks if I was super sweaty.
The whole sock - shoe - foot care thing is so different for everybody - you just kindof need to experiment and figure out what works best for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola @Sirron
I am a two sock pilgrim - a thin liner pair (with toes) and a thicker (moderately so) second pair. Yes from May onward there is the issue of sweaty feet. My solution - every 90 mins (6/7 km) I stop - good if there is cafe nearby. I take off the boots and outer socks and let the liners cool down. I change my socks daily - unless I have had a very short day - say only 10/12 km. If you are walking after a lunch stop you might need to change your outer socks before starting out again. I think I had two liner pairs and three (maybe 4) thicker socks. Your feet are the most important part of your camino. Best wishes.
Totally agree on the importance of the feet! So when you change your outer socks, do you change your inner? or no?

Reading this thread it is clear there is no one answer fits all.
On my last Camino in 2018, used Darn Tough Merino socks, single layer, Lowe Renagade hiking shoes and at the end of the day massaged my feet with Gewhol Extra (Fantastic), absolutely no blisters or problems, but did get shin splints after jumping a stream, so my own stupid fault.
Coming back this month and unfortunately the shin splints seem to be a permanent injury (now in my mid 60's), so I am taking a different approach. I have switched to Goretex Trail Runners that have all but eliminated the shin splints and because the Goretex does not breathe that well am now using Falke Merino/Silk TK2 trekking socks with great cushioning, and super thin on top that keeps my feet dry, as good if not better than the Darn Tough. I will still use the Gewhol 👍
Gehwol Extra is the SH*T haha! Amazing stuff, never had a blister on the whole of the CF.

This year I am also still debating what to do about my sock situation.. I got several Smartwool light hike socks, love them, but now in Spain where its already 25C+ everyday my feet get super hot. As long I switch up my socks to dry ones, I never have any problems, but I still find it very uncomfortable..

Anyone know of any natural fibre (wool, bamboo...) hiking socks that are perfect for summer?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Gehwol Extra is the SH*T haha! Amazing stuff, never had a blister on the whole of the CF.

This year I am also still debating what to do about my sock situation.. I got several Smartwool light hike socks, love them, but now in Spain where its already 25C+ everyday my feet get super hot. As long I switch up my socks to dry ones, I never have any problems, but I still find it very uncomfortable..

Anyone know of any natural fibre (wool, bamboo...) hiking socks that are perfect for summer?
Shin Splints are the worse and I get them walking around the block, all the time! Working on strengthening my ankles. Hope you healed well.

Last edited:

"Best thing is learn how lace and knot your boots." I'm new to hiking, so please forgive this ignorant question but how and where would I learn to lace and knot my boots? Is lacing hiking boots different than regular shoes???? What kind of knots should I use? I will You Tube and Google this as well, but I would especially appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

"Best thing is learn how lace and knot your boots." I'm new to hiking, so please forgive this ignorant question but how and where would I learn to lace and knot my boots? Is lacing hiking boots different than regular shoes???? What kind of knots should I use? I will You Tube and Google this as well, but I would especially appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
It can depend on an uphill day or going downhill. There are videos or take a trip to REI. Main thing is not allow your feet to move in the boot.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I am a believer in preventative taping. I use leuko tape. Takes a bit of effort to get it off because it's very sticky, but it doesn;t roll off during the day. Used it on my 4 previous caminos on all toes, heel and ball of feet. Then I use Thorlo socks. But who knows other methods work too, I am sticking with mine because it worked for ....me :) and a bit off topic...I also always wear preventative knee straps .

Thank you, I will read this. I had no idea the importance of lacing and knots. Makes sense but I've never heard or read anyone mentioning this important tip. Thanks again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am a believer in preventative taping. I use leuko tape. Takes a bit of effort to get it off because it's very sticky, but it doesn;t roll off during the day. Used it on my 4 previous caminos on all toes, heel and ball of feet. Then I use Thorlo socks. But who knows other methods work too, I am sticking with mine because it worked for ....me :) and a bit off topic...I also always wear preventative knee straps .
Thank you for the great advice. I see you are very experience and I am at the getting fit stage. I'm also still at the Google stage, good thing, my next search will be "What the heck are preventative knee straps?." lol Thank you, I will continue with my research.

Thank you for the great advice. I see you are very experience and I am at the getting fit stage. I'm also still at the Google stage, good thing, my next search will be "What the heck are preventative knee straps?." lol Thank you, I will continue with my research.
I think the better words for knee straps are "patellar tendon support straps" :)

Wow - Such variety.

For me, I had my shoes professionally fitted to make sure I did not have too much movement in the first place. And then I learnt how to lace my shoes (yes, very important).

I also use flexible tape where I think I might get a hot spot.

I very rarely wear two sets of socks and never felt the need for vaseline.

Your mileage will undoubtedly vary.

Best of luck with your planning, you have come to a very good forum for advice.

Thanks in advance!
I only ever wear one pair. But I am a firm believer in preventative taping.
It does help to do some long walks beforehand so you will know where to tape.

Last edited:
Indeed, as said above, the decision sequence is rather following:
trail>season>load>>footwear>socks<<feet.
In case of Camino now:
trail: light/flat,
season: summer/warm,
load: light,
footwear: trail runners/sandals/well ventilated trail shoes if more stability needed. Proper lacing matters, check out those tricks with "heel lock" etc. Proper insoles may matter even more, if foot anatomy requires.
socks: single, synthetic, some fraction of wool may suppress odour, if thats concern. proper sizing - too large will promote blistering, too small may cause loss of toenails,
feet: keep dry and clean, tape hotspots and put some "vaseline" between toes in the morning. stop and take off shoes for a short while if it feels uncomfortable when walking.
Finally, stay well hydrated at all times to prevent feet swelling..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Doug. What are your thoughts about using just fixomul directly on the blister? Also, what do you think of using lamb's wool when you are first feeling a hot spot and then fixomul if it develops into a blister. Thanks!

Doug. What are your thoughts about using just fixomul directly on the blister? Also, what do you think of using lamb's wool when you are first feeling a hot spot and then fixomul if it develops into a blister. Thanks!
I would use the tape on a hot spot. The idea being that the friction will occur on the tape, not your skin. Lamb's wool can still move and rub on your skin. (at least that's my theory 😊)
I wouldn't apply only Fixomull to a blister. You would risk tearing the skin.

Last edited:
I wouldn't apply fixomul or similar dressings directly to a blister, but I would use it on a hot spot to try and prevent a blister forming. I have occassionally used hikers wool between problem toes, but I just as often use a paper based tape.

My view is that once a blister has formed, you need a dressing that protects the blister while it is healing. This might be a torroidal dressing or a tubular dressing (on toes). I would use fixomul to hold these in place if I had to, but strapping tape or a paper tape would be just as effective.

If you have an unroofed blister, and use a colloidal dressing, then using fixomul to completely cover the dressing with a cm or so of margin is a good approach to both keeping the dressing in place, and preventing the outside of the dressing from sticking to your socks. Trim the fixomull so that the corners are rounded.

I think you will find these approaches are consistent with those recommended by Rebecca Rushton on her website. If they are not, I would defer to her advice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.