• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Summer Camino

LiteTraveller

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Burgos 2013
Burgos to Santiago 2014
SJPP to Santiago 2015
I would love some advice about walking in July. I have completed the CF twice and wanted to start the VDlP but only have three weeks from the beginning of July and maybe this time of the year is not a good idea. There are two of us in our mid 60's - both fit and like the heat. Perhaps we should start something else and open to ideas. We plan to walk every year from now on until we drop.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would love some advice about walking in July. I have completed the CF twice and wanted to start the VDlP but only have three weeks from the beginning of July and maybe this time of the year is not a good idea. There are two of us in our mid 60's - both fit and like the heat. Perhaps we should start something else and open to ideas. We plan to walk every year from now on until we drop.

Hi, LiteTraveller,

Welcome to the forum! You will find lots of people with your attitude here. I am also a proud member of the “walk every year till I drop” club.

I personally would not like the Vdlp in summer. In spring, it is an unbelievable paradise of wild flowers, green meadows, and streams. I have friends who like to walk in summer and have done southern routes in July and August, but it’s not for me. You like heat, so it may be for your. With three weeks, you could consider the Salvador-Primitivo combo. Start in Leon, 4 or 5 days to Oviedo, then the Primitivo — lots of info on the forum about stages. Any leftover days could be turned into a Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre (or Finisterre first) for 4-6 days.

There are plenty of routes up north where summer walks are glorious — Baztan, Olvidado, Vasco Interior, Invierno. The choices are many. And you will find people here who have walked all of these routes and are happy to give opinions. Buen camino, Laurie

I did the CP Central in three weeks from Porto to Finisterre during August 2018 and had a great time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked in July and August on the CF in 2016 and it was hot, but doable. It certainly encouraged us to get up and start walking early to avoid as much as possible the hottest part of the day. But the CF is in the northern part of Spain. While it was in the 30s on the CF, it was in the 40s down in Andalucia. And the VDLP has some longer stretches as well.

If you want to walk the VDLP in the summer, be aware that heat stroke and dehydration are real and significant threats. Always be sure to carry plenty of water. You might want to consider one of those shade umbrellas that can attach to your backpack. I would also, personally, bring a smart phone, make sure it is always charged while walking, and have emergency and cab numbers so that if you ever feel it is getting too much you can take a cab to the nearest village. You can always take a cab back to where you were picked up ten next day if you want to be purist about walking every step of the way.

Walking the VDLP in the summer is certainly doable. People do it. But it is not without its risks and dangers. If you are going to set out, let's make sure you make it to Santiago.

Another option for the summer if you are fit might be the Norte.

Hi Lite Traveller!
I started the VdlP on 2nd June 2015 to avoid the July high temperatures and as luck would have it, there was a heatwave! The heat was such in Sevilla (from memory, 36 deg.to start with) that we decided to take a bus and start from Mérida instead.
It can be done, obviously but you’ll need to carry a lot of water ( at least 3 litres). We also had those silver trekking umbrellas and bought re-hydrating powder (I forget the proper name) to add to some of the water. Both life-savers!
I love the heat (my husband doesn’t) but even I didn’t really enjoy it, it was hard work. It is also very difficult to sleep when the temperature at night doesn’t fall below 33 deg.
Before we reached Salamanca, the weather changed and it was raining, 12 deg. and we were cold!
With hindsight, I would personally advise against walking it in July.... Tempting I know when it is your only time-slot but....
I also walked the Via Francigena to Rome in July and it was really bad... but not as bad as the Via de la Plata!
(Sorry! )
PS: I should add that I live in the UK so I don’t have time to get used to high temperatures 😁

Last edited:
Thank you for the helpful replies. I think we may replan our start point and perhaps do a few weeks on the Norte or Portuguese. So much to think about!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.